• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Sorry for the double post, but I just put forward the question if anyone had seen the good Captain over in the general thread.

According to vaanrose, he shows up on the THIRD rotation of New Donk City meaning you'll never actually see him on two minute matches or small stock matches...

...that's actually pretty lame. So he's basically an easter egg minor cameo that you'll never see for 90% of matches.

Someone really needs to get an official statement from Sakurai about his thoughts on Toad because this is getting ridiculous.
well thats disappointing, ill barely ever see him the way i play smash, oh well at least hes still there

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sorry for the double post, but I just put forward the question if anyone had seen the good Captain over in the general thread.

According to vaanrose, he shows up on the THIRD rotation of New Donk City meaning you'll never actually see him on two minute matches or small stock matches...

...that's actually pretty lame. So he's basically an easter egg minor cameo that you'll never see for 90% of matches.

Someone really needs to get an official statement from Sakurai about his thoughts on Toad because this is getting ridiculous.
What do you know...

I mean, it's still a cameo, but he wasn't even mentioned by Sakurai in any form, and then is just kept "very hidden" in the game itself... alright, I guess.

Probably the "good" part is that I don't have to see him much, as to remind me of how just shafted Captain got to be in Smash at large, and then relegates him to "sideline" role not even worthy of a mention, despite being rather promoted around in Switch's library and UI...

Geez Sakurai, what did this mushroom retainer ever do to you?

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
If somehow toad was DLC and brought a lot of music with him? Do you think that Wario's Woods music would be classified as a Mario song or a Wario song? You think you'd be clear-cut that it's a Mario song, but ever since I found out that the Super Mario World stage from melee is technically a Yoshi stage, and therefore cannot have the Super Mario World medley on it as music I have to wonder.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If somehow toad was DLC and brought a lot of music with him? Do you think that Wario's Woods music would be classified as a Mario song or a Wario song? You think you'd be clear-cut that it's a Mario song, but ever since I found out that the Super Mario World stage from melee is technically a Yoshi stage, and therefore cannot have the Super Mario World medley on it as music I have to wonder.
well id imagine if toad was under the mario series then the music would be on the mario song list i dont see him being a wario character

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Those chubby Toads are absolutely adorable haha! But I agree too, getting more Toads like Captain Toad actively helping out in Mario's journey and even going off on his own adventures is definitely a step in the right direction!

Here's a question for you Toad fans - how do you all feel about Captain Toad being playable in future Mario spin-offs? Many of us adore Toad as a classic playable character, but would you feel bothered by the presence of both Captain Toad and Toad as playable reps (Toadette too of course!)? The more Toads the merrier? Maybe Captain Toad can finally be a solution for whenever Toad has to sit on the sidelines as a host *stares at Super Mario Party*? Maybe get the Toad Brigade involved too to expand their characters later on (see Koopalings)?

I personally would play both Captain or Toad (and both if that was the option) when provided. They are quite similar, so some might find it redundant to have both on a roster; however, is this really the biggest offender when Metal Mario, Cat Peach, etc also bloat up the bigger rosters in spin-offs? Personally, I'd like to see Captain continue to appear in order to make his name bigger in the future!

The biggest issue with Toad is that Nintendo really seems hesitant to expand upon him to be more than a stand-in for his race especially in later years (despite break-through moments like SMB2 and WW). Even SM3DW has Toad coloured blue akin to his sprite in SMB2, but that doesn't help much with newer fans recognizing him as the same singular Toad from Mario Kart/etc. That's not to say there's room for improvement, but I do wonder if Captain Toad can help with this issue. He seems like an attempt to make "the main Toad with red spots" stand out more through his appearance and characteristics - him starring in Treasure Tracker alongside Toadette (Toad's original duo partner) only seems to strengthen this view in my eyes. Anyways, was curious as to how you all felt about this!

This is a tough case tbh. Wario's Woods can easily be identified as a Wario title; however, the inclusion of Toad as a starring protagonist as well as Birdo as his companion as recognizable Mario faces (Birdo in later years) are the only contradictions here. Regardless, I would still view WW music to be Wario-based, but if Toad was ever to be playable with a WW-inspired kit, then I would say it would lean to being more of the Mario side.

Tbh, it's hard to really say much about the differences with the Mario and Yoshi series in Smash as both are intertwined so often via events/modes/etc.

