• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
A listers are mostly protagonists, and characters that have extremely successful games. Toad doesn't fit these categories at all
*Points at Captain Toad Treasure Tracker once again*
This game was critically acclaimed and was deemed worth getting ported twice to Nintendo's current consoles and given two sets of DLC even five years after it's initial release.

I know vgchartz isn't the most accurate sales info but according to it's last update between the Wii U and Switch versions the game has two million, five hundred and thirty thousand physical copies sold.

Still waiting on the figures for DLC sales, 3DS(which was the worse selling of the three versions) and virtual copy sales but that Captain Toad has easily breeched that lauded million copy selling milestone with only Toad and Toadette's adorable faces pushing the product makes me think you're selling their appeal a little short.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A listers are mostly protagonists, and characters that have extremely successful games. Toad doesn't fit these categories at all
So Toad, Peach, Bowser, and all other co-protagonist, and antagonist Nintendo characters ain't Nintendo All Stars? That doesn't make any sense. By your logical, you sound like nobody but protagonist characters are video game All Stars.

The cast plays just as much of a role as the protagonist making a franchise or game successful.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well that's a strange definition. For most people, that isn't the case. Otherwise you'd be excluding some pretty blatant A-listers (Bowser, Zelda, Pikachu, etc).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so that leaves out a large percentage of the roster, most of the mario characters, all the pokemon, half the zelda characters 2 out 3 of the kirby gang and the dk crew

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

It's been revealed for a while but I just realised that the Toads are playable in the new Mario and Sonic at the Olympics game. Again, as a collective rather than an individual.

It's not the first time a Toad has been playable in Mario and Sonic, as the Toad has been a guest character for the relay game in the Wii U version of the 2016 Rio Olympics, but it remains to be seen if he or his kin will be playable outside the 2D relay and volleyball events.

Also there's this adorable render of Toad for the game for you to enjoy:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mario Kart Tour has introduced a few things I found absolutely fascinating. Apart from bringing back the Double Dash character exclusive items(although Toad and Toadette's are now triple shrooms rather than golden) it's also introduced costumes...

...could we be looking at Captain Toad's Mario Kart debut?

Oh, and speaking of... apparently Toad and Toadette are the default characters you start as and you must unlock everyone else including Mario. I'm surprised but pleased. More starring roles are always welcome for our Mushroom Kingdom underdogs.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Mario Kart Tour has introduced a few things I found absolutely fascinating. Apart from bringing back the Double Dash character exclusive items(although Toad and Toadette's are now triple shrooms rather than golden) it's also introduced costumes...

...could we be looking at Captain Toad's Mario Kart debut?

Oh, and speaking of... apparently Toad and Toadette are the default characters you start as and you must unlock everyone else including Mario. I'm surprised but pleased. More starring roles are always welcome for our Mushroom Kingdom underdogs.
ooh we start off with the two ill be playing as the most, i do hope we get plenty of potential costumes for toad and toadette

i think its worth noting that both of them are the same level of "rareness" as the usual mario multiplayer gang thus showing that nintendo still think of them as on the same level as the main cast

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
So the current Mario Kart Tour Roster is,
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Rosalina
Koopalings
Dry Bones
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Wario
Waluigi
Daisy
Yoshi
Toad
Toadette
Metal Mario
Dry Bowser
Rosalina
King Boo
Diddy Kong
Lakitu
Bowser Jr.
Peachette (Unknown if character or costume)
Pauline

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So the current Mario Kart Tour Roster is,
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Rosalina
Koopalings
Dry Bones
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Wario
Waluigi
Daisy
Yoshi
Toad
Toadette
Metal Mario
Dry Bowser
Rosalina
King Boo
Diddy Kong
Lakitu
Bowser Jr.
Peachette (Unknown if character or costume)
Pauline
Nice. Pauline got announced then! Roster is looking pretty good. It'd be nice if we got a few other surprise characters like Wart(who just made his first 3D appearance the other day), Nabbit, Dixie Kong and Cappy but not a deal breaker now I know we have the main Mario cast at least.

Slight Toad update for you all on Mario and Sonic at the Olympics; roster was leaked...Toadette is playable! But Toad...isn't.
I'm not sure what to think of that honestly. Seems a bit like having Waluigi in a game without Wario. Just...wrong.

