• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Actually was one of my biggest complaints about Peach's moveset. That and no moves from her own game(Super Princess Peach) included in later titles was a missed opportunity.

I love Super Mario Peach a lot, but Smash Peach has it coming. They feel like totally different characters to me honestly!
yeah i was really hoping peach's final smash was anger from spp way back when, theres a few mario characters who feel a little off, mario looks so serious in his victories and art work (taunts are fine) and bowser seems more feral than he is i know its just a little thing but id much rather the usual bowser laugh than that roar

Laniv

Smash Lord
yeah i was really hoping peach's final smash was anger from spp way back when, theres a few mario characters who feel a little off, mario looks so serious in his victories and art work (taunts are fine) and bowser seems more feral than he is i know its just a little thing but id much rather the usual bowser laugh than that roar
Honestly, rosalina and bowser jr are the only mario characters that feel like themselves

like mario's too angry, bowser is too feral and dinosaur-like, peach using her subjects as meat shields pre-ultimate feels weird

luigi has gotten better but still a ways to go to make him feel like luigi

dk and diddy are both Real Monkey

yoshi's off in a way I can't really describe

and smash wario feels like an entirely different person

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I mean, that guy's probably developed a phobia on likes of Waddle Dees if Subspace Emissary's any indication.

For the record, I miss his older character renders compared to Ultimate's one. His swag's completely gone now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, rosalina and bowser jr are the only mario characters that feel like themselves

like mario's too angry, bowser is too feral and dinosaur-like, peach using her subjects as meat shields pre-ultimate feels weird

its a rather bizarre thing isnt it when you consider how well some other characters have been done

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Have you guys seen this yet?
Lol this is so fake.
I really hope that Toad’s actual trailer is like this... Toad finally breaking free from Peach’s control and letting Peach get hit for once.

I have some ideas from Toad’s moveset. Maybe Toad could use Peach in some moves like how Peach/Daisy use Toads in their moves... but since Peach is already playable, Pink Gold Peach would be part of Toad’s moveset instead.

B: Pink Gold Peach
Pink Gold Peach appears in front of Toad. She protects Toad from enemy attacks and it is fitting because she is a Shield type spirit in Ultmate. She counters physical attacks with her parasol like in Super Mario RPG. She also absorbs projectiles with her parasol and then it shoots beams like Perry’s Chargebrella move in Super Princess Peach.

Side+B: Mushmellow Dash
Toad gets in his mushroom-shaped kart (from Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Tour) and starts driving. It works like Bowser Jr.’s side special move. It’s good for horizontal recovery.

Up+B: Propeller Toad
It works like it does in New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U. It’s good for vertical recovery.

Down+B: Vegetable
Tap the B button and Toad pulls out a normal-sized Turnip. Hold down the B button to charge and Toad pulls out a giant-sized Turnip from Super Mario Advance and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Giant vegetables deal more damage, obviously. It pays homage to Toad’s rumored superhuman strength (mentioned in Toad’s Melee/Brawl trophies and originated in Super Mario Bros. 2 where Toad inherited Papa’s strength from Doki Doki Panic).

Final Smash: Turnip Cannon
Toad gets inside the Turnip Cannon and it starts shooting Turnips everywhere.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws
They are the same as Peach’s moves from Ultimate... except Pink Gold Peach appears in Peach’s place.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I really hope that Toad’s actual trailer is like this... Toad finally breaking free from Peach’s control and letting Peach get hit for once.

I have some ideas from Toad’s moveset. Maybe Toad could use Peach in some moves like how Peach/Daisy use Toads in their moves... but since Peach is already playable, Pink Gold Peach would be part of Toad’s moveset instead.

B: Pink Gold Peach
Pink Gold Peach appears in front of Toad. She protects Toad from enemy attacks and it is fitting because she is a Shield type spirit in Ultmate. She counters physical attacks with her parasol like in Super Mario RPG. She also absorbs projectiles with her parasol and then it shoots beams like Perry’s Chargebrella move in Super Princess Peach.

Side+B: Mushmellow Dash
Toad gets in his mushroom-shaped kart (from Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Tour) and starts driving. It works like Bowser Jr.’s side special move. It’s good for horizontal recovery.

