• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, :ultsonic: somewhat did beat him to the punch via Dimensions, so why not? At least Traveller's Tales are almost assured to acknowledge Toad's status in one.

The only problem is that when someone wanted to submit a custom Zelda set for approval to Lego a while back, it didn't pass, so it could be troublesome.
Yeah, that's too bad.

...Anything could be fun as a Lego game. Zelda, Mario, Sonic(though there are Mario Kart Legos), etc. I'm trying to think of how to work Quest 64 in while keeping the designs logical, but it's not easy. I mean, something like Big Mouth being a rework alligator design is easy. Many others just plain aren't. That said, they have a start with the Mario Kart Lego stuff, so it shouldn't be difficult at all to make that kind of game. My guess is moreso Nintendo is pretty picky of who uses the Mario cast. Ubisoft did an amazing job with Mario + Rabbids, so it's not like it's impossible to get a similar crossover/design style in that regard from another company.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I really would like a 2D Mario game with the Captain as playable. He could have the lowest jump height but could use his pickaxe for attacks. Maybe hard more could be him. I would just like 2D Mario to make the characters different in terms of stats. Give Luigi a permanent flutter jump, give road amazing run speed but below average jump height, or make the characters Mario, Luigi, Wario, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Toadette, and Nabbit.

Laniv

Smash Lord
I kinda want a Captain Toad 2 where he and the rest of the toad brigade explore forgotten mario-verse locales like sarasaland or kitchen island

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I kinda want a Captain Toad 2 where he and the rest of the toad brigade explore forgotten mario-verse locales like sarasaland or kitchen island
thatd be quite nice, i now id love to return to some of those places

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
well once again yoshi can dress as toad
Haha now that's adorable - YoshiandToad might have a new avatar at this rate. xD Crafted World certainly has a aesthetically pleasing appearance overall.

Would love this as well. Treasure Tracker already has quite the record of filling in the "lore" gaps for Mario including with the latest DLC episode. I feel the brigade could certainly bring a charming tale of revisiting old locations. Would love to see Wart, Mouser, and some of the other SMB2 bosses return as well as a throwback (Wingo looking like a giant Pidgit/Shy Guys/turnips/Arabian themed structures in TT were already delightful!).

I'd like to see some more characteristics added to the other Brigade members as well in the future. Maybe give Yellow Toad a night cap to further distinguish himself or even have Banktoad return to his SMG2 role to managing the Captain's treasures/funds/debts. Mailtoad and a bonus Toadsworth could be interesting to have in a hub area with supporting roles as well.

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
There is a rumored Nintendo Direct on April 11th, which is my birthday, and I was joking with my boyfriend that if they revealed Captain Toad as playable in Smash, and Super Mario Party. It would be the best birthday gift ever, but I would be so excited I’d just have a heart attack and die. Heh.

It’s just a rumor, but I am interested to see what new info we get if there actually is a direct scheduled!

Lenidem

Smash Lord
There is a rumored Nintendo Direct on April 11th, which is my birthday, and I was joking with my boyfriend that if they revealed Captain Toad as playable in Smash, and Super Mario Party. It would be the best birthday gift ever, but I would be so excited I’d just have a heart attack and die. Heh.

It’s just a rumor, but I am interested to see what new info we get if there actually is a direct scheduled!
I hope you die, then. Nothing personal. :p

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Would love this as well. Treasure Tracker already has quite the record of filling in the "lore" gaps for Mario including with the latest DLC episode. I feel the brigade could certainly bring a charming tale of revisiting old locations. Would love to see Wart, Mouser, and some of the other SMB2 bosses return as well as a throwback (Wingo looking like a giant Pidgit/Shy Guys/turnips/Arabian themed structures in TT were already delightful!).

I'd like to see some more characteristics added to the other Brigade members as well in the future. Maybe give Yellow Toad a night cap to further distinguish himself or even have Banktoad return to his SMG2 role to managing the Captain's treasures/funds/debts. Mailtoad and a bonus Toadsworth could be interesting to have in a hub area with supporting roles as well.
It never really occured to me that Toad uncovers the Treasure of the Mario universe...

Now if we can go back in time more frequently, it's all I want.
It makes Toadsworth the keeper of lore in Mario??

