• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That actually would've been WAYYY more hype than what we got. lol Smash is going off the rails from the original vision might as well start adding other media characters now too.
It wouldn't really do anything on tarnishing Smash's "vision" or "reputation", if that's what you're going after. After all, to the general audience is only getting more interesting characters to play as from, that is.

I don't think the series will be ever going back to it's "original" vision now that we've crossed plenty boundaries and many of the speculation-based "rules" or "patterns" got brutally broken to pieces as over time. Probably it wasn't ever gonna be the same since Smash 4, compared to Brawl had to offer in means of expanding the roster...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I personally would just suggets tagging Toad on Peach to become this duo character, if they so don't want to go full-road on making Toad a fighter, while he's apparently part of Peach's moveset more actively. I'd love to take it as an alternative end for Toad's current predicament in Smash ATM.
Ugh... that would send the message that Toad isn’t worthy enough to be a stand-alone character that he has to tag along with Peach...

And I really don’t think Peach fans would appreciate Toad dragging her down from a stand-alone character to a duo character.

I wish they would just replace Toad with Toadsworth so Toad can be a playable fighter in his own right.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Toad will likely only be playable via Captain Toad and/or Toadette being his alt. The normal Toad's will stay with Peach/Daisy forever most likely.

I love that Toad fights in this game though, it's such a great change that should have been there from the beginning.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ugh... that would send the message that Toad isn’t worthy enough to be a stand-alone character that he has to tag along with Peach...

And I really don’t think Peach fans would appreciate Toad dragging her down from a stand-alone character to a duo character.

I wish they would just replace Toad with Toadsworth so Toad can be a playable fighter in his own right.
yeah it be a real shame if thats all we got

tough i have to say theres was something satisfying about having toad headbut people into the ground while playing as peach, so close yet so far

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
First thing I did?

10 stock match on New Donk to see the boy. He's indeed there after the third rotation. His model does look good but it's such a waste.

I then created Toad in Mii Brawler. Currently don't have his actual hat so he's making do with the Super Mushroom hat. Mini Toad for now!

I've been winning a fair few matches with Peach being used exclusively as a counter and throw character too. Still not the same but kinda eases the disappointment.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
First thing I did?

10 stock match on New Donk to see the boy. He's indeed there after the third rotation. His model does look good but it's such a waste.

I then created Toad in Mii Brawler. Currently don't have his actual hat so he's making do with the Super Mushroom hat. Mini Toad for now!

I've been winning a fair few matches with Peach being used exclusively as a counter and throw character too. Still not the same but kinda eases the disappointment.
Peach has been my main since Melee cause she’s the closest I can get to Toad. And I REALLY enjoy her this time around. Toad has more dignity and the counter FEELS more powerful? Dunno if that’s true but I have actually KO’ed a few people with the Toad counter! And seeing Toad as part of the grabs makes me use the grabs more often now and I didn’t grab too often before... so Toad’ll teach me to start using grabs! I love seeing him out and pummeling and headbutting people off the stage!

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I think the dream is dead for Toad in Ultimate. I don't know if I expect any first party characters at all.
See you all in 10 years when Smash 6 is on the horizon. By then, they'll have no more "all star" characters left to add before they move on to the third parties and shill characters, Toad and Dixie will be their only choices... unless they suddenly come out with a slew of new IP and Sakurai drops his thing against non Triforce holding Zelda characters.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I think the dream is dead for Toad in Ultimate. I don't know if I expect any first party characters at all.
See you all in 10 years when Smash 6 is on the horizon. By then, they'll have no more "all star" characters left to add before they move on to the third parties and shill characters, Toad and Dixie will be their only choices... unless they suddenly come out with a slew of new IP and Sakurai drops his thing against non Triforce holding Zelda characters.
Yeah I lost hope a long time ago.
Guess we’ll have to wait for speculation to pick back up again when the next Smash is released.

But it’ll be the same as it always is. We all get stoked and excited and then Waluigi and Pauline will be the confirmed Mario newcomers with Wise Wisterwood from Paper Mario as the DLC Mario fighter.