Up+B: Propeller Toad
It works like it does in New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U. It’s good for vertical recovery.

Down+B: Vegetable
Tap the B button and Toad pulls out a normal-sized Turnip. Hold down the B button to charge and Toad pulls out a giant-sized Turnip from Super Mario Advance and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Giant vegetables deal more damage, obviously. It pays homage to Toad’s rumored superhuman strength (mentioned in Toad’s Melee/Brawl trophies and originated in Super Mario Bros. 2 where Toad inherited Papa’s strength from Doki Doki Panic).

Final Smash: Turnip Cannon
Toad gets inside the Turnip Cannon and it starts shooting Turnips everywhere.

Grab, Pummel, and Throws
They are the same as Peach’s moves from Ultimate... except Pink Gold Peach appears in Peach’s place.
Minus the Pink Gold Peach stuff...that's actually pretty much the new released mod move set that the trailer 'leak' advertised. Check it out;

Final Smash currently isn't the same(although he planned it to be), but looks like he had very similar ideas to you.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Here's the entire thing in all it's glory!

Even includes some surprises!
Love this!

I really love the idea of Toad picking up opponents and throwing them, even in the air, just like in Super Mario Bros. 2.

I’m 100% convinced that Toad shouldn’t just beat up Peach in his reveal trailer... no, he simply steps aside and lets Peach get blasted away and then he smiles as the screen reads “Toad breaks free!” That part made me laugh out loud and it was so satisfying to watch after 15+ years of watching Peach use Toad as a meat shield. :joyful:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’m 100% convinced that Toad shouldn’t just beat up Peach in his reveal trailer... no, he simply steps aside and lets Peach get blasted away and then he smiles as the screen reads “Toad breaks free!” That part made me laugh out loud and it was so satisfying to watch after 15+ years of watching Peach use Toad as a meat shield. :joyful:
this is a side of the toad fandom i never expected

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just realized that Samus vs Peach in that video is a homage to the first time Toad was deconfirmed on the Japanese Melee website.

1559839593001.png

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Believe it or not, Captain Toad is actually my most wanted character. No joke.

Throw me into the support list!
done welcome aboard, please dont mind that some what psychotic views of peach some of the others have recently taken

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
done welcome aboard, please dont mind that some what psychotic views of peach some of the others have recently taken
It's always been bubbling under the surface, unfortunately.

Between "lol he's already in the game!" put downs for Toad support, the fact Peach almost immedietely equals Toad's deconfirmation when she's showcased and that we had three(or 4 if you count "for 3DS" and "for Wii U" seperately) games where Toad is haplessly thrust in front as a meat shield in a manner that looks less than consential I can't really blame the Toad Brigade having a small disdain towards Smash's interpretation of Peach(and now Daisy).

At least Ultimate's Toad counter gives the poor guy a little dignity.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

They obviously don't feel comfortable using characters that were made by other people (which is a common issue among Japanese developers, it seems), so it's little wonder.

At least there's a reason for Bowser and Wario; Sakurai wants Bowser to be scary again since modern Mario games these days make him "too cute" (which is sorta like how the Nightmare On Elm Street franchise turned Freddy Kruger into a laughable joke after a while). Meanwhile, Wario was always depicted as wacky in Japan outside of the games, the more "manly" persona is really mostly just on the Western marketing side of things.

Granted, the Smash universe's characters are mostly all toys and trophies brought to life anyway, so...

Oh, and on top of all that, people actually like Roy's completely inaccurate portrayal of being hot-blooded, than the calm commander he is in FE proper.

Last edited:

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice

Between "lol he's already in the game!" put downs for Toad support, the fact Peach almost immedietely equals Toad's deconfirmation when she's showcased and that we had three(or 4 if you count "for 3DS" and "for Wii U" seperately) games where Toad is haplessly thrust in front as a meat shield in a manner that looks less than consential I can't really blame the Toad Brigade having a small disdain towards Smash's interpretation of Peach(and now Daisy).

Well, I've always maintained the mindset that *Captain* Toad is unique enough to stand on his own alongside the Toad Peach uses as a meat shield. Of course, they could also change Peach's red Toad to a yellow one, to match Daisy's blue Toad. (they don't really NEED to do this though)

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman

Here's the entire thing in all it's glory!