Any Toad based appearence predictions for tomorrow's Direct? Maybe a SMB2 mode for Mario Maker or just more Luigi's Mansion antics?

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Nice. Pauline got announced then! Roster is looking pretty good. It'd be nice if we got a few other surprise characters like Wart(who just made his first 3D appearance the other day), Nabbit, Dixie Kong and Cappy but not a deal breaker now I know we have the main Mario cast at least.

Slight Toad update for you all on Mario and Sonic at the Olympics; roster was leaked...Toadette is playable! But Toad...isn't.
I'm not sure what to think of that honestly. Seems a bit like having Waluigi in a game without Wario. Just...wrong.

Any Toad based appearence predictions for tomorrow's Direct? Maybe a SMB2 mode for Mario Maker or just more Luigi's Mansion antics?
Pauline was leaked awhile back by promo images, which have since been removed.
Also apparently the nintendo directs main focus is on Luigi's Mansion 3 and Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well i may not be into the olympics but im always happy to see toadette playable

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Remember back when I posted my toad moveset idea. I'm still having trouble thinking up moves for Toad. I still want to give him Mario's neutral and up sepcial moves to make him a pseudo clone of Mario, but I can't think of anything else besides that.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Remember back when I posted my toad moveset idea. I'm still having trouble thinking up moves for Toad. I still want to give him Mario's neutral and up sepcial moves to make him a pseudo clone of Mario, but I can't think of anything else besides that.
just look up a list of games toad has been playable in and check the various power ups

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
In the Smash 4 speculation cycle, my second most wanted newcomer was Pac-Man. He got in.
In the Smash 4 DLC and Smash Ultimate speculation cycle, my second most wanted newcomer was Banjo and Kazooie. They got in.

So now I'm thinking that the key to getting Toad in smash is for me to find a character I want more than him, putting him in the number 2 slot.
Unfortunately, the odds of that happening aren't looking good at the moment.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In the Smash 4 speculation cycle, my second most wanted newcomer was Pac-Man. He got in.
In the Smash 4 DLC and Smash Ultimate speculation cycle, my second most wanted newcomer was Banjo and Kazooie. They got in.

So now I'm thinking that the key to getting Toad in smash is for me to find a character I want more than him, putting him in the number 2 slot.
Unfortunately, the odds of that happening aren't looking good at the moment.
that happened to me as well, my second most wanted newcomers at the time got in, villager and inklings

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Weirdly mine has always been characters I've had a passing interest in; Inklings, Chrom and Isabelle being Ultimate's offerings, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt and Robin being Sm4sh's offerings.

I haven't had any of my top three biggest wants any game to date...;; Throw me a goddamn bone Sakurai, my tastes aren't even super obscure!

After seeing how good Sans' Mii outfit is I also kinda wish they'd at least done heads of the characters for the Mii costumes to soften the blow.

On the flip side literally anyone and everyone is back on the table so who the heck knows. Maybe we'll get some more Nintendo fighters?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Alright so! Pushdustin seems to think that the translation for the whole "New Worlds" section was Sakurai commenting on how it was incredible they could open whole new worlds by adding a single character rather than "Yo the next batch of characters? Also all third party or from new Nintendo IPs"

Rumour is ten additional characters. Pick your poison! Who would you choose?

For me personally I'm currently here:

All Nintendo:

Captain Toad/Toad with Toadette alt
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Impa
Meowth
Akira Howard(Astral Chain)
Chibi Robo
Isaac(Golden Sun)
Waluigi
Vaati(Zelda)

All Third Party:
Chris Redfield(or Jill Valentine)
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Heavy(Team Fortress 2)
Lara Croft
Tails
Rayman
Chun-Li
Gordan Freeman (Half Life)
Conker

Personal ideal mix:
Captain Toad/Toad with Toadette alt
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Meowth
Impa or Vaati
Waluigi
Chris Redfield
Crash
Spyro
Heavy

This is going to be quite long, so apologies, but I have so many ideas for Toad it's kinda nuts:

Since we're discussing Classic Toad, he's known for a few things; the items guy and the speedy one. Maybe build your new Toad moveset around his speed?

