• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Good news for us Captain Toad fans; NEW DLC and GENUINE CO-OP ACTION.

I love this game, so glad we're still getting support for it!
That was the only announcement that got me excited today!!

It was a fairly boring direct in my opinion.
I liked hearing a bit more on Yoshi’s crafted world.

I was really hoping to learn more about the newest Luigi’s Mansion!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
rejoice toad fans more proof of how awesome he is

this co op makes the idea of cap and toadette being like ice climbers seem like an ever better idea

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
When you download the DLC you get the first level to play through early. Just beat it. Much more of the same, but I have only done it in solo play thus far. I'll check out the co-op feature this weekend when I visit the girlfriend and let you know my thoughts!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
rejoice toad fans more proof of how awesome he is

this co op makes the idea of cap and toadette being like ice climbers seem like an ever better idea
Exactly my thoughts as well - it's almost like Captain Toad and Toadette are the modern day Ice Climbers with the features showed in the DLC episodes (key tossing etc).

This is brilliant; however. Was hoping we'd see more TT in the near future and looks like we were rewarded! Anyone got a nickname for the new purple/blue Captain Toad? :p

Also looks like Blue Toad (in builder costume) and Toadette (in cat form) will be in Super Mario Maker 2 as well. Playable? Looks to be!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I wonder if they made the 2P Captain Toad purple to reference Purple Toad's absence? In any case, I'm incredibly glad that Treasure Tracker is still getting love; I was worried Nintendo would forget about our little treasure tracker, but it seems as though that's anything but the case! It's also amazing to get proper co-op: as far as I'm concerned, that was one of the few major complaints about the port.

After U Deluxe, I sure hope this means we can play as Toad/Toadette in single player in Maker 2. Kinda sad Cat Toadette is just a photoshopped Cat Toad, but as long as we get them as playable characters!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This Toad moveset for Project M looks amazing, it's actually pretty close to how I envisioned him. From the propeller hat Up-B, to the Captain Toad forward smash, this moveset would represent Toad as a whole very well. With Ridley and King K. Rool already in Ultimate, Toad and Dixie Kong are the last remaining Nintendo All-Stars that truly deserve to be in the game, and it's a crime that Toad hasn't been playable since Melee. I support Toad for Smash, he would make for a great addition!

This excellent Toad mod gives me very good reason to keep playing Project M even thought Ultimate brought in Ridley, every veteran back, and nearly every past stage. Brawl's staying power in my opinion was its mods. I am really looking forward to using it. The good thing too, is that these mods are playable without hacking your Wii. I need to refresh myself though on how to add characters to the game though.

Exactly my thoughts as well - it's almost like Captain Toad and Toadette are the modern day Ice Climbers with the features showed in the DLC episodes (key tossing etc).

This is brilliant; however. Was hoping we'd see more TT in the near future and looks like we were rewarded! Anyone got a nickname for the new purple/blue Captain Toad? :p

Also looks like Blue Toad (in builder costume) and Toadette (in cat form) will be in Super Mario Maker 2 as well. Playable? Looks to be!

Today was very kind to Toad fans. Not only was DLC and co-op announced for Captain Toad, but both Toad and Toadette are going to be playable characters in Super Mario Maker 2.

It is really bizarre how Toad/Toadette/Captain Toad have so few people that care for their inclusion in Smash Bros. Maybe I should make an essay in support of Toad like I am planning to for Dixie Kong? However, that might be putting too much on my plate. It is really bizarre that those characters might never make it to the roster, and the "Smash bubble" (the people who do the most chatting about Smash Bros. on the internet) barely cares about them.

Still this is a fantastic development for Toad, Toadette, and Captain Toad. Their chances may be the bleakest of any Mario character going forward, but they cotinue to show just why they are Nintendo All-Stars (the only other two characters left that can even compare to it are Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee).

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Super Mario Maker 2 and Captain Toad DLC on top of New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe are showing me why I believe Toad (and Toadette) totally deserved to be in Smash as playable fighters. They were ROBBED! :ultdaisy::ultpiranha:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think that ship wreck level would make a nice smash stage, also yay cat toadette

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Happy to see Captain Toad of all games get some of Nintendo s patented year later DLC

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder if Super Mario 3D World is the only new style in Super Mario Maker 2. I had my heart set on Super Mario Bros. 2. Well, at least Toad and Toadette are playable... well, I hope so but I don’t think Nintendo confirmed it... and if so, hopefully they can be playable in all styles.

If a 3D Mario game can be translated into a 2D Mario game, I think it would be cool if future Super Mario Maker games could have new styles based on other 3D Mario games. They could come with their own unique power-up items.

