• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mario Kart Tour just released an advert and it's filled to the brim with amusing Toad action!

[\spoiler]

How can you look at this and tell me Toad and his kin aren't a ton of fun?
ah you beat me to it, love the idea that toads build the tracks

also a mario kart glider would be a great recovery moves, why havent any of us thought of that before?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As arguably THE most(or second most: Yoshi exists) played character in Mario Kart, I guess Toad would certainly fit the paraglider.

There's a surprising amount of recovery options for a character who has famously has an abysmal jump.

Propeller cap, bubble, super jump tech from SMB2, Pidgit's magic carpet, this glider, pipe launch, platform creation, mushroom/music note block item spawning bouncing ala Pac-Man, Sonic and Megaman...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The speed boost panel? Fits the Mario Kart theme.

Can't wait for the Paris advert next.

All those fireballs... Toad fireball fireworks for a Final Smash?
boost pad or the manhole and pillar of water, these adds are giving us plenty of ideas

i just hope they got on ok in london

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Apologies for the bump but I have some things I want to share with the brigade:

c2b.jpeg
This came up in my feed today. "Everyone is here" check out fighter 5...I wish!
He really does fit nicely though, right Brigade?

How is everyone enjoying Mario Kart Tour? I pulled Toadette myself and am as far as the Peach cup.

Got a few issues with the game(Luigi is missing for one thing as well as Rosalina, Wario and Waluigi) but it's not bad for a free mobile game. Hopefully Online vs. will help extend the fun when it finally arrives.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

How is everyone enjoying Mario Kart Tour? I pulled Toadette myself and am as far as the Peach cup.

Got a few issues with the game(Luigi is missing for one thing as well as Rosalina, Wario and Waluigi) but it's not bad for a free mobile game. Hopefully Online vs. will help extend the fun when it finally arrives.
itd be much nicer if some of them had been cut

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman

Hopefully one day this will be a reality! With Sakurai's announcement for more DLC characters, Toad's chances might still be up there.

As for Mario Kart Tour, it does take a while to get used to the manual drift, but managed to pull Toad as the starter character so I'm quite pleased! Those ads featuring the Toads are absolutely charming too!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i met charles martinet today
Ah nice! He's a really nice guy right? I met him at Birmingham Comic Con earlier in the year dressed as Captain Toad alongside my girlfriend dressed as Peach in her New Donk outfit. He complimented our outfits and I gave him a hand made star, as all good Toads should with Mario.

Genuinely one of the best experiences of my life.

Still hard to believe he's a frenchman playing an italian-american plumber from a japanese video game. Very multicultural!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ah nice! He's a really nice guy right? I met him at Birmingham Comic Con earlier in the year dressed as Captain Toad alongside my girlfriend dressed as Peach in her New Donk outfit. He complimented our outfits and I gave him a hand made star, as all good Toads should with Mario.

Genuinely one of the best experiences of my life.

Still hard to believe he's a frenchman playing an italian-american plumber from a japanese video game. Very multicultural!
well im quite shy so i didnt talk much but he seemed nice and a friend of mine described him as very wholesome, it was brief but awesome definatly one of my top cons

i saw someone dressed as captain toad at this one funnily enough had the overwhelming urge to salute him

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, he didn't do too bad actually...

Gamefaqs poll

Toad got 26 votes, and Captain Toad got 33. Baring in mind there's a split between the two characters and Toad overall got 59 votes which puts him in joint 12th most wanted alongside Dixie and Bomberman. Not bad. Maybe we're not all shouting into the void after all.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, he didn't do too bad actually...

Gamefaqs poll

Toad got 26 votes, and Captain Toad got 33. Baring in mind there's a split between the two characters and Toad overall got 59 votes which puts him in joint 12th most wanted alongside Dixie and Bomberman. Not bad. Maybe we're not all shouting into the void after all.
i take it a certain pair of other mario characters fared better?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
i take it a certain pair of other mario characters fared better?
Geno and Waluigi did naturally with their dedicated fanbases, but tbf not by as much as Smashboards, general uproar and smash circles would lead you to believe.

The want for Toad appears to be growing at least and that's not a bad thing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Geno and Waluigi did naturally with their dedicated fanbases, but tbf not by as much as Smashboards, general uproar and smash circles would lead you to believe.

The want for Toad appears to be growing at least and that's not a bad thing.
increased popularity is what we need as smash inclusion seems to come down to how sakurai feels and popularity

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Hey all I had a quick question about Mario Kart tour. I'd ask elsewhere since it's not totally relevant here, but the game has been pervading conversation here and I don't really use any other forums. My question is about the gold pass. I'm decently far into the game without buying it because I didn't realize there was a free trial. If I got the pass now would I be able to go back to all the presents I've already opened and get the gold pass rewards from them? I have not been able to find this answer anywhere. I apologize for being off topic or if this has been asked before.

