• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
As someone who has Toad as his #1 most-wanted, I understand completely the disappointment that he isn't in. But honestly, he still has a chance, he's not out of the water, and Piranha Plant actually throws out quite a few hurdles that we self-imposed onto Toad RE: his chances (no generic species rep, and can't jump - both of which were just BTFO by Petey Jr.)

There's nothing saying that Toad/Captain Toad can't be one of the 5 DLC characters and Petey Jr. as the pre-order bonus. We just have to wait and see, and even if Toad doesn't come this time, Petey Jr. just broke a lot of barriers that make his inclusion next time more likely. We've waited this long, if we have to keep waiting, so be it. But don't give up hope.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As someone who has Toad as his #1 most-wanted, I understand completely the disappointment that he isn't in. But honestly, he still has a chance, he's not out of the water, and Piranha Plant actually throws out quite a few hurdles that we self-imposed onto Toad RE: his chances (no generic species rep, and can't jump - both of which were just BTFO by Petey Jr.)

There's nothing saying that Toad/Captain Toad can't be one of the 5 DLC characters and Petey Jr. as the pre-order bonus. We just have to wait and see, and even if Toad doesn't come this time, Petey Jr. just broke a lot of barriers that make his inclusion next time more likely. We've waited this long, if we have to keep waiting, so be it. But don't give up hope.
Hell, I'm feeling positive. CHROM just helped by being in Robin's moveset, AND being a fighter, which is another strike again Toad. Isabelle has proven that you don't need to be a badass fighter archetype to get in,

:ultpiranha::ultchrom::ultisabelle:.
These guys are my hype saviours ^

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Really. At this point, the only thing keeping Toad out of Smash is Sakurai himself and he hates Toad.
Pretty much, I at least don't feel super-positive that he'd be choosing Toad as one of the DLC characters to work on by his own interest.

In fact, I dunno if I'm too immensely interested to see what Sakurai's gonna drop in after we now got likes of Piranha Plant, AND are done with pretty much every wanted fan request out there due Spirits practically deconfirming everybody in a way. Probably we're not going to get another joke character, but right now it seems like we've truly hit the ceiling on any fan-requested characters that seem "feasible" to Sakurai, unless it's more 3rd parties. Can't help but now expect us only getting more marketing-centric characters from Nintendo's current popular IPs instead. :urg:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Pretty much, I at least don't feel super-positive that he'd be choosing Toad as one of the DLC characters to work on by his own interest.

In fact, I dunno if I'm too immensely interested to see what Sakurai's gonna drop in after we get likes of Piranha Plant. Probably not another joke character, but right now it truly feels like barrel's being scraped too bottom.
which is odd cause there no need for barrel scraping unless hes deliberately trying to avoid certain characters

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
which is odd cause there no need for barrel scraping unless hes deliberately trying to avoid certain characters
I more feel like these characters just can't be made to work for various reasons we don't know, unless very big exceptions or fan demand happens - and even then it seems like a lot of these just end up clones of other characters here and there, sans Isabelle who got more semi-cloned treatment.
Most likely resource-based reasons with all that, but again, I don't think Sakurai would like the idea of people believing all spirited characters we see are completely eligible for becoming fighters now, instead serving as Spirits already in the game.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I more feel like these characters just can't be made to work for various reasons we don't know, unless very big exceptions or fan demand happens - and even then it seems like a lot of these just end up clones of other characters here and there, sans Isabelle who got more semi-cloned treatment.
In all fairness I've heard from WildChill that most Daisy fans seem fine with her using Toad and having edible daisies because at least they can play as her.

If Toad turned up as a Luigi clone with a few spore based moves I don't know if we'd be disappointed or relieved. There's a discussion topic.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
character inclusion defiantly comes down to sakurai's own view on the character and he cant see someone as playable then we're in trouble

mind you when he puts in the more creative options is does feel like hes not even willing to try when it comes to other characters that would have been along those lines

In all fairness I've heard from WildChill that most Daisy fans seem fine with her using Toad and having edible daisies because at least they can play as her.