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I would love Captain Toad to be playable. Heck, I wanted him as Mario Kart 8 DLC (and apparently so did the dev team...) He has so much potential, especially considering that few Mario characters get the kind of character progression he has.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I would love Captain Toad to be playable. Heck, I wanted him as Mario Kart 8 DLC (and apparently so did the dev team...) He has so much potential, especially considering that few Mario characters get the kind of character progression he has.
Honestly I hope we can get the good Captain into Mario Kart! Was kinda hoping he'd be DLC for MK8 as well - I'll admit. :p This series probably would work well for Captain Toad as a starting point considering jumps aren't a huge issue here. Perhaps Mario Kart 9 might be provide a shot if DLC is over for MK8 (haven't followed up on news for this title lately).

That alongside with an Archivist Toadette alt for herself as well. At this rate, perhaps Toad Brigade Kart (along with Classic Toad, Toadsworth, Bucken Berry and Ala Gold) might be in order haha.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It really is odd that he wasn't actually. Especially since he's one of the few Mario characters to have a Kart ready to go:

kisspng-captain-toad-treasure-tracker-wii-u-nintendo-swit-captain-toad-5b75165aef7b88.68487090...png

Also I found it a bit odd that we got like...9 recolours of Yoshi and Shy Guy and yet considering Toad is apparently the generic one we didn't get different coloured Toads? Just a bit of an odd choice. Blue Toad is pretty popular in his own right(certainly more than the different coloured Shy Guys) so I find it's exclusion a little bizarre.

T
Here's a question for you Toad fans - how do you all feel about Captain Toad being playable in future Mario spin-offs? Many of us adore Toad as a classic playable character, but would you feel bothered by the presence of both Captain Toad and Toad as playable reps (Toadette too of course!)? The more Toads the merrier? Maybe Captain Toad can finally be a solution for whenever Toad has to sit on the sidelines as a host *stares at Super Mario Party*? Maybe get the Toad Brigade involved too to expand their characters later on (see Koopalings)?
I'd be for it actually. Originally I felt we only needed one of Captain Toad or classic Toad, but with the likes of Mario Kart including Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach and other far more redundant individuals than two canonically different Toads; why the heck not?

My most wanted game to see him in right now, aside from Smash Bros., is Mario Tennis Aces as I feel this roster is doing Mario right by adding Pauline, Diddy Kong and Birdo. I'd settle for an alt costume like how they're doing classic Mario for Mario or the Yoshi recolours, but Captain Toad should be included in some way with so many Toad already on the court performing all the different functions.

All I need now is the Captain, Nabbit and another shock inclusion like E. Gadd and it'll have beaten Mario Kart 8 Deluxe hands down for me. That roster had some odd choices for me...
Dear god why are there four playable Peachs and Marios? Why is there Baby Rosalina and Baby Daisy when Baby DK and Baby Wario are actually canon? Genuinely; where the **** is Diddy? No Nabbit? No Pauline as a promotional character? No Cappy? Why is Captain Falcon not a guest character; you know the guy who ACTUALLY RACES over three Animal Crossings(I like AC but it's a bit much), Link who shouldn't even know what a motorcycle is or Inklings who...aren't awful choices but make less sense thematically than Falcon or even Fox McCloud as a racer?

HMMM...this is a tricky one. Wario is in the title and technically Mario's nowhere to be seen...Toad's the protagonist and he's definitely a Mario character as is Birdo but would Wario's Woods count as a Wario game as this was during the time when Wario and Mario regularly were seen together?

On that note; is Wanda a Mario or Wario character? She's been Toad's helper in Wario's Woods but she's also been the protagonist and helped Mario out in Mario and Wario...two games Wario's appeared as the antagonist in but has his name in the title.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm still pretending there's one special individual Toad that's been a friend of Mario since the original SMB games, and is somehow able to change the colors of his spots, so that every game with a playable Toad in it is actually him, and i'm telling myself he and Captain Toad are one in the same, so I kind of would be a little bothered by it. Though it wouldn't really break the illusion for me since there's like, four Marios and Peaches in the latest Mario Kart... but then, the multiple Marios and Peaches bothers me too.

I'd rather Captain Toad just be treated the same as Luigi wearing his vacuum. He only puts on the backpack and head lamp when he's on a treasure tracking mission, the same way Luigi grabs his Poltergust and Gameboo when he's hunting ghosts, but in the other Mario games, they're just their normal selves.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
the more toads to play as the better i say, we had three marios and three peaches in the last mario kart so why not three toads

SUPER SMASH TOAD

Smash Rookie
Though I am avoiding spoilers, from reading above, it appears that Captain Toad still appears on NDC, and there are several Toad spirits (cool, but definitely hurts the case we built for him).

