• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wait though... what was the relevance of the tweet to a Captain Toad 2? I'd be quite happy to see that game get a sequel. Toad aside, it was an incredibly unique game.
On the tweet's thread several games have been mentioned that apparently were meant to release both this year and next but been delayed due to COVID.

Amongst them there was:
  • Captain Toad sequel
  • New Donkey Kong game
  • A 2D Metroid title
  • A new Pikmin title(no mention if 4 or another spinoff like Hey Pikmin)
  • New Kirby title(they're annual so this isn't a surprise)
  • Warioware
  • Wario Land Shake It Port
  • Pokémon Gen 4 remakes
  • A sequel to Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
  • Style Boutique remake
  • Apparently more titles were planned to get the Fire Emblem & Shadow Dragon NES translation treatment with Ayumi 's game in the works.
Again, it's just rumours but he did correctly leak some things about Pikmin 3 Deluxe, the 3D All Stars collection and I believe 3D World's port. Don't quote me but I believe he also leaked Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE's port.

But take it with a pinch of salt though as it does sound a little too good to be true.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
On the tweet's thread several games have been mentioned that apparently were meant to release both this year and next but been delayed due to COVID.

Amongst them there was:
  • Captain Toad sequel
  • New Donkey Kong game
  • A 2D Metroid title
  • Warioware
  • Pokémon Gen 4 remakes
  • Style Boutique remake
  • Apparently more titles were planned to get the Fire Emblem & Shadow Dragon NES translation treatment with Ayumi 's game in the works.
Again, it's just rumours but he did correctly leak some things about Pikmin 3 Deluxe, the 3D All Stars collection and I believe 3D World's port. Don't quote me but I believe he also leaked Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE's port.

But take it with a pinch of salt though as it does sound a little too good to be true.
I think the Famicom Detective localization is probably referring to the new remake that's coming out soon, and not a rerelease of the original game like Fire Emblem.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Amongst them there was:
  • Captain Toad sequel
  • New Donkey Kong game
  • A 2D Metroid title
  • Warioware
  • Pokémon Gen 4 remakes
  • Style Boutique remake

that reads like those leaked lists we get before every e3

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Amongst them there was:
  • Captain Toad sequel
  • New Donkey Kong game
  • A 2D Metroid title
  • Warioware
  • Pokémon Gen 4 remakes
  • Style Boutique remake

Ah, thanks.
That sounds like titles that, for the most part, already seemed likely, so I'm pretty weary.
But I'd enjoy it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Did everyone see the Nintendo Direct today?

If not here you go:

Showcases the park somewhat including Toad's Café which I got to admit made me very excited to see the 'window' with all the Toads preparing your meals. Some of the food looks really adorable too.

Opens four days before my birthday. I so wish I could go. Curse you COVID!

Edit:

AAedA0AABQw3.jpg

The power up bands featured here act like amiibo and are compatible with games featuring the characters.

Toad kinda gets screwed on the deal for Smash though...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Amongst them there was:
  • Captain Toad sequel
  • New Donkey Kong game
  • A 2D Metroid title
  • Warioware
  • Pokémon Gen 4 remakes
  • Style Boutique remake

Captain Toad sequel
Wario Land Shake It port
Pokemon Gen 4 remakes
Pokemon Let's Go sequel

Yes! Please! I really hope Jessie, James, and Meowth come back in the Pokemon Let's Go sequel! And if it takes place in Johto, then maybe Wobbuffet being part of Team Rocket can be canon in video games. And make Meowth talk and battle, dammit!

Hope the Captain Toad sequel is bigger and better than the first game! Maybe with the other Toads as playable... imagine a puzzle that requires you to use more than two Toads to solve.

The power up bands featured here act like amiibo and are compatible with games featuring the characters.

Toad kinda gets screwed on the deal for Smash though...
What if this is a hint that Toad finally got in Smash?! :awesome:

Captain Toad was one of the characters supposedly suggested by Nintendo for Smash Ultimate DLC. There was an allegedly-leaked list on 4chan that included Sephiroth :ultsephiroth:, Joker :ultjoker:, Erdrick :ulthero3:, Luminary :ulthero:, Banjo-Kazooie :ultbanjokazooie:, Steve :ultsteve:, and Terry Bogard :ult_terry: among many others.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Captain Toad sequel
Wario Land Shake It port
Pokemon Gen 4 remakes
Pokemon Let's Go sequel

Yes! Please! I really hope Jessie, James, and Meowth come back in the Pokemon Let's Go sequel! And if it takes place in Johto, then maybe Wobbuffet being part of Team Rocket can be canon in video games. And make Meowth talk and battle, dammit!