Super Mario Bros. - Mystery Mushroom
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Super Leaf
Super Mario World - Cape Feather
New Super Mario Bros. U - Propeller Mushroom
Super Mario 3D World - Super Bell

Super Mario 64 - Wing Cap / Metal Cap / Vanish Cap (shake object to change power-up items)
Super Mario Sunshine - F.L.U.D.D. (uses Hover Nozzle and Squirt Nozzle)
Super Mario Galaxy - Luma (grants you Star Spin ability)
Super Mario Odyssey - Cappy (grants you Cap Throw and Capture abilities)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well if toad is playable im making nothing but toad ice levels

apart from some amiibo stuff if its back

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I always meant to get the Switch version of Treasure Tracker later down the road, but the amazing announcement of DLC made me go get it right away, to be ready once the DLC drops.

I have to say it just makes me happy to see Nintendo support the game so much, first they gave it a port on both the Switch AND the 3DS, then dedicated a bunch of Switch profile icons to it and now they are cranking out new content via the new co-op mode and proper new DLC levels.

Really goes to show that Nintendo is fond of the game and has faith in it, hopefully this will translate into a sequel, sometime in the future.

Last edited:

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
As of December 31st, 2018. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for the Switch has sold 1.05 million units. It’s officially a million seller game. I think this could be the reason why we got DLC for the Switch version.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I completely forgot about it myself, but the Famicom version of Wario's Woods was released on February 19, 1994 in Japan, so today marks the 25th anniversary of Toad's first, own game!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Today, some early concept art for TT has been posted, so I thought you might appreciate this, lads:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...t_artworks_from_captain_toad_treasure_tracker

And Sprixie was originally supposed to be in the game, at this point it's almost like they de-emphasize Super Mario 3D World on purpose.
This is brilliant - really does make it feel like Treasure Tracker was meant to be a much larger game in the concept stages. Also that Toad skull necklace design on Wingo certainly is an eye catcher! o.o

Makes me wonder how Nintendo would proceed onwards with the series in the future - could we see a larger game with hub worlds or still play into the story book-like tale of the original? I still think a return to Subcon with Captain Toad and Toadette would be a neat throwback as well considering how many elements of SMB2 can be found in Treasure Tracker alone.

Also maybe it's just me...but seeing the Sprixie princess beside Captain Toad makes me smile a bit as it reminds me quite a bit of Wario's Woods as well through Toad's original fairy companion. Maybe she was supposed to aid Captain Toad and Toadette? Or maybe the Sprixie Kingdom was supposed to play a bigger role in TT?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This is brilliant - really does make it feel like Treasure Tracker was meant to be a much larger game in the concept stages. Also that Toad skull necklace design on Wingo certainly is an eye catcher! o.o

Makes me wonder how Nintendo would proceed onwards with the series in the future - could we see a larger game with hub worlds or still play into the story book-like tale of the original? I still think a return to Subcon with Captain Toad and Toadette would be a neat throwback as well considering how many elements of SMB2 can be found in Treasure Tracker alone.

Also maybe it's just me...but seeing the Sprixie princess beside Captain Toad makes me smile a bit as it reminds me quite a bit of Wario's Woods as well through Toad's original fairy companion. Maybe she was supposed to aid Captain Toad and Toadette? Or maybe the Sprixie Kingdom was supposed to play a bigger role in TT?
No idea, but one thing for sure is that Koizumi will remain to provide more world expansion and lore, when he gets a chance to.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 2 (sequel, not another port) should bring back the Sprixie Princesses. They are practically the modernized Subcon fairies from Super Mario Bros. 2. Although Nintendo really needs to bring back Subcon or at least those rectangular hills with wavy patterns.

As for gameplay, I was thinking... what if they brought back those potions from Super Mario Bros. 2. I think it would be cool if the Subspace was somehow used to solve puzzles. Like... how Light World and Dark World worked in Zelda A Link to the Past... the swamp palace comes to mind. Stranger Things is fresh in my mind so I am picturing the Subspace as something like the Upside Down.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Anyone still remember the WarioWare Gold marketing stunt from last year, where Wario took over the eShop? I love that they highlighted Wario's Woods as well:

edf.PNG

Mind you that was more because it is still part of the Wario series as well (pretty much his equivalent of the DK Arcade era, along with Mario & Wario), then anything related to Toad, but it is cool that it got that little bit of spotlight at all plus I'm a Wario fan too so...

