• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ah, thanks. I'm glad that idea isn't as out of right field as I thought it would be. I've thought a lot about a moveset for Toad or Captain Toad, and I actually really like this idea for a final smash.
It's certainly a creative idea, not something I'd expect from Sakurai, but the idea of a Mario Party minigame as a Final Smash is really good and it works with Toad's current role in the series.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Something completely off the walls for an idea, but lately I've realize that Toad's kinda gone back to his roots with hosting Super Mario Party in the Mario Party series...

So what if Toad's final smash was, well, hosting a Mario Party. I see it as a cinematic where Toad drops down next to a roulette, watches it, before it finally stops on a minigame for the caught foes to play, and Toad celebrates. The foe is then seen being damaged over and over in the minigame, as let's be honest, Mario Party is pretty dangerous. If I had to pick a minigame, I'd go with:
View attachment 230416
Hot Rope Jump just makes a lot of sense. I could see the opponent failing to jump the lava bubble/podoboo (does anyone still call them that) over and over, before being launched when the final smash ends. In an ideal world though, the minigame selected would always be random out of a list of maybe 3.

Thoughts?
thatd be pretty cool, there isnt an awful lot of mario party stuff in smash and this would be a not bad way of including more

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
One idea I thought could be kinda neat is based on Toadette's role in Paper Jam.

She was the one that designed the giant Papercraft mechs that were carried about by an army of Toads. While they never made a Toad Papercraft, having a giant paper Toad mech carried in by a mob of Toads could make for a good Final Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
making a distinct moveset wouldnt be the problem and seeing as its seemingly due him have nothing that he and only he can do comes across as a bit unfair when rosalina got in with out such things and jr got in with out using his unique stuff

but thats best for our main toad thread
Rosalina had the Lumas. That made her stand out quite separately from the rest of the cast.

So it's really not unfair to expect him to be held to the scrutiny of other characters. "Something they and only they can do" is a real criteria Sakurai uses. Clones and semi-clones are far less held to this, but unique characters always have been held to this. It was actually extremely rare that we got two characters based upon each other with Simon and Richter, and one was still an Echo, so it was effectively one unique character with the other having far less work.

So if Toad can find someone to borrow abilities from(and still have a bodyframe that works for him), he's far more plausible to add, via a semi-clone situation. That's right now his best chance due to lacking a distinct ability in the series. It is funny that PP alone has a great number of poison abilities he could potentially use, along with some power-ups. He could still be made uniquely akin to how Ness was(who used Mario as a base). Speaking of, Ness or Lucas might work as a decent base for the character, having a particular similar bodyframe.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Rosalina had the Lumas. That made her stand out quite separately from the rest of the cast.

So it's really not unfair to expect him to be held to the scrutiny of other characters. "Something they and only they can do" is a real criteria Sakurai uses. Clones and semi-clones are far less held to this, but unique characters always have been held to this. It was actually extremely rare that we got two characters based upon each other with Simon and Richter, and one was still an Echo, so it was effectively one unique character with the other having far less work.

So if Toad can find someone to borrow abilities from(and still have a bodyframe that works for him), he's far more plausible to add, via a semi-clone situation. That's right now his best chance due to lacking a distinct ability in the series. It is funny that PP alone has a great number of poison abilities he could potentially use, along with some power-ups. He could still be made uniquely akin to how Ness was(who used Mario as a base). Speaking of, Ness or Lucas might work as a decent base for the character, having a particular similar bodyframe.
well yes rosalina using the luma helped her stand out but the way shes uses the lumas is unique to smash, so its more of a new spin on a pre existing thing.......... i think im over thinking this

still the whole unique thing to the character is in the long run a bit of a shame as it may be the thing the keeps the last of nintendo's all stars from appearing in what, started off as, a nintendo all star cross over

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
well yes rosalina using the luma helped her stand out but the way shes uses the lumas is unique to smash, so its more of a new spin on a pre existing thing.......... i think im over thinking this

still the whole unique thing to the character is in the long run a bit of a shame as it may be the thing the keeps the last of nintendo's all stars from appearing in what, started off as, a nintendo all star cross over
Oh, I agree it's a shame. But there's little other reason Toad hasn't been playable yet. The "species" argument never was a good one(and I used to use that a long time ago, which is why I'm bringing it up) as Pikachu existed. And that's what Toad is, a specific character, not just a race. PP further kills that argument.