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
if nintendo had gone with dlc characters to promote their big games this year, do you suppose wed be hoping for toad to promote luigi's mansion 3?

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
It never really occured to me that Toad uncovers the Treasure of the Mario universe...

Now if we can go back in time more frequently, it's all I want.
It makes Toadsworth the keeper of lore in Mario??
Tbh, perhaps some more references to Subcon may help out with this situation.

Remember the
potions from SMB2? These potions somehow opened up alternated/twisted variants of the level that were activated upon in the original game. A throwback to these potions or an item that functioned similarly to this could perhaps allow the Toad Brigade to go back to alternate versions of various levels/stages from past Mario titles. Then again, SMB2 was filled with many twisted ideas for a variety of reasons (Doki Doki Panic to the overall dreamworld that Subcon took place within) - stopwatches even existed that would freeze time as well.

Also I'm down to see Toadsworth as a lore keeper or even a librarian of sorts to keep a tab on all the lore tidbits/unique treasure that the Toad Brigade collects. Toadette will likely take an active role as an adventurer this time around for a sequel, so I'd imagine Toadsworth would be a suitable replacement as an archivist of sorts in the backline.

Anyone have interesting head cannons about our new purple coloured Captain Toad from the DLC as well?

if nintendo had gone with dlc characters to promote their big games this year, do you suppose wed be hoping for toad to promote luigi's mansion 3?
This could be interesting to see as well though sadly I feel they will likely using something like the "greener" Luigi once again for the multiplayer mode as opposed to Toad as a playable. However, it would be excellent to have Toad be there along with Luigi and E Gadd to promote the new title for sure.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This could be interesting to see as well though sadly I feel they will likely using something like the "greener" Luigi once again for the multiplayer mode as opposed to Toad as a playable. However, it would be excellent to have Toad be there along with Luigi and E Gadd to promote the new title for sure.
i seem to recall reading somewhere that mario, peach and toad were meant to be playable in luigi's mansion 2's multiplayer mode so maybe its an idea they could revisit

mind you im i cant recall where i read that so its probably just a rumour

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Question to the room:

Would you prefer Captain Toad 2 or Captain/Toad in Smash?

Personally, I know I would get more actual joy from a sequel, because it would be a game I would definitely buy and bring direct pleasure for hours.

That said, I would get more satisfaction from his inclusion in Smash. My brain would rest slightly better because I still commit to this game being All-Stars, missing a few key players.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Question to the room:

Personally, I know I would get more actual joy from a sequel, because it would be a game I would definitely buy and bring direct pleasure for hours.

That said, I would get more satisfaction from his inclusion in Smash. My brain would rest slightly better because I still commit to this game being All-Stars, missing a few key players.
I think I would prefer Captain Toad/Toad in Smash over a sequel.

I, of course, would play the sequel to completion. My problem with games like that tho is after I beat them. I kinda don’t play them again unless the mood strikes me.

With Smash I feel like I would get more play time, because I would want to learn the character and learn how to be incredible with him.

Also games like Smash I come back to over and over again when I want to play something, and it’s also a game I play with my friends!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think I would prefer Captain Toad/Toad in Smash over a sequel.

I, of course, would play the sequel to completion. My problem with games like that tho is after I beat them. I kinda don’t play them again unless the mood strikes me.

With Smash I feel like I would get more play time, because I would want to learn the character and learn how to be incredible with him.

Also games like Smash I come back to over and over again when I want to play something, and it’s also a game I play with my friends!
I had a comment to this. Truly.

But your avatar is so adorable and fierce that I have completely forgotten my comment.
Tough and puny all at once. I dare say I love Toad.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Question to the room:

Oof, now THAT'S a tough call.

On the one hand Captain Toad Treasure Tracker may be the most charming game I've played this decade(Yoshi's Crafted and Wooly World's are very close behind) but on the other it's taken DLC and three versions of the same game to get it to the point where it feels more like a full package game.
I'm really grateful for the two player mode which is something I've always wanted since the original game was announced and it's cute references to other games such as the original Donkey Kong, Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and 3D World, I just wish there'd been a few more boss levels and a couple more cameos chucked in.
A sequel could definitely make the next game feel like a more complete package from the get go and THEN add DLC to make it a big bulky choice. How about bringing back a reference to Wario's Woods or adding a new gameplay mechanic from it such as stacking multiple items or walking up certain surfaces?