He's known for being a grappler in SMB2 and Wario's Woods, heaving enemies much larger than him over his head and running with them without slowing down at all. I'd personally give him the ability to pick up an enemy and run with them similar to Donkey Kong to represent this. You could combine this with speedy use of power ups in a similar vein to Piranha Plant changing it's look for certain attacks.

Some examples:
Side B to transform into Cat Toad and launch yourself forwards, slashing with your cat paws as you do so.
Down B to transform into Builder Toad and pluck up a building block that you can run with to stop opponents movements(or to just give Toad an additional projectile)

or Side B to transform into Builder Toad and run forwards with a hammer/pickaxe(as a reference to Captain Toad's Super Pickaxe item)
Down B to transform into Tanooki Toad and slam down into the ground as a Tanooki statue.

or Side B to transform into Penguin Toad and do a sliding tackle into the enemy, knocking enemies flying
Down B to place a Spiny shell atop your head, allowing you to negate attacks from above for one hit.

or go full Mario Psuedo clone and have:
Side B to transform into Cape Toad(Mario Maker 2 gives him this ability). This move works differently from Mario's in that Toad spins forward wearing the cape. The attack can deflect projectiles(same as Mario) but it doesn't flip opponents around, instead dealing damage.
Down B to spew spores. Works like FLUDD with less of a pushback but deals damage.

Sakurai seems to think Toad is suited to a grappler style too between his new found use in Peach/Daisy's moveset, his Mii fighter being a Brawler and his Spirit Battle being all about grappling.

Alternatively Toad is also known for being one of a large species. Perhaps the ability to summon other Toads to aid you in battle could be interesting be it either Toad Brigade members or the Double Cherry item that he uses in Super Mario 3D World AND Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

Lastly Toad has had his own games in which he kicks bombs across the floor, throws turnips, rides minecarts, destroys blocks and enemies with pickaxes and even runs up walls like gravity doesn't matter to him. There's plenty of fun stuff you can do, you just need to know what you want the focus to be for him.

One good thing about Toad is he has several interesting avenues to go for: Do you go for power up Toad? Speedy rush down Toad? Do you focus entirely on mushroom abilities like mega mushroom giving him power, mini giving him speed, propeller mushrooms giving him great recovery and throwing poison mushrooms at enemies? Do you perhaps focus on the fact Toad is part of a plentiful race and is known for it? Do you use him as the Mario Kart rep and focus on the power ups and speed from that ala Captain Falcon or Fox? Do you use his role as Mario Party's host to give him a RNG filled madness moveset? So many options, so little time!

I hope that helps you at least a little!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
narrowing down to 10, hmm well: toad/toadette obviously, chibi-robo, bandana waddle dee, rex, the main character from astral chain, sora, nate with jibanyan and whisper, impa, layton, phoenix wright

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'll restrict myself to characters that would be both worthy inclusions AND highly marketable as DLC. So characters I would really like to include, but aren't as popular or well known, like Tingle, Mallo, Karate Joe, Starfy, and Daitoryo, aren't going to be on the list. I also am not including Impa, though she is marketable, because I'd like to see her replace Sheik in a future smash game.

All Nintendo:
Toad
Waluigi
Dixie Kong
Bandanna Dee
Dark Matter (I'm considering him/it marketable on account of the moveset I came up with, which I think would be very aesthetically unique and cool looking)
Ray (Custom Robo)
Andy or Sami (Advance Wars)
Chibi-Robo
Excitebiker
Isaac (Golden Sun)

All 3rd Party:
Doom Marine
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman
Steve?!
Lara Croft
Scorpion
Heihachi Mishima
Master Chief
The Heavy (TF2)
Gordon Freeman

Mixed:
Toad
Waluigi
Bandanna Dee
Andy or Sami
Excitebiker
Doom Marine
Steve?!
Crash Bandicoot
Scorpion
Lara Croft

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I haven't had any of my top three biggest wants any game to date...;; Throw me a goddamn bone Sakurai, my tastes aren't even super obscure!
Dixie Kong. Mii hat.
Toad. Mii costume.
Captain Toad. Stage cameo.
Meowth. Poké Ball.
Team Rocket. Mii costume.