Even includes some surprises!
This is simply amazing! The amount of dedication KingBob did for the moveset, trailer, and even the model is outstanding overall! Having a reveal trailer like this for Toad/Captain Toad would be perfect in a future Smash title with a bit of payback to Peach (nothing personal against the princess, but Sakurai forcefully keeping Toad as a move after all these years really left a sour feeling). Definitely have a lot of respect for the amount of work put into this project.

I quite like how some moves even seem a bit similar to Toad's moveset from Smash Bros. Crusade with the down smash looking like that spore burst move he had there. Plus the aerial throws akin to SMB2 is a great nod to Toad's infamous superhuman strength. Let's hope the Turnip Cannon will be able to be implemented as well for a final smash as otherwise the kit is fitting together very well.

Regardless, every move in this kit seems very familiar to what we've seen from Toad's various roles (Toad's platformer days, role as an item shop host, a popular kart rider, a literal Indiana Jones-incarnate in the Mushroom Kingdom) - all of which is a good thing! Additionally, all of these are moves I can see Toad performing in the game - KingBob even goes on to mention how few of Toad's moves actually use his stubby limbs despite this being a silly argument in the first place from those opposing Toad considering characters like Kirby, Jigglypuff, AC characters, and of course a rather infamous plant playable in the game. Even the spores can be considered fitting as a result of his general anatomy as well as Smash Bros. Melee already establishing that Toads are capable of emitting spores offensively.

At this rate, I'd either accept Toad or Captain Toad as the default tbh (along with Toadette as a prominent alt with unique VO and effects) - a playable Toad is very long overdue in Smash. The jumping inability of the Captain even strikes me more as an innovative design to play around rather than it being a complete exclusion in his case as well. There is plenty of material for the Toads as the video illustrated; however, it is ultimately up to Sakurai to take the charge.

Toads are continuously being used as multiplayer characters in the Mario platform titles - hopefully Nintendo continues to push the Captain Toad series onwards as well. It really baffles me as to how Sakurai keeps passing over Toad as if it were any other Mario character with the credentials as Toad - there would be a massive outrage as to the exclusion of the character. Imagine if Waluigi even had half the main series appearances that the Toads had over the course of their history. Really a shame how overlooked little Toad is.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

have to say i got no ill will towards peach, i mean if i did its all been out weighed by the fury of my least favourite character in the entire franchise getting in

They obviously don't feel comfortable using characters that were made by other people (which is a common issue among Japanese developers, it seems), so it's little wonder.

At least there's a reason for Bowser and Wario; Sakurai wants Bowser to be scary again since modern Mario games these days make him "too cute" (which is sorta like how the Nightmare On Elm Street franchise turned Freddy Kruger into a laughable joke after a while). Meanwhile, Wario was always depicted as wacky in Japan outside of the games, the more "manly" persona is really mostly just on the Western marketing side of things.

Granted, the Smash universe's characters are mostly all toys and trophies brought to life anyway, so...

Oh, and on top of all that, people actually like Roy's completely inaccurate portrayal of being hot-blooded, than the calm commander he is in FE proper.
when was bowser scary? when was wario manly?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
have to say i got no ill will towards peach, i mean if i did its all been out weighed by the fury of my least favourite character in the entire franchise getting in
You leave Piranha Plant alone!

(jk, I know it's Daisy. What do you dislike Daisy anyway?)

This is simply amazing! The amount of dedication KingBob did for the moveset, trailer, and even the model is outstanding overall! Having a reveal trailer like this for Toad/Captain Toad would be perfect in a future Smash title with a bit of payback to Peach (nothing personal against the princess, but Sakurai forcefully keeping Toad as a move after all these years really left a sour feeling). Definitely have a lot of respect for the amount of work put into this project.

I quite like how some moves even seem a bit similar to Toad's moveset from Smash Bros. Crusade with the down smash looking like that spore burst move he had there. Plus the aerial throws akin to SMB2 is a great nod to Toad's infamous superhuman strength. Let's hope the Turnip Cannon will be able to be implemented as well for a final smash as otherwise the kit is fitting together very well.

