• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
yeah without as many modes and some not quite the same stuff to do seemed to run out pretty quickly, guess that was the price for "everyone is here"
I do miss the stadium mini games. It was fun launching Sandbag (Home Run Contest) and bombs (Target Blast) and breaking targets (Target Smash). I also liked breaking blocks (Trophy Rush). I also liked exploring around and defeating enemies (Smash Run).

But at least Classic Mode in Ultimate is much better now compared to Brawl and SSB4, especially Wii U version. I felt it was not repetitive and tedious this time, even with 70+ characters.

I really like the new Mii Fighter costumes but I wish there were more consolation prizes for characters who didn’t make the cut... and that goes double for characters from minor Nintendo franchises.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I do miss the stadium mini games. It was fun launching Sandbag (Home Run Contest) and bombs (Target Blast) and breaking targets (Target Smash). I also liked breaking blocks (Trophy Rush). I also liked exploring around and defeating enemies (Smash Run).

But at least Classic Mode in Ultimate is much better now compared to Brawl and SSB4, especially Wii U version. I felt it was not repetitive and tedious this time, even with 70+ characters.

I really like the new Mii Fighter costumes but I wish there were more consolation prizes for characters who didn’t make the cut... and that goes double for characters from minor Nintendo franchises.
Ultimate could've had so much for a stadium mode! It could've truly went the Ultimate route with the events.

We could've had board the platforms from 64, race to the finish from Melee (which is kinda here), and all the true stadium events like Break the targets, target blast, home run, etc... What we did get though... well, 100 Man Smash and Cruel Smash were never my favorite stadium events to be honest...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ultimate could've had so much for a stadium mode! It could've truly went the Ultimate route with the events.

We could've had board the platforms from 64, race to the finish from Melee (which is kinda here), and all the true stadium events like Break the targets, target blast, home run, etc... What we did get though... well, 100 Man Smash and Cruel Smash were never my favorite stadium events to be honest...
Well, the game was rushed. I think that it was just not feasible to figure out all the new stuff easily. Think about it; the way Sandbag works when hit by the Home-Run Bat isn't necessarily the same as playable characters. They also have to justify why you would want to play the game over 70 times to get every person done. And make even more challenges. In other words, it was low priority due to a lot needed to be done. It's a theory, but a lot of modes are also tied to challenges, so they don't get done nearly as much.

I do think it's silly so many are tied to challenges, as it limits the possibilities. But it is what it is. I hope we get Mode DLC. HRC doesn't need any challenges tied to it. It should be just for fun. Though if they want to do a DLC Challenge section, sure. But it needs to show up with all the modes to make sense. Get everybody done in HRC, beat everyone's break the targets, make a stage(or get all pieces, and so on). I would like to see a Custom Break The Targets stage, since it would be fun and would be a better idea than generic ones like Brawl. They also were great during 4 to grind out stuff, but otherwise feel pointless without customs to worry about. You already have a shop for most stuff, so grinding for spirits isn't that hard.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i agree with you on all (well i have a few nitpicks regarding classic) it would have been nice to see a few more mii fighter costumes for lesser nintendo franchises

RandomArceus

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0414-9599-1014
I'm all for it, but Peach has Toad as a shield. And yes, I know that Toad leaps out willingly, but wouldn't it just be weird to have the same character beating Peach up AND helping her? Just think about that, will you???

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm all for it, but Peach has Toad as a shield. And yes, I know that Toad leaps out willingly, but wouldn't it just be weird to have the same character beating Peach up AND helping her? Just think about that, will you???
There are more than two Toads. Even if that wouldn't be the case, we've got things like Chrom being everywhere and Palutena being both Pit's Guidance and a fighter

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
No weirder than :ultchrom: being summoned by :ultrobin: to beat himself to death and then Robin telling the defeated Chrom, whilst standing next to Chrom on the victory screen "How do you expect to protect Chrom when you can't even protect yourself". Ultimate's a mess

Comparatively multiple Toads make genuine sense.

Here’s a fun question to discuss!

If Captain Toad or Toad made it in as DLC what do you think their classic mode opponents would be like?

For Captain Toad I think it would be characters like Wario or King K Rool.

For Toad himself I feel like he would go against his fellow Mario companions with Peach being the last one to fight before Master Hand!