Sigh.

They are far from being super obscure... and yet despite being some of the more famous Nintendo characters, they are still not playable.

And yet my Smash Ultimate hype is sustained by other newcomers I wanted or had a passing interest in...

Want
- Simon Belmont
- Hero (Erdrick and Eight)
- Banjo & Kazooie
- Terry Bogard

Passing interest
- Inkling
- Daisy
- Richter Belmont
- Chrom
- King K. Rool
- Isabelle
- Ken

But none of them made me feel contented with Smash Ultimate the same way Duck Hunt Dog did for Smash 4.

For Smash 4, my hype was sustained by the following...

Want
- Mega Man
- Little Mac
- Pac-Man

Passing interest
- Villager
- Mii Fighters
- Palutena
- Ryu

I was contented with Smash 4 when I finally got a character I really wanted but I thought would never happen... Duck Hunt... and I was contented with the rest of the newcomers that I didn’t care who else got in Smash 4.

But with the Smash Ultimate newcomers, I’m hyped with several characters I wanted finally getting in but none of them could make me contented the same way Duck Hunt Dog did in Smash 4... that’s Toad, Meowth, and Dixie Kong to me.

So... as long as I don’t get at least one newcomer that would make me contented with the Smash Ultimate newcomers, I am going to continue caring about who gets in.

And that’s why I wanted Simon, Hero, Banjo, and Terry. To compensate for not getting Toad or Meowth or Dixie Kong.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Remove Captain Toad from the background, make him playable.

This is what makes him too simple to add. Nothing really stops him at this point.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
thats the kind of thinking i like to see
I know what you're talking about. King dedede is both a background element and a playable character, so if King dedede is present on the match on the Dream Land 64 stage. King dedede will disssappear from the background.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know what you're talking about. King dedede is both a background element and a playable character, so if King dedede is present on the match on the Dream Land 64 stage. King dedede will disssappear from the background.
well in ultimate at least, he can appear at the same time on the 3ds

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know something? Despite the Captain being such a big factor in the main series games, he's not appearing in the spinoffs.

This annoys me; I wish Captain appeared in the spinoffs.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You know something? Despite the Captain being such a big factor in the main series games, he's not appearing in the spinoffs.

This annoys me; I wish Captain appeared in the spinoffs.
Seems like he's be perfect for Mario Kart Tour. Even comes with his very own (Mine)Kart.

You're not the only one who's noticed this though. Personally I want to see him making some appearances in Mario Tennis, Party(allowing classic Toad to stay as host, or the two swap and Captain becomes host so classic becomes playable) and the hopeful eventual "Mushroom Kingdom Warriors" musou game :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
oh good its not just me who wants it
No word of a lie, that would be my most played game ever.

Using Hyrule Warriors for a rough guesstimate on numbers, here's my choice of 29 characters:
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Toad
  5. Toadette
  6. Captain Toad
  7. Yoshi
  8. Daisy
  9. Rosalina
  10. Pauline
  11. E. Gadd
  12. Baby Mario & Luigi(two for one)
  13. Bowser
  14. Bowser Jr
  15. Kamek
  16. Wario
  17. Waluigi
  18. Nabbit
  19. King Boo
  20. Tatanga
  21. Wart
  22. Birdo
  23. Petey Piranha
  24. Donkey Kong
  25. Diddy Kong
  26. Dixie Kong
  27. K. Rool
  28. Fawful
  29. Paper Mario
Army choices would be:
  • Toad(blue, yellow and green to avoid confusion with classic Toad)
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Shy Guy
  • Goomba
  • Boo
  • Dry Bones
  • Luma
  • Kremlings
  • Paper Toad

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Using Hyrule Warriors for a rough guesstimate on numbers, here's my choice of 29 characters:
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Toad
  5. Toadette
  6. Captain Toad
  7. Yoshi
  8. Daisy
  9. Rosalina
  10. Pauline
  11. E. Gadd
  13. Bowser
  14. Bowser Jr
  15. Kamek
  16. Wario
  17. Waluigi
  18. Nabbit
  19. King Boo
  20. Tatanga
  21. Wart
  22. Birdo
  23. Petey Piranha
  24. Donkey Kong
  25. Diddy Kong
  26. Dixie Kong
  27. K. Rool
  28. Fawful
  29. Paper Mario
Army choices would be:
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Shy Guy
  • Goomba
  • Boo
  • Dry Bones
  • Luma
  • Kremlings
  • Paper Toad
ooh now this is a game im all for playing, my roster