Best I can think of is really not having a stand out ability(other than the Guard thing, respectively). Maybe there's something else, but at least the theory is based upon Sakurai's statements specifically. I absolutely hope he gets in someday. I also don't think he needs to be distinct at all to get in, but I can understand why it's being done that way. I hope the ideas I showed in here could help too~

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh, I agree it's a shame. But there's little other reason Toad hasn't been playable yet. The "species" argument never was a good one(and I used to use that a long time ago, which is why I'm bringing it up) as Pikachu existed. And that's what Toad is, a specific character, not just a race. PP further kills that argument.

Best I can think of is really not having a stand out ability(other than the Guard thing, respectively). Maybe there's something else, but at least the theory is based upon Sakurai's statements specifically. I absolutely hope he gets in someday. I also don't think he needs to be distinct at all to get in, but I can understand why it's being done that way. I hope the ideas I showed in here could help too~
thats all we toad fans can do, hope

maybe ask politely for another captain toad game

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
thats all we toad fans can do, hope

maybe ask politely for another captain toad game
I'd love a Wario's Woods sequel with everybody having unique abilities.

Likewise, why not just make a spin-off platformer, where Toad has to save Mario(cause that's clearly how each spin-off Mario game goes... and I'm being half-sarcastic here).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Likewise, why not just make a spin-off platformer, where Toad has to save Mario(cause that's clearly how each spin-off Mario game goes... and I'm being half-sarcastic here).
well both luigi and peach did it so why not

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
well both luigi and peach did it so why not
Exactly why I say so.

Mind you, Luigi's Mansion went a very different direction compared to Mario Is Missing, the first spin-off which at least was partially a platformer. Though did any Luigi's Mansion game add platforming elements? I haven't played Dark Moon yet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Exactly why I say so.

Mind you, Luigi's Mansion went a very different direction compared to Mario Is Missing, the first spin-off which at least was partially a platformer. Though did any Luigi's Mansion game add platforming elements? I haven't played Dark Moon yet.
not as such, there was some balancing moments but it was mostly action/puzzle

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A Toad is friend with a Boo? Where, exactly?
on a social media thing called line their mascot kinopio-kun is often show with a boo bff

well i cant the images to work someone help me out if you wont mind

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Well, I searched "kinopio-kun boo" on Google and this popped up:

There are some Kinopio-kun themed calendars that feature the duo in different seasons. I also found this:

Sakurai is going to put Kinopio-kun as the next Kirby rep.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, I searched "kinopio-kun boo" on Google and this popped up:

There are some Kinopio-kun themed calendars that feature the duo in different seasons. I also found this:

Sakurai is going to put Kinopio-kun as the next Kirby rep.
thats the very man himself, theres a lot of images of him promoting games, him in botw looking over the landscape in place of link, him and cap as posted on a previous page, him as a rabbid, him in pokemon quest style, him with a pokeball plus

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I’ve got it! A Toad game that’s like Minecraft and Dragon Quest Builders. I call it “Captain Toad: Mushroom Builder”.

Just imagine... Captain Toad (male player choice) and Toadette (female player choice) rebuilding the Mushroom Kingdom, block by block, and rescuing Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi from Bowser.

Toads would be lifting and carrying blocks and other things and using their pickaxes to defeat enemies and mine for building materials.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’ve got it! A Toad game that’s like Minecraft and Dragon Quest Builders. I call it “Captain Toad: Mushroom Builder”.

Just imagine... Captain Toad (male player choice) and Toadette (female player choice) rebuilding the Mushroom Kingdom, block by block, and rescuing Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Yoshi from Bowser.

