• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Damn I hate Mario Kart Tour with a passion. They keep adding all the cool characters/karts to this game while 8 Deluxe slowly dies in a corner and with no MK9 in sight. This game has Pauline, The real King Boo, Diddy, Dixie, Funky, Birdo, and now Captain Toad!? Come on! If they add Prof. E.Gadd or King K.Rool. Im gonna lose it as then all my dream roster characters will finally be in but in the ****ty mobile game.

Anyway the mine cart karts are adorable and they work on two levels. As not only do they work great for Captain Toad/Explorer Toadette. I would love to be able to use the Kong family in those as well. Ugh...lol
yeah its a terrible game with some awesome stuff its the same king boo just with a different look

Laniv

Smash Lord
Captain Toad & Toadette are added to Mario Kart Tour. Oh, and Choco Mountain too apparently:

I’ve also totally stopped receiving notifications from this thread, need to fix that asap.

"Captain Toad & Toadette are added..."

(SHRILL GASP OF DISBELIEF)

"...to Mario Kart Tour."

...Oh.

Can we get them in a real Mario Kart game

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Had to change my avatar. I hate Tour's wonky gacha mechanics so much but god damn if he isn't super precious here.

You know what? There's a damn good topic that's on point at the moment:
Give me your Mario Kart 9 dream rosters.

Mario Kart 45 Roster.png

45 for me. Something like this. Tried to keep each row vaguely themed:
Humans
Non Human Allies
Bowser's army
Donkey Kong and Mario Spinoff enemies
Bowser's family

Cut: Babies, metals, characters in different outfits(hence why Archivist Toadette didn't make it) and guest characters from non Mario-verse series.

Wanted to add Wingo but I honestly can't picture him shrunk down into the size of a kart without it looking very silly. As is I think King Bob-omb, King Boo and Petey are pushing it.

Would have liked to have added Gooigi too but it ruined the count!

Your turns!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I have no one else to add tbh that roster you listed above is perfection. Though I would keep Baby Mario since he is the most significant baby of the bunch due to Yoshi's Island but the rest of the babies can go.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have no one else to add tbh that roster you listed above is perfection. Though I would keep Baby Mario since he is the most significant baby of the bunch due to Yoshi's Island but the rest of the babies can go.
I do mostly agree, though at least Baby Luigi and Baby Peach played a significant role in Partners in Time. Also, we could really have DK Jr. back either way.

On another note, did they actually call her Explorer Toadette and not Captain Toadette? I wonder if they're trying to separate her more from the Captain thing, as to not make her sound similar to the design idea. Captain Toad was created as a unique character from Toad, but we've seen Toadette is nothing like that, nor any statements that suggest she isn't just helping another member of the Toad species. I feel like she got the name change so people might think of her closer to a Dr. Mario situation than being a new character at this point(a lot of swaps/etc. are breaking out as unique depending the game. Dry Bowser is referred to as a cousin of Bowser in a game instead of being his skeletal form, for instance. Metal Mario since Smash 64 itself was his own person overall, and then Mario Kart 7 really emphasized he's a lot more than just a power-up).

...Mario series gets confusing. XD

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I do mostly agree, though at least Baby Luigi and Baby Peach played a significant role in Partners in Time. Also, we could really have DK Jr. back either way.

On another note, did they actually call her Explorer Toadette and not Captain Toadette? I wonder if they're trying to separate her more from the Captain thing, as to not make her sound similar to the design idea. Captain Toad was created as a unique character from Toad, but we've seen Toadette is nothing like that, nor any statements that suggest she isn't just helping another member of the Toad species. I feel like she got the name change so people might think of her closer to a Dr. Mario situation than being a new character at this point(a lot of swaps/etc. are breaking out as unique depending the game. Dry Bowser is referred to as a cousin of Bowser in a game instead of being his skeletal form, for instance. Metal Mario since Smash 64 itself was his own person overall, and then Mario Kart 7 really emphasized he's a lot more than just a power-up).

