• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
images.jpeg

His arms and fist expand in Ultimate at current as Peach's counter just like every fighters do when they attack anyway. It truly is a non issue.

Also I'd hope he'd be more a headbutt kinda guy if he got in since it's the largest part of him. Satisfying headbutt action.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, I never found the size of limbs to be a problem for Smash, I mean...we have things like this too since Day 1:

Even in the Mario platformers he's playable in, Toad is grossly oversized to match with the other playable human characters. Toad's definitely got enough mushrooms to go around when it comes to extending his height haha.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
This looks a little familiar...

Looks neat. If you want some more isometric puzzling this might not be a bad bet.

Are you really comparing a Subspace Robot with good arms and thrusters for movement and an venus fly-trap with medium leafy arms to a small, stubby mushroom child?
He currently punches in the game with them small, stubby little arms tho. Proves it works already.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Small arms aren't an issue. Even if you don't want to expand them (like almost every other character in the series does when they attack) you can still increase his range by having him swing a pick-axe or a question block, or something.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wakey wakey Toad Brigade. There's rumours of remakes of Mario's library coming to the Switch and a Deluxe version of 3D World(with new levels), aka the one where you can play as Toad(and Captain Toad's playable debut game).

Currently just rumours but seems to be coming from a respectable source. We may finally be getting 3D World Deluxe!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wakey wakey Toad Brigade. There's rumours of remakes of Mario's library coming to the Switch and a Deluxe version of 3D World(with new levels), aka the one where you can play as Toad(and Captain Toad's playable debut game).

Currently just rumours but seems to be coming from a respectable source. We may finally be getting 3D World Deluxe!
yeah ive seen the rumours kicking about, cant find these pics people talk about

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

That'd be great, despite owning a Wii U I never got 3D World so a Deluxe version of it on Switch would be right up my alley!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Gonna repost this from the Newcomer thread as I think it's relevant and why Captain Toad could be the next fighter

On the Mario story posted here, there is a lot more information that points to this being a big deal. From the original story at VGC

So not only was Nintendo going to hold a physical event at E3 (something they haven't done since 2012), they were also going to talk about the movie and theme park. With this and the games coming out, I think there is the real possibility Nintendo is going all in on Mario this year. This could also point to Fighter Pass 7 being a Mario character.

I should note Nintendo has done this before. For Smash Wii U/3DS, they released a new stage for Mario's 30th Anniversary. Back then, stages were not bundled with characters. The stage released in September (the same month as the anniversary) and was the only new DLC stage not tied to a new character. Now, stages and characters are tied together, so there is a real possibility Nintendo will add a Mario character as FP7 to coincide with the 35th Anniversary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOdhFajSdj8

I'd argue the addition of the ARMS character supports this. If ARMS was to promote a sequel, then it would reason Nintendo would also request a new Mario character for Smash to promote the 35th anniversary. If it wasn't for ARMS 2, then it could point to Vol 2 being very Nintendo focused, which would, again, probably mean we'd get a Mario character in conjunction with this event.

My guess is Nintendo will pick a character and add Mario content around it. So a new Mario stage of some sort, music from many different games, and a spirit board likely made up of old Mario artwork (classic sprites, artwork from old games like 64 and Sunshine). As for possible canidates, there are quite a few
I'm starting to think that Captain Toad could have a good shot if this is the case. Mario 3D World is getting a Deluxe port (based on the rumors) and there isn't much content from that game in Smash. Captain Toad with a 3D World stage could work very well and it's something that can represent Mario as a whole. It could be a lot of different Mario characters, but Captain Toad could be a possibility. At the very least, confident that FP7 is a Mario character if these rumors are true.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well lets think about this logically. you want a character to celebrate to 35th anniversary of super mario bros, then you want a character who debuted in that game and whose been in nearly every single game in the franchise and whod be in all those rumoured games. and toad fits that perfectly

so will it be toad? no, it never is

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm a little nervous this is an April Fools joke two days early though.

But if it's true...I really hope they also bring the 3D World levels back to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker on Switch as a promotional thing! The files are apparently still in the game so there's not much to stop them!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
well lets think about this logically. you want a character to celebrate to 35th anniversary of super mario bros, then you want a character who debuted in that game and whose been in nearly every single game in the franchise and whod be in all those rumoured games. and toad fits that perfectly

Sad but true

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sad but true
Well one thing we do have going for us is ARMS is sitting at #19 on most successful Switch titles, whilst Captain Toad is sitting at #25 currently. For comparisons sake Astral Chain, another semi successful new IP is #29.

Of course Luigi's Mansion 3 is #10 which gives a rival in King Boo or E. Gadd or even Gooigi.

Mario Maker 2(which would probably choose one of the Toads) is #11 and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe(which again might point at a playable Toad/Toadette) is sitting at #9. Odyssey which stars Captain Toad as well is at #3 but obviously Pauline is a heavily promoted character in Odyssey too.

Mario Kart Deluxe 8 is #1 best seller with Smash sitting just behind.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

We all know it’s going to be Waluigi or Geno or even Goomba. :rolleyes:

Anyone but Toad. That’s how Sakurai is.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well one thing we do have going for us is ARMS is sitting at #19 on most successful Switch titles, whilst Captain Toad is sitting at #25 currently. For comparisons sake Astral Chain, another semi successful new IP is #29.

Of course Luigi's Mansion 3 is #10 which gives a rival in King Boo or E. Gadd or even Gooigi.

Mario Maker 2(which would probably choose one of the Toads) is #11 and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe(which again might point at a playable Toad/Toadette) is sitting at #9. Odyssey which stars Captain Toad as well is at #3 but obviously Pauline is a heavily promoted character in Odyssey too.

Mario Kart Deluxe 8 is #1 best seller with Smash sitting just behind.
well at least its a game with toad in it sitting at the top

We all know it’s going to be Waluigi or Geno or even Goomba. :rolleyes:

Anyone but Toad. That’s how Sakurai is.
probably

Lotch

Smash Rookie
Toad deserves it. More than Waluigi, Paper Mario (I’ll say it, no one else will, but I will.), Geno, someone said Goomba, or anyone. This is the only character I’d drop Game and Watch for.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't find a "deserving" thing to be useful, especially if it's trying to go after other fanbases(implied or otherwise). I feel all of them are great options. I also would say all 4 are notable missing characters. Though I admit I consider Paper Mario to be the lesser ones among all 4. Do note I would put Captain Toad a bit lower than Paper Mario too, as he isn't an outright All-Star in the same way Toad is(not calling him a bad option whatsoever. My own personal opinion of how he should be implemented be damned). That, and I consider them entirely different characters overall, as they're extremely different in abilities. Incidentally they happen to be different people, though they clearly use the same voice clips and personality. It's weird they even bothered to separate them, but eh, it is what it is. Could be because they're as different as night and day in what they do or something. That, and Captain Toad was introduced while regular Toad was among Peach's brigade at the time, so that might be part of why?

If I'm being fair, Toad is definitely the one I want the most out of the 4. Otherwise, after that, it'd be Waluigi > Paper Mario > Geno > Captain Toad. I'm aware I did note I consider Geno more "important" as an addition than Paper Mario, but that's not the same as want. Besides, they both can represent the core action commands either way. Respectively they are still extremely different in their own despite a similar gameplay mechanic that they're known for.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Super Mario Maker 2 is getting a final update.

So the Mushroom from Super Mario Bros. 2 is getting in and it allows you to stand on enemies and pick them up.

That’s what I have always wanted for Toad in Smash.

Still no Super Mario Bros. 2 game style but it is a start.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
see now i want toad to have a mario maker move set even more, what a side special that bullet bill mask would be

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Count me in as a new member of the Toad Brigade! I made my own moveset and Classic Mode route for the Captain:
Intro: Captain Toad/Toadette’s level starting animation from Treasure Tracker, complete with a circle around his/her face that fades away.

Stance/Idle 1: His/her idle animation from Treasure Tracker.

Idle 2: His/her secondary level starting animation from Treasure Tracker.

Notable Palette Swaps
-Default (Captain Toad)
-Default (Toadette)
-Blue Toad (Captain Toad)
-1-Up Mushroom (Toadette)
-Yellow Toad (Captain Toad)
-Super Mushroom (Toadette)
-Poison Mushroom (Captain Toad)
-Peachette colors (Toadette)

Walk: Their walk cycle from Treasure Tracker.

Dash: Captain Toad/Toadette hi-tails it with his/her stubby legs. The speed depends on the weight of their backpack.

Damage: Their death pose from Treasure Tracker.

Jump: Captain Toad/Toadette jumps about as high as Luigi when his/her backpack is empty. The jump height is lowered to about Mario’s when his/her backpack is full.

Crouch: Captain Toad/Toadette crouches as though he/she’s blocking wind.

Weapon of Choice: While Captain Toad/Toadette doesn’t have a designated “weapon”, he/she can defend him/herself in various ways.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Captain Toad/Toadette slaps the opponent twice (4%, small knockback), and then swings his/her head downward (7%, OK knockback)
Forward+A: Captain Toad/Toadette quickly turns around to look for something, obliviously smacking the opponent with his/her backpack (8% when empty, OK knockback; 11% when full, OK knockback)
Down+A: Captain Toad/Toadette tosses a coin towards the opponent (6%, small knockback)
Up+A: Captain Toad/Toadette looks up as he/she turns on his/her head lamp (7%, small knockback)

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Captain Toad/Toadette drops two coins from either side of him/her (7% each, small knockback)
Air Forward+A: Captain Toad/Toadette discovers a Boo with his/her head lamp, and it disappears into a cloud of dust (10%, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Captain Toad/Toadette tosses a Vegetable from his/her backpack (7%, small knockback)
Air Up+A: Captain Toad/Toadette holds up a clear Super Star (11%, OK knockback)
Air Down+A: Captain Toad/Toadette swings his/her backpack downward (13% when empty, OK knockback; 22% with a meteor effect when full, medium knockback)

Other Attacks
Dash Attack: Captain Toad/Toadette trips over and bashes the opponent with his/her head (11%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Captain Toad/Toadette slams down with his/her head (10%, OK knockback)
Get-Up Attack: Captain Toad/Toadette jumps up and lets his/her arms and legs stretch out (8%, small knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Captain Toad/Toadette swings his/her backpack forward (14% when empty, OK knockback; 27% when full, medium knockback)
Up+A: Captain Toad/Toadette pulls out a big Vegetable (20%, medium knockback) that falls on the ground. It can then be used as an item (11%, OK knockback)
Down+A: Captain Toad/Toadette slams the ground with a Super Pickax (22%, medium knockback)

Grab & Throws
Grab: Boos suddenly appear, invisible, and grab the opponent.
Pummel: Captain Toad/Toadette discovers the Boos with his/her head lamp (4%)
Forwards+Throw: Captain Toad/Toadette tries to kick the Boos away, only to kick the opponent away by accident (12%, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Captain Toad/Toadette repeatedly attacks the opponent with the Super Pickax (19%, medium knockback)
Back+Throw: Captain Toad/Toadetter throws the opponent to the area behind them, trying to make the Boos go away (11%, OK knockback)
Up+Throw: The opponent is forced underground by the Boos, and Captain Toad/Toadette reduces them (well, sort of) by pulling them out of the ground (13%, OK knockback)

Special Moves
B : Super Gem Toss
; Captain Toad/Toadette pulls a Super Gem out of his/her backpack and tosses it at the opponent (20%, medium knockback)
B + Forwards : Pickax Dig; Captain Toad/Toadette takes out a Super Pickax and uses it to dig out a Vegetable (17%, OK knockback). You’ll sometimes dig out an item.
B + Up : Backpack Slingshot; Captain Toad/Toadette catapulte themselves by pulling their backpack strings and launching themselves. This move deals no damage, but you are launched farther when the backpack (which respawns once you touch the ground) is full.
B + Down : Grass Pull; Captain Toad/Toadette pulls on grass, and pulls an item from out of the ground. When his/her backpack is empty, he/she finds a Super Gem. When he/she already has one,

Final Smash: Wingo; Wingo appears and snatches Captain Toad/Toadette. Captain Toad/Toadette is now hanging for dear life on the Super Star on Wingo’s necklace. Wingo can be controlled by the player to move left or right, and can snatch opponents by pressing A or B. Any opponent(s) snatcher will be taken up to the top blast zone, K.O.-ing the, instantly.

Gimmick: Captain Toad/Toadette’s backpack alters his/her weight. When it’s empty, attacks involving the backpack will be weaker, but Captain Toad/Toadette have less jump weight. The opposite is true for when it’s full.

Taunts
1: Captain Toad/Toadette marches in a circle while humming.
2: Captain Toad/Toadette gets angry and stomps the ground; based on the intermission cutscenes from Treasure Tracker.
1+2: Captain Toad/Toadette stares in awe towards the camera and slightly moves his/her head.

Winposes
1: Captain Toad/Toadette animation for when he clears a level.
2: Captain Toad/Toadette sets a fire, only to see Wingo flying away with Toadette/Captain Toad, and runs off after them.
3: Captain Toad/Toadette’s victory dance after beating Wingo.

Icon: Mario series Icon

Boxing Ring Title:
-Toad Brigade Treasure Tracker (Captain Toad)
-Our Most Treasured Tracker (Toadette)

Victory Music: https://youtu.be/7ux4MdJTO7w

Kirby Hat: Captain Toad Or Toadette’s mushroom hat and head lamp
Cpt. Toad: Treasures Galore! (Fights characters who either search for or guard treasure)
Stage 1: :ultpiranha:x6 (horde battle) on 3D Land (Plucky Pass Beginnings)
Stage 2: :ultjoker:on Mementos (Last Surprise)
Stage 3: :ultwario:on :mky: (Underground Theme - Super Mario Land)
Bonus Game
Stage 4
: :ultmetaknight::ultmetaknight::ultmetaknight:on Arena Ferox (Hail from the Past)
Stage 5: Giant :ultswordfighter: (Black Knight) on Dracula’s Castle (Against the Dark Knight)
Stage 6: Rathalos (The King of Pyropuff Peak)
Boss: Giant :ultridley: (team battle w/Toadette or Captain Toad) on Great Plateau Tower Ω (The Great Tower Showdown 2)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Interesting... Mario Kart Tour is adding Builder Mario and Builder Toad from Super Mario Maker 2.

Here is the trailer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Interesting... Mario Kart Tour is adding Builder Mario and Builder Toad from Super Mario Maker 2.

Here is the trailer.

toad gets way better treatment in this game.

too bad it sucks

Count me in as a new member of the Toad Brigade! I made my own moveset and Classic Mode route for the Captain:
ive added you to our supporters list

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Here is the trailer.

Huh...I was hoping the minecart would have gone to the Captain if he got added, but I guess I'll take this.

I haven't played Mario Maker 2 in months now. This huge update however has got me excited again!

Laniv

Smash Lord
Currently working on a mushroom/power-up themed moveset for Toad, anyone got any ideas for a side smash?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Currently working on a mushroom/power-up themed moveset for Toad, anyone got any ideas for a side smash?
If Mushroom wise: Poison Mushroom (does damage by throwing it into opponent) could work for a side smash.
If general power up: either the Hammer powerup from Mario Maker 2 or Captain Toad's super pick axe are fairly meaty options that would work for a side Smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well guys, a new Paper Mario just dropped and looks like partners are back...

Including Toad! This gameplay doesn't show much but look at just before Paper Mario attacks; Toad and the new character appear to be selectable for attacks:

Top Bottom