• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well guys, a new Paper Mario just dropped and looks like partners are back...

Including Toad! This gameplay doesn't show much but look at just before Paper Mario attacks; Toad and the new character appear to be selectable for attacks:
excellent yet even more stuff for toad in smash

edit: ninja toads!!! yes!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yo Toad Brigade.

So remember Lego Super Mario? Well, our mushroom buddies Toad and Toadette just got added as part of an expansion pack called "Toad's Treasure Hunt":

LegoToad.jpg

Comes to an expensive $69.99/£74.99 for the set(oof, Lego is not a cheap hobby) and is out on August 1st.

If you're curious just2good recently posted a review as they got an early copy so check it out if you're curious. How Toad is constructed is pretty interesting to get the way his mushroom head sits...

So what do you think? Are you a Lego fan who can't wait for this? Are you awaiting the Lego Super Mario Video game? Do you think the unusual design of these particular lego sets work or do you prefer more traditional Lego figures?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Yo Toad Brigade.

So remember Lego Super Mario? Well, our mushroom buddies Toad and Toadette just got added as part of an expansion pack called "Toad's Treasure Hunt":

Comes to an expensive $69.99/£74.99 for the set(oof, Lego is not a cheap hobby) and is out on August 1st.

If you're curious just2good recently posted a review as they got an early copy so check it out if you're curious. How Toad is constructed is pretty interesting to get the way his mushroom head sits...

So what do you think? Are you a Lego fan who can't wait for this? Are you awaiting the Lego Super Mario Video game? Do you think the unusual design of these particular lego sets work or do you prefer more traditional Lego figures?
They look cool, but honestly figs would be cooler.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Yo Toad Brigade.

Not for me. Far too expensive, and I prefer stuff like Amiibos.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not for me. Far too expensive, and I prefer stuff like Amiibos.
I must admit the price is a little too insane.

My original plan was to purchase this set and the Mario house set just for the Toads and Yoshi but that is a hell of a price tag.

As I'm British it looks like I'm getting hit with an additional price hike on top of that. The official British price is £74.99 but looking at the American cost it should in actual fact translate to £55.75!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As I'm British it looks like I'm getting hit with an additional price hike on top of that. The official British price is £74.99 but looking at the American cost it should in actual fact translate to £55.75!
really? good grief

im still gonna get it, i know i am

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Oh, I forgot to mention, I've been playing Luigi's Mansion 3 finally.

Without spoiling anything major, does anyone else like that you can highfive Toad and give him a piggyback ride during certain points in the game?

It's genuinely adorable.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well gang thats another hurdle out of the way for toad/captaintoad/toadette, being a spirit doesnt matter. now if we could just get sakurai to notice him we'll be golden

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's certainly one less obstacle for our mushroom retainer buddy.

Technically there's absolutely nothing stopping Toad at this point ASIDE from a lack of interest from Sakurai:

He's a spirit!
Shot to bits by today's reveal. Thank you Min Min.

He's in Peach and Daisy's moveset!

"Anything Can Change" - Chrom who is in another person's moveset and is also playable in his own right.

He's a generic species!
Piranha Plant.
Inkling.
R.O.B.
Mr. Game and Watch
Yoshi
Every single Pokemon except Mewtwo...

He missed his chance!
Again, Min Min. ARMS missed it's chance. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is another 1M+ selling title(Over that on Switch alone, possibly 2M+ when Wii U and even the 3DS are included).
Bowser Jr's popularity peak was during Sunshine, and yet he wasn't added immedietly into Brawl when the timing made most sense.
Isabelle was added a game later than her popularity peak too.
Also Chrom. Again!

What would his moveset even be?
There's been Smash fighters with less to work with than Toad's 35 years experience as a Nintendo star: Captain Falcon, Fox, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Duck Hunt Dog...the list truly goes on forever.