...Mario series gets confusing. XD
Toadette is an interesting one. We have her referred as 'Toadette (explorer)' in Tour and 'Archivist Toadette' in Mario Odyssey. I'm not sure if she had a title in Treasure Tracker but as she's the newest member of the Toad brigade at that point she could be 'Cadet Toadette'. In Smash this Treasure Tracker form is the only Toadette spirit and is simply referred to as 'Toadette'.

Adding further into the Toadette confusion is she's a partner to both Toad and Captain Toad(who are different characters canonically) whilst she is simultaneously the same character it seems!

As for the babies... I'd be happy to readd the Yoshi's Island DS babies but Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina...not in any games outside Mario Kart so hard pass for me there personally.

Baby DK and Baby Wario? A-ok though!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toadette is an interesting one. We have her referred as 'Toadette (explorer)' in Tour and 'Archivist Toadette' in Mario Odyssey. I'm not sure if she had a title in Treasure Tracker but as she's the newest member of the Toad brigade at that point she could be 'Cadet Toadette'. In Smash this Treasure Tracker form is the only Toadette spirit and is simply referred to as 'Toadette'.

Adding further into the Toadette confusion is she's a partner to both Toad and Captain Toad(who are different characters canonically) whilst she is simultaneously the same character it seems!

As for the babies... I'd be happy to readd the Yoshi's Island DS babies but Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina...not in any games outside Mario Kart so hard pass for me there personally.

Ah, so it's more like class names than a separate character. That makes sense. So a Dr. Mario case then~

Admittedly the fact Baby Wario hasn't been in Mario Kart is baffling by now. Also, Baby Daisy bothers me less than Baby Rosalina, who has the wrong hair color. Which makes it more confusing, since she had an actual hair color in the in-universe story at that point, so there's no reason for the different color. Now if she wasn't noted as having an actual baby form in Galaxy 2, it wouldn't really matter. People change hair colors for many reasons.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Had to change my avatar. I hate Tour's wonky gacha mechanics so much but god damn if he isn't super precious here.

View attachment 278547

Humans
Non Human Allies
Bowser's army
Bowser's family

Cut: Babies, metals, characters in different outfits(hence why Archivist Toadette didn't make it) and guest characters from non Mario-verse series.

Wanted to add Wingo but I honestly can't picture him shrunk down into the size of a kart without it looking very silly. As is I think King Bob-omb, King Boo and Petey are pushing it.

Your turns!
Pretty much what Mariomaniac said.
This is what should be the foundation for all MK rosters going forward.

I give you bonus points for throwing Nabbit in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ah, so it's more like class names than a separate character. That makes sense. So a Dr. Mario case then~
miyamoto once said that the dr mario games were non canon so doc is technically a separate incarnation like paper

View attachment 278547

Humans
Non Human Allies
Bowser's army
Bowser's family

Your turns!
thats is a tough one hmm

mario
luigi
peach
bowser
toad
yoshi
toadette
wario
dk
diddy
jr
cap
toadsworth
king boo
e.gadd
poterpup
shy guy
wriggler
cheep cheep
petey pirhana
gooper blooper
king bob omb
rosalina
k.rool
nabbit
luma
cranky
fawful
shroob
koopa troopa
babies, mario, luigi and peach
birdo
honey queen
paper mario
mona
young cricket
orbelon
pokey (why not?)

and i love the guest characters so
link
zelda
villager
isabelle
inkling
octoling
kirby
dedede
olimar

may add more

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Thinking about all this character confusion reminds me when Mario Sunshine first released and people thought Toadsworth was the original Toad from SMB2, in the same way Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong.

The Mario-verse is kind of a mess with character identity it seems.

For Mario you got Mario, Paper Mario(confirmed a seperate character), Metal Mario, Dr. Mario(I guess) and that's before time travel gets involved and makes Baby Mario confusing.

Yoshi meanwhile is even worse than Toad.
We have Yoshi from Yoshi's Island who saved Baby Mario(but is not the star child Yoshi), Yoshi from Yoshi's Story(who is canonically the star child Yoshi, the one who is Mario's friend and playable in the sports spinoffs) two seperate arts and crafts Yoshi and that's before we include Paper Yoshi. That's like five Yoshi that are considered "The Yoshi".

Comparitively Toad's identity is almost more straight forward.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thinking about all this character confusion reminds me when Mario Sunshine first released and people thought Toadsworth was the original Toad from SMB2, in the same way Cranky Kong is the original Donkey Kong.

The Mario-verse is kind of a mess with character identity it seems.

For Mario you got Mario, Paper Mario(confirmed a seperate character), Metal Mario, Dr. Mario(I guess) and that's before time travel gets involved and makes Baby Mario confusing.

Yoshi meanwhile is even worse than Toad.
We have Yoshi from Yoshi's Island who saved Baby Mario(but is not the star child Yoshi), Yoshi from Yoshi's Story(who is canonically the star child Yoshi, the one who is Mario's friend and playable in the sports spinoffs) two seperate arts and crafts Yoshi and that's before we include Paper Yoshi. That's like five Yoshi that are considered "The Yoshi".

Comparitively Toad's identity is almost more straight forward.
Cranky at least talked about fighting with Mario ages ago, so there's a straight bit to the theory. Especially since DK Jr. appears in Super Mario Kart and is mysteriously gone with the current Donkey Kong(who is nowhere near as big as the original in the Arcade game) being suddenly there, which led to that theory, along with the DKC statement from earlier where it'd make some sense.

Paper Mario is basically its own universe, so that's less confusing. The main Yoshi is thankfully not split up all that much. The partner in Paper Mario is unrelated, and the ones in the first game are just other members of the species. For the most part, the RPG's don't really use the normal version. Sunshine implies they're an offshoot of Yoshis, due to their water weakness, an abnormal trait. Super Mario 64 appears to have the original one due to the 120 stars thing, as there's only one and he talks about being friends. I don't remember them all too well. Miyamoto's best statement is more like "they're actors" within each game, which explains some of the oddities, why Mario and co. can play Golf one day and fight against each other the next(Super Mario Bros. 3, for instance). This is also why they can have many forms depending the game without entirely contradicting others.

I just chalk it up as not intending to have much continuity. A few games go in a special order and that's it. The Paper Mario games are in a row, same with the Mario & Luigi games, and a few others might have their own straight line of games. While others don't have a particular storyline to justify that(Party, Kart, Golf, Tennis, any of the more random games like Mario is Missing, etc.). It feels like Sunshine might be the ending to Super Mario World 1. One idea is that the order might be Super Mario World 2/Yoshi's Island(whatever way you want to say it) > Donkey Kong > Donkey Kong Jr. > Super Mario World > Super Mario Sunshine(Yoshi's Story could happen at any time? I think?).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
miyamoto once said that the dr mario games were non canon so doc is technically a separate incarnation like paper

thats is a tough one hmm

mario
luigi
peach
bowser
toad
yoshi
toadette
wario
dk
diddy
jr
cap
toadsworth
king boo
e.gadd
poterpup
shy guy
wriggler
cheep cheep
petey pirhana
gooper blooper
king bob omb
rosalina
k.rool
nabbit
luma
cranky
fawful
shroob
koopa troopa
babies, mario, luigi and peach
birdo
honey queen
paper mario
mona
young cricket
orbelon
pokey (why not?)

and i love the guest characters so
link
zelda
villager
isabelle
inkling
octoling
kirby
dedede
olimar

may add more
dreambert
undodog
bashmaster
kalamba tiki
dixie
goggblegut
cappy
rob
dry bones
miis
wingo

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I like Cadet Toadette because it rhymes. I'm a sucker for rhymes.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

View attachment 278547

Humans
Non Human Allies
Bowser's army
Bowser's family

Your turns!
I agree with Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 and Ed-boy Ed-boy . Your roster should be THE standard for MK's roster going forward. The only addition I'd make is the Star Children, Lanky Kong, Tiny Kong, Chunky Kong and Kiddy Kong, Mona, Ashley, 9-Volt, Jimmy T. and maybe Kat/Ana and/or Dribble/Spitz.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I agree with Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 and Ed-boy Ed-boy . Your roster should be THE standard for MK's roster going forward. The only addition I'd make is the Star Children, Lanky Kong, Tiny Kong, Chunky Kong and Kiddy Kong, Mona, Ashley, 9-Volt, Jimmy T. and maybe Kat/Ana and/or Dribble/Spitz.
Yeah, I'd add a pair of WarioWare characters to get the series a foot in the door, and the rest can come and go as sequels happen.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Is it good?

I was on the fence about picking it up. I've got to be a little careful with my money atm so I've hesitated on it.

Haven't played a Paper Mario since Super Paper Mario on the Wii but knew they had quite a lot of backlash.
i enjoy it and i believe the general opinion is that its better than the last two

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I hate to ask this of the Toad Brigade but I'm like one 'rubie' short of a ten pull (45 rubies) to attempt to get Captain Toad out of Mario Kart Tour's 'explorer pipe' and I flat out refuse to pay for this game's crappy gatcha mechanics.

Can anyone do me a solid and give me a friend code of theirs so I can get the 'five friends' challenge done?

If I don't pull anything after this, bleh, I'm done. I've never seen a free to play game that is so stingy with it's fake currency.

Friend code is 8989 5730 7642

Edit:
Screenshot_2020-07-20-21-33-08-511_com.nintendo.zaka.jpg

I got him by pure fluke. Didn't manage to get his Mine Kart or the Treasure Map glider, but I'm happy with this lucky pull.

Kinda surreal to manage to get him though. Feel free to add me still.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Without spoiling too much, what's his schtick? Can he join you in combat? (put in spoiler tags if possible)
well hes an archaeologist studying an ancient civilisation in the desert. he joins mario and olivia on their quest as they need to solve some mysteries to proceed. in battle at the end of marios turn he uses his shovel to flick dirt at enemies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Bit of Toad news for the Brigade today:

Mario Kart Tour: Explorer Tour continues!
Toadette (Explorer) is in the pipe this week alongside her own version of the Minecart in Pipe 2, but you can still get Captain Toad in Pipe 1 and also at a lower chance in Pipe 2(Toadette's one).

Landscape mode has FINALLY been added so now you can play Mario Kart on your phone in a more logical way that playing it portrait which...as someone who bothered to bust the game out again specifically to snap up the Captain, I can tell you is a huge relief.

On a side note I've just realised that my avatar is inadvertedly proof that Captain Toad actually CAN jump.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 2?
So I learnt something new this week: Captain Toad's Switch and 3DS ports alongside the DLC special episode and Odyssey levels weren't actually done by the 3D Mario department of Nintendo, but rather the same people who worked on Mario Vs. Donkey Kong.
According to GameFAQS, insider Emily Rogers has speculated that they're currently hard at work on a new title which is rumoured to be a sequel to Treasure Tracker.

Exclusive Lego Toad Set

Seems like San Diego Comic Con has made some sort of special deal with Nintendo and LEGO as it's getting an exclusive Lego set: LEGO SUPER MARIO 77907: Toad's Special Hideaway. No images of the set have been released yet, but if you're in the San Diego area and thinking about going to Comic Con it seems there's a very cheap LEGO Toad set that might be worth snapping up!

And finally something a bit silly:

Paper Mario Origami King continues Toad's unfortunate comparisons...
So...does everyone remember that part of Starbomb's Ballad of Luigi where Peach chooses Toad because his whole body is shaped like a...particular thing? How about when poor old Toad was used in an unflattering comparison to Donald Trump by

Collectable #69(this had to be intentional, right?) in Paper Mario Origami King appears to be following a similar thought process...oh dear.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Paper Mario Origami King continues Toad's unfortunate comparisons...
So...does everyone remember that part of Starbomb's Ballad of Luigi where Peach chooses Toad because his whole body is shaped like a...particular thing? How about when poor old Toad was used in an unflattering comparison to Donald Trump by

Collectable #69(this had to be intentional, right?) in Paper Mario Origami King appears to be following a similar thought process...oh dear.
or dirty minded people read to much into things

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
maybe im reading to much into it but it really feels like theres a lot of love for toads in origami king

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
maybe im reading to much into it but it really feels like theres a lot of love for toads in origami king
Anything in particular?

I assume we all saw the topic about Paper Mario's team not being allowed to showcase things like age and gender in their Toad NPCs.

Which is ridiculous when you think about it since Toadette and Toadsworth are both canonically in mainline Mario titles and even both appeared in Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door.

Toadsworth's been missing for 7 years outside of the (now dead) Mario and Luigi series' remakes and very minor cameos such as being a spirit and a trophy in Smash Bros. and a brief cameo in Mario Party the Top 100.

Hopefully he's brought back in some capacity in a title soon. It's rather odd he's not at least somewhere in Mario Odyssey's Mushroom Kingdom.

Hell, slap him in Mario Kart Tour at the very least.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah I thought Toadsworth should've been in Captain Toad. He could've been the aging archeologist who's gotten too old for the s***** so he recruits Captain Toad and Explorer Toadette as his prodiges. He was the one who could've provided them with maps and their equipment and maybe done the piloting. Eh maybe in an expanded sequel. But yeah I do find it really odd Toadsworth was introduced in Sunshine only to basically fall into obscurity and rarely be used shortly after. Even the Piantas have gotten more reoccurring appearances.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Anything in particular?

I assume we all saw the topic about Paper Mario's team not being allowed to showcase things like age and gender in their Toad NPCs.
well theres a its kinda very spoilery so

the bad guy was made by a toad and his motives involve all toads (maybe not that part) like more than half of the important npcs are toads as well

i miss toadsworth as well

Laniv

Smash Lord
Speaking of Toadsworth, I had a really weird dream regarding him.

In the dream, Nintendo announced a prequel to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, starring Toadsworth in his younger days (weirdly, his design was the same as his current look, but with an Indiana Jones-styled jacket). It was a more "traditional" 3D game, with Toadsworth exploring dungeons in search of long-lost treasure. One scene that stood out to me was a cutscene where Toadsworth took out a locket with a photo of Peach as a child in it. I think people took it as a confirmation that Toadsworth was intended to be Peach's grandfather.

Then they followed that up with announcing Toadsworth for Smash Bros. He was the slowest character in the game, but he had a Scrooge-styled cane bounce attack that he used to stomp on Mario. Then his Final Smash was him spying a Shroob UFO (?) in the distance, and using his cane as a magic wand (?!?) to zap everyone on the screen.

Then his victory pose was him getting a back massage from a Pianta (?!?!?!) and I woke up, thoroughly confused.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

In the dream, Nintendo announced a prequel to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, starring Toadsworth in his younger days (weirdly, his design was the same as his current look, but with an Indiana Jones-styled jacket). It was a more "traditional" 3D game, with Toadsworth exploring dungeons in search of long-lost treasure. One scene that stood out to me was a cutscene where Toadsworth took out a locket with a photo of Peach as a child in it. I think people took it as a confirmation that Toadsworth was intended to be Peach's grandfather.

Then they followed that up with announcing Toadsworth for Smash Bros. He was the slowest character in the game, but he had a Scrooge-styled cane bounce attack that he used to stomp on Mario. Then his Final Smash was him spying a Shroob UFO (?) in the distance, and using his cane as a magic wand (?!?) to zap everyone on the screen.

Then his victory pose was him getting a back massage from a Pianta (?!?!?!) and I woke up, thoroughly confused.
i too often get dreams that make me say "what was that about"

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Then his Final Smash was him spying a Shroob UFO (?) in the distance, and using his cane as a magic wand (?!?) to zap everyone on the screen.
This part might actually not be as far fetched as you'd first think.

In New Super Mario Bros. Toadsworth could create ? Blocks with his cane hinting at the cane being magic!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Yo an Indiana Jones-style young Captain Toadsworth sounds awesome.

Actually your entire dream sounds awesome.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Small Toad update: Super Nintendo World (the Japanese theme park) had it's website leaked and the only new render we got was this:

AAc-_GAAAw4W.jpg

Chef Toad!

Rest of the pics were placeholder renders of Mario, Yoshi, Bowser and Peach from what I saw.

Top Bottom