• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
In all fairness I've heard from WildChill that most Daisy fans seem fine with her using Toad and having edible daisies because at least they can play as her.
I guess I'm in the minority on that one. The decision to lazily tack a Toad onto Daisy as opposed to something like a Sarasaland enemy is something that'll probably always irk me, even as someone who wanted both in Smash. Ultimately (HA!), it's a "take what you can get" scenario for me.
And like Chronobound said, atleast Toad's gone from unwilling meatshield to "come at me bro" bodyguard.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Piranha Plant gives me hope for characters who are stage elements and fighters at the same time. Chrom gives me hope for characters that are part of other's movesets.

Maybe if we can combine them...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Alfonzo is in charge of wondering why he didn't give you this hope already.
Right there along with Dr. Mario who's confused by where the "Smash needs puzzle game characters" crowd is coming from.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I honestly still think people are sleeping on Captain Toad's popularity during the ballot period.

Of the top requested first party characters, the only ones who have not had some sort of representation are Bandanna Dee, Wonder Red, and Captain Toad. (Interestingly, Wonderful 101 content is in the game; Wonder Blue is a Spirit, but no sign of Wonder Red yet.)

Source

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I honestly still think people are sleeping on Captain Toad's popularity during the ballot period.

Of the top requested first party characters, the only ones who have not had some sort of representation are Bandanna Dee, Wonder Red, and Captain Toad. (Interestingly, Wonderful 101 content is in the game; Wonder Blue is a Spirit, but no sign of Wonder Red yet.)

Source
I could see him near the front of the line if spirts = not playable. But I personally think Spirits are not a death sentence.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I could see him near the front of the line if spirts = not playable. But I personally think Spirits are not a death sentence.
I'd consider it to be a disconfirmation if it's the base form of a character. Since DLC was decided ahead of time, why would you make a spirit of a character that would also be playable later? At that point, you would have the ability to pair up a fighter with their own spirit, which doesn't make any sense.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'd consider it to be a disconfirmation if it's the base form of a character. Since DLC was decided ahead of time, why would you make a spirit of a character that would also be playable later? At that point, you would have the ability to pair up a fighter with their own spirit, which doesn't make any sense.
It's a lose lose situation. It would be very suspicious for a highly requested characters spirit to be absent, but they obviously can't add them as a fighter spirit either, as it spoils the upcoming character. So there's no way of knowing until a spirit gets a character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Source
actually they have found a wonder red spirit

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
Sakurai just tweeted that Nintendo has selected all of the DLC fighters for Ultimate instead of Sakurai himself. This honestly might be great news since Nintendo has been pushing Captain Toad a lot throughout the past few years. I’m still not expecting him to make it but this has made me feel like it’s a little bit more likely now.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai just tweeted that Nintendo has selected all of the DLC fighters for Ultimate instead of Sakurai himself. This honestly might be great news since Nintendo has been pushing Captain Toad a lot throughout the past few years. I’m still not expecting him to make it but this has made me feel like it’s a little bit more likely now.
Nintendo selected the DLC fighters instead of Sakurai?

Uh-oh... I wonder who Nintendo picked.

I hope Nintendo makes Sakurai add Toad or Captain Toad. God knows Sakurai wouldn't choose Toad unless Nintendo told him to.

Who else are currently relevant? Team Rocket Meowth? It's in Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Ooo!
I like that news actually!
So maybe it won’t focus on 3rd party too heavily?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nintendo selected the DLC fighters instead of Sakurai?

Uh-oh... I wonder who Nintendo picked.

I hope Nintendo makes Sakurai add Toad or Captain Toad. God knows Sakurai wouldn't choose Toad unless Nintendo told him to.

Who else are currently relevant? Team Rocket Meowth? It's in Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.
I would have said Toadette would have been a dark horse to make it in, however, Pirahna Plant chomped on the chances for a Mario newcomer not named Geno happening. Nintendo has been putting Toadette in a lot of major roles over the last four years. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Super Mario Run, Super Mario Odyssey, and now New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. She was even referred to as a "rising star" in the NSMBUDX trailer.