Also that border makes me wish Woods got a GBC version back in the day, I'm sure the NES version could have been ported.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I support. would love a full mindset just based off treasure tracker. and have a Minecart final smash like ZSS.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
May I be added to the support list? I've played Treasure Tracker very sparingly, but I'm totally down for any incarnation of Toad to join Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That was the only announcement that got me excited today!!

It was a fairly boring direct in my opinion.
I liked hearing a bit more on Yoshi’s crafted world.

I was really hoping to learn more about the newest Luigi’s Mansion!
It was a difficult direct if you are not easily into RPGs...they just kept coming

This excellent Toad mod gives me very good reason to keep playing Project M even thought Ultimate brought in Rid
...they cotinue to show just why they are Nintendo All-Stars (the only other two characters left that can even compare to it are Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee).
You were followed up by Arcadenik Arcadenik ... and still no mention of MEOWTH. The anime makes him something more than Dixie or Bandana Dee, c'mon

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I support. would love a full mindset just based off treasure tracker. and have a Minecart final smash like ZSS.
shall i add you to the support list?

May I be added to the support list? I've played Treasure Tracker very sparingly, but I'm totally down for any incarnation of Toad to join Smash.
done welcome aboard

You were followed up by Arcadenik Arcadenik ... and still no mention of MEOWTH. The anime makes him something more than Dixie or Bandana Dee, c'mon
now now lets not start comparing nintendo characters star status

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Can anyone recommend any other 3D puzzle Platformers similar to Captain Toad?

It's the only big studio example I cna think of but there's probably a bunch of indie ones.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wonder if Super Mario 3D World is the only new style in Super Mario Maker 2. I had my heart set on Super Mario Bros. 2. Well, at least Toad and Toadette are playable... well, I hope so but I don’t think Nintendo confirmed it... and if so, hopefully they can be playable in all styles.

If a 3D Mario game can be translated into a 2D Mario game, I think it would be cool if future Super Mario Maker games could have new styles based on other 3D Mario games. They could come with their own unique power-up items.

Super Mario Bros. - Mystery Mushroom
Super Mario Bros. 3 - Super Leaf
Super Mario World - Cape Feather
New Super Mario Bros. U - Propeller Mushroom
Super Mario 3D World - Super Bell

Super Mario 64 - Wing Cap / Metal Cap / Vanish Cap (shake object to change power-up items)
Super Mario Sunshine - F.L.U.D.D. (uses Hover Nozzle and Squirt Nozzle)
Super Mario Galaxy - Luma (grants you Star Spin ability)
Super Mario Odyssey - Cappy (grants you Cap Throw and Capture abilities)
64 would be tougher, methinks, seeing as that would require recreating simple sharp polygon textures. Maybe that one person that tried to do a multiplayer Super Mario 64 and got a C&D for their trouble could join the company to help with that.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Meowth has... recognizability over Dixie Kong(due to her being used less). There's kind of no point in comparing who is more of a Star. They all are regardless. So is Toad, by far. I wouldn't say Captain Toad made a similar mark as Toad, though. But that's at least 4 Nintendo All-Stars not playable in Smash. 5 if you want to also include Toadette among that list.

But let's be fair, Ash is way more recognizable than Red due to more exposure. Never mind a more clear personality, significantly more feats, and way more usage. The fact the anime debuted in some areas of the world before the games shouldn't make this that surprising either. Besides that, Red isn't the star of every game he's in. Sometimes he's just a short cameo at best. Just a Bonus Boss of sorts. He's still been the star of quite a few games. Meanwhile with the exception of one season(which was a spin-off season showing other characters), Ash has been the star of all the Pokemon seasons as is. And series too. I get why some might not like the lack of rotating protagonists of course. Or even like Ash. But it's not surprising who is more known due to this. To the point some actually thought they were using Ash's design in Brawl, not Red's. Though I will give a bit of credit due to the FireRed/LeafGreen designs being a little bit more anime-inspired, but also that those games had Islands based upon the Orange Islands, to the point that their purpose is to show off non-Kanto Pokemon(mostly Johto stuff) and where Lorelai lives... which is literally all the Orange Islands did. Kind of a neat usage of the Sevii Islands too. Unless you hate the anime, heh.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah I think this is an apples and oranges situation. And besides, they probably want to avoid too much Gen 1 oversaturation for now anyway, so Meowth or anyone else that's more known due to the anime won't immediately be considered until further notice, since the priority seems to firmly be on promotional Pokémon that plug current/upcoming releases.

As far as actual "all-stars" go, once the remaining ones do get in, there will be even more emphasis on B and C-listers than ever before, that I'm certain of.

Top Bottom