1: mario
2: luigi
3: peach
4: bowser
5: toad
6: toadette
7: rosalina
8: wario
9: captain toad
10: toadsworth
11: e.gadd
12: king boo
13: bowser jr
14: donkey
15: diddy
16: dixie
17: cranky
18: k.rool
19: yoshi
20: pauline
21: cappy
22: fawful
23: gooigi
24: princess shroob
25: gooper blooper
26: petey piranha
27: antasma
28: king bob omb
29: lubba

hmm needs more toads and shy guys

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
ooh now this is a game im all for playing, my roster

1: mario
2: luigi
3: peach
4: bowser
5: toad
6: toadette
7: rosalina
8: wario
9: captain toad
10: toadsworth
11: e.gadd
12: king boo
13: bowser jr
14: donkey
15: diddy
16: dixie
17: cranky
18: k.rool
19: yoshi
20: pauline
21: cappy
22: fawful
23: gooigi
24: princess shroob
25: gooper blooper
26: petey piranha
27: antasma
28: king bob omb
29: lubba

hmm needs more toads and shy guys
oooh! King Bob-omb is actually a big favourite of mine. I should have added him on.

How do you envision Cappy working in a Warriors style game? Assuming his attacks are based around capturing other enemies?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
oooh! King Bob-omb is actually a big favourite of mine. I should have added him on.

How do you envision Cappy working in a Warriors style game? Assuming his attacks are based around capturing other enemies?
no harm in changing it if you want, everyones smash rosters must have changed a million times here

id imagine cappy would transform in various things you capture in odyssey

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Toad
  5. Toadette
  6. Captain Toad
  7. Yoshi
  8. Daisy
  9. Rosalina
  10. Pauline
  11. E. Gadd
  13. Bowser
  14. Bowser Jr
  15. Kamek
  16. Wario
  17. Waluigi
  18. Nabbit
  19. King Boo
  20. Tatanga
  21. Wart
  22. Birdo
  23. Petey Piranha
  24. Donkey Kong
  25. Diddy Kong
  26. Dixie Kong
  27. K. Rool
  28. Fawful
  29. Paper Mario
Army choices would be:
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Shy Guy
  • Goomba
  • Boo
  • Dry Bones
  • Luma
  • Kremlings
  • Paper Toad
Hmmm. Lemme take a shot at it.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Koopalings
Rosalina
Dry Bowser
Metal Mario
Yoshi
Toad
Toadette
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Waluigi
Goomba
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Dry Bones
Piranha Plant
Pauline
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Rosalina
Monty Mole
Koopa Paratroopa
Fly Guy
Boo
King Boo
Birdo
Boom Boom
Pom Pom
Kamek
Dixie Kong
Wiggler
Chain Chomp
Petey Piranha
Ninjii
Spike
Nabbit
Captain Toad
Luma
Parabones
Pianta
Sprixie Princess
Hammer Bro.
Lakitu
Blooper

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmmm. Lemme take a shot at it.
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Koopalings
Rosalina
Dry Bowser
Metal Mario
Yoshi
Toad
Toadette
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Wario
Waluigi
Goomba
Koopa Troopa
Shy Guy
Dry Bones
Piranha Plant
Pauline
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Baby Daisy
Baby Rosalina
Monty Mole
Koopa Paratroopa
Fly Guy
Boo
King Boo
Birdo
Boom Boom
Pom Pom
Kamek
Dixie Kong
Wiggler
Chain Chomp
Petey Piranha
Ninjii
Spike
Nabbit
Captain Toad
Luma
Parabones
Pianta
Sprixie Princess
Hammer Bro.
Lakitu
Blooper
not a bad line up

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mario Kart Tour just released an advert and it's filled to the brim with amusing Toad action!

[\spoiler]

How can you look at this and tell me Toad and his kin aren't a ton of fun?

Top Bottom