However, because we got Pirahna Plant, I doubt we will be getting another Mario newcomer as DLC (aside from possibly Geno). Its a shame.

All versions of Toad seem to have the most horrific luck when it comes to Smash Bros.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
However, because we got Pirahna Plant, I doubt we will be getting another Mario newcomer as DLC (aside from possibly Geno). Its a shame.
We got two Fire Emblem characters as DLC in SSB4. Why not two Mario characters as DLC in Ultimate?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Source
Excuse me for my foolishness but what representation did Paper Mario have? Is he a Spirit?

I would have said Toadette would have been a dark horse to make it in, however, Pirahna Plant chomped on the chances for a Mario newcomer not named Geno happening. Nintendo has been putting Toadette in a lot of major roles over the last four years. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Super Mario Run, Super Mario Odyssey, and now New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. She was even referred to as a "rising star" in the NSMBUDX trailer.

All versions of Toad seem to have the most horrific luck when it comes to Smash Bros.
To be honest, if Nintendo are really the ones deciding, I actually think that may be a point in Toad's favour and possibly against Geno, as Nintendo have been advertising Captain Toad Treasure Tracker in Odyssey this year, pushing forward with Toadette and using Toad(classic) as the mascot of the mobile app. It's not a guarantee of course as who knows who Nintendo will deem worth a push forward, but Toad on paper has a good standing with Nintendo themselves.

Although Sakurai says he'll see if he can come up with a moveset around the choices they make so he does still have some say which may scupper that decision. Sakurai doesn't seem to be overly keen on getting them cute little mushroom men in as playables, which is a shame since he already has a working fighter model thanks to Peach's modifications.

Alternatively it might be Nintendo just researched who the most wanted characters were for Smash in which case as much as we love Toad, he's doomed thanks to the vocal rival fanbases of Waluigi, Geno and to a lesser extent Paper Mario.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Excuse me for my foolishness but what representation did Paper Mario have? Is he a Spirit?

To be honest, if Nintendo are really the ones deciding, I actually think that may be a point in Toad's favour and possibly against Geno, as Nintendo have been advertising Captain Toad Treasure Tracker in Odyssey this year, pushing forward with Toadette and using Toad(classic) as the mascot of the mobile app. It's not a guarantee of course as who knows who Nintendo will deem worth a push forward, but Toad on paper has a good standing with Nintendo themselves.

Although Sakurai says he'll see if he can come up with a moveset around the choices they make so he does still have some say which may scupper that decision. Sakurai doesn't seem to be overly keen on getting them cute little mushroom men in as playables, which is a shame since he already has a working fighter model thanks to Peach's modifications.

Alternatively it might be Nintendo just researched who the most wanted characters were for Smash in which case as much as we love Toad, he's doomed thanks to the vocal rival fanbases of Waluigi, Geno and to a lesser extent Paper Mario.
Yes, Paper Mario is a Spirit.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Toadette cannot happen either because she is one of the hosts for that treasure hunt minigame for the spirits in Ultimate. I forgot about that when I was writing the post about her possible DLC prospects if it were not for Pirahna Plant.

cybersai

Smash Ace
With how much Nintendo is pushing Toadette lately as a star, I think she and Captain Toad as alts for each is very likely. Spirits do not matter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok so nintendo could very well have chosen their own favourite characters (which i believe includes toad) for dlc so i think that helps

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder if Nintendo told Sakurai to add Piranha Plant... or was that all Sakurai?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I wonder if Nintendo told Sakurai to add Piranha Plant... or was that all Sakurai?
Sakurai would be my bet.

Wait...is that why Nintendo have stepped in to choose DLC?

Nintendo: "Sakurai, we love what you've done with the Smash Bros. series thus far; adding K. Rool, Ridley, Inklings and Isabelle was a great idea; all popular characters of their respective series. We want to push more popular characters as DLC. What you got for us?"

Sakurai: *showcases Piranha Plant*

Nintendo: *sweating profusely* "I think we'd like to have a say in the DLC from now on."