Toads would be lifting and carrying blocks and other things and using their pickaxes to defeat enemies and mine for building materials.
not for me

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman

I like this idea, but I would prefer if they were just exploring the world, an adventure for treasures and discovery. The "you have to rescue Mario and co." is so overused.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I like this idea, but I would prefer if they were just exploring the world, an adventure for treasures and discovery. The "you have to rescue Mario and co." is so overused.
Captain Toad and Toadette should be exploring the world and searching for treasures for the heck of it?

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Captain Toad and Toadette should be exploring the world and searching for treasures for the heck of it?
Its's closer to the Minecraft "plot"that way. If it needs a story, maybe they are on a mission by Princess Peach or something.
It's just I do not like the idea of always having someone in need of rescue.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I quite like this! A combination of Mario Maker's story mode and Treasure Tracker then?

I don't neccesarily need Captain Toad or Toadette to save Mario and friends, but I do quite like the idea of having it start with a huge brawl with Mario Vs. Bowser and the Mushroom Kingdom getting totally busted up as a result.

Peach looks on in dismay as it's revealed due to Bowser's attacks becoming more and more frequent the Mushroom Kingdom is...kind of broke.

Mario and Luigi are both out of commission as a result of their last battle, so the task of tracking down treasure falls to Captain Toad, Toadette and the rest of the Toad Brigade to explore new worlds and find resources, treasure and other things to help rebuild the entire kingdom.

Peach, alongside Toadsworth(yep let's bring him out of retirement) act as your 'Taskmasters' putting in requests and missions, and with each treasure you gain a little more of the Kingdom is restored whilst multiple Toad builders reconstruct and even make improvements around the Hub world.

Along the way Captain Toad and Toadette can 'recruit' other builders from other worlds outside the Toads to aid with the reconstruction by completing mini missions which will aid in construction speed of certain objects. Said other builders, in an ideal world, would be some of the weird and wacky bosses from Wario's Woods as a neat call back:

Enemy_Aqualea_Win.gif
Enemy_Katsini_Win.gif
Enemy_Sarissa_Win.gif
(although these guys are all from the Western exclusive SNES version, I guess this would be their Japanese debut)

Not Wario though. I want him and Nabbit to be bosses who are sitting on a vast wealth of stolen treasure from the Kingdom and it's upto the Toads to reclaim it for the Kingdom!

Ah, lots of ideas to throw about!

Last edited:

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I totally support this. A lot of people complain about how much representation Mario gets in Smash but Mario has a lot of characters that are iconic and would be fun in Smash. I wouldn't be bothered if we got Geno, King Boo, Captain Toad or Toad, Koopa (especially with a Dry Bones skin), Waluigi, and other Mario characters. Although, I'm unashamedly the most vested in Geno making it in.

Z3LDAMAST3R

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5129-6859-6424
Can't forget toadette tho

They might have to change peach/daisies moveset

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I tell you if Toadette, who has become as big a character as Toad/Captain Toad himself isn't an alt if he ever gets in, something has gone horrifically wrong.

Whilst seen as a negative, one of the interesting things about Toad is Peach and Daisy could theoretically keep their personal Toads. If Robin can summon Chrom to come and fight Chrom or Duck Hunt can stand on Duck Hunt's head on the Duck Hunt stage, seeing multiple Toads really isn't that weird of a deal considering half the time Nintendo treats them as a race rather than an individual.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Maybe it could be like ice climbers and have multiple toads acting as 1
Actually this was an idea I was considering.

We have the Ice Climbers way with Toad and Toadette working as a pair, which they do a lot of recent between Mario Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

We also have the Duck Hunt esque way which I also wouldn't be against; summoning more Toads to help fight alongside you. They've even done multi Toad attacks in Mario and Luigi Paper Jam so it does have some sort of canonicity.

But imagine summon more Toads shoot you up into the air, a pair of Toads to hold the opponent as you wail on them, or even forming into a giant Toad as a potential Final Smash.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I totally support this. A lot of people complain about how much representation Mario gets in Smash but Mario has a lot of characters that are iconic and would be fun in Smash. I wouldn't be bothered if we got Geno, King Boo, Captain Toad or Toad, Koopa (especially with a Dry Bones skin), Waluigi, and other Mario characters. Although, I'm unashamedly the most vested in Geno making it in.

you two want on the supporters list?

