• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So today is Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary. As fogbadge suggested, I tried to make some art. Originally it was only going to be of Toad but...err...

View attachment 285492

....I got carried away. Nearly did Koopa Troopa too, but whew lad, we'll never get it done in time if I kept adding every minion from Super Mario Bros.
i give you top marks

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I assume most people in this thread already have Super Mario 3D All-Stars. What do you think of it?

Personally, I love it! I already got 120 Power Stars in Super Mario 64 and currently have 95 Shine Sprites in Super Mario Sunshine (just need to beat that water lily pad level and find all blue coins). I haven't started Super Mario Galaxy yet.

What do you think Nintendo will do for the 40th or 45th anniversary? I got some ideas.

A "New Super Mario All-Stars" compilation?
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  • New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • New Super Luigi U
A new "Super Mario All-Stars" compilation with many more games?

Games in yellow are the bare minimum of what I would expect from Nintendo... basically "Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World".
  • Mario Bros. (with four players like in Super Mario Advance; choose between Mario, Luigi, Wario-colored Mario, Waluigi-colored Luigi, Toad, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, Toadette, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina-colored Peach, Pauline-colored Daisy; they all have the same abilities)
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • VS. Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
  • Super Mario Bros. Special (with normal screen scrolling; I really like the level design... it's so different and refreshing from what I am used to in both original and Lost Levels... and I like that it has enemies from Mario Bros. and Donkey Kong)
  • All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (with non-Mario Nintendo characters instead of Japanese celebrities... maybe rename it Nintendo All-Stars Super Mario Bros.)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Super Mario Land
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
  • Donkey Kong (Game Boy)
  • Super Luigi Bros.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I assume most people in this thread already have Super Mario 3D All-Stars. What do you think of it?

Personally, I love it! I already got 120 Power Stars in Super Mario 64 and currently have 95 Shine Sprites in Super Mario Sunshine (just need to beat that water lily pad level and find all blue coins). I haven't started Super Mario Galaxy yet.
Surprisingly I haven't actually played 2/3 of the titles before.

Super Mario Sunshine was my first 3D Mario experience as a kid and it kicked my ass hard.

I beat it but I had such a miserable time between hit detection issues, camera issues and mission layout (putting a no FLUDD mission before 'stomp on five turtles to revive the sunflowers' on Pina Park comes to mind) I figured maybe I just didn't enjoy 3D Mario and skipped Galaxy entirely, only giving 3D Mario another shot when 3D World brought multiplayer and many references to SmB2, which was my favourite 2D Mario game back.

Played 3D World, 3D Land and Odyssey and realised no...I just hated Sunshine. So when 3D All Stars was announced it was an immediate pre-order to rectify this.

So I started Mario 64 and...okay it's clunky by today's standards regarding camera, Mario's turning circle and some mission design but you know what? I can't put it down! 71 stars in at current and having a good time!

Sunshine? Well I gave it another go to see if it was just me being a newbie to gaming at the time.
I have 21 shines thus far and struggled far less but this still isn't a very fun Mario title IMO.

The game spends it's entire time teaching you to focus on the use of FLUDD then bam, takes FLUDD away and expects you to be an expert at using Sunshine's FLUDDless Mario with precise timing and jumps that the rest of the game actively encourages you to ignore via the hover nozzle.
It's actively bad design IMO. Harder levels are supposed to challenge you via what you've learnt through the earlier levels, not punish you for paying attention to what it's taught you, and Sunshine loves to do this.

Galaxy I've not started yet but as many list this as their favourite I'm hoping this one surprises me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have my issues with Super Mario Sunshine.
  • The levels where you don’t have F.L.U.D.D.
  • The same levels but you have to get red coins in a time limit (at least you have F.L.U.D.D.)
  • The Yoshi episode in Ricco Harbor (not difficult but annoying)
  • The pachinko level
  • Boat hopping with Yoshi to get to the water lily pad level (not difficult but annoying)
  • The water lily pad level itself
  • Blue coins (not difficult but annoying)
  • Corona Mountain boat ride (thankfully the final boss was easy to make up for this)
The only thing I liked about it is how gorgeous the worlds are... and I like how each world felt like a location you could visit, with people living their daily lives there, instead of being one big level (like the Super Mario 64 worlds) or an obstacle course (like the Super Mario Galaxy worlds). It is really fun to explore those worlds and play around with the Rocket and Turbo nozzles... but this game is tough as nails when it comes to getting all 120 Shine Sprites. Such is the life of a completionist. :awesome:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I have my issues with Super Mario Sunshine.
  • The levels where you don’t have F.L.U.D.D.
  • The same levels but you have to get red coins in a time limit (at least you have F.L.U.D.D.)
  • The Yoshi episode in Ricco Harbor (not difficult but annoying)
  • The pachinko level
  • Boat hopping with Yoshi to get to the water lily pad level (not difficult but annoying)
  • The water lily pad level itself
  • Blue coins (not difficult but annoying)
  • Corona Mountain boat ride (thankfully the final boss was easy to make up for this)
The only thing I liked about it is how gorgeous the worlds are... and I like how each world felt like a location you could visit, with people living their daily lives there, instead of being one big level (like the Super Mario 64 worlds) or an obstacle course (like the Super Mario Galaxy worlds). It is really fun to explore those worlds and play around with the Rocket and Turbo nozzles... but this game is tough as nails when it comes to getting all 120 Shine Sprites. Such is the life of a completionist. :awesome:
galaxy was the only the one i ever got 120 stars on, 64 and sunshine came out during that age when i would always restart things

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
The characters are all slated to release before the end of 2021, there's zero chance we'll go until 2022 without a reveal.
Well the reason why I predicted that we won't get any more reveals or releases until 2021 or 2022 is because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well the reason why I predicted that we won't get any more reveals or releases until 2021 or 2022 is because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
If they were planning to delay the Pass by a year and a half they would've announced it.

Also if things got so bad that videogames couldn't be made for a year and a half, that would be the collapse of the industry. I don't think you're thinking realistically about the ramifications of the pandemic. Games are still being made, they're one of the easiest entertainment products to make while maintaining social distancing.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
thats not the same thing as being obscure just ask captain falcon
I'd argue Falcon is obscure though. He's hardly a household name, and his series is dead.
Smash is the only reason anyone remembers his existence.

Most non Smash speculators are unlikely to be able to name a second F-Zero character outside maybe Samurai Goroh, and that's again due to his status in Smash and Smash based memes.

I got you homie

View attachment 287195

Thinking about it... this really is one of the few 3D Toadsworth renders, isn't it?
Nice. Yeah, there's not a lot of 3D Toadsworth.
He got pretty much replaced by Captain Toad in the 3D titles as 'the Toad leader'. Hoping we get him in Mario Kart Tour if only for the possibility of another render.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd argue Falcon is obscure though. He's hardly a household name, and his series is dead.
Smash is the only reason anyone remembers his existence.

Most non Smash speculators are unlikely to be able to name a second F-Zero character outside maybe Samurai Goroh, and that's again due to his status in Smash and Smash based memes.
that may be but falcon is still a main stay of what has become the best selling fighting game its hard to think of him as obscure even if at this point hes better known for being in smash. likewise for a good number of years toadsworth was a large part of the biggest gaming series its hard to think of him as obscure. although most people may have forgotten about him but i would say thats not the same as being obscure

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
that may be but falcon is still a main stay of what has become the best selling fighting game its hard to think of him as obscure even if at this point hes better known for being in smash. likewise for a good number of years toadsworth was a large part of the biggest gaming series its hard to think of him as obscure. although most people may have forgotten about him but i would say thats not the same as being obscure
Perhaps 'forgotten' is a better term then.

Late to the party, but I support this character-I can't stand seeing him part of Peach's moveset any longer when she's fully capable of countering an attack herself.
Welcome! Strong agree with this. Peach is very capable as we've seen in Super Princess Peach, SMRPG, SMB2 and 3D World. She doesn't need Toad to protect her, and Toad certainly has shown he's capable of defending himself. Independence for both!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

What do you think Nintendo will do for the 40th or 45th anniversary? I got some ideas.
So I got 3D All-Stars and I kinda regret buying it. Not only do I only like 2/3 games on the compilation (64 and Galaxy) but I have only felt compelled to replay Galaxy because I replayed 64 soo many times that Im in no rush to replay it. Sunshine Im sorry is just an extremely mediocre and frustrating game that I have no desire to ever revisit.

But besides just that the game feels like a very souless cash grab. Doesn't even compare to the original All-Stars. Besides just the games getting the very basics of improvements when tbh both 64 and Sunshine could use full remakes. Nintendo gave very little bonus/extra content most other modern retro compilations give out. Yeah the OSTs are nice but their is no Behind the scenes videos, concept art, special themed borders for SM64, developer interviews nothing...Even the main menu feels very slap dashed and un-Nintendo like. This compilation feels like it was put together in a month by a group of interns. Super Mario (the biggest gaming franchise of all time) truly deserves better... Also the lack of Galaxy 2 is baffeling and would have made the compilation a bit more worth it for me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still don’t understand why Super Mario Galaxy 2 wasn’t included in Super Mario 3D All-Stars. I liked it more than Super Mario Galaxy.

Also, playing Super Mario Galaxy with the Switch Pro controller takes some getting used to... I don’t really like moving the controller around to move the pointer to select the save file and to pick up Star Bits.

I really liked the original Super Mario All-Stars. It was a great way to update the classics. If they re-released that and added some extra features from Super Mario Bros. Deluxe (Challenge Mode, You vs. Boo) for all the games plus the e-Reader levels from Super Mario Advance 4 (SMB3), that would be fantastic!

I mean, the Game Boy Color remake was awesome... and it had a lot of replay value because of the Challenge Mode where you had to collect five red coins, find the hidden Yoshi Egg, and get a high score to get medals for each level in the original Super Mario Bros. Imagine that Challenge Mode for all levels in Lost Levels, SMB2, SMB3, and SMW.

Oh, and racing against Boo was fun too! Imagine Boo race courses based on SMB2, SMB3, and SMW.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
So I got 3D All-Stars and I kinda regret buying it. Not only do I only like 2/3 games on the compilation (64 and Galaxy) but I have only felt compelled to replay Galaxy because I replayed 64 soo many times that Im in no rush to replay it. Sunshine Im sorry is just an extremely mediocre and frustrating game that I have no desire to ever revisit.

But besides just that the game feels like a very souless cash grab. Doesn't even compare to the original All-Stars. Besides just the games getting the very basics of improvements when tbh both 64 and Sunshine could use full remakes. Nintendo gave very little bonus/extra content most other modern retro compilations give out. Yeah the OSTs are nice but their is no Behind the scenes videos, concept art, special themed borders for SM64, developer interviews nothing...Even the main menu feels very slap dashed and un-Nintendo like. This compilation feels like it was put together in a month by a group of interns. Super Mario (the biggest gaming franchise of all time) truly deserves better... Also the lack of Galaxy 2 is baffeling and would have made the compilation a bit more worth it for me.
Same here, dude. They did the bare minimum & then asked for full price. Mario is my guy, but I'm not uping $60 that I could be spending on something new (tho' it helps that I own all three titles on their respective hardware)

Crash N.Sane, Spyro Reignited, Kirby Dream Collection & especially Rare Replay all did waaay more for just $40 & under.
And you can still buy them to this day. Hell, Rayman Redemption did more, & that game is free (& fan-made)!

Ah well, I hope that anyone else who bought this got their money's worth, atleast.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ah well, I hope that anyone else who bought this got their money's worth, atleast.
I feel I did... even though I wish it included Super Mario Galaxy 2 as well. At least it's $60 for all three games instead of $60 for each game like back in the day. And now I can play them on the go.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As someone who had only played Sunshine of the trio, I can confirm I am happy with my purchase...at current. I'm a little worried Galaxy won't live up to the years of hype everyone bombarded it with now, but I'll tackle that when I beat Mario 64.

Mario 64 feels pretty addictive even for someone without nostalgia goggles at the very least. It's a product of it's time for sure, but I'm enjoying it. Hoping I get a free moment to play through a few more stars in the next week.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
View attachment 287775

So... minecarts, huh?

View attachment 287777

Please don't take this the wrong way I don't actually hate Steve's inclusion
It's a little unfortunate that this was basically the Captain Toad moveset I made. Minecarts, stage manipulation and pickaxes...ah well, at least it was feasible!

Also tbf Steve looks like the most interesting fighter to me from the whole damn FP so far, so that's something!

Last edited:
Top Bottom