Regardless, every move in this kit seems very familiar to what we've seen from Toad's various roles (Toad's platformer days, role as an item shop host, a popular kart rider, a literal Indiana Jones-incarnate in the Mushroom Kingdom) - all of which is a good thing! Additionally, all of these are moves I can see Toad performing in the game - KingBob even goes on to mention how few of Toad's moves actually use his stubby limbs despite this being a silly argument in the first place from those opposing Toad considering characters like Kirby, Jigglypuff, AC characters, and of course a rather infamous plant playable in the game. Even the spores can be considered fitting as a result of his general anatomy as well as Smash Bros. Melee already establishing that Toads are capable of emitting spores offensively.

At this rate, I'd either accept Toad or Captain Toad as the default tbh (along with Toadette as a prominent alt with unique VO and effects) - a playable Toad is very long overdue in Smash. The jumping inability of the Captain even strikes me more as an innovative design to play around rather than it being a complete exclusion in his case as well. There is plenty of material for the Toads as the video illustrated; however, it is ultimately up to Sakurai to take the charge.

Toads are continuously being used as multiplayer characters in the Mario platform titles - hopefully Nintendo continues to push the Captain Toad series onwards as well. It really baffles me as to how Sakurai keeps passing over Toad as if it were any other Mario character with the credentials as Toad - there would be a massive outrage as to the exclusion of the character. Imagine if Waluigi even had half the main series appearances that the Toads had over the course of their history. Really a shame how overlooked little Toad is.
Having looked at the Reddit topic on this particular post it was actually pretty refreshing to see quite a lot of positive responses to Toad as a character. Quite a few were saying "About time" or "I'd be more than happy with this" and "I wish this was real". Seems Toad does indeed have a Smash fanbase, but due to seeing how he seems to be a bigger pipe dream than even third parties with potential licensing issues like Sora and Banjo(sorta) and it seems a lot of people just don't talk about him.

Well, I've always maintained the mindset that *Captain* Toad is unique enough to stand on his own alongside the Toad Peach uses as a meat shield. Of course, they could also change Peach's red Toad to a yellow one, to match Daisy's blue Toad. (they don't really NEED to do this though)
Actually, I'd not be against this either. Yellow and Blue arguably are counterparts so having Peach and Daisy have them kind of makes sense.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Actually, I'd not be against this either. Yellow and Blue arguably are counterparts so having Peach and Daisy have them kind of makes sense.
Hmm... considering that Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are usually playable, maybe Peach and Daisy should have Toadsworth and Tumble (from Mario Party 3) respectively.

I would like Blue Toad and Yellow Toad to be playable as Toad’s alts.

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
In the meantime, check out this cute concept art of unused concepts! (CAT CAPTAIN TOAD!!!)

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
In the meantime, check out this cute concept art of unused concepts! (CAT CAPTAIN TOAD!!!)
Is that Cat-ptain Toad?!? Looks like he was originally going to be able to climb up walls!

Oh man, I love the door design.

Also from that same Twitter account:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
i dont know what it is
Eh, Daisy's a character that I find you either love or hate. Very few happen to be along the lines of "eh, yeah, she's OK. I kinda like her, but she's not my favorite Mario character." I actually happen to be one of those few people, though I still prefer her to Peach, who I only really like in the RPGs. I think part of my preference though comes from :4luigi:. I mean, if he's cool with her, she's alright by me. Luigi's never... scarred me wrong. :laugh:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Eh, Daisy's a character that I find you either love or hate. Very few happen to be along the lines of "eh, yeah, she's OK. I kinda like her, but she's not my favorite Mario character." I actually happen to be one of those few people, though I still prefer her to Peach, who I only really like in the RPGs. I think part of my preference though comes from :4luigi:. I mean, if he's cool with her, she's alright by me. Luigi's never... scarred me wrong. :laugh:
I'm actually right there with you on Daisy. If I'm forced to pick a Princess(outside Smash) I'll usually pick her although that's largely to do with my friend and girlfriend both loving Peach enough to main her in the sports spinoffs.