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Actually this was an idea I was considering.

We have the Ice Climbers way with Toad and Toadette working as a pair, which they do a lot of recent between Mario Maker 2, New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

We also have the Duck Hunt esque way which I also wouldn't be against; summoning more Toads to help fight alongside you. They've even done multi Toad attacks in Mario and Luigi Paper Jam so it does have some sort of canonicity.

But imagine summon more Toads shoot you up into the air, a pair of Toads to hold the opponent as you wail on them, or even forming into a giant Toad as a potential Final Smash.
Y'know, the :ulticeclimbers:-style duo was an idea I thought about back in the Smash 4 days. I kinda ran with it early on, even did a little pic with the trophies in photo/paint studio (I wish this had came back...).
Even now, I'd personally take it with arms as wide as Lanky Kong's (especially with Toadette reaching star status these days.)

A testament to the various ways a playable Toad can be realized if one were to actually go beyond the surface.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So guess which game is next to get a labo be update, that’s right wario’s woods

Only joking but it is coming to captain toad treasure tracker

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I made this Toad moveset video.
Absolutely adore this. You've put a lot of effort into it with all the references and the carrying and stacking gameplay mecahnic with no slow down is a great shout out to not only SMB2 but also Wario's Woods.

Your Toad moveset sounds hella fun and if we ever get anything half as competently put together as this in Smash Bros. games going forward I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

My only one little nitpick would probably be to just keep the backpack on the Captain alt but don't have it have any gameplay mechanics. Seeing the Captain without his backpack felt a little wrong, but if that's the ONE issue that stood out to me as a hardcore Toad fanatic then that really does speak wonders of this moveset. Great work!

So guess which game is next to get a labo be update, that’s right wario’s woods

Only joking but it is coming to captain toad treasure tracker

Here's the video for everyone to enjoy. Never used Labo before myself; what sort of things change outside the nifty 3D world HUD?

It's crazy to think this 2014 game is still getting love and updates from Nintendo.
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are the only other games I can think of that had any kind of VR mode and for this adorable puzzle game to be treated as an equal to these juggernauts even in some small way is really quite something.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Here's the video for everyone to enjoy. Never used Labo before myself; what sort of things change outside the nifty 3D world HUD?

It's crazy to think this 2014 game is still getting love and updates from Nintendo.
Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild are the only other games I can think of that had any kind of VR mode and for this adorable puzzle game to be treated as an equal to these juggernauts even in some small way is really quite something.
hadnt even thought of that, being the fourth switch game to get it after three massive ones is something, at least we know nintendo loves toad as much as we do

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, I've just tried out the Labo X Captain Toad addition and here's my first impressions. Contains huge spoilers on the entire thing:

The HUD is really nice and it's enjoyable to look around with Toadette riding the minecart as Captain Toad waits by his tent and base camp waving excitedly at you as you look down on him. He also waves at Toadette as she zips past on the minecart. Bullet Bills fly overhead as Shy Guys patrol a far off island and Kamek throws magic blasts with poor aim at the minecart riding Toadette.

As you complete each stage, a member of the Toad Brigade will come to join the Captain at base camp. That's kinda neat. It's a shame you can't interact more with the HUD like for example firing turnips at the surrounding enemies. Captain Toad and Green Toad both seem to look up at you when you look at them which is neat but Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are less interactive.

There's unfortunately only four levels though so this is a rather mini experience and even worse; they're not new levels.

The first is the opening/tutorial level: The Treasure at the Mushroom Ruins which has added Super Gems for Captain to collect and removed Toadette and Wingo from the opening. The Golden Mushroom is also there but it's not a secret clear condition as there aren't any for this mode.

The second is Walleye Tumble Temple, which I believe is the third level of the main game. Nothing really changes, although thanks to the VR you can now look around as Captain Toad ends the game. The enemies all vanish from the stage during his victory dance which is something we didn't know before.