What ideas do you guys have?
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Shy Guy Miis,
Diddy Kong(because of the monkey he chased in Galaxy)
Kirby(red) that favours down B(representing Flaptor)
Giant Charizard/ridley (representing Draggadon)
Wario(just a fellow treasure hunter)
Gold Rosalina(Luma representing the star, gold Rosalina representing the treasure)
Final boss: Giant Falco(black) representing Wingo, lightning bolts on high.

Toad: Protect the Mushroom Kingdom.
Shy Guy Mii
Squirtle (representing Koopa Troopa)
Piranha Plant
K. Rool(representing Wart)
Koopalings and Jr
Wario (with tiny Pit and pink Yoshi as partners representing Wanda and Birdo. Bob-ombs on high)
Bowser and Giga Bowser

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We have many weird things in Smash.

For starters, you have Mario beating up Dr. Mario and they are both the same person in different clothes.

Not to mention Chrom being a playable fighter and still part of Robin’s Final Smash.

At least there are many Toads with red spots and blue vests in the Mario games so that’s canon.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We have many weird things in Smash.

For starters, you have Mario beating up Dr. Mario and they are both the same person in different clothes.

Not to mention Chrom being a playable fighter and still part of Robin’s Final Smash.

At least there are many Toads with red spots and blue vests in the Mario games so that’s canon.
didnt miyamoto once say that the dr mario games were the only ones that werent canon so technically theyre from different worlds? of course in melee we had the same incarnation of link at two different ages so the point still stands

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

If Captain Toad or Toad made it in as DLC what do you think their classic mode opponents would be like?

For Toad himself I feel like he would go against his fellow Mario companions with Peach being the last one to fight before Master Hand!

Toad’s Route: It is my turn!

Toad’s Classic Mode is about him battling post-Melee Mario characters who got in Smash before he did.

Round 1 - Wario in WarioWare, Inc.
Round 2 - Rosalina & Luma in Mario Galaxy
Round 3 - 3 Mii Brawlers (Toad costume, Super Mushroom hat, 1-Up Mushroom hat) in Mushroom Kingdom II
Round 4 - Bowser Jr. & Koopalings in Mushroom Kingdom U
Round 5 - Daisy in Mushroomy Kingdom
Round 6 - Piranha Plant in Mushroom Kingdom
Bonus Game
Final Round - Giga Bowser in Final Destination

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well if everyone else is heres my classic route

toad's could be called treasure tracker and he fights characters known for gathering treasure
olimar
wario
kirby
link
pit
villager
bonus game
giga bowser

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I'm sure you guys discussed this already but:

Captain Toad and Toadette are listed under their own subseries section within the Mario spirits. Think it'd mean they may rep their own franchise if they got in?
This caught my eye instantly as well the moment I evolved Toad's spirit. I really do hope that the Captain Toad series expands in the near future - it's quite a unique platformer/puzzle hybrid and could certainly use more recognition for this. While it may not be Wario's Woods - would be brilliant to see the CT series at least grow (bonus points if it ever does reference WW one day). We could very well see a new WarioWare/Yoshi situation arise from this.

Very adorable comic as well by the way for Christmas! It really does warm the heart of this Toad supporter as well - just seeing all those characters sharing the Christmas cheer is perfect. Hopefully one day, all these characters can truly join in the fray one way or another to truly make an ultimate Smash bros. Regardless of what naysayers may say - it still strikes me odd that Toad especially is not present on the roster as a playable character in Ultimate; however, for now, this comic will satisfy! ^^

Would be hilarious if Captain Toad's classic mode involved the coin battle mode into some of his battles. Collect a certain amount of coins vs Wario before the time limit or something along those lines. :p Make Ridley a midboss and the final boss a giant King Dedede for maximum TT love. ;)

As for Toad, perhaps it can be similar to Toon Link or DK's classic mode where he has a partner CPU character. Not the brightest CPU of course, but this is where Peach fits the bill. Toad's goal would be to help the Peach CPU survive throughout the mode. Afterall, he is Peach's loyal retainer - taking hits for her all these years, I'd imagine that he would want to make sure he can finish his own adventure while keeping an eye on a certain princess. Final battle would be Bowser of course, and perhaps a Giga Bowser battle (where CPU Mario and Luigi suddenly spawn to assist Toad and Peach) for a final fight.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Captain Toad: Treasure AVOIDER.