Rosalina on the other hand is the character I just can't gel with in any game. She's a heavyweight in Mario Kart so I'll usually avoid her for Waluigi, she's a tricky character which I can't get on with Mario Kart Tennis Aces(I prefer speedsters Toad, Yoshi and Pauline) and I just cannot use her Smash self worth a damn. To date she's the only Mario character I can't get on with and that's translated itself into the spinoffs as a result.

Good idea for a topic though; Top 10 Mario characters?

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm actually right there with you on Daisy. If I'm forced to pick a Princess(outside Smash) I'll usually pick her although that's largely to do with my friend and girlfriend both loving Peach enough to main her in the sports spinoffs.

Rosalina on the other hand is the character I just can't gel with in any game. She's a heavyweight in Mario Kart so I'll usually avoid her for Waluigi, she's a tricky character which I can't get on with Mario Kart Tennis Aces(I prefer speedsters Toad, Yoshi and Pauline) and I just cannot use her Smash self worth a damn. To date she's the only Mario character I can't get on with and that's translated itself into the spinoffs as a result.

Hey, I'm right there with ya on Rosalina as well. I was OK with her in the first few Galaxy games. Then she started appearing elsewhere, like in SM3DW. I raised an eyebrow in these situations, as, well, she's supposed to be this overseer of the cosmos, yet here she is running around with the Mario Bros.? But I never the less moved on.

Then Baby Rosalina came around in MK8, and I realized that Rosalina has become nothing in comparison to what she originally was. Baby Rosalina just breaks the Galaxy canon of her going off to the stars as a little girl. I guess it's how they overall handle Rosalina that rubs me the wrong way.

Anyways, top 10 Mario characters? I like that idea. Alright, I'll give it a shot. Oh! I am going to disqualify Donkey Kong characters though, as they've kinda become their own thing. Yoshi and Wario are totally fair game.

10. Mario
It feels weird placing Mario so low, he is the main character. However, when I look at things objectively, he doesn't have much going for him. He's brave, sure, and decently strong. And who doesn't love him? That said, his character is lacking.

9. Waluigi
Waluigi's a loser. I say that in the highest regards. No matter what he does, no one, aside from maybe, maybe Wario if he's feeling generous, holds this guy in any kind of regard. Why? Well, he never does anything of note. He just show's up to games like Tennis or Karting and that's really only because Wario made him his plus one in Mario Tennis. I think in that way though, we can all relate to Waluigi. Sometimes we feel like that guy who doesn't fit in, and for that, I recognize him.

8. Kamek
Whilst it is a shame that in recent Paper Mario days, Kamek has essentially replaced Kammy, there is something to like about Kamek. Despite how bratty Baby Bowser can be, he looks after him faithfully as a stand in father to the Koopa King. His rivalry with Yoshi is something comparable to Bowser's with Mario, or King Boo's with Luigi. I don't even consider Baby Bowser the main antagonist of Yoshi games. That's all Kamek.

7. Fawful
Probably my favorite (and most people's) RPG only character. Fawful is weird. He's really weird. His way of speaking often makes no sense. And to top it all off, he's a legitimate threat. He's got so much character, that even when he's at his worst, you can never really hate him. Was he always this way? Or did he learn a lot from Cackletta? I guess I'll never know. Only this low down due to his limited appearances.

6. Pauline
Super Mario Odyssey made me like Pauline a lot more. For one, we have an authority figure in the Mario verse that's not a princess or king or whatever royalty, it's an elected official. And, whatever happened between Mario and Pauline that ended their relationship, things seem pretty amicable between the two of them, so I get the vibe that she's a pretty laid back individual. Also, she didn't nearly abandon Mario on the moon. Turning down Mario's advances is perfectly understandable, but come on Peach, the moon has no atmosphere, that's a dangerous place to be!

5. Captain Toad
I hold Captain Toad in rather high regards, as the Mario equivalent to Kirby's Bandana Dee. Here, we have a prominent character, not a mook with a hat, a character, who has certainly done more than your average Paper Mario partner. I feel bad not putting him higher, but he hasn't quite grown on me like the others higher up have.