The third stage is Briny Bowl Swimming Hole and like the other three levels it plays exactly the same with no real changes other than the ability to look around...however there's nothing really to look at outside the stage itself from what I could see. I was expecting an easter egg of some sort to pop up if you waited long enough.

The last stage is really the only one that seems worthwhile, and that's Mine Cart Tunnel Throwdown, which you'd assume the Labo VR would focus on to begin with. It's actually a blast if slightly disappointing that it's the only level of the four that really takes advantage of the VR goggles to any real gameplay enhancement. I'd quite happily play all the minecart levels in this way, but for now at least we've got this one to enjoy.

Last things to note:
If you have obtained the crown from beating Mummy Me Maze forever(I beat that finally not two days before the Labo update ironically enough), this does not appear on the Captain's head.

Due to Labo being exclusively single player(due to nature of using it as a VR headkit) Toadette and Purple Captain Toad are not playable.

A missed opportunity but there's no challenges past collect the three power gems and the star. That means no 'Find Pixel Toad' and no bonus challenges to reward you with a tick.

Overall IMO whilst it's neat Captain Toad has the honour of being only the fourth Switch game to get a Labo mode, it smacks of missed opportunity. This could have been a great way to reintroduce the 3D World Levels that were scrapped or just focus entirely on the minecart levels.

It IS a free update however and can be played even without any genuine LABO parts so go check it out and see what you think!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, I've just tried out the Labo X Captain Toad addition and here's my first impressions. Contains huge spoilers on the entire thing:

The HUD is really nice and it's enjoyable to look around with Toadette riding the minecart as Captain Toad waits by his tent and base camp waving excitedly at you as you look down on him. He also waves at Toadette as she zips past on the minecart. Bullet Bills fly overhead as Shy Guys patrol a far off island and Kamek throws magic blasts with poor aim at the minecart riding Toadette.

As you complete each stage, a member of the Toad Brigade will come to join the Captain at base camp. That's kinda neat. It's a shame you can't interact more with the HUD like for example firing turnips at the surrounding enemies. Captain Toad and Green Toad both seem to look up at you when you look at them which is neat but Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are less interactive.

There's unfortunately only four levels though so this is a rather mini experience and even worse; they're not new levels.

The first is the opening/tutorial level: The Treasure at the Mushroom Ruins which has added Super Gems for Captain to collect and removed Toadette and Wingo from the opening. The Golden Mushroom is also there but it's not a secret clear condition as there aren't any for this mode.

The second is Walleye Tumble Temple, which I believe is the third level of the main game. Nothing really changes, although thanks to the VR you can now look around as Captain Toad ends the game. The enemies all vanish from the stage during his victory dance which is something we didn't know before.

The third stage is Briny Bowl Swimming Hole and like the other three levels it plays exactly the same with no real changes other than the ability to look around...however there's nothing really to look at outside the stage itself from what I could see. I was expecting an easter egg of some sort to pop up if you waited long enough.

The last stage is really the only one that seems worthwhile, and that's Mine Cart Tunnel Throwdown, which you'd assume the Labo VR would focus on to begin with. It's actually a blast if slightly disappointing that it's the only level of the four that really takes advantage of the VR goggles to any real gameplay enhancement. I'd quite happily play all the minecart levels in this way, but for now at least we've got this one to enjoy.

Last things to note:
If you have obtained the crown from beating Mummy Me Maze forever(I beat that finally not two days before the Labo update ironically enough), this does not appear on the Captain's head.

Due to Labo being exclusively single player(due to nature of using it as a VR headkit) Toadette and Purple Captain Toad are not playable.

A missed opportunity but there's no challenges past collect the three power gems and the star. That means no 'Find Pixel Toad' and no bonus challenges to reward you with a tick.

Overall IMO whilst it's neat Captain Toad has the honour of being only the fourth Switch game to get a Labo mode, it smacks of missed opportunity. This could have been a great way to reintroduce the 3D World Levels that were scrapped or just focus entirely on the minecart levels.

It IS a free update however and can be played even without any genuine LABO parts so go check it out and see what you think!
i not one for vr but that hub did look good they should have something similar for cap 2

Top Bottom