• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Freshly caught Cheep Cheep, fried over a fire flower with a side of Piranha Plant Salad and sauted mushrooms.

Drink is a Double Cherry Sparkle Water mix.

For dessert we have the options of Sweet Sweet Canyon Surprise or Choco Mountain Cake.
i think i had that dream last week

Lenidem

Smash Lord
IT'S HAPPENING!

THE MARIO COLLECTION WAS REAL!

Also 3D World + Bowser's Fury! Looks like we get more playable Toad and Captain Toad action and I finally get to play some of the 3D titles I missed.
I wonder why Galaxy 2 is not there.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.

All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.

While I still support Toad, with Toadette as an alternate skin, I've decided to scrap my Toad moveset that I made last year due to poor quality. Anyway, I thought of a new idea. If Toad got in, Tiff and Tuff (Kirby) could be alternate skins too.

And for clarification, YES, Tiff and Tuff are videogame characters because their origins are from the Kirby franchise which is both 1st party and originated as a videogame.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
curiously the 3d world port seems to be more than twice the data size than the wii u versions which i heard is unusual for simply updating graphics

And for clarification, YES, Tiff and Tuff are videogame characters because their origins are from the Kirby franchise which is both 1st party and originated as a videogame.
setting aside the sheer randomness of that idea, you do realise there's a chance that characters original to the anime may be owned by the animation company?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
setting aside the sheer randomness of that idea, you do realise there's a chance that characters original to the anime may be owned by the animation company?
Unfortunately, I don't exactly know if Tiff and Tuff are owned by Nintendo. Regardless if they are owned by Nintendo or not, Tiff and Tuff remain videogame characters for my aforementioned reasons.

Here are quotes from another thread:
What about an original character that was created for a videogame BASED on a licensed product? Here's an example, maybe you don't know them, but Tora and Shogun were two character created for TMNT2: the Arcade game. They hadn't appeared in anything else before that. They were created FOR a videogame. Do they count as Videogame characters? Personally, I'm going to say "no". Likewise any original character that appears in a Batman, DBZ, Terminator, or whatever game. They default to being a (insert original medium of the licease here) character.
Hell, even if a Dragonball Character made their debut in a video game, I'd still say they aren't. Their origin is still directly from Dragonball, which did not start out as a video game.
Then by that logic, Tiff and Tuff are videogame characters because they originated from a franchise that originated as a videogame. Same goes with any Mario/Sonic/Pacman/Megaman etc.. character that was originally created for any non-videogame media, they are still videogame characters because of their origin.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Unfortunately, I don't exactly know if Tiff and Tuff are owned by Nintendo. Regardless if they are owned by Nintendo or not, Tiff and Tuff remain videogame characters for my aforementioned reasons.

Here are quotes from another thread:

Then by that logic, Tiff and Tuff are videogame characters because they originated from a franchise that originated as a videogame. Same goes with any Mario/Sonic/Pacman/Megaman etc.. character that was originally created for any non-videogame media, they are still videogame characters because of their origin.
so two characters who have never appeared in video games are counted as video game characters? i cant be the only one who thinks theres a flaw in that logic

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Boy oh boy I sure do miss Toadsworth.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Edit: K, so the guy who originally made the tweet deleted it. Basically a joke about how Toadsworth is getting removed from the rerelease of Sunshine as a reference to the fact that they for some no longer allow any female, child, or elderly Toads (or Toads with unique designs in general) in the newer Paper Mario games, as well as the fact that Toadsworth hasn't appeared in a non-remake, non-cameo role since 2013.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
so two characters who have never appeared in video games are counted as video game characters? i cant be the only one who thinks theres a flaw in that logic
As stated in my previous post above, "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles characters Tora and Shogun aren't videogame characters despite solely appearing in videogames because they originated from a franchise that didn't originate as a videogame." The polar opposite occurs with Tiff and Tuff, they are still videogame characters despite never making any videogame appearances mainly because of the franchise they originate from.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As stated in my previous post above, "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles characters Tora and Shogun aren't videogame characters despite solely appearing in videogames because they originated from a franchise that didn't originate as a videogame." The polar opposite occurs with Tiff and Tuff, they are still videogame characters despite never making any videogame appearances mainly because of the franchise they originate from.
that reasoning makes no sense. You can’t call characters who never appeared in video games as video game characters. And it’s certainly not the way Sakurai sees things iirc he had a hand in right back at ya and yet the references are limited to the name of meta knights sword. Tiff and tuff, ash Ketchum and everyone who debuted in any video game anime are not eligible.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
that reasoning makes no sense. You can’t call characters who never appeared in video games as video game characters. And it’s certainly not the way Sakurai sees things iirc he had a hand in right back at ya and yet the references are limited to the name of meta knights sword. Tiff and tuff, ash Ketchum and everyone who debuted in any video game anime are not eligible.
There's never been a direct quote stating anything against characters and elements that didn't originate from vgs in vg series themselves, as all the interviews regarding that have been in the context of non video game series. However, from the history in Smash they mainly tend to take from their game sources, but that is not to say outside sources can't be major influencers (though they try to adjust them to make them match a game environment in a way), the Pokemon series in Smash shows the best example of this.
With a ton of the things being influenced or straight up taken from the anime, some slightly modified or more subtly treated (Like how the TR Meowth trophy in Melee is obviously TR Meowth yet gets called an It in an attempt to treat like the species despite being represented by the character).