This round for Toad really REALLY crushed my optimism.
When Sakurai can see potential in the Piranha Plant and add that as a fighter, but not Toad? I am livid and so sad and my hopes for the little guy are just completely crushed. :/

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know why dont we change the subject to something other than our usual doom and gloom

now with different victory themes for characters from the same series on the rise, do you all think our toad buddies should have his own theme or the usual one?

heres how id like to see it, toad the usual mario victory theme, captain toad treasure tracker level complete, toadette in an homage to her debut the victory theme from double dash

FancySmash

Smash Lord
As a Bandana Dee supporter, I share you guys' pain. The fact that Piranha Plant got in before both our boys... well, the years of people calling Toad and Bandana Dee generic kinda hurts a little more, especially with DLC looking like no first parties.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
As a Bandana Dee supporter, I share you guys' pain. The fact that Piranha Plant got in before both our boys... well, the years of people calling Toad and Bandana Dee generic kinda hurts a little more, especially with DLC looking like no first parties.
As it has been since even the Nintendo 64 days via Yoshi and the Pokemon, the generic argument continues to be ridiculous and Piranha Plant certainly cements this. It's unfortunate Bandana Dee shared the same fate, was rooting for the little guy as well. The Kirby series does appear to still have a lot of content in relation to the older Kirby games that Sakurai worked on, so hopefully the next title can give some oft the newer games some representation (along with a certain spear-wielding hero to join the battles).

you know why dont we change the subject to something other than our usual doom and gloom

now with different victory themes for characters from the same series on the rise, do you all think our toad buddies should have his own theme or the usual one?

heres how id like to see it, toad the usual mario victory theme, captain toad treasure tracker level complete, toadette in an homage to her debut the victory theme from double dash
Definitely expecting the Captain Toad victory jingle if Captain makes it one day. On the other hand...it would be amazing if we could get this theme into the game in some way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53taJgBM4z4&feature=youtu.be. The victory jingle of Wario's Woods has always been a favourite of mine and I feel it's pretty fitting for our little mushroom friend (though would have to be shortened quite a bit). Some WW music in general would be nice.

Overall, I hope that Sakurai realizes one day that it was a mistake to not add Toad after all these years. It's nice to see Toad plays a bit more of an active role in Peach's kit with his new punching animations and throws (and people were saying Toad can't punch as an argument?). Regardless, this role may have doomed Toad to being apart of Peach's moveset unless it were to be revamped (which seems unlikely at this point). There are ways around it of course including Toadsworth or just having two Toads (three if Blue Toad still exists) in the game regardless. At the same time, I agree that adding more Toad into her kit would likely just deviate her kit from the original Smash Peach so I don't think it would be fair for Peach mains to see their main change to a duo character.

Toad is a consistent member of the Mario crew, playable several times over the years in the platformers, has two of his own titles (one even boasting Captain Toad's own name) and a frequent sight in the spin-offs whether playable or as a host. At this rate, it's wrong to have a Mario not feature a Toad in any shape or form. Toad is a mascot-like character in the Mario series and whether it's just him smiling and waving, or even being playable - Toad is definitely a core member of the series. The only thing he lacks...is a loud support base for Smash. Many Toad supporters have left over the years accepting his fate as Peach's shield, while many others just simply don't care it seems. It's unfortunate, but I do hope he gets into the title one day (Captain Toad and Toadette could very well be the driving forces assuming Nintendo keeps up the momentum with these two Toads).

Jr. getting into Smash was fair game as he along with the Koopalings have become major faces to the series over the years. Though I still cannot feel comfortable with Rosalina and Piranha Plant getting in over Toad - both have neat kits, but it still does not sit right with me that the bonus playable character in SM3DW got in over one of the four base playable characters of that very game while Piranha Plant just goes to show that Smash is fair game for any generic enemy character (yes, including generic species like the Toads). Toad has his fans, and it really feels like Sakurai is ignoring this fanbase.

Though for the positives - we have this to look forward to. 1. Captain Toad and Toadette gaining more relevance in the future. It's not out of the realm of possibilities for a sequel to Treasure Tracker to happen considering how well the game performed. 2. Wario's Woods is not as forgotten as we originally viewed it as Nintendo still brings it back as Virtual Console content even for the Switch.

Though alas...it's honestly tough to say with Sakurai. Been a Smash fan since the 64 days, and have visited the Smashboards even since the Melee days. It's come to the point where Smash Ultimate could very well be my final game in terms of speculation before I move on. Times have changed, and while I will always cherish my moments with Smash Bros. - Toad is my very last wish as a newcomer for the series at this rate. Ultimate has given me almost everything I have desired to see - it even returned my old Melee main Pichu as well. I definitely feel Ultimate will be another title to truly enjoy for years to come! Whether Toad got in or not, I'm proud of seeing how dedicated his supporters are as we have overcome very dark times (to the point Sakurai even posted a pic of Peach holding Toad in front of Link's arrow prior to Rosalina' reveal in Smash4). We're a tough group, and I hope that the group gets bigger one day as Toads gain even more popularity. We have new rivals (some bigger than ever before), but it's good to have those to add a bit of spice to speculation!