Some of this stuff is pretty insane!

Fanart Friday!

toad_s_bazooka_by_patorik_d4pxgam-pre.jpg

Fanart by Patorik

Currently there's a lot of talk about trying to get SMRPG revitalized on Smashboards...and I immedietly remembered this little gem...what if he DIDN'T forget his bazooka this time round?

Also a progress update on King Bob Gaming's Toad(and Waluigi) mod:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Two Mario characters that should have gotten in Smash before Piranha Plant. :(
i think just about every mario fan feels that about someone whether or not the like the look of pp

piranha plant kind of feels like sakurai was trying too hard to be surprising, it worked with pp not with any of the others

LH LH

Smash Cadet
You can add me to the supporter list. I’m a noob so I’m not sure whether I add myself but my thoughts on captain toad are this. I really want him in but the thing is he already makes a cameo but this doesn’t deconfirm him since he isn’t on stage he’s in the background of New Donk City. The only other reason against him is that he can’t jump. Every other moveset I don’t really think can work since it just seems to op or annoying if you were to go up against. The moveset I made slightly alters the controls for a usual smash character but it’s within good reason. So I think gamexplains idea can be used to which is him using his bag as a catapult. Maybe you hold down x and a directional input you can launch yourself and you can pull off aerials without pressing x. Obviously the downside is that you don’t have that much height and time to pull it off but it’s one of the only ideas out there while also staying true to character which in this case references his heavy backpack. His neutral b and down b are based off of gamexplains too with the down b being basically the same. His down b is a map which flashes on the screen to reference an item. To put it in your backpack you press down b but to throw it you press b. There is only one item on screen at a time so unless the flashing stops you can’t use it again and to prevent spamming it will have a mechanic implemented so that it’ll flash less the more you activate and leave it. You can not activate it if you have a item in your hand. To pick it up you press b. To get it out of your backpack to throw, press b while you are not near an item or when you don’t have one in your hand so it’ll be able to go out of your backpack and to throw. Use down b to put it back in. The max amount of items is 3. The less you have the higher you jump, the more you have the less you jump. 3 would mean you have to resort to the catapult strategy. His side b would be a minecart like wario’s bike. His up b would be a Ladder which is chargeable and it spawns in front of him. His final Smash could be the mighty dragon breathing fire all over the stage

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You can add me to the supporter list. I’m a noob so I’m not sure whether I add myself but my thoughts on captain toad are this. I really want him in but the thing is he already makes a cameo but this doesn’t deconfirm him since he isn’t on stage he’s in the background of New Donk City. The only other reason against him is that he can’t jump. Every other moveset I don’t really think can work since it just seems to op or annoying if you were to go up against. The moveset I made slightly alters the controls for a usual smash character but it’s within good reason. So I think gamexplains idea can be used to which is him using his bag as a catapult. Maybe you hold down x and a directional input you can launch yourself and you can pull off aerials without pressing x. Obviously the downside is that you don’t have that much height and time to pull it off but it’s one of the only ideas out there while also staying true to character which in this case references his heavy backpack. His neutral b and down b are based off of gamexplains too with the down b being basically the same. His down b is a map which flashes on the screen to reference an item. To put it in your backpack you press down b but to throw it you press b. There is only one item on screen at a time so unless the flashing stops you can’t use it again and to prevent spamming it will have a mechanic implemented so that it’ll flash less the more you activate and leave it. You can not activate it if you have a item in your hand. To pick it up you press b. To get it out of your backpack to throw, press b while you are not near an item or when you don’t have one in your hand so it’ll be able to go out of your backpack and to throw. Use down b to put it back in. The max amount of items is 3. The less you have the higher you jump, the more you have the less you jump. 3 would mean you have to resort to the catapult strategy. His side b would be a minecart like wario’s bike. His up b would be a Ladder which is chargeable and it spawns in front of him. His final Smash could be the mighty dragon breathing fire all over the stage
youre added welcome to the brigade

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Currently there's a lot of talk about trying to get SMRPG revitalized on Smashboards...and I immedietly remembered this little gem...what if he DIDN'T forget his bazooka this time round?
Yes, it would be nice to have a SMRPG remake or sequel where Toad is a new party member with a bazooka.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well look at this Toad brigade. Looks like you can still play as Blue Toad in New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe!
Wait... what does this mean?