On the other hand I've waited 20 full years for a playable Toad in Smash, which is a longer time than many of this board have been alive, as insane as that sounds. A fully playable Toad in Smash has inexplicably become one of my biggest dreams I want to see realised before I die which is absolutely nuts when I consider my other ones include more sensible things such as 'marrying the woman I love', 'having kids' and 'being a success in my chosen field'.
Captain Toad offers a lot, and it's been really painful watching the likes of Mario in a labcoat and a literal generic potted plant enemy get selected before either him or regular Toad (whom is a regular member of the main cast) for a game which was originally all about Nintendo All Stars fighting.

As strange as it sounds Ultimate's roster has become rather bloated and full of so much fluff, that even if Captain Toad did miraculously make it next time the victory will be a little bittersweet to me.
Playable Toad didn't happen before a generic Piranha Plant, a bunch of third parties (some of whom barely even cameo on Nintendo consoles), Dr. Mario, three+ versions of Link, the one off wonder who did exactly nothing but play a musical instrument that is Sheik and the Ice Climbers from possibly the worst NES game I've ever played.

Right now I feel like I'd prefer a sequel, and just flip the bird to Smash and Sakurai. Captain Toad is a crazy charming game and deserves to make it as it's own game franchise.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Question to the room:

that is a tough one, i would get endless joy out of both, even more of those fun little levels to explore in surprisingly awesome locations for such small areas, and then toad cap in smash (or any toad) he shoot straight to my most played character along side link and youre right it would be very satisfying, although i may get myself in trouble with the eight billion pics saying "yes" id post here

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Question to the room:

I have never played Captain Toad (yet) and Toad, Captain or not, is one of my five most wanted. So simply said I'd choose him to be in Smash.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Oof, now THAT'S a tough call.

On the one hand Captain Toad Treasure Tracker may be the most charming game I've played this decade(Yoshi's Crafted and Wooly World's are very close behind) but on the other it's taken DLC and three versions of the same game to get it to the point where it feels more like a full package game.
I'm really grateful for the two player mode which is something I've always wanted since the original game was announced and it's cute references to other games such as the original Donkey Kong, Mario Odyssey, Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and 3D World, I just wish there'd been a few more boss levels and a couple more cameos chucked in.
A sequel could definitely make the next game feel like a more complete package from the get go and THEN add DLC to make it a big bulky choice. How about bringing back a reference to Wario's Woods or adding a new gameplay mechanic from it such as stacking multiple items or walking up certain surfaces?

On the other hand I've waited 20 full years for a playable Toad in Smash, which is a longer time than many of this board have been alive, as insane as that sounds. A fully playable Toad in Smash has inexplicably become one of my biggest dreams I want to see realised before I die which is absolutely nuts when I consider my other ones include more sensible things such as 'marrying the woman I love', 'having kids' and 'being a success in my chosen field'.
Captain Toad offers a lot, and it's been really painful watching the likes of Mario in a labcoat and a literal generic potted plant enemy get selected before either him or regular Toad (whom is a regular member of the main cast) for a game which was originally all about Nintendo All Stars fighting.

As strange as it sounds Ultimate's roster has become rather bloated and full of so much fluff, that even if Captain Toad did miraculously make it next time the victory will be a little bittersweet to me.
Playable Toad didn't happen before a generic Piranha Plant, a bunch of third parties (some of whom barely even cameo on Nintendo consoles), Dr. Mario, three+ versions of Link, the one off wonder who did exactly nothing but play a musical instrument that is Sheik and the Ice Climbers from possibly the worst NES game I've ever played.

Right now I feel like I'd prefer a sequel, and just flip the bird to Smash and Sakurai. Captain Toad is a crazy charming game and deserves to make it as it's own game franchise.
I agree with just about everything in this post! Including the wait time... Geez... I cannot believe we have been waiting 20 years for Toad...

But Captain Toad’s inclusions wouldn’t be bitter-sweet to me. I would be so happy. I don’t care if characters like Piranha Plant, or a handful of other characters I had never even heard of before, made it into Smash before Toad (they don’t matter to me cause I don’t play them any way!)
So his inclusion would spark so much joy that I couldn’t even focus on the fact it has taken him so long. Ha!