I will still be around for the timebeing, but I just wanted to say it's been an honour being apart of the Toad Brigade for these past several years folks! :) And fortunately, many of us seem to now have Ultimate in our hands now to enjoy as well!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well at least every argument against both of them have been put to bed

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm always for giving every fighter something unique, and that includes victory tunes. I was a little Salty that Metaknight was the only one to get a unique one in Brawl. Much like Alternate Costumes and Wario though, it seems like they're slowly but surely branching out.

For Toad, I think any of these would work great:
Super Mario Bros. - Bowser Defeated Tune ( since you usually see Toad after hearing it )
Super Mario Bros. 2 - Boss Defeated Tune
New Super Mario Bros. Flagpole Fanfare ( Since Toads were playable in that )
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker - Level Complete

If they wanted to do something like Cloud and give him a tune that loops, I also think the Wario's Woods Round Clear tune would be nice. Or his theme from Super Mario Kart.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
World of Light spoilers

So I played World of Light and I finally found Toadette’s spirit. In the battle against Toadette’s spirit, you battle a pink female Villager and a male Mii Brawler wearing Toad costume.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
World of Light spoilers

So I played World of Light and I finally found Toadette’s spirit. In the battle against Toadette’s spirit, you battle a pink female Villager and a male Mii Brawler wearing Toad costume.
yeah that was fun

evolved my toad spirit into a captain toad spirit and is currently one of strongest

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
you nee to go to the level up section in the collection and if they can evolve when you select them itll ask you if you want to evolve them
Oh okay. I will try that now. Thank you.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Other than the lack of a playable Toad, Meowth, and Dixie Kong, I’m satisfied with the game. I just finished Classic Mode with everyone.

I really don’t know what will happen in Smash 6. I just hope that Toad or Captain Toad finally gets in as a playable fighter. It’s really frustrating that Sakurai keeps snubbing him. I think that Sakurai will probably add Waluigi and another bizarre generic Mario enemy like Cheep Cheep or Chain Chomp in Smash 6.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Other than the lack of a playable Toad, Meowth, and Dixie Kong, I’m satisfied with the game. I just finished Classic Mode with everyone.

I really don’t know what will happen in Smash 6. I just hope that Toad or Captain Toad finally gets in as a playable fighter. It’s really frustrating that Sakurai keeps snubbing him. I think that Sakurai will probably add Waluigi and another bizarre generic Mario enemy like Cheep Cheep or Chain Chomp in Smash 6.
I'm curious as to how Sakurai will follow up with the next title after Ultimate as well (assuming he remains the lead developer).

Character cuts seems inevitable as I'd imagine including all characters in the Smash series is no easy feat (as well as being one of Ultimate's own key features). Though then again, who knows if Smash will end up with DLC slots being made for previous fighters in the future. I too hope Toad gets in - hopefully Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 3 announces right in time for that too. :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just a reminder; Tomorrow is Toad and Captain Toad's day in "Rate Their Chances" so feel free to shout about your love for Toad in that thread tomorrow. We get drowned out a lot as a fanbase, and it'd be nice to see more positive rankings to get across why Toad is important or special to you.

Got Toad as my Spirit(currently regular). Amuses me greatly that my username is now my World of Light main.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm curious as to how Sakurai will follow up with the next title after Ultimate as well (assuming he remains the lead developer).

Character cuts seems inevitable as I'd imagine including all characters in the Smash series is no easy feat (as well as being one of Ultimate's own key features). Though then again, who knows if Smash will end up with DLC slots being made for previous fighters in the future. I too hope Toad gets in - hopefully Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 3 announces right in time for that too. :p
well he did say they probably wouldnt be able to have all the veterans again so somebodies gonna go

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
well he did say they probably wouldnt be able to have all the veterans again so somebodies gonna go
I'd vote Dr. Mario. Replace him with a newcomer Mario character who dabbles in puzzle games perhaps.

Not Yoshi, he's already in.

Not Wanda either. Or Birdo. Do the protagonist of that game first, you jerk.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd vote Dr. Mario. Replace him with a newcomer Mario character who dabbles in puzzle games perhaps.