"you can't see Yellow Toad and Blue Toad together"

Mario + Luigi + Toadette + Yellow Toad = possible
Mario + Luigi + Toadette + Blue Toad = possible
Mario + Luigi + Yellow Toad + Blue Toad = impossible?

Oh, and adding to the confusion... Yellow Toad and Blue Toad are simply named "Toad" in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (still annoyed that this doesn't have New Super Mario Bros. Wii included).

So, really, if Toad ever gets in Smash as a playable character, he should represent himself (Super Mario Bros. 2), and Blue Toad (Super Mario 3D World) and Yellow Toad (New Super Mario Bros. games). I also suspect Captain Toad is Toad himself... so why not have Toad represent Captain Toad too?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wait... what does this mean?

"you can't see Yellow Toad and Blue Toad together"

Mario + Luigi + Toadette + Yellow Toad = possible
Mario + Luigi + Toadette + Blue Toad = possible
Mario + Luigi + Yellow Toad + Blue Toad = impossible?

Oh, and adding to the confusion... Yellow Toad and Blue Toad are simply named "Toad" in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (still annoyed that this doesn't have New Super Mario Bros. Wii included).

So, really, if Toad ever gets in Smash as a playable character, he should represent himself (Super Mario Bros. 2), and Blue Toad (Super Mario 3D World) and Yellow Toad (New Super Mario Bros. games). I also suspect Captain Toad is Toad himself... so why not have Toad represent Captain Toad too?
well thats always the idea ive had that whichever toad we get would be all encompassing

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
well thats always the idea ive had that whichever toad we get would be all encompassing
That’s what I want too.

Ideal scenario would be:

Toad and Captain Toad are alt costumes of each other... you know, like Wario Land Wario and WarioWare Wario.

Toadette is an Echo Fighter of Toad. She also has Archivist Toadette as an alt.

They use moves from SMB2, NSMB games, 3D World, and Treasure Tracker. Toadette has a different Final Smash where she, I guess, transforms into Peachette and makes everyone asleep as edible mushrooms spawn everywhere.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That’s what I want too.

Ideal scenario would be:

Toad and Captain Toad are alt costumes of each other... you know, like Wario Land Wario and WarioWare Wario.

Toadette is an Echo Fighter of Toad. She also has Archivist Toadette as an alt.

They use moves from SMB2, NSMB games, 3D World, and Treasure Tracker. Toadette has a different Final Smash where she, I guess, transforms into Peachette and makes everyone asleep as edible mushrooms spawn everywhere.
ideal indeed

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Fan art Friday! Since I missed last week's I have two this week:

Some cute pixel animation art by Jonroru

and keeping with the Pixel Toad theme:

A whole heap of creative Toads by Probertson (warning; potential epilsepy inducing background on this artist's page)
Which is your favourite new design? I quite like Police Toad, Earth Toad, Ryu Toad and Cake Toad myself.

WAIT....SLIME TOAD?!? COULD THIS BE THE 'BRAVE' CHARACTER?
No. It's not.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad got his first alternate costume in Mario Tennis Aces and it's adorable.
It reminds me of Toad's outfit from Mario Tennis 64. It's not identical but still... it's nice.

1549133444500.png

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hi Toad Brigade, it's my Birthday!

To celebrate(and as it's Fanart Friday) I did a doodle of what I'd like to see most in the event of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 2:

Captain-Toad-vsNabbit.png

By all means keep Wingo as the main antagonist, but I'd like to see Captain Toad have missions where he must compete with Nabbit for who can collect the most coins. Nabbit is far faster than Captain Toad, but the Captain can use all manner of traps to slow Nabbit down, such as Pull Switches that make the environment harder for Nabbit to traverse, turning valves that may shift the land where Nabbit is upside down slowing him down more, and speed boosters that will make the Captain keep up with Nabbit.

Whoever collects the most treasure wins at the end of the level. Nabbit cannot pluck either, giving the Captain one advantage.