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
But the statement, "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles characters Tora and Shogun aren't videogame characters despite solely appearing in videogames because they originated from a franchise that didn't originate as a videogame." implies that we can still call certain characters who have only appeared in videogames non-videogame characters. Thus, we can still call characters who have never appeared in videogames videogame characters as long as they still originate from a franchise that originated as a videogame. So, Tiff and Tuff, and Ash Ketchum are still eligible.

There's never been a direct quote stating anything against characters and elements that didn't originate from vgs in vg series themselves, as all the interviews regarding that have been in the context of non video game series. However, from the history in Smash they mainly tend to take from their game sources, but that is not to say outside sources can't be major influencers (though they try to adjust them to make them match a game environment in a way), the Pokemon series in Smash shows the best example of this.
With a ton of the things being influenced or straight up taken from the anime, some slightly modified or more subtly treated (Like how the TR Meowth trophy in Melee is obviously TR Meowth yet gets called an It in an attempt to treat like the species despite being represented by the character).
So in conclusion, regardless of what media a character appears in, if their origin is from a franchise that originated as a videogame, they are still a videogame character.

Not upset, but unfortunately, I don't think Tiff and Tuff would be fun to play as for now. I would just want them as spirits at most.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Admittedly I've just started musing a scenario, I don't expect it to happen. But we might be at the point where Toadette has some light for everyone who has wanted a playable Toad of any kind. We already know Toadette has been appearing in most new Mario games, hell even being the fourth wheel in an at max 4 player Super Mario Maker 2 and outright replacing one of the Toads in the NSMBU port (You can change between Yellow and Blue, but I believe you still can't have Yellow and Blue on the same screen) and not to mention an exclusive form for her in Peachette. I probably wouldn't be surprised that if there's any new characters in the 3D World port, Toadette might be the first new character announced or even the only additional character.

Imagine a scenario where history repeats where a new character that was added to Super Mario 3D World ends up also being in Smash. That was Rosalina back in Smash 4. Again, I don't think it will happen as Toadette seems like an odd choice to make people pay for and a point against this is that Rosalina was in the base game, and even if there is a Mario character in the pass, you'd think it'd be Geno or Waluigi. I've always initally thought Toadette would have to be an alt if Toad ever got in, but at this point the way Nintendo has promoted Toadette the past 2 or so years... It's looking more likely Toadette could actually be the default Toad if the stars align somehow for a playable Toad in Fighter Pass 2.

I don't even expect a Mario character being in this pass at all, but if there is. And it's not a choice that most people here would expect, Toadette could be this thread's dark horse waiting in the wings.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yes but theres a difference between video game characters making references to anime theyve appeared in and characters who are anime only

But the statement, "The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles characters Tora and Shogun aren't videogame characters despite solely appearing in videogames because they originated from a franchise that didn't originate as a videogame." implies that we can still call certain characters who have only appeared in videogames non-videogame characters. Thus, we can still call characters who have never appeared in videogames videogame characters as long as they still originate from a franchise that originated as a videogame. So, Tiff and Tuff, and Ash Ketchum are still eligible.

So in conclusion, regardless of what media a character appears in, if their origin is from a franchise that originated as a videogame, they are still a videogame character.

Not upset, but unfortunately, I don't think Tiff and Tuff would be fun to play as for now. I would just want them as spirits at most.
but thats just someone else opinion youve agreed with its not an iron clad rule we all must adhere too. by this logic pit's a character from greek myth because kid icarus is based in part on it and should not be allowed in smash. and more to the point its not up to us the fans who eligible, its up to sakurai.

Admittedly I've just started musing a scenario, I don't expect it to happen. But we might be at the point where Toadette has some light for everyone who has wanted a playable Toad of any kind. We already know Toadette has been appearing in most new Mario games, hell even being the fourth wheel in an at max 4 player Super Mario Maker 2 and outright replacing one of the Toads in the NSMBU port (You can change between Yellow and Blue, but I believe you still can't have Yellow and Blue on the same screen) and not to mention an exclusive form for her in Peachette. I probably wouldn't be surprised that if there's any new characters in the 3D World port, Toadette might be the first new character announced or even the only additional character.