That being said, and though the chance of Toad being DLC in some capacity seems slim (dependent on if spirits can be DLC), I do think having Nintendo give Sakurai characters to choose from might still help our cause. Thoughts?

Similar to the Chrom playable and Robin's FS, is this something we could see for Toad in the near future?

PS: I'm definitely avoiding the 'DLC placeholder leak' so please consider it when responding.

Phil Parent

Smash Rookie
IMO, this is the most probable DLC. First party, has his own games plus shows up in all the Sports games, been around forever, using the "Everybody knows Piranha Plant" logic, well, everybody knows the Toadster. And he has a possible moveset, contrary to the likes of Goomba.

In the same vein, we could get a Koopa Troopa. People would groan just like they did for Piranha Plant, but there's no denying, he's a legend too. Moveset is more difficult than Toad though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That being said, and though the chance of Toad being DLC in some capacity seems slim (dependent on if spirits can be DLC), I do think having Nintendo give Sakurai characters to choose from might still help our cause. Thoughts?
i can believe toad was on nintendo's list of characters to chose from, but i can also believe that sakurai is avoiding him like the plague

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Wario’s Woods for NES Online in December! Guess Nintendo hasn’t forgotten after all.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It’s depressing knowing that both Toad and Captain Toad are spirits in the base game and Piranha Plant is not a spirit in the base game.

To me, that means spirits deconfirms characters. Fighter spirits don’t count.

Both Dixie and Dixie & Kiddy are also spirits so Dixie has no options left just like Toad.

Meowth is a spirit. Arbok is a spirit. Weezing is a spirit. Even Wobbuffet is a spirit. But they are all separate individual spirits in the base game. So I’m still holding onto hope for Team Rocket Meowth from Pokémon Let’s Go. As far as I know, there’s no Team Rocket spirit (it’s a spirit of Jessie, James, Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing together).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It’s depressing knowing that both Toad and Captain Toad are spirits in the base game and Piranha Plant is not a spirit in the base game.

To me, that means spirits deconfirms characters. Fighter spirits don’t count.

Both Dixie and Dixie & Kiddy are also spirits so Dixie has no options left just like Toad.

Meowth is a spirit. Arbok is a spirit. Weezing is a spirit. Even Wobbuffet is a spirit. But they are all separate individual spirits in the base game. So I’m still holding onto hope for Team Rocket Meowth from Pokémon Let’s Go. As far as I know, there’s no Team Rocket spirit (it’s a spirit of Jessie, James, Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing together).
well if its true (and im not saying it is) theres virtually no one left for dlc apart from boring third parties

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
well if its true (and im not saying it is) theres virtually no one left for dlc apart from boring third parties
Well, there are some third party characters I wouldn’t mind seeing in Smash such as:

• Amaterasu (Okami)
  • Arthur (Ghosts ‘n Goblins)
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Bill Rizer (Contra)
  • Billy Lee (Double Dragon)
  • Crono (Chrono Trigger)
  • Quote (Cave Story)
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
  • Slime (Dragon Quest)
  • Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury, The King of Fighters)
  • Wonder Boy
As far as I know, they aren’t spirits in the base game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, there are some third party characters I wouldn’t mind seeing in Smash such as:

• Amaterasu (Okami)
  • Arthur (Ghosts ‘n Goblins)
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Bill Rizer (Contra)
  • Billy Lee (Double Dragon)
  • Crono (Chrono Trigger)
  • Quote (Cave Story)
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
  • Slime (Dragon Quest)
  • Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury, The King of Fighters)
  • Wonder Boy
As far as I know, they aren’t spirits in the base game.
well i was being paranoid i havent had much luck with third party characters recently so i dont fancy the odds of the ones i like

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
well i was being paranoid i havent had much luck with third party characters recently so i dont fancy the odds of the ones i like
Paranoid? I am paranoid that one of the DLC fighters is going to be Raccoon Mario or Tanooki Mario.

I just looked through the spirits. I see the spirits for Fox Luigi and Flying Squirrel Toad but no spirits for Raccoon Mario or Tanooki Mario.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Paranoid? I am paranoid that one of the DLC fighters is going to be Raccoon Mario or Tanooki Mario.