Also, I'm currently in the process of making 2 very distinct Smash movesets for E Gadd and I think afterwards I might do one for a Captain Toad and Toadette duo fighter or maybe just Toad and Toadette duo fighter. I think people often sell many characters short moveset-wise. People also get hung up on over representation, but I could easily make a list of 15 Mario characters I'd love to see in Smash and probably still have more after that list. Mario has so many great characters, side and one-off characters, and villains. I think I'm just going to stick to making some movesets for characters from the Mario universe for a little while because there are so many with great potential.

Once I'm done E Gadd's I will have completed movesets for 9 different characters many of whom have 2 sets each or some options and variations within 1 set. Out of those 9, 3 of them are Mario characters (Geno and Mallow being the 2 other than E Gadd). Other than Toad/Toadette duo I'm thinking about Fawful, King Boo, Waluigi, Koopa Troopa duo (with dry Bones alt and using fun stuff like nods to the RPGs and to hammer and boomerang Bros in some moves and paratroopa for recovery), and Kamek to name a few and not necessarily in that order.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hey all I had a quick question about Mario Kart tour. I'd ask elsewhere since it's not totally relevant here, but the game has been pervading conversation here and I don't really use any other forums. My question is about the gold pass. I'm decently far into the game without buying it because I didn't realize there was a free trial. If I got the pass now would I be able to go back to all the presents I've already opened and get the gold pass rewards from them? I have not been able to find this answer anywhere. I apologize for being off topic or if this has been asked before.
I didn't know so I did a little snooping: according to this article, you should be given a time limit to open those extra rewards.
Not sure what the deadline actually is unfortunately but if I was a betting man going by everything else with a time limit(challenges and the like) I assume it'll run out in 3 days having been available for two weeks similar to the trial.

Strong agree on the Mario cast being so full of Smash potential and movesets being downplayed. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your Toad Team Up. Make sure to come back and share it when you can!

Edit:

Small update on the Toad mod for Smash Legacy XP today.

It's very small, but the turnips are now much larger reflecting Toad's impressive power in SMB2 and bounce a little when hitting an opponent. [

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
anyone playing mario kart tour? have to say controls get some getting used too
Still playing daily, maxed Toad out(for now) and Toadette's right behind. The controls are...awful honestly. It's either no drift or only drift which is a difficult choice. Also it might just be me but there's characters I definitely cannot get good scores with even on favoured courses. Toad and Toadette always do well, but give me Baby Mario or Shy Guy and I mess up constantly...;;

Kinda dislike the lack of login bonuses which makes the rubies hard to obtain but I'm sure as hell not paying for the service for a game that's as awkward to control as this one is.

Luigi is still missing and that's very distracting to me. I can live without basically all the other missing characters but Luigi is too vital a character to not have been put in the launch of this game...;;

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Still playing daily, maxed Toad out(for now) and Toadette's right behind. The controls are...awful honestly. It's either no drift or only drift which is a difficult choice. Also it might just be me but there's characters I definitely cannot get good scores with even on favoured courses. Toad and Toadette always do well, but give me Baby Mario or Shy Guy and I mess up constantly...;;

Kinda dislike the lack of login bonuses which makes the rubies hard to obtain but I'm sure as hell not paying for the service for a game that's as awkward to control as this one is.

Luigi is still missing and that's very distracting to me. I can live without basically all the other missing characters but Luigi is too vital a character to not have been put in the launch of this game...;;
i think i have to agree with you on all points, they way its all set up makes it very difficult to proceed and i know that typical of micro transaction games but still in the others i play its been a bit easier to get stuff

im still missing toadette though

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
anyone playing mario kart tour? have to say controls get some getting used too
Playing daily. Usually, I don't have a problem with the controls but sometimes I default to trying to slide my finger instead of lifting it up and that messes me up sometimes so I agree that it could be better. I also wish there was a dedicated item button above and below so that it's not as hit or miss with whether or not items actually activate. It's nice that you can get a 2 week trial of gold pass so that you can get some rewards and stay f2p but yeah lots of stuff locked behind paywalls is the curse of this gacha game. I don't plan to spend a dime on this game and think it's fun for what it is. There is a lot of content despite the odd lacking stuff like Luigi being missing (maybe Luigi's Mansion 3 based event around Halloween? I really hope so so we can get Luigi, E Gadd, and King Boo).