Not Yoshi, he's already in.

Not Wanda either. Or Birdo. Do the protagonist of that game first, you jerk.
im with you give doc the boot

and daisy

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Cloud. He gotta go. What’s the point of having Cloud if Square Enix won’t let Smash have more stuff from Final Fantasy? I mean, seriously? All we got were Mallow and Geno as spirits.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Only if Mario gets the tornado back as a special move and his stomp dair.
That’s the only reason I play Dr. Mario... he’s based on the original Smash/Melee Mario.

I’m also starting to prefer Young Link over Link because I don’t like the new remote bombs and I’m trying to get used to the lack of Hookshot that he has in the past four Smash games.

I guess that’s what the semi clones are for... for people who prefer the original moveset when the original character gets a new moveset.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That’s the only reason I play Dr. Mario... he’s based on the original Smash/Melee Mario.

I’m also starting to prefer Young Link over Link because I don’t like the new remote bombs and I’m trying to get used to the lack of Hookshot that he has in the past four Smash games.

I guess that’s what the semi clones are for... for people who prefer the original moveset when the original character gets a new moveset.
Pretty much, although Mario never had a stomp before in Smash.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

This seems like a fair enough trade off, I suppose.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Cloud. He gotta go. What’s the point of having Cloud if Square Enix won’t let Smash have more stuff from Final Fantasy? I mean, seriously? All we got were Mallow and Geno as spirits.
it is quite strange how we get barely anything for him, perhaps SE have some strict rules when it comes to their characters like you cant have stuff from outside 7 without a character from outside 7

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Can I request an artwork of Bandana Dee and Captain Toad comforting each other after their loss with "We're not generic enemies" as a caption?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Toad will likely only be playable via Captain Toad and/or Toadette being his alt. The normal Toad's will stay with Peach/Daisy forever most likely.

I love that Toad fights in this game though, it's such a great change that should have been there from the beginning.
I agree. I think the normal Toad is unfortunately not ever getting in especially with how both Waluigi and Geno exploded during 2018. I think the Captain form is his best shot because the character has a quirk to it (can't jump) that might tickle Sakurai's creative fancy if he immediately does not rule out the character due to said quirk. It really depends though whether Captain Toad will get another game of his own though. Otherwise, he may just simply be relegated to a side character in the 3D Marios and thus never be in condieration for playable status.

As it has been since even the Nintendo 64 days via Yoshi and the Pokemon, the generic argument continues to be ridiculous and Piranha Plant certainly cements this. It's unfortunate Bandana Dee shared the same fate, was rooting for the little guy as well. The Kirby series does appear to still have a lot of content in relation to the older Kirby games that Sakurai worked on, so hopefully the next title can give some oft the newer games some representation (along with a certain spear-wielding hero to join the battles).

Definitely expecting the Captain Toad victory jingle if Captain makes it one day. On the other hand...it would be amazing if we could get this theme into the game in some way - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53taJgBM4z4&feature=youtu.be. The victory jingle of Wario's Woods has always been a favourite of mine and I feel it's pretty fitting for our little mushroom friend (though would have to be shortened quite a bit). Some WW music in general would be nice.

Overall, I hope that Sakurai realizes one day that it was a mistake to not add Toad after all these years. It's nice to see Toad plays a bit more of an active role in Peach's kit with his new punching animations and throws (and people were saying Toad can't punch as an argument?). Regardless, this role may have doomed Toad to being apart of Peach's moveset unless it were to be revamped (which seems unlikely at this point). There are ways around it of course including Toadsworth or just having two Toads (three if Blue Toad still exists) in the game regardless. At the same time, I agree that adding more Toad into her kit would likely just deviate her kit from the original Smash Peach so I don't think it would be fair for Peach mains to see their main change to a duo character.

Toad is a consistent member of the Mario crew, playable several times over the years in the platformers, has two of his own titles (one even boasting Captain Toad's own name) and a frequent sight in the spin-offs whether playable or as a host. At this rate, it's wrong to have a Mario not feature a Toad in any shape or form. Toad is a mascot-like character in the Mario series and whether it's just him smiling and waving, or even being playable - Toad is definitely a core member of the series. The only thing he lacks...is a loud support base for Smash. Many Toad supporters have left over the years accepting his fate as Peach's shield, while many others just simply don't care it seems. It's unfortunate, but I do hope he gets into the title one day (Captain Toad and Toadette could very well be the driving forces assuming Nintendo keeps up the momentum with these two Toads).