Hope the Captain Toad sequel is bigger and better than the first game! Maybe with the other Toads as playable... imagine a puzzle that requires you to use more than two Toads to solve.
imagine puzzles as yellow toad where you have to fall asleep

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Trying to cultivate some positive Karma here. One thing I'm beginning to wonder about the Mario and Sonic franchises, is that there have been plentiful Mario and Sonic sports and racing games. There's even official Mario and Sonic crossover games. But why can't we have a conventional Mario and Sonic crossover fighting game along the lines of Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive?

That's actually something I've considered assembling myself.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Trying to cultivate some positive Karma here. One thing I'm beginning to wonder about the Mario and Sonic franchises, is that there have been plentiful Mario and Sonic sports and racing games. There's even official Mario and Sonic crossover games. But why can't we have a conventional Mario and Sonic crossover fighting game along the lines of Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive?

That's actually something I've considered assembling myself.
that's something i've wanted for a long time, or maybe it could even just be nintendo vs sega!

Dan

Smash Lord
Here he is: the most likely Ultimate newcomer that never made it in.

So the biggest question is how does he jump? What is in his backpack that is so heavy? Maybe he can unload it to use as projectiles, and then the more you unload the more you can jump.

Listen, they made an immobile joke character playable so they can literally do anything; there is literally a way around everything.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

So the biggest question is how does he jump? What is in his backpack that is so heavy? Maybe he can unload it to use as projectiles, and then the more you unload the more you can jump.

Listen, they made an immobile joke character playable so they can literally do anything; there is literally a way around everything.
I personally would prefer regular toad, but one idea I had was that, for his throws, instead of throwing the opponent he uses them to launch him upward

Dan

Smash Lord
Also, if they did use Captain Toad, he could just be a unique and fresh new idea where the character can't always jump. Dixie Kong is deservedly a top name for a missing Nintendo all-star, but where the hell is Toad???

Like maybe although he can't initially jump he could always have a recovery that could be a bird or something. I never really played a ton of Captain Toad; I wish I did so I could develop more move ideas.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Why does Captain Toad have to have a gimmick just so he can jump? Why can’t he just jump like everyone else?

Like you said, they made an immobile joke character playable... and that character doesn’t need a gimmick just to be able to move.

Dan

Smash Lord
Why does Captain Toad have to have a gimmick just so he can jump? Why can’t he just jump like everyone else?

Like you said, they made an immobile joke character playable... and that character doesn’t need a gimmick just to be able to move.
I think Plant worked because it was just such a joke that anything goes, and they'd have to be more serious about a character that has their own game.

Now that I think about it, is there actually proof he's incapable of jumping, or does everyone just assume he can't cause he never does in the game? It's explained that the weight of the backpack doesn't allow him to jump, right?

Look at this Toad mascot from Super Nintendo World (source here)
Okay, this is cool... his bottom is just too big. This is honestly unexpected; I thought it would just be Mario & Luigi for now. I wonder who else they'll bring. You'd have to assume Peach, Bowser and Yoshi at least, but I'd love to see Wario and Waluigi.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think Plant worked because it was just such a joke that anything goes, and they'd have to be more serious about a character that has their own game.

Now that I think about it, is there actually proof he's incapable of jumping, or does everyone just assume he can't cause he never does in the game? It's explained that the weight of the backpack doesn't allow him to jump, right?
yes. in super mario 3d world when you press the jump button its shown he cant jump from the weight of his back pack. but in this thread we consider that an non problem as so many characters arent 100% exact

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Merry Christmas to the Brigade! Unfortunately I haven't had any time to make new Christmas art this year!

So I just started playing Treasure Tracker for the first time a couple of days ago and I'm already half way through the game. I just beated the magma dragon boss yesterday so I'm assuming from the amount of pages left I'm half way through.
Without spoiling anything, I think you'll be surprised.

Captain Toad is short(he's only got little legs) but it's not as short as you'd think.

Look at this Toad mascot from Super Nintendo World (source here)
Awww! He's a little chonky, but I really like that Toad is getting some mascot love too. Have to assume he's that wide to allow the person inside to walk since Toad's lack of legs would pose a movement issue IRL, especially with such a top heavy head!

Well that's actually a little interesting because he could apparently jump according to Galaxy 2, quite athletically apparently:

images (4).jpeg

And the Wii U version of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker has a cutscene where he temporarily does a jump to get into a clear pipe post credits.

Unfortunately both of these have been airbrushed from history since the Switch version doesn't have that cutscene in it and Galaxy 2 isn't available on Switch as part of 3D All Stars :p

He does leap out his kart in Mario Kart Tour but he's following Toad's basic model for that.