I just looked through the spirits. I see the spirits for Fox Luigi and Flying Squirrel Toad but no spirits for Raccoon Mario or Tanooki Mario.
well after mario kart 8 it wouldnt surprise me

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Raccoon Mario is pretty unlikely with the Super Leaf returning as an item. Raccoon or Tanooki Mario picking up a super leaf would cause some weird graphical confusion. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Raccoon Mario is pretty unlikely with the Super Leaf returning as an item. Raccoon or Tanooki Mario picking up a super leaf would cause some weird graphical confusion. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.
if that was the case why would we get both the fire flower and the fire ball for mario

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
You never know. I mean, we got Piranha Plant! Maybe Raccoon Mario isn't getting in since that's literally Mario with raccoon ears and tail... he looks exactly the same as Mario after he picks up the Super Leaf item. But Tanooki Mario visually looks very different from Mario and Raccoon Mario. I wouldn't put it past Sakurai. I mean, we have three Links and three Samuses, why not three Marios?

fogbadge fogbadge
I don't see a spirit for the "fire ball". I do see the spirit for Hothead. I am assuming that's the "fire ball".

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad
You never know. I mean, we got Piranha Plant! Maybe Raccoon Mario isn't getting in since that's literally Mario with raccoon ears and tail... he looks exactly the same as Mario after he picks up the Super Leaf item. But Tanooki Mario visually looks very different from Mario and Raccoon Mario. I wouldn't put it past Sakurai. I mean, we have three Links and three Samuses, why not three Marios?
It's more that putting the raccoon ears onto the Tanooki suit is a visual mess. Does he get two tails and two sets of ears? Sakurai makes some odd decisions, but I genuinely feel the Super Leaf will stop Tanooki or Raccoon Mario from getting in.

You know, it's very odd that Toad each and every game has been given a 'SORTA PLAYABLE' role.

Don't believe me?

Melee, obviously we recieved Peach with the Toad counter:

4df3b25f9fdd2e665a5a21691cb3f77c.jpg

Brawl kept Toad in his role, but also was indeed playable...if you moved super fast in Masterpieces:

Toad-playable-in-Brawl.png

Smash For of course gave us the closest thing to a playable fighter at the time with the Mii outfit:
Smash For playable Toad.jpg

and now we have Toad himself getting more active on the battlefield in Peach(and Daisy's) movesets now capable of contributing massively to the Princesses KO count.
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 10.17.17 AM.png

Surely it's time to just make Toad totally playable already? This is the slowest evolution of any Nintendo character in Smash; Constantly changing, but never quite being realised fully.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
fogbadge fogbadge
I don't see a spirit for the "fire ball". I do see the spirit for Hothead. I am assuming that's the "fire ball".
ok you are more paranoid than me

It's more that putting the raccoon ears onto the Tanooki suit is a visual mess. Does he get two tails and two sets of ears? Sakurai makes some odd decisions, but I genuinely feel the Super Leaf will stop Tanooki or Raccoon Mario from getting in.

You know, it's very odd that Toad each and every game has been given a 'SORTA PLAYABLE' role.

Don't believe me?

View attachment 181911

Brawl kept Toad in his role, but also was indeed playable...if you moved super fast in Masterpieces:

View attachment 181912

Smash For of course gave us the closest thing to a playable fighter at the time with the Mii outfit:
View attachment 181913

and now we have Toad himself getting more active on the battlefield in Peach(and Daisy's) movesets now capable of contributing massively to the Princesses KO count.View attachment 181914

Surely it's time to just make Toad totally playable already? This is the slowest evolution of any Nintendo character in Smash; Constantly changing, but never quite being realised fully.
you know full well sakurai's too busy filling the roster with whatever third party character takes his fancy

Last edited:

SUPER SMASH TOAD

Smash Rookie
Like I mentioned earlier, I am avoiding spoilers, but I did see the mention that Toad is a spirit and that Piranha Plant is not. Not just to grasp at straws, but what if this was because Sakurai knew he wanted Piranha Plant playable early on. Similarly, what if Nintendo came to Sakurai with their characters after spirits were implemented. Since PP seems like Sakurai's choice, I can imagine he is given the special treatment relative to the other 5 DLC characters.

Likewise, this would mirror how lucas and mewtwo had trophies in Smash4 before being announced as DLC. Thoughts?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Like I mentioned earlier, I am avoiding spoilers, but I did see the mention that Toad is a spirit and that Piranha Plant is not. Not just to grasp at straws, but what if this was because Sakurai knew he wanted Piranha Plant playable early on. Similarly, what if Nintendo came to Sakurai with their characters after spirits were implemented. Since PP seems like Sakurai's choice, I can imagine he is given the special treatment relative to the other 5 DLC characters.

Likewise, this would mirror how lucas and mewtwo had trophies in Smash4 before being announced as DLC. Thoughts?

Certainly a good point. Piranha Plant SCREAMS Sakurai, but I'm guessing he must have handed over the DLC decisions to Nintendo themselves...at current nearly every major Nintendo character is a spirit making it seem that if they ARE now deconfirmed, Nintendo is in the weird position of choosing other peoples IPs to try and push their DLC sales exclusively. I have a hard time seeing 5 third parties, or even 4 third parties and a new Fire Emblem character.

I hope the first DLC character gets announced soon, we have so many questions!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I think Reggie more or less suggested all of our newcomers are going to be third-party.
UUUGGHH.
Well the only positive part about the DLC being third-party characters is that it’ll save me money cause I have no desire to buy characters that I have never heard of. I have NO idea who Joker from Persona 5 is. Honestly for a second I was terrified it was Joker from the DC Universe. Lol.
I didn’t but any DLC for Smash 4 except the stages and the Toad costume.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So Joker from Persona 5 has the first Fighter's Pass. He looks pretty interesting. I am not shocked or upset at this inclusion like I was with Piranha Plant.

Team Rocket James Joker.gif

I think that all the DLC fighters except Piranha Plant are probably going to be third-party characters. I also think that all the third-party characters except an unknown Square Enix character are probably going to be from unrepresented third-party companies.

Atlus: Joker from Persona 5
Square Enix: ???
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie
SNK: Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters
Koei Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Huh. I knew holding back on the Fighter Pass was a good idea.

A character with even less connection to Nintendo than Cloud...

...I think I finally hate a newcomer choice entirely.

Edit: Nevermind, he apparently is on a Nintendo console. Game released last week.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
and to think i was 50% joking when i said sakurai was too busy filling the roster with whatever third party character took his fancy

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Huh. I knew holding back on the Fighter Pass was a good idea.

A character with even less connection to Nintendo than Cloud...

...I think I finally hate a newcomer choice entirely.

Edit: Nevermind, he apparently is on a Nintendo console. Game released last week.
I’m getting the Fighters Pass regardless. I just want to have ALL playable fighters for completion’s sake whether I like them or not. That’s what I did with Smash 4 DLC too.

So... Joker has even less connection to Nintendo than Cloud? Hmm... interesting. And he has a game on a Nintendo console that was released last week? Well, Sakurai did say he would add third party characters to Smash as long as they had at least one game on a Nintendo console.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Don't believe me?

View attachment 181911

View attachment 181912

View attachment 181913

and now we have Toad himself getting more active on the battlefield in Peach(and Daisy's) movesets now capable of contributing massively to the Princesses KO count.View attachment 181914

I personally would just suggets tagging Toad on Peach to become this duo character, if they so don't want to go full-road on making Toad a fighter, while he's apparently part of Peach's moveset more actively. I'd love to take it as an alternative end for Toad's current predicament in Smash ATM.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I’m getting the Fighters Pass regardless. I just want to have ALL playable fighters for completion’s sake whether I like them or not. That’s what I did with Smash 4 DLC too.

So... Joker has even less connection to Nintendo than Cloud? Hmm... interesting. And he has a game on a Nintendo console that was released last week? Well, Sakurai did say he would add third party characters to Smash as long as they had at least one game on a Nintendo console.
Can’t relate.
I will only be purchasing a DLC character if it’s Decidueye or Urbosa. And I will buy every DLC character if Toad is announced as a character (cause then I won’t be salty about all the other characters lol.)
I am not gonna spend money on characters I don’t know or care about. I don’t care about completion enough to do that. Haha.

Toad/Captain Toad as DLC is the ONLY thing that will get me excited and happy enough to buy the rest of the DLC.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I personally would just suggets tagging Toad on Peach to become this duo character, if they so don't want to go full-road on making Toad a fighter, while he's apparently part of Peach's moveset more actively. I'd love to take it as an alternative end for Toad's current predicament in Smash ATM.

A Duck Hunt-style duo, huh? Sure, I'd take it over the current reality.
Would finally give me a reason to play as Peach, if nothing else. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
UUUGGHH.
Well the only positive part about the DLC being third-party characters is that it’ll save me money cause I have no desire to buy characters that I have never heard of. I have NO idea who Joker from Persona 5 is. Honestly for a second I was terrified it was Joker from the DC Universe. Lol.
I didn’t but any DLC for Smash 4 except the stages and the Toad costume.
That actually would've been WAYYY more hype than what we got. lol Smash is going off the rails from the original vision might as well start adding other media characters now too.

Top Bottom