4. Wario
Take what I said about Waluigi, only with some perseverance and durability, this guy has made a name for himself. Things don't always go easily for Wario. Standing in the ever more popular Mario's shadow, and time and time again being bested by him, Wario doesn't let that keep him down. Eventually, even as Mario's rival, Wario decides to not make Mario his focus. Where is he now? A successful adventurer who's obtained numerous treasures on his journey, and even an entrepreneur with his own video game company, and thus kick started his own spin-off titles. He's even antagonized more than Mario, with his brief stint messing with Toad in that forest. I really gotta give him a hand, he's improved over the years.

3. Yoshi
I used to like Yoshi a lot more. I mean, I still really like him, but I guess I've just come to appreciate a the next two a little more over the years. But what's not to like about Yoshi? He's cute, heroic, and I can only assume it was him that turned Birdo from the side of evil after SMB2 to a more neutral stance. He babysits, he gives rides, saves Mario when Mario, Luigi, and Wario are all captured during SM64DS, he's the perfect sidekick, and an overall benevolent guy.

2. Bowser
The exact opposite to Yoshi. Sometimes what you really want in life is a good villain. Or, whatever Bowser is. Yeah, Bowser's an antagonist, but I'm not sure he's a villain. Anyone who'd be willing to party with his "arch enemy," and even high five him after a team effort, clearly isn't a villain. Not that I can remember Bowser ever really doing anything good, aside from SMRPG and Bowser's Inside Story, but watching him is always a fun time. He can range from serious to humorous in the RPGs, and that's range I can enjoy. Well done Bowser, you may never succeed, but you came out a winner today.

1. Luigi
I don't know why, but I just love this guy. He's a loser like Waluigi sometimes, but he's a loser you can't help but root for. Despite his fear, he shows true courage to save Mario not once, but numerous times, and I think that's what I also enjoy about him. The brotherly love he has for Mario. Whilst Mario might just up and ignore his trophy on Dedede's little truck in Subspace Emissary, instead choosing to focus on the princess, that's not the case for Luigi. It's clear that Luigi loves his brother, and will do anything to help him, even if that means rescuing the princess and letting Mario take all the glory. You're a pretty swell guy Luigi, looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 3.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think I've join yet, can you add me to the supporters list please. I think Toad is one of the last few Nintendo All Stars not yet in the roster and is deserving more than probably any character not in yet.
done welcome to the brigade

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
10. Iggy Koopa
9. Princess Peach
8. Luigi
7. Vivian
6. Flurrie
5. Bowser
4. Kammy Koopa
3. Boo (just regular Boo, King Boo is too dark for me)
2. Yoshi
1. Toad (all toads from Captain to Ette)

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Well, I can't place em' in any real order (and it kinda goes over ten), but there are plenty of Mario characters I hold dear.
Mario himself, Luigi, Toad and Toadette of course, Shy Guy (best mook anyone?), Daisy, Bowser, Yoshi, Nabbit, Petey Piranha, Lemmy and Iggy Koopa, Wario, Pauline, and Polterpup (can we all agree it's an actual crime he's been so underused?).

Overall, though, I like most of the faces this franchise has to offer, which is somewhat expected if you've followed it since toddlerhood like yours truly.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
My top ten;

top 10 Mario characters for YoshiandToad.png

Captain Toad and Toad, despite knowing they are technically two different characters I view them as the same guy. I still think it's weird we have never seen a true 'The Toad' hanging out with 'Captain Toad' to make that distinction. Also they managed to knock Yoshi off the top spot finally between me now maining Toad in most Mario spinoffs(so glad he's back in the Tennis games, I really missed him) and now dropping Yoshi to play as Toad in Mario Kart.
I blame Smash speculation for reigniting my Toad love and making him leapfrog up the rankings. PUT HIM IN SMASH SAKURAI, DAMMIT.

Yoshi I adore a lot, but it's mostly Smash and Mario sports games that made me a fan. Island is great and I love Yoshi's Island DS, but until Crafted World came around there hasn't been a Yoshi game I've really enjoyed all that much since. Wooly World for whatever reason didn't do it for me. He's still my Smash main though, and if Toad ever gets in he'll just have to share that top spot.

Luigi is a distant third, but I played as him a lot in the Wii U era between 3D World(as my sister ONLY likes Toad from the playable cast), New Super Mario Bros. U(again, she played Blue Toad and I'm not as big a fan of Yellow's aesthetic as Luigi), and he became my secondary in Sm4sh. Looking forward to Luigi's Mansion 3 even though I skipped Dark Moon.