I love the plant, siliest newcomer to date, but I can see Nintendo trying to reign Sakurai in a little after that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really don't know what to expect from Nintendo. We have spent almost 20 years trying to predict Sakurai, with varying degrees of accuracy and inaccuracy... but this is the first time Nintendo will choose playable fighters.

I wonder how Nintendo will choose characters. Maybe to promote current and upcoming games? Well, I am going to assume that Nintendo will choose with that mindset and predict characters.

My predictions (in alphabetical order)
  1. Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64 Classic Edition)
  2. Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
  3. Euden (Dragalia Lost)
  4. Meltan or Melmetal or anyone but Meowth (Pokémon Let's Go) :sadeyes:
  5. Nabbit or Peachette or Toadette or anyone but Toad (New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Toadette cannot happen either because she is one of the hosts for that treasure hunt minigame for the spirits in Ultimate. I forgot about that when I was writing the post about her possible DLC prospects if it were not for Pirahna Plant.
Boy, do I wish that Chrom doing his double job would give us some comfort but... I doubt it.

I really don't know what to expect from Nintendo. We have spent almost 20 years trying to predict Sakurai, with varying degrees of accuracy and inaccuracy... but this is the first time Nintendo will choose playable fighters.

I wonder how Nintendo will choose characters. Maybe to promote current and upcoming games? Well, I am going to assume that Nintendo will choose with that mindset and predict characters.

My predictions (in alphabetical order)
  1. Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64 Classic Edition)
  2. Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
  3. Euden (Dragalia Lost)
  4. Meltan or Melmetal or anyone but Meowth (Pokémon Let's Go) :sadeyes:
  5. Nabbit or Peachette or Toadette or anyone but Toad (New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe) :rolleyes:
It's weird too, because it's probably gonna be likely that Nintendo will be doing a second wave - yet I'm sure none of the characters would include ones I'd be excited about, since most of them are done with and full. Poor Dixie...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Everyone's very down, but honestly the Toads made a big splash this year on social media between Stormy Daniel's Toad Tweet and Toadette accidentally creating the Bowsette phenonimum. With how popular the super crown has become it wouldn't surprise me to see Toadette put in an appearance to advertise New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe.

I'm feeling pretty good about either regular Toad or the Captain too but I guess we'll see exactly what sort of DLC Nintendo wants.

Personally my thoughts are:
  • The inevitable Three House character we all know is coming. Hopefully it's the one that isn't pure swordsman. Variety is nice.
  • Pokemon rep; either it's going to be Meltan or it'll be Eevee somehow despite being a Pokeball. Outside chance of Meowth(he does make a notable appearance and is popular), but Eevee is currently being heavily promoted for Let's Go.
  • Rex to advertise Xenoblade 2's continuing DLC
  • Bandana Dee(because he's the number one in Japan and also Kirby Star Allies still has ongoing support)
  • Toad/Toadette/Captain Toad(one of, but Toadette will at worse be an alt or echo of the boys if not the main). Any of the mushrooms could be used to advertise either Captain Toad Treasure Tracker(they can still sell more copies) or any number of Mario spinoff game that is on the horizon...and we know from previous experience there's loads.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Personally my thoughts are:
  • The inevitable Three House character we all know is coming. Hopefully it's the one that isn't pure swordsman. Variety is nice.
  • Pokemon rep; either it's going to be Meltan or it'll be Eevee somehow despite being a Pokeball. Outside chance of Meowth(he does make a notable appearance and is popular), but Eevee is currently being heavily promoted for Let's Go.
  • Rex to advertise Xenoblade 2's continuing DLC
  • Bandana Dee(because he's the number one in Japan and also Kirby Star Allies still has ongoing support)
  • Toad/Toadette/Captain Toad(one of, but Toadette will at worse be an alt or echo of the boys if not the main). Any of the mushrooms could be used to advertise either Captain Toad Treasure Tracker(they can still sell more copies) or any number of Mario spinoff game that is on the horizon...and we know from previous experience there's loads.
err xenoblade 2' dlc is over, i dont think three houses is invitable as it was the smash team that wanted so many fire emblem characters nintendo themselves might be more restrained

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm feeling pretty good about either regular Toad or the Captain too but I guess we'll see exactly what sort of DLC Nintendo wants.
I am not feeling good about Toad and Meowth.

I fear that they will probably choose Waluigi or Geno or another generic Mario enemy or even Toadette/Peachette over Toad/CaptainToad... and if they decide to put in Team Rocket to further advertise Pokémon Let’s Go, it probably will be just Ekans and Koffing as a team instead of Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing team. I’d be salty if Meowth finally makes the roster and it’s only to stay in the background with Jessie and James like the Pokémon Trainer.

I am 99% certain Rex is not getting in. Sakurai did say he did not make the cut so instead he will be Mii costume DLC.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

I fear that they will probably choose Waluigi or Geno or another generic Mario enemy or even Toadette/Peachette over Toad/CaptainToad... and if they decide to put in Team Rocket to further advertise Pokémon Let’s Go, it probably will be just Ekans and Koffing as a team instead of Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing team. I’d be salty if Meowth finally makes the roster and it’s only to stay in the background with Jessie and James like the Pokémon Trainer.

I am 99% certain Rex is not getting in. Sakurai did say he did not make the cut so instead he will be Mii costume DLC.
he was specifically referring to the base game when explain about rex

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Okay, but what benefit does Nintendo actually gain from adding Geno? Genuine question. Not trying to hate Geno, but what does he bring for Nintendo?
Not Sakurai who has a soft spot for this obscurity and created the echo chamber on his importance to begin with, but Nintendo as a company?

He's not marketable to todays youth since apart from the SNES classic he has very little worth in terms of pushing sales.
His cameo was removed from Mario and Luigi SuperStar saga since Nintendo presumably didn't deem it worth paying Square the rights to bring him back.
Apart from hardcore Smash fans he's a basic unknown, and even then it's by Sakurai's own doing Geno even got famous to form a fanbase to begin with.
They'd have to share DLC profits with Square for his rights.
It's very unlikely they'll be able to use him for promotion and he doesn't have a future. Like at all. SMRPG2 is pretty damn unlikely
Even when Square had the chance to add Geno and Mallow into Mario Sports Mix they chose White Mage, Black Mage, Ninja, Cactaur, Moogle and Slime.
That would have been the perfect time to add Geno, Mallow and even Boshi in. But Square didn't even want to do it on the Mario sports game they were developing.

Honestly I think the only reason Geno was seen as a shoe-in was because of Sakurai's single comment and the overimportance the fanbase put on his Mii outfit getting a Newcomer splash. Maybe he got that Newcomer Splash because that's as close as he's ever getting to being a newcomer? Nobody has suggested this, but it makes as much sense as Geno being a shoe-in because of the Mii outfit to me.

Waluigi is a possibility, albeit I feel he'd only be useful as a sports promotion character, which Toad can do and the Mario mainline games. Waluigi and Wario don't seem to be used that much for promotion these days either and also Waluigi is at the end of the day, still an Assist Trophy. Might not be the dealbreaker we originally thought, but somehow I feel when it comes between the two Toad is more loved by the company these days...at least until Waluigi's Taco Stand becomes a real thing.

Paper Mario is the real opposition I feel. He has his own game series, and it is popular. But again, Nintendo use Toad as the face of the mobile app, a regular face of the Mario franchise and promotional material, and Toad's got proven marketing power with the sheer merchandise with his ridiculously cute face on it.

For some reason I feel Nintendo aren't as likely as a company to add Goomba or Koopa Troopa to the roster before Toad than Sakurai is, but we'll see. I know they've been pushing the minions more in the Mario and Luigi titles and Super Mario Party, but they've equally been pushing Captain Toad and Toadette.

Toadette is a bit of a wild card as Mario newcomers go. Adding her before or more importantly without Toad/Captain Toad would feel a bit like adding Luigi without Mario.
It's possible I guess, but Toadette has largely always played second fiddle to the male Toads;
In Captain Toad Treasure Tracker she's the second main character being the star of Book 2, but Captain Toad gets the most levels overall with him being the one to ultimately fight Wingo both times and save the day. Also his name is in the title.
In Mario Odyssey Toadette may give you the most moons, but that's post game stuff and it's Captain Toad who Mario constantly meets up with throughout his journey around the world.
In Super Mario 3D World...well, Captain Toad was there and Toadette wasn't.
Super Mario Run gave both Toads equal billing.
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe has Toadette as the shiny New/Deluxe character, but it's not like she and Nabbit straight up replaced both male Toads. Again, they're given equal billing, but since she's the newest character(and an easy mode character of sorts) she's being promoted more...she's basically the Mario equivalent to Funky Mode so obviously they'll shout about her.
Whilst I understand your fear Arcadenik, I think the concern of Toadette getting in without being an alt to Toad(or weirder; Toad as her alt) isn't something the likes of Nintendo would so readily do.

I know we've been knocked down a lot in the past, but Toad's literally has the best shot he could have right now. I know you guys are worried about getting your hopes up because you want to avoid that disappointment, but we need a bit more pep and vigor if we want to get across the message for Toad

As I said in the Official Discussion, I think a lot of people may be downplaying his chances as he's one of the more profitable, famous, iconic and marketable characters left to be added.

Sleeping-on-Toad.png

As for Meowth...I adore him. He's my number one Pokemon pick but I'm curious as to whether it's Gamefreak pushing for the Pokemon of the month feel Smash has with it's arbitary generational picks or whether other factors will matter to Nintendo.
Meowth got a boost in Sun and Moon for sure. I didn't even play that game and I know of the Meowth statues in the Rainbow Rocket base and the player's mother getting the family Meowth into a terrifying feud with the neighbours.

And then of course Team Rocket showed up in game again with Meowth which is pretty significant since they're marketable right now. Meltan and Eevee are the big opposition for a Let's Go character, but Team Rocket and Meowth could definitely be a dark horse there.

POSITIVITY BRIGADE! The entire character selection process potentially just altered and that's the best damn news a Smash Bros and Toad fan has had in years.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
POSITIVITY BRIGADE! The entire character selection process potentially just altered and that's the best damn news a Smash Bros and Toad fan has had in years.
oh i dont know that business with chrom and piranha plant putting to bed several arguments against him was pretty good

warelander

Smash Journeyman
But why put in Rex Mii costume as DLC only to add Rex himself as a playable fighter as DLC later?
For the same reason Captain Falcon can have a Mii costume, despite being playable since the N64 original or Chrom can have his costume kept around, while becoming playable. Mii costumes mean nothing.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
For the same reason Captain Falcon can have a Mii costume, despite being playable since the N64 original or Chrom can have his costume kept around, while becoming playable. Mii costumes mean nothing.
But the Final Smash Direct said "While Rex didn't quite make the roster... Hopefully, this helps you feel like you're playing as him."

So... Sakurai is giving us Rex Mii costume as DLC so we can pretend we are playing as Rex instead of giving us Rex as one of five DLC fighters so we can actually play as Rex.

Just doesn't make sense to give us a Rex Mii costume as DLC when they could have given us Rex as a DLC fighter.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
But the Final Smash Direct said "While Rex didn't quite make the roster... Hopefully, this helps you feel like you're playing as him."

So... Sakurai is giving us Rex Mii costume as DLC so we can pretend we are playing as Rex instead of giving us Rex as one of five DLC fighters so we can actually play as Rex.

Just doesn't make sense to give us a Rex Mii costume as DLC when they could have given us Rex as a DLC fighter.
I wonder whether the Rex Mii outfit actually is DLC or whether it's the most they could do for the base roster though. Since Sakurai presumably knew he wouldn't be picking the DLC it could be a failsafe so he got some Xenoblade 2 stuff into Ultimate.

I'm not really sure myself. I was confident in him but it goes to show how the same 'hint' can be interpretated in different ways.

Back to Toad; I'm hoping his Mii outfit that we saw in the Direct isn't DLC and is in base. As much as I adore Toad, paying out for the Mii Brawler outfit a second time would rritate me slightly.

Top Bottom