Jr. getting into Smash was fair game as he along with the Koopalings have become major faces to the series over the years. Though I still cannot feel comfortable with Rosalina and Piranha Plant getting in over Toad - both have neat kits, but it still does not sit right with me that the bonus playable character in SM3DW got in over one of the four base playable characters of that very game while Piranha Plant just goes to show that Smash is fair game for any generic enemy character (yes, including generic species like the Toads). Toad has his fans, and it really feels like Sakurai is ignoring this fanbase.

Though for the positives - we have this to look forward to. 1. Captain Toad and Toadette gaining more relevance in the future. It's not out of the realm of possibilities for a sequel to Treasure Tracker to happen considering how well the game performed. 2. Wario's Woods is not as forgotten as we originally viewed it as Nintendo still brings it back as Virtual Console content even for the Switch.

Though alas...it's honestly tough to say with Sakurai. Been a Smash fan since the 64 days, and have visited the Smashboards even since the Melee days. It's come to the point where Smash Ultimate could very well be my final game in terms of speculation before I move on. Times have changed, and while I will always cherish my moments with Smash Bros. - Toad is my very last wish as a newcomer for the series at this rate. Ultimate has given me almost everything I have desired to see - it even returned my old Melee main Pichu as well. I definitely feel Ultimate will be another title to truly enjoy for years to come! Whether Toad got in or not, I'm proud of seeing how dedicated his supporters are as we have overcome very dark times (to the point Sakurai even posted a pic of Peach holding Toad in front of Link's arrow prior to Rosalina' reveal in Smash4). We're a tough group, and I hope that the group gets bigger one day as Toads gain even more popularity. We have new rivals (some bigger than ever before), but it's good to have those to add a bit of spice to speculation!

I will still be around for the timebeing, but I just wanted to say it's been an honour being apart of the Toad Brigade for these past several years folks! :) And fortunately, many of us seem to now have Ultimate in our hands now to enjoy as well!
A very fantastic post. I agree with basically everything you wrote. Toad is among the very last of the Nintendo all-stars not yet playable in Smash Bros. (the only other character left with as much standing and prominence in their own series is Dixie Kong and arguably Bandana Dee).

I feel the same way about this game. This is very likely my last round for speculation, and with DLC taking a "surprise third-party character" turn, I am going to be a lot less active during the DLC speculation point for this game. I also agree with you that Ultimate gave me nearly everything I ever wanted to see with Smash Bros.

The re-release of Captain Toad for both the Switch and the 3DS was certainly a bright spot for the character, as is Toadette being promoted to a playable character in the mainline series. Hopefully, there will continue to be positive developments for Toad.

The Toad fanbase may not be up to the level Waluigi and Geno are at now, but I can definitely say for sure that anyone that wants to see Toad in Smash Bros. truly does love and appreciate the character. The Mii costume and his enhance role as part of Peach's moveset at least means he can be part of Ultimate in someway.

Toad is a legendary character. I am personally still hoping we get to see a new Wario's Woods some day.

Toad for Super Smash Bros.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This is very likely my last round for speculation, and with DLC taking a "surprise third-party character" turn, I am going to be a lot less active during the DLC speculation point for this game.
itd be more surprising if he included toad than just about any 3rd party character

SUPER SMASH TOAD

Smash Rookie
Two things:

1) Has anyone found a toad spirit in World of Light? I just completed the story and saved *most* spirits, but could not find one for Toad (I found Toadette though). Did I miss him somewhere?

2) For some reason I recently have more hope for Toad/Captain Toad as DLC. I *hopefully* think people are reading too much into Reggie's statement from the Game Awards, and that all DLC will be 'new to the series' (which is true, as all old characters have returned.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Two things:

1) Has anyone found a toad spirit in World of Light? I just completed the story and saved *most* spirits, but could not find one for Toad (I found Toadette though). Did I miss him somewhere?

2) For some reason I recently have more hope for Toad/Captain Toad as DLC. I *hopefully* think people are reading too much into Reggie's statement from the Game Awards, and that all DLC will be 'new to the series' (which is true, as all old characters have returned.
I don't have in it WoL but I did get the Toad spirit by scanning his Mii. It's a rank 1 Grab primary that enhances to Rank 3 Grab Primary Capt. Toad. Capt. Toad has Item gravitation.

Top Bottom