Also I'd like to see the cash we collect being used for SOMETHING, even if it's just aping Mario Odyssey with alt costumes for the Captain(like a Toadsworth costume, a regular Toad outfit, maybe Toad's tennis outfit, a penguin suit, maybe even obscure references such as Katsini's top hat and tails from the SNES Wario's Woods etc) and little neat treasures for him to decorate the Starshroom with. Such as a wanted posters of Wario Woods opponents, Toad's Go Kart, maybe a SMB2 potion, etc.

I've been following King Bob for a while now, and his Toad moveset is incredible. Apparently releasing in Spring, this is probably the best Toad mod I've ever seen. Hopefully he gets some proper victory poses done for the boy too because aside from that, this is a really REALLY fun moveset!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

To celebrate(and as it's Fanart Friday) I did a doodle of what I'd like to see most in the event of Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 2:

View attachment 190935

By all means keep Wingo as the main antagonist, but I'd like to see Captain Toad have missions where he must compete with Nabbit for who can collect the most coins. Nabbit is far faster than Captain Toad, but the Captain can use all manner of traps to slow Nabbit down, such as Pull Switches that make the environment harder for Nabbit to traverse, turning valves that may shift the land where Nabbit is upside down slowing him down more, and speed boosters that will make the Captain keep up with Nabbit.

Whoever collects the most treasure wins at the end of the level. Nabbit cannot pluck either, giving the Captain one advantage.

Also I'd like to see the cash we collect being used for SOMETHING, even if it's just aping Mario Odyssey with alt costumes for the Captain(like a Toadsworth costume, a regular Toad outfit, maybe Toad's tennis outfit, a penguin suit, maybe even obscure references such as Katsini's top hat and tails from the SNES Wario's Woods etc) and little neat treasures for him to decorate the Starshroom with. Such as a wanted posters of Wario Woods opponents, Toad's Go Kart, maybe a SMB2 potion, etc.

I've been following King Bob for a while now, and his Toad moveset is incredible. Apparently releasing in Spring, this is probably the best Toad mod I've ever seen. Hopefully he gets some proper victory poses done for the boy too because aside from that, this is a really REALLY fun moveset!
Happy birthday! And Nabbit would be a fun challenger. He'd have some tricks up his sleeve too, but Captaim Toad could use them against him by using the enviromment. Like Nabbit would roll Urchins, Bob-Ombs and other traps out of his sack, with Captain being able to launch them back with switches, walls and turnips.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
This Toad moveset for Project M looks amazing, it's actually pretty close to how I envisioned him. From the propeller hat Up-B, to the Captain Toad forward smash, this moveset would represent Toad as a whole very well. With Ridley and King K. Rool already in Ultimate, Toad and Dixie Kong are the last remaining Nintendo All-Stars that truly deserve to be in the game, and it's a crime that Toad hasn't been playable since Melee. I support Toad for Smash, he would make for a great addition!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice

View attachment 190935

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Fantastic work on Captain Toad and Nabbit! And I love that idea! Very creative. And sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

FancySmash

Smash Lord

View attachment 190935

Happy Birthday to you! I must say, if Nabbit and Captain Toad aren't careful, another Mario series treasure hunter might swoop in and steal it from right under both their noses...

:ultwario:

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 190935

Very late Happy Birthday wishes but hope you had a wonderful day! :D

These are some fantastic ideas for a Treasure Tracker 2 as one of the main issues I had with the original TT was a wish to spend our treasures/coins on some unlockables or perhaps achievements. :p Maybe the Captain prefers hoarding his gold instead, but it would be brilliant to unlock rewards over the course of the game (perhaps we could even have one of the Toad Brigade members play the role as a shop keeper as well for this instance or even introduce Toadsworth here for such a role?). Heck, perhaps even a treasure collect-a-thon much like the older Wario Land/Kirby SuperStar titles where Captain Toad can collect artifacts of classic Nintendo items? I too feel we could definitely play up to the treasure collecting aspect of this title!

Also Nabbit being introduced as a rival would be quite interesting indeed. They're both small and quick little characters - so I think having little races with the Captain and Nabbit would be interesting. To have the player try to outsmart the faster Nabbit would certainly be fitting for the Captain as he has to think about his surroundings as opposed to using the simple instinct to jump like other Mario characters.

Also that Project M mod video was beautiful! That's a lot of dedication to making Toad and including so many references to the Toads in general over the course of the Mario series with the moveset. Definitely looking forward to its release in Spring!

Top Bottom