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I support Toad! With the addition of having Toadette as an alternate costume.

kaithehedgefox said:
Toad is one of the must-have playable characters who hasn't arrived yet. But he does have a high chance for DLC. Since Ultimate, characters in moves are no longer deconfirmed.

Toad's moveset isn't too hard to assemble. Since he would most likely be a semi-clone of Mario, or Dr. Mario. Most or some of his moveset would be cloned from Mario, and/or Dr. Mario.

Here's my idea for Toad's distinct moves:

Down Aerial: Mario's down aerial from Melee.

Dash Attack: Does a dash attack similar to Beck's Acxelerate.

Forward Smash: Toad charges up a hadouken-like energy projectile by performing a series of rapid arm movements, then he fires it with his cupped hands.

Up Smash: Toad fires a beam of energy from his index finger upwards.

Down Smash: Toad fires a beam of energy from his index finger downwards.

Standard Special: Energy Ball: Same as Mario's fireball, only with ki/chakra/energy instead of fire.

Side Special: Ki Blasts: Nearly identical to Goku's ki blasts in Super Smash Flash 2, except that it always flies straight regardless of Toad being in midair or not.

Down Special: Energy Absorption: Similar to Ness and Lucas's PSI Magnet. Toad raises his hand forward to absorb certain projectiles.

Final Smash: Super Toad: Nearly Identical to Sonic's final smash from Smash 4.

Almost the rest of Toad's moveset would be identical to Mario's. But if Toad gets officially released as a DLC for Smash Ultimate (probably after the first 5), his official moveset would be completely different from my concept above.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Don't know why I've not posted yet because I've always liked Toad, but add me to the supporter list.

That being said, I'm more in favor of the classic blue vest/red spot Toad. It is sad that of the Mario Kart 64 roster, he's the only one not in.

Before I mention what moves I would given him, before Brawl I thought that he could inherit some of Peach's moves while she received a moveset revamp based on Super Princess Peach. Now onto the moveset that I would give Toad

Neutral Special: Spore - Think the custom move Grumpy Toad, but isn't as weak as in SSB4 because I would have it be a chargeable move.

Up Special: Super Jump - Think Diddy's Rocketbarrel Boost.

Side Special: Sorry, but I'm honestly drawing a blank as to what I would give him.

Down Special: Vegetable, same as Peach's but able to pluck quicker.

Final Smash: Toad Brigade - They arrive in the Starshroom to rescue Toad. Think Olimar's End of Day, but without using bulborb effects. Instead it is a cinematic Final Smash that features the Starshroom escaping an exploding planetoid as in Super Mario Galaxy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Don't know why I've not posted yet because I've always liked Toad, but add me to the supporter list.

That being said, I'm more in favor of the classic blue vest/red spot Toad. It is sad that of the Mario Kart 64 roster, he's the only one not in.

Before I mention what moves I would given him, before Brawl I thought that he could inherit some of Peach's moves while she received a moveset revamp based on Super Princess Peach. Now onto the moveset that I would give Toad

Neutral Special: Spore - Think the custom move Grumpy Toad, but isn't as weak as in SSB4 because I would have it be a chargeable move.

Up Special: Super Jump - Think Diddy's Rocketbarrel Boost.

Side Special: Sorry, but I'm honestly drawing a blank as to what I would give him.

Down Special: Vegetable, same as Peach's but able to pluck quicker.

Final Smash: Toad Brigade - They arrive in the Starshroom to rescue Toad. Think Olimar's End of Day, but without using bulborb effects. Instead it is a cinematic Final Smash that features the Starshroom escaping an exploding planetoid as in Super Mario Galaxy.
added welcome to the brigade, btw if youre having trouble with moveset ideas why not take a look at the op where weve listed some moveset ideas some of which are based on all toads

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
My moveset makes sense, but I just wanted to make a distinct moveset for Toad. Do you have any more feedback about my moveset for Toad?
I think what would help is if you reposted the moveset but then added a note of where the move came from in regards to Toad.

Like the hadoukens seem quite random for Toad.
Are you suggesting, for example, they are blasts of mushroom spores shaped like Hadoukens or the Fire Flower is at play or is it a somewhat obscure reference to say...Paper Mario's "The Master" who utilises ki. I think a bit more info about the less obvious choices would help.

Top Bottom