Ludwig just has a great design in my opinion. I love his look, his big toothy fang and that he's technically the leader of the Koopalings and most his boss battles tend to be pretty difficult. My friends got so fed up of me destroying them as Ludwig in Mario Kart and Sm4sh that "****ing Ludwig" became a meme for us.

Bowser is just great. Great villain, very charismatic, great fun to play in Smash. Glad he stands upright now and is an actual threat rather than just a huge target. He also gets the best lines.

Toadette is best girl. She doesn't need rescuing(except that one time where she then immedietely turned around and then became the hero for book 2) and she's now adventuring alongside the Mario bros to save Peach. She's great. Little badass.

Mario is relatively low, but that's just due to him being such a blank slate character compared to the above. I still throughly enjoy hearing his voice as he bounces around the world, but I'm always disappointed I can't play as Luigi, Toad or Yoshi instead in these scenarios. Mario Odyssey is the one exception where I'm more than happy for Mario to be the only playable character for a more coherent story. Meeting Charles Martinet was one of my favourite experiences.

Waluigi...above Wario? Well yes. I don't know what it is about Waluigi but I have a soft spot for the ignored lanky purple guy. Between his ridiculous abilities such as swimming in mid air, or pulling a rose out of no where and acting like a cassanova wannabee, Waluigi is just that much more entertaining to me than Wario. Maybe due to his eternal underdog status as well, I tend to even play him far more than Mario and Toadette in spinoffs despite liking him slightly less.

Pauline is a character I always wanted them to bring back...Mario vs. Donkey Kong gave her a new design and whilst I felt it was different, it didn't quite gel for me...until Odyssey in which she was such a heavily marketed character alongside that incredible song that I instantly fell in love with the new Pauline. Still disappointed her role was smaller than advertising made out, but glad she's returned and even made it onto the Tennis Court as a playable character for the first time ever.

Peach is slightly lower than Pauline in part because it depends on the game. Mario Strikers she's full of attitude, and Super Princess Peach and Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door made her fun but other times, I have to wonder why she doesn't even attempt to escape or resist Bowser. Odyssey is a prime example where she could easily escape by jumping off the airship since she can FLOAT to safety and there's not really anything the Koopa King can do to stop her. I still enjoy playing her in spinoffs although due to others enjoying her more Daisy tends to get played by me to let them.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
My top ten;
Peach is slightly lower than Pauline in part because it depends on the game. Mario Strikers she's full of attitude, and Super Princess Peach and Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door made her fun but other times, I have to wonder why she doesn't even attempt to escape or resist Bowser. Odyssey is a prime example where she could easily escape by jumping off the airship since she can FLOAT to safety and there's not really anything the Koopa King can do to stop her. I still enjoy playing her in spinoffs although due to others enjoying her more Daisy tends to get played by me to let them.
Considering how we've seen Peach best Bowser when push comes to shove, when it's really needed, I've just come to the conclusion that she purposely plays the damsel in distress. That is to say, she sees this as a game, or a role that she plays for fun. She 'get's captured' and waits for Mario to save her. A weird love game maybe between the two of them? Bowser really is trying to kidnap her though, all the while he doesn't know that she could escape any time she wanted.

That's how I see it anyways.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I dunno if any of you guys do this... but if i see a video or an article that is like “Rumor surfaces of new Smash DLC character”
The FIRST thing I do is come over here to this thread and see if we are talking about a Toad rumor.
And when I confirm that we’re not, I don’t have to waste my time clicking on the article or viewing the video. :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cant really see Toad making it tomorrow, not after Piranha.
In the future, sure.

So it would be a pretty striking character reveal for me.
I hope its coming in time.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
1. Fawful.
2. I want to say the partners from the first 2 Paper Mario games, like, collectively? I have my preferences between them but all of them, in the grand scheme of things, feel similarly charismatic, memorable, and engaging to me.
3. Luigi.
4. Toad
5. Bowser.
6. Waluigi.
7. Mario
8. Wario.
9. Rosalina.
10. Peach.

Top Bottom