More Toad talk later no doubt! Merry Christmas for now!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Theres definitly a reason for Captain Toad/Toad to be in Smash
but i think Pirahna Plant needs to go first

I think adding Regular Toad makes more Sense than Regular Waddle Dee (because Regular Toads are often Playable and Basicly the 4th member of the Playable Mario Quartet)

but but

Bandana Waddle Dee makes is more deserving than Toad in General (because Kirby has 3 Necesary Reps while Mario has 5 Neccesary ones (mario, luigi, Bowser, Peach, Bowser Jr.) and 4 optinal ones (Rosalina, Daisy and Dr. Mario)
but still he should be next EVEN before Geno

and

Because Bandana Waddle Dee is arguably (because Lore and Cameos of Dark Matter) the 4th Most deserving Kirby Rep but atlest the 5th most deserving one

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I think adding Regular Toad makes more Sense than Regular Waddle Dee (because Regular Toads are often Playable and Basicly the 4th member of the Playable Mario Quartet)

but but

Bandana Waddle Dee makes is more deserving than Toad in General (because Kirby has 3 Necesary Reps while Mario has 5 Neccesary ones (mario, luigi, Bowser, Peach, Bowser Jr.) and 4 optinal ones (Rosalina, Daisy and Dr. Mario)

and

Because Bandana Waddle Dee is arguably (because Lore and Cameos of Dark Matter) the 4th Most deserving Kirby Rep but atlest the 5th most deserving one
well you see theres a toad as well as the toad race

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
What? How do we know that?
Supposed leak of Nintendo's suggestions to Sakurai for DLC, released May 2019(so after Joker was released).
I bolded the newcomers who got in:
  • Joker (starting since he's already in)
  • Amaterasu
  • Arthur
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Banjo
  • Bill Rizer
  • Byleth
  • Captain Toad
  • Chun-Li
  • Crash
  • Crono
  • Doom Slayer
  • Erdrick (Dragon Quest's Hero)
  • Ezio
  • Flynn (Shin Megami Tensei 4)
  • Heihachi
  • Jibanyan
  • Lana
  • Lara Croft
  • Leon S. Kennedy
  • Linkle
  • Lloyd
  • Lora (Torna)
  • Luminary (Dragon Quest's Hero)
  • Monster Hunter
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Porky
  • Professor Layton
  • Rayman
  • Rex
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Sephiroth
  • Shantae
  • Sora
  • Spyro
  • Steve
  • Terra (Final Fantasy 6)
  • Terry Bogard
  • Yu
  • Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)
I'd suggest taking it with a pinch of salt since it misses any mention of an ARMS character let alone Min Min.

It has picked up some steam as Terry and Sephiroth, two characters which were not commonly thought of have made it in as DLC.

Captain Toad is on the list but even if this was somehow real, the only guarantee was he was considered.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah i understand probably Toads biggest Problem is that hes a Mario Character but like BWD and Impa and some others he really should have been in Smash 4
Toad was robbed in Smash 4!

Toad was finally getting major roles in Mario main games from 2009 to 2013 (the years after Brawl but before Smash 4).

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World

Only for Rosalina & Luma and Bowser Jr. & Koopalings to get in over Toad.

And now in Ultimate, Daisy (which I can forgive since she is only an Echo Fighter) and even Piranha Plant got in over Toad. Toad finally got his own game and yet he still didn’t get in Smash.

And the Smash community is fixated on Waluigi and Geno... sometimes Paper Mario too... and not giving Toad or Captain Toad a second thought. It seems hopeless now... and I hope that list is real and that Nintendo told Sakurai to finally put Toad in Smash. But something tells me not to hold my breath for that.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord

Toad was finally getting major roles in Mario main games from 2009 to 2013 (the years after Brawl but before Smash 4).

New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World

Only for Rosalina & Luma and Bowser Jr. & Koopalings to get in over Toad.

And now in Ultimate, Daisy (which I can forgive since she is only an Echo Fighter) and even Piranha Plant got in over Toad. Toad finally got his own game and yet he still didn’t get in Smash.

And the Smash community is fixated on Waluigi and Geno... sometimes Paper Mario too... and not giving Toad or Captain Toad a second thought. It seems hopeless now... and I hope that list is real and that Nintendo told Sakurai to finally put Toad in Smash. But something tells me not to hold my breath for that.
Toad would be a great left-field pick that everyone would agree with (kinda like Sephiroth).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

but but

and

All these is why I think Toad and Captain Toad both should get in Smash. One of them is the default costume and the other is the alternate costume. Bandana Waddle Dee is fine as is... no need for regular Waddle Dee.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

New Super Mario Bros. U
New Super Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World
Toads have always been major allies in the Mario franchise for a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom