• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm curious how he fights in battle...if he does indeed fight. I have a feeling he'll be equipping his spade or headbutting but perhaps he'll have some useful species ability too?
Imagine if he can equip a pickax.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Almost done with that toad moveset, just need up-air, side special and a final smash

any suggestions?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Almost done with that toad moveset, just need up-air, side special and a final smash

any suggestions?
fogbadge has a good selection already but here's a few others I thought of:

Up air:
Dice Block Smash:
similar to Game and Watch's Judge ability, each number has a different effect. Mario Party based. If the block hits the opponent they get affected by the RNG.
Spore 'Splosion: Since Toad has been gifted the ability to summon spores in Smash, why not build up and blast those enemies skywards?
Spiny Shell: Mario Maker 2 allows Toad to don the Spiny Shell atop his head. They'll really feel this one...

Side Special:
Turnip Cannon:
fires a projectile at rapid speed and great distance. Decent KO potential
Bomb Kick: Based on Wario's Woods: Toad kicks a bomb that travels across the floor. Relatively easy to dodge, but high KO potential if it hits and does fire damage to the unlucky victim.
Double Cherry: Toad creates a clone who throws him forward. The player can choose which Toad is real in this situation by pressing holding sideways to be the Toad being thrown, or release to be the Toad that throws. Allows for mix ups and mind games.

Final Smash:
Turnip Cannon:
if not used for side B. Launches a barrage of turnips into the opponent with incredibly high knock back,
Thwomp Crush: based off Wario's Woods Vs...Toad traps the enemy inside a tree stump and a giant thwomp
Mario Party: Toad forces his opponents into a Mario Party style game where he can
Mushroom Kingdom Army Assemble: Toad whistles and summons a tidal wave of Toads that sweep the stage.
Crushroom Rush: Toad hits the opponent with a mini Mushroom, takes a Mega Mushroom himself and proceeds to stomp the unlucky victims underfoot.
Wingo's Whackdown: Wingo proceeds to appear on one side of the stage and flaps his wings sending everyone but Toad who is hiding away flying off stage. Can be recovered from if you're lucky, but Little Mac, Chrom and other characters with poor recoveries are dead.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Mushroom Kingdom Army Assemble: Toad whistles and summons a tidal wave of Toads that sweep the stage.
Too close from Yoshi's. I have a better idea: instead of "sweeping", all the Toads should sing, as a chorus. And all opponent near enough to hear their voices automatically kills himself!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Too close from Yoshi's. I have a better idea: instead of "sweeping", all the Toads should sing, as a chorus. And all opponent near enough to hear their voices automatically kills himself!
I do wonder why they made the decision to tweak Toad's voice from the original plan in Wario's Woods SNES:
As you can hear in 1994 he used to have a deeper, more realistic youthful voice before they tweaked it in the 64 era to what we know now.

I think I have some sort of annoyance immunity to Toad's voice since a lot of people seem to hate it, but since he speaks only the occasional line of dialogue it's never bothered me.

Now...when Wario speaks in full sentences in WarioWare Gold? That unsettles me. The Mario cast should never speak in full paragraphs.

Laniv

Smash Lord
Okay about Toad's final smash

I'm stuck between YoshiandToad's Crushroom Rush idea and another concept where Toad uses the Warp Whistle to summon a tornado to blow enemies away

Which do you like?

Laniv

Smash Lord
Toad's voice is nice, it's fitting

However, I'm not too keen on everyone making a meme out of it so everyone is just "haha annoying voice infernal noises"

Laniv

Smash Lord
After all this time, I am happy to present to you...

The Toad Moveset!

Toad is Ready to Party!!

1593724301012.png

At long last, Toad joins the battle! In the Mushroom Kingdom, Toad and his kind could often be found in Toad Houses, giving away power-ups to the Mario Brothers to help them save Princess Peach from the clutches of the wicked Bowser. In the world of Smash, however, the Princess is perfectly capable of defending herself, so Toad puts those powerups to good use, and summons them to aid him in battle!

Weight: 80 (tied with Meta Knight and ZSS)
Walk: 1.259 (tied with the Pits)
Dash: 2.125 (inbetween Diddy Kong and Pikachu)
Jumps: 2 (his jumps are not very high)
Air Speed: 1.113 (tied with Shulk)
Fall Speed: 1.78 (tied with Ridley)

Jab: A simple one-two jab, followed up by a headbutt. 2%, 2%, 4%.
Forward Tilt: Toad rears back and slams his head, similarly to DK’s headbutt. 7%.
Up Tilt: Performs a short little hop, taking Mario’s iconic jump pose. 9%.
Down Tilt: As he crouches, Toad slides forward headfirst. This moves him forward in the direction he’s facing. 7%.
Dash Attack: Super Star: Toad runs forward with arms spread like an airplane, glowing with the power of a Super Star. He is completely invincible during this attack. 10%.

Forward Smash: Super Hammer: Using the Super Hammer, Toad swings a hammer as big as he is. 16.4%.

Up Smash: Toad points upwards as two mushrooms sprout up on either side of him. (think Squirtle’s up smash, but with mushrooms). 3.2% (initial hit), 14% (clean), 8.7% (late).

Down Smash: Boomerang Toad: Using the Boomerang Flower, Toad faces the screen and throws two boomerangs on either side of him. 15% (max range), 10% (point blank). The boomerangs go farther the more the move is charged.

Neutral Aerial: Toad releases spores in a quick burst around himself. 11%.
Forward Aerial: Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it forward. 7%. Toad will move forward slightly if he uses this attack.
Back Aerial: Reverse Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it behind himself. 8.3%. Toad will move backward slightly if he uses this attack.
Up Aerial: A headbutt, like what Ness and Lucas do. There's a sweet spot on the center of his head that releases spores. 17% (sweet spot), 11% (sides of head).
Down Aerial: Statue Toad: Using the Statue Leaf, Toad transforms into a statue and slams down hard. A meteor smash. 12.2% (clean), 8% (late). This move also has light armor for up to 9%. Try not to use this move offstage.

Grab: A standard grab with one hand. Nothing special here.
Pummel: Toad headbutts his opponent with his mushroom head. 1.2% per pummel.
Forward Throw: Toad lifts the opponent over his head and throws them with both hands. The animation resembles that in Super Mario Bros. 2. 10%. This is a kill throw!
Back Throw: Toad turns around to throw the opponent with both hands. 11%.
Down Throw: Toad drops his opponent on the ground, then hops and headbutts. 1.1% (first hit), 7% (throw).
Up Throw: Toad drops the opponent and points upward as a mushroom sprouts underneath, popping the foe upward. 12.4%.

Neutral Special—Poison Shroom: Toad throws a Poison Mushroom that looks markedly different from the item. It slowly moves along the ground in the direction Toad was facing when he used the move. If an opponent touches it, the Poison Shroom will explode in a small burst of spores, paralyzing the foe. At higher percentages, this move may poison the foe. 13% (initial hit), 4.5% (spores), 1.7% (poison damage)

Side SpecialGolden Mushroom Dash: Toad rushes forward at high speed, colliding with foes. Unlike with Banjo and Kazooie's Wonderwing, Toad can turn around up to two times. The attack gets weaker the longer he runs. However, as he runs, he is capable of outpacing many characters, even Sonic!

Up SpecialPropeller Mushroom: Using the Propeller Mushroom, Toad flies upward while spinning. The propeller damages opponents multiple times, and he descends slowly. Tap down to use a Drill Spin meteor smash! 2.3% (propeller), 6.4% (Drill Spin)

Down SpecialMystery Block: A ? Block appears above Toad, who bashes it to receive a power-up! Toad can get:

Fire Flower: Gives him a Fire Flower item to hold and use.
Super Mushroom: Gives him a Super Mushroom item, so that he may grow.
Green Shell: Gives him a Green Shell item to hold and use.
Super Star: Toad receives the power of a Super Star, making him invincible
Poison Mushroom: Shrinks Toad.

In order from most common to least common: Fire Flower, Green Shell, Super Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, Super Star.

Final SmashWarp Whistle: Toad takes out a Warp Whistle and plays that familiar tune, summoning a tornado that scoops opponents up and whisks them away! This Final Smash is very effective on stages with low upper blast lines. 34%.

Entrance: Toad emerges from a Toad House, saying “Fight time!” as he hops.

Boxing Ring Title: The Original Mushroom Retainer

Idle Pose 1: Toad pauses briefly as he sneezes.
Idle Pose 2: Toad will pat his mushroom head, to make sure nothing is too bruised.

Taunts

Taunt 1: Toad hops from foot to foot, saying “Let’s go!”.
Taunt 2: Toad plucks a mushroom from somewhere on his person, and rolls it along his arm before spinning it on his finger. Aesthetically, the mushroom can be a Super Mushroom, Mini Mushroom, or a 1-Up Mushroom.
Taunt 3: Toad adjusts his pants before pointing forward, saying “Let’s do this!”

Victory Poses

Victory Pose 1: Toad twirls around twice and flashes the V sign, saying, “I’m the winner!”
Victory Pose 2: From the background, Toad hops, flips to bounce off his head, and lands on a large mushroom to point towards the sky.
Victory Pose 3: Toad juggles three 1-Up Mushrooms before throwing them up into the air. As he waits for them to fall, a 3-Up Moon falls into his hands, much to his surprise.

Victory Theme: An arrangement of the fanfare that plays when Bowser is defeated in Super Mario Bros.

Lose/No Contest: Toad claps politely for the winner.

1593649905649.png
1593652780059.png

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
After all this time, I am happy to present to you...

The Toad Moveset!

Toad is Ready to Party!!

View attachment 277046

At long last, Toad joins the battle! In the Mushroom Kingdom, Toad and his kind could often be found in Toad Houses, giving away power-ups to the Mario Brothers to help them save Princess Peach from the clutches of the wicked Bowser. In the world of Smash, however, the Princess is perfectly capable of defending herself, so Toad puts those powerups to good use, and summons them to aid him in battle!

Weight: 80 (tied with Meta Knight and ZSS)
Walk: 1.259 (tied with the Pits)
Dash: 2.125 (inbetween Diddy Kong and Pikachu)
Jumps: 2 (his jumps are not very high)
Air Speed: 1.113 (tied with Shulk)
Fall Speed: 1.78 (tied with Ridley)

Jab: A simple one-two jab, followed up by a headbutt. 2%, 2%, 4%.
Forward Tilt: Toad rears back and slams his head, similarly to DK’s headbutt. 7%.
Up Tilt: Performs a short little hop, taking Mario’s iconic jump pose. 9%.
Down Tilt: As he crouches, Toad slides forward headfirst. This moves him forward in the direction he’s facing. 7%.
Dash Attack: Super Star: Toad runs forward with arms spread like an airplane, glowing with the power of a Super Star. He is completely invincible during this attack. 10%.

Forward Smash: Super Hammer: Using the Super Hammer, Toad swings a hammer as big as he is. 16.4%.

Up Smash: Toad points upwards as two mushrooms sprout up on either side of him. (think Squirtle’s up smash, but with mushrooms). 3.2% (initial hit), 14% (clean), 8.7% (late).

Down Smash: Boomerang Toad: Using the Boomerang Flower, Toad faces the screen and throws two boomerangs on either side of him. 15% (max range), 10% (point blank). The boomerangs go farther the more the move is charged.

Neutral Aerial: Toad releases spores in a quick burst around himself. 11%.
Forward Aerial: Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it forward. 7%. Toad will move forward slightly if he uses this attack.
Back Aerial: Reverse Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it behind himself. 8.3%. Toad will move backward slightly if he uses this attack.
Up Aerial: A headbutt, like what Ness and Lucas do. There's a sweet spot on the center of his head that releases spores. 17% (sweet spot), 11% (sides of head).
Down Aerial: Statue Toad: Using the Statue Leaf, Toad transforms into a statue and slams down hard. A meteor smash. 12.2% (clean), 8% (late). This move also has light armor for up to 9%. Try not to use this move offstage.

Grab: A standard grab with one hand. Nothing special here.
Pummel: Toad headbutts his opponent with his mushroom head. 1.2% per pummel.
Forward Throw: Toad lifts the opponent over his head and throws them with both hands. The animation resembles that in Super Mario Bros. 2. 10%. This is a kill throw!
Back Throw: Toad turns around to throw the opponent with both hands. 11%.
Down Throw: Toad drops his opponent on the ground, then hops and headbutts. 1.1% (first hit), 7% (throw).
Up Throw: Toad drops the opponent and points upward as a mushroom sprouts underneath, popping the foe upward. 12.4%.

Neutral Special—Poison Shroom: Toad throws a Poison Mushroom that looks markedly different from the item. It slowly moves along the ground in the direction Toad was facing when he used the move. If an opponent touches it, the Poison Shroom will explode in a small burst of spores, paralyzing the foe. At higher percentages, this move may poison the foe. 13% (initial hit), 4.5% (spores), 1.7% (poison damage)

Side SpecialGolden Mushroom Dash: Toad rushes forward at high speed, colliding with foes. Unlike with Banjo and Kazooie's Wonderwing, Toad can turn around up to two times. The attack gets weaker the longer he runs. However, as he runs, he is capable of outpacing many characters, even Sonic!

Up SpecialPropeller Mushroom: Using the Propeller Mushroom, Toad flies upward while spinning. The propeller damages opponents multiple times, and he descends slowly. Tap down to use a Drill Spin meteor smash! 2.3% (propeller), 6.4% (Drill Spin)

Down SpecialMystery Block: A ? Block appears above Toad, who bashes it to receive a power-up! Toad can get:

Fire Flower: Gives him a Fire Flower item to hold and use.
Super Mushroom: Gives him a Super Mushroom item, so that he may grow.
Green Shell: Gives him a Green Shell item to hold and use.
Super Star: Toad receives the power of a Super Star, making him invincible
Poison Mushroom: Shrinks Toad.

In order from most common to least common: Fire Flower, Green Shell, Super Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, Super Star.

Final SmashWarp Whistle: Toad takes out a Warp Whistle and plays that familiar tune, summoning a tornado that scoops opponents up and whisks them away! This Final Smash is very effective on stages with low upper blast lines. 34%.

Entrance: Toad emerges from a Toad House, saying “Fight time!” as he hops.

Boxing Ring Title: The Original Mushroom Retainer

Idle Pose 1: Toad pauses briefly as he sneezes.
Idle Pose 2: Toad will pat his mushroom head, to make sure nothing is too bruised.

Taunts

Taunt 1: Toad hops from foot to foot, saying “Let’s go!”.
Taunt 2: Toad plucks a mushroom from somewhere on his person, and rolls it along his arm before spinning it on his finger. Aesthetically, the mushroom can be a Super Mushroom, Mini Mushroom, or a 1-Up Mushroom.
Taunt 3: Toad adjusts his pants before pointing forward, saying “Let’s do this!”

Victory Poses

Victory Pose 1: Toad twirls around twice and flashes the V sign, saying, “I’m the winner!”
Victory Pose 2: From the background, Toad hops, flips to bounce off his head, and lands on a large mushroom to point towards the sky.
Victory Pose 3: Toad juggles three 1-Up Mushrooms before throwing them up into the air. As he waits for them to fall, a 3-Up Moon falls into his hands, much to his surprise.

Victory Theme: An arrangement of the fanfare that plays when Bowser is defeated in Super Mario Bros.

Lose/No Contest: Toad claps politely for the winner.

nice job, weve got some move set ideas in the first post, do let me know if youd like me to add yours

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I do wonder why they made the decision to tweak Toad's voice from the original plan in Wario's Woods SNES:
As you can hear in 1994 he used to have a deeper, more realistic youthful voice before they tweaked it in the 64 era to what we know now.

I think I have some sort of annoyance immunity to Toad's voice since a lot of people seem to hate it, but since he speaks only the occasional line of dialogue it's never bothered me.

Now...when Wario speaks in full sentences in WarioWare Gold? That unsettles me. The Mario cast should never speak in full paragraphs.
Yeah, Toad's voice is definitely a problem for me. It sounds like a serious case of Smoker's lung.
I do miss the Mario Kart 64 voice. That's what I used to know it to be. Highly nostalgic.

______

Honestly, I'm still sometimes shocked that Captain Toad wasn't in the base game. His inability to jump is an incredibly curious feat around which Sakurai could create a compelling moveset.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Thought up a Classic Mode route for Toad:

Servant Smackdown!

(theme is fighters that would assist royals or others in a position of power)

1. :ultpit: on Skyworld (he serves the goddess Palutena)
2. :ultolimar: on Distant Planet (he's out working for the President of Hocotate Freight)
3. :ultisabelle: on Town & City (the mayor's assistant)
4. :ultlink: on Great Plateau Tower (this specific Link is a knight of Hyrule)
5. :ultlarry::ultroy2::ultwendy::ultiggy::ultmorton::ultlemmy::ultludwig: on Mushroom Kingdom U (they might not be Bowser's kids anymore, but they're still servant to the royal Koopa line)
6. :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach: on Princess Peach's Castle ("I must break free," thought the mushroom man)

Boss: Giga Bowser

Laniv

Smash Lord
My greatest dream: What if we get a Captain Toad 2 reveal as part of the rumored Nintendo Direct, with a subsequent Captain Toad Smash reveal?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
My greatest dream: What if we get a Captain Toad 2 reveal as part of the rumored Nintendo Direct, with a subsequent Captain Toad Smash reveal?
I can't even pretend I wouldn't be bouncing off the walls in sheer joy if that happened!

It would cement Captain Toad as a series and realise a long long LOOOOOOONNNNG awaited dream to have (a) Toad in Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ooh the lego toad house set is up for pre order on nintendo uk's store. out of stock by the time i got there, just as well it costs more than ring fit adventure and i doubt id have self control

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That would be nice.

Knowing Sakurai, it’s probably Paper Mario, Waluigi, and/or Geno. They are who the Smash community wants the most.

Staarih

Smash Master
Captain Toad & Toadette are added to Mario Kart Tour. Oh, and Choco Mountain too apparently:

I’ve also totally stopped receiving notifications from this thread, need to fix that asap.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's sad when the mobile game has a better character selection than the actual games, but then again it is to be expected with gachas.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Huh.

We were just discussing how odd it was that Captain Toad hadn't been added into Mario Kart Tour yet. Well they fixed that!

Urgh! He looks so good...dammit the temptation to start Tour up again is growing despite knowing I'll never pull him!

Mario Kart 9 had BETTER have these two and their adorable mine KARTS too. Would main in an instant.

Staarih

Smash Master
It's sad when the mobile game has a better character selection than the actual games, but then again it is to be expected with gachas.
Here’s hoping some of these will end up in Mario Kart 9 in the future, MKT is shaping up to be Mario Kart’s version of ”Everyone is here!”... along with a dozen random costume characters but that’s what is to be expected from a gacha haha!

Apparently Nabbit is teased to be added as well, this tour has a boss battle mission with him in it.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Damn I hate Mario Kart Tour with a passion. They keep adding all the cool characters/karts to this game while 8 Deluxe slowly dies in a corner and with no MK9 in sight. This game has Pauline, The real King Boo, Diddy, Dixie, Funky, Birdo, and now Captain Toad!? Come on! If they add Prof. E.Gadd or King K.Rool. Im gonna lose it as then all my dream roster characters will finally be in but in the ****ty mobile game.

Anyway the mine cart karts are adorable and they work on two levels. As not only do they work great for Captain Toad/Explorer Toadette. I would love to be able to use the Kong family in those as well. Ugh...lol

Top Bottom