Imagine a scenario where history repeats where a new character that was added to Super Mario 3D World ends up also being in Smash. That was Rosalina back in Smash 4. Again, I don't think it will happen as Toadette seems like an odd choice to make people pay for and a point against this is that Rosalina was in the base game, and even if there is a Mario character in the pass, you'd think it'd be Geno or Waluigi. I've always initally thought Toadette would have to be an alt if Toad ever got in, but at this point the way Nintendo has promoted Toadette the past 2 or so years... It's looking more likely Toadette could actually be the default Toad if the stars align somehow for a playable Toad in Fighter Pass 2.

I don't even expect a Mario character being in this pass at all, but if there is. And it's not a choice that most people here would expect, Toadette could be this thread's dark horse waiting in the wings.
toadette is my joint most wanted along with toad/cap

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Yeah I've been giving some thought to Toadette. I can weirdly see it happening. I think it'd be really cool if we got a Toad character for Mario's 35th who was kinf of a hybird of all of them. Alts for Toad, Captain Toad, Toadette, maybe even Toadsworth. Anyone but Toadsworth could work well as the default. I could even see them poking fun at the overabundance of Toads and saying "what better way to celebrate Mario than a bunch of Toads."

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I'll be honest, I'm not sure how to feel about Toadette.

I like her a lot as a character in the Mario series(and am glad she's now one of the main platforming stars) but in terms of Smash it's a trickier issue.

Could Toadette be the default skin and Toad the 'Alph' of the duo? Maybe. Bit odd, like adding Luigi before Mario, but it could happen since she's been elevated to her various Toad partners level in the Mario series.

But presumably if you're going to push Toadette over Toad(or Captain Toad) you're doing it in order to use her unique Peachette form...and that's something Toad(and Captain Toad) can't do, which would probably rule them out as being alt skins immedietly, thus stopping him from getting in should she do so.

I like Toadette, but at the expense of Toad, that's a no go from me chief.

If Toadette is the default skin and Peachette is ignored entirely allowing Toad in as the 'Alph'? That's something I can get behind, but in doing so it robs Toadette of her one unique ability...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'll be honest, I'm not sure how to feel about Toadette.

I like her a lot as a character in the Mario series(and am glad she's now one of the main platforming stars) but in terms of Smash it's a trickier issue.

Could Toadette be the default skin and Toad the 'Alph' of the duo? Maybe. Bit odd, like adding Luigi before Mario, but it could happen since she's been elevated to her various Toad partners level in the Mario series.

But presumably if you're going to push Toadette over Toad(or Captain Toad) you're doing it in order to use her unique Peachette form...and that's something Toad(and Captain Toad) can't do, which would probably rule them out as being alt skins immedietly, thus stopping him from getting in should she do so.

I like Toadette, but at the expense of Toad, that's a no go from me chief.

If Toadette is the default skin and Peachette is ignored entirely allowing Toad in as the 'Alph'? That's something I can get behind, but in doing so it robs Toadette of her one unique ability...
personally i cant see them using peachette

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think If Peachette were to be in the moveset at all, it'd be the Final Smash. Though yeah a bit odd if the male Toad becomes Peachette too. So if both Toads are alts I imagine they'd have to have some super attack that makes sense for all kinds of toads.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I think If Peachette were to be in the moveset at all, it'd be the Final Smash. Though yeah a bit odd if the male Toad becomes Peachette too. So if both Toads are alts I imagine they'd have to have some super attack that makes sense for all kinds of toads.
Well, all the Koopalings become Anti-Mario, so I guess that could be done.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well, all the Koopalings become Anti-Mario, so I guess that could be done.
I knew there was an example of a Final Smash where the final smash only really fits the default character but kind of slipped my mind (A bonus being that they're also a Mario character). So yeah if they truly go with Toadette as the default, they could still potentially go with a Peachette Final Smash even if there's a male toad alt in that case.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
shadow mario and alph uses and spaceship hes never even been on
Sorry, that's his French name.
I knew there was an example of a Final Smash where the final smash only really fits the default character but kind of slipped my mind (A bonus being that they're also a Mario character). So yeah if they truly go with Toadette as the default, they could still potentially go with a Peachette Final Smash even if there's a male toad alt in that case.
Even so, Toadette as the default would be weird.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So today is Super Mario Bros. 35th anniversary. As fogbadge suggested, I tried to make some art. Originally it was only going to be of Toad but...err...

Super-Mario-35th-resized.png

....I got carried away. Nearly did Koopa Troopa too, but whew lad, we'll never get it done in time if I kept adding every minion from Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:
Top Bottom