Every single gatekeeping roadblock has been demolished. The only thing that stands between our boy and actual success is Sakurai and a lack of noise from us fans.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Well, I'm not exactly a Toad-fan, but nobody should have had to make noise for him to get in, especially after Captain Toad. He's cute, he's been in almost every main and spin-off Mario game from the beginning... He's a star of his own right.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's certainly one less obstacle for our mushroom retainer buddy.

Technically there's absolutely nothing stopping Toad at this point ASIDE from a lack of interest from Sakurai:

He's a spirit!
Shot to bits by today's reveal. Thank you Min Min.

He's in Peach and Daisy's moveset!
"Anything Can Change" - Chrom who is in another person's moveset and is also playable in his own right.

He's a generic species!
Piranha Plant.
Inkling.
R.O.B.
Mr. Game and Watch
Yoshi
Every single Pokemon except Mewtwo...

He missed his chance!
Again, Min Min. ARMS missed it's chance. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is another 1M+ selling title(Over that on Switch alone, possibly 2M+ when Wii U and even the 3DS are included).
Bowser Jr's popularity peak was during Sunshine, and yet he wasn't added immedietly into Brawl when the timing made most sense.
Isabelle was added a game later than her popularity peak too.
Also Chrom. Again!

What would his moveset even be?
There's been Smash fighters with less to work with than Toad's 35 years experience as a Nintendo star: Captain Falcon, Fox, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Duck Hunt Dog...the list truly goes on forever.

Every single gatekeeping roadblock has been demolished. The only thing that stands between our boy and actual success is Sakurai and a lack of noise from us fans.
Honestly, if we get a Captain Toad 2? That's it, he's in. No way Captain Toad becomes a fully fledged spin-off series without that translating to Smash in a meaningful way. So that's kinda the endgame, at least for me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, if we get a Captain Toad 2? That's it, he's in. No way Captain Toad becomes a fully fledged spin-off series without that translating to Smash in a meaningful way. So that's kinda the endgame, at least for me.
wish i had your optimism

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Yeah, well. There was "no way" we wouldn't get a true Zelda newcomer in almost twenty years...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I want Captain Toad 2 so damn much, even outside of just raising the chances of Toad in Smash.
I feel this isometric puzzler really has legs to be a full fledged series in the same vein as Luigi's Mansion has become. More boss levels though! Draggadon and Wingo are great but I want a few more of those thrown in next time.

They'll need to a few more ideas to keep the puzzles fresh but I was really impressed with the DLC levels showcasing some of that creativity.

Yeah, well. There was "no way" we wouldn't get a true Zelda newcomer in almost twenty years...
Frankly this is also ridiculous. We should have had SOMEONE by this point. Midna, Skull Kid, Tingle, Impa, anyone really.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I want Captain Toad 2 so damn much, even outside of just raising the chances of Toad in Smash.
I feel this isometric puzzler really has legs to be a full fledged series in the same vein as Luigi's Mansion has become. More boss levels though! Draggadon and Wingo are great but I want a few more of those thrown in next time.

They'll need to a few more ideas to keep the puzzles fresh but I was really impressed with the DLC levels showcasing some of that creativity.

Frankly this is also ridiculous. We should have had SOMEONE by this point. Midna, Skull Kid, Tingle, Impa, anyone really.
More boss levels are a must. Do you think Wingo should stay as the main bad guy? I believe having a recurring villain is a big step towards cementing as series as its own thing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
More boss levels are a must. Do you think Wingo should stay as the main bad guy? I believe having a recurring villain is a big step towards cementing as series as its own thing.
dont see why not itd be kind of cool for cap and toadette to have their own arch enemy

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I hadn't considered that, but I think you're right.

Luigi has King Boo, Mario has Bowser, Yoshi has Kamek and Baby Bowser, Donkey Kong... traditionally had K.Rool anyway, although they're experimenting a bit more now and Wario had Captain Syrup(although again, he has experimented with numerous others). Even Diddy Kong has Wizpig in his racing titles.

I was going to suggest Wario be a villain as a callback to Wario's Woods, but thinking about it that would only murky the waters for Captain Toad and put him in a similar position to Waluigi.

In a way Wingo is the antithesis of Captain Toad anyway, so he really does work.

Captain Toad is:
  • Small
  • Grounded
  • Good hearted
  • An underdog
  • Scared
  • Relies on the environment around him and his own physical skills to save others
Whilst Wingo is:
  • Huge
  • Aerial based
  • At best a bully, at worst evil
  • Gifted with super natural powers
  • Overconfident
  • Overly relies on his magical powers and gigantic size to bully those smaller than him
The only things I would request is we can do something with all the gold we collect this time round. Ideally some fun cosmetic items such as new hats or backpack designs. Maybe even an unlockable Toadsworth and regular Toad alt characters.

Also, while we're at it; more coins. Luigi's Mansion had gold in every nook and cranny but Captain Toad is actually trying to track it down and some levels have less than 100 coins even!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
BOTW was the highest grossing Zelda game of all time and a sequel to it is coming up. So maybe one of the Champions will be in FP2 to promote BOTW2.

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
BOTW was the highest grossing Zelda game of all time and a sequel to it is coming up. So maybe one of the Champions will be in FP2 to promote BOTW2.
I liked the champions, but I hope they will not come back. They're dead, they've fulfilled their task, there is a new generation to carry on their legacy... In a word, their time has passed, and now they deserve to rest in peace.

Maybe a totally new Ganondorf though, or a young again Impa...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
guys, as much as i enjoy talking about how hard done by zelda is, this is the thread for talking about how hard done by toad is

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I liked the champions, but I hope they will not come back. They're dead, they've fulfilled their task, there is a new generation to carry on their legacy... In a word, their time has passed, and now they deserve to rest in peace.

Maybe a totally new Ganondorf though, or a young again Impa...
Well Dark Samus is dead and her role in the Metroid series is over and she's in Smash.

Edit: Impa would nicely do. I believe next to Pig Ganon, Impa is probably the most deserving Zelda character to get into the roster as she has been in the games since the very first Zelda.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes, sorry about that.
its fine these things happen

Well Dark Samus is dead and her role in the Metroid series is over and she's in Smash.

Edit: Impa would nicely do. I believe next to Pig Ganon, Impa is probably the most deserving Zelda character to get into the roster as she has been in the games since the very first Zelda.
what did i just say

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Paper Mario has just revealed a new character on it's website who appears in Paper Mario: The Origami King.

View attachment 276641

That's going to get confusing...
Interesting. If a Toad actually becomes a partner in Paper Mario The Origami King, then surely this Toad partner would give us more moveset material to work with for Toad/Captain Toad. I just hope that this Toad partner is not the Goombario/Goombella of the game. Toad needs something more than squealing on enemies and headbutting enemies.

This is from the Paper Mario website. I wonder if these are the new partners (hopefully they are actually partners like in N64 and GCN games)... I am not sure because they (except for Bowser Jr.) are generic species and not unique characters of their respective species.

1593464312255.png

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i saw on nintendo uk's store captain toad was part of a mental well being section
Got a link? I could see Treasure Tracker being used as a relaxing title for people's mental well being...outside Mummy-Me Maze Forever and some of Toadette's bonus levels where she is chased by a Mummy-Me across the flip panels.

Interesting. If a Toad actually becomes a partner in Paper Mario The Origami King, then surely this Toad partner would give us more moveset material to work with for Toad/Captain Toad. I just hope that this Toad partner is not the Goombario/Goombella of the game. Toad needs something more than squealing on enemies and headbutting enemies.

This is from the Paper Mario website. I wonder if these are the new partners (hopefully they are actually partners like in N64 and GCN games)... I am not sure because they (except for Bowser Jr.) are generic species and not unique characters of their respective species.

View attachment 276683
Not actually the Toad in the picture, but it's been confirmed you team up with a Yellow Toad in explorer gear not completely unlike the good Captain:

PMOK_Professor_Toad.png

His name is Professor Toad and what we do know atm is he has an overworld ability to dig up items and reveal treasures in the desert land.

Top Bottom