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
Anyone wanna add me as a friend in Mario Kart Tour? I only have one friend and am trying to complete the one challenge lol. Here's my code: 1668 9359 5005

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm gonna guess we'll be seeing a lot of Luigi around Halloween. Thematically fits and of course the launch of Luigi's Mansion 3. Very well could do promotional content with Tour.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
sakurai's comment about characters being fun kind of fuelled the old pessimism
That is also something that is very subjective too. Heck, he was even able to make a typically immobile Mario enemy into a fully unique fighter (Piranha Plant). I think the comment was also a sort of foreshadowing about Geno (whom Sakurai is a big fan of).

Anyway, on the topic of Toad, I did recently complete Captain Toad (except for the final unlockable level and the DLC, I do not know when I will get around to doing them though). Its overall my second favorite game on the Switch, behind only Ultimate. It is a really charming and fun game that did much to endear Toad, and even Toadette, to me. Anyone that loves games should really play this title. Its on the Switch, Wii U, and even 3DS. On the last one, the 3DS port can be found for $20 brand new online right now, and I think most people here at least own one of those three consoles. Even at full price, Captain Toad is easily worth the price it normally goes for at retail ($40).

Any Super Mario fan, or fan of games in general should definitely check that game out, It is some of the most fun I had with a game during this whole decade. It really unique and has pick up and play gameplay, something that is a very good thing if you do not have much free time.

On a positive note pertaining to Toad, the trailer for the Toad Project M mod is now at roughly 2.5 million views. This is extremely impressive for a character mod to a game that is over a decade old now (Brawl) and to a popular mod of it (Project M) that got overshadowed once Smash 4 was released and especially so when Ultimate came out. At the very least it provides veritable proof to Smash Bros. fans that Toad is not generic and could be made into an unique character addition.

Things look dire sure, but lots of positive developments happened for Toad this year. He (along with Toadette) were playable characters in some of the highest selling Switch titles released this year, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Super Mario Maker 2. Captain Toad also received DLC this year. That is quite a lot, and something that fans of most other prospective newcomers wish their character of choice had.

It will be interesting to see what 2020 brings for Toad (whether it be just Toad, Captain Toad, or even Toadette). I do expect a Geno confirmation to happen (at some point during the post pass DLC), so I guess that will be one less Mario character out of the way in order for Smash fans to hopefully finally give focus to Toad.

In line with the Japanese title for Captain Toad, Onward Toad fans.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
sakurai's comment about characters being fun kind of fuelled the old pessimism
Like ChronoBound said, that’s subjective.

It’s frustrating that Sakurai still haven’t added Toad and Meowth. Is he implying they aren’t fun? Ugh... that’s why I started supporting Captain Toad (and Toadette as Echo Fighter) and Team Rocket (Meowth teamed with Ekans and Koffing) since they would have more fun stuff to work with.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Like ChronoBound said, that’s subjective.

It’s frustrating that Sakurai still haven’t added Toad and Meowth. Is he implying they aren’t fun? Ugh... that’s why I started supporting Captain Toad (and Toadette as Echo Fighter) and Team Rocket (Meowth teamed with Ekans and Koffing) since they would have more fun stuff to work with.
it is one of those glass half full/empty things, but as we have no way of telling what sakurai thinks is fun we're not really in any better position. whats fun is subjective sakurai made it pretty clear that he thinks terry is the most fun thing ever but i found him the most boring, his stage, his moves, his music, it was all so dull but sakurai couldnt stop going on about how great it all was.

the statement does imply that characters hes looked over and decided against were "boring" in his eyes even though to many of us they could have been lodes of fun

That is also something that is very subjective too. Heck, he was even able to make a typically immobile Mario enemy into a fully unique fighter (Piranha Plant). I think the comment was also a sort of foreshadowing about Geno (whom Sakurai is a big fan of).
thatd be a case of another character id find so boring

Last edited:

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I've decided this thread would be a perfect place to host the Toad Music Channel.

Enjoy two different renditions of Bohemian Rhapsody, sung by the voice of an angel. Brings me to tears. :crying::crying::crying::crying:

Oh God, please stop. I love Toad, but this is like a Solar Flare for the hears!

(Kidding, you continue if you want, of course.)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
If we get one Nintendo character in this pass like we did with Byleth, then Toad is my pick.
Toadette is a mandatory Echo.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Oh, so I know I was asked a while back how to install that Toad mod but I'm not the most tech savvy guy.

Luckily King Bob, the man who made the Toad mod in the first place released a handy guide yesterday to aid us with installing Toad V.2!

Top Bottom