If Toad turned up as a Luigi clone with a few spore based moves I don't know if we'd be disappointed or relieved. There's a discussion topic.
id be fine with it, im all about me characters being playable no matter what form they take

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have been suggesting for years that generic Toad could be a mix of Mario, Luigi, and Peach... but the detractors were like "Bah! Not unique enough! No more clones!" even though most of them are asking for more Echo Fighters. :rolleyes::facepalm:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly I absolutely adore Luigi and Mario's playstyles so something similar wouldn't bother me at all.

The only feasible clone moveset for Toad I would be genuinely disappointed with would be Ice Climbers style team up with Toadette. Not because I think it's an awful idea, but because I cannot play the Climbers worth a damn. I'd definitely learn though in a hurry.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking... maybe we should have foreseen a generic Mario enemy getting in Smash as a WTF character. :ultpiranha:

I mean, this year the major Mario spin-off games have been getting WTF characters and they were both generic enemies... Goomba in Super Mario Party and Chain Chomp in Mario Tennis Aces.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I was thinking... maybe we should have foreseen a generic Mario enemy getting in Smash as a WTF character. :ultpiranha:

I mean, this year the major Mario spin-off games have been getting WTF characters and they were both generic enemies... Goomba in Super Mario Party and Chain Chomp in Mario Tennis Aces.
Those are different. We've been getting generic enemies playable in Mario Sports since the N64 Mario Sports games. Even further back on the SNES if you add the Mario Kart series. And in Mario Party, since Mario Party 5. There's no way Chain Chomp in Aces and Goomba in Super Mario Party could of prepared us for that possibility based on Mario spin-off history, Especially not one that's never been playable in any game whatsoever.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Especially not one that's never been playable in any game whatsoever.
You know, I bet that's the reason Sakurai wanted to add him actually. To be the first to pull it off. All the weird choices have been characters not previously playable if I recall...Game and Watch isn't a real character but more an amalgamation of the game and watch games, R.O.B. you didn't play as such, Duck Hunt consists of one generic opponent(the duck) and a NPC(dog).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There's no way Chain Chomp in Aces and Goomba in Super Mario Party could of prepared us for that possibility based on Mario spin-off history, Especially not one that's never been playable in any game whatsoever.
Boo, Koopa Troopa, and Shy Guy weren't WTF characters compared to Goomba, Chain Chomp, and Piranha Plant. They had us asking "HOW?!"

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Despite the fact that I really, really like Piranha Plant's moveset and wouldn't trade it out now that it's come to be a thing, if I'd have had the choice before of making a generic non-Toad species a fighter I much rather would've preferred Shy Guy since it would be a second Yoshi rep and is also just as iconic and well-known, as well as having an equal number of different types and series to pull a moveset from.

But Piranha Plant is just cool.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
im starting to think sakurai's planning to direct a piranha plant game once ultimate is finnished

if he made a toad one wed have no worries

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Ahahaha, Sakurai got us all good with :ultpiranha:. Not going to lie, that moveset is surprisingly incredibly unique and works super well while referencing the enemy/obstacle quite well.

However, its inclusion does certainly set the bar extremely low for what a newcomer in Smash can be for future titles. Those days of people complaining about how a "generic character" can't get in are now long gone as the plant completely nullifies this. While Yoshi, the Pokemon, Mr. G&W, ROB and a few others have already existed - this throws that mentality right out of the window.

Now as far as Toad goes, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. My hopes weren't the best at this point for this title; however, seeing the plant come in and beat out Toad and the other potential Mario newcomers was quite bittersweet. A very unique character that Sakurai nailed down kit-wise, but it being a generic enemy/obstacle that we even theorized could play a role in Captain Toad's own kit has suddenly beat our mushroom hero that we hoped to get in for years. For all we know, Toad might now be against Goomba/Koopa/Monty Mole/the penguin from Mario 64 at this rate.

Despite this, the :ultpiranha: has opened up a big can of worms for all of us. There's no shame in having generic Toads play a role in the kit at all. We could very well have the base character be Toad/Captain Toad with Toadette alt too and have all the moves be referenced by Toads of all kinds throughout the Mario series. A celebration of Toads overall. Yes, even Bazooka Toad as well.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking that maybe we could show our support by playing online with Toad Mii costume. Maybe Nintendo will notice how many fans are playing with Toad Mii costume and Nintendo might see how many fans really want to play as Toad. Who knows? Maybe Sakurai might have a change of heart and decide to finally put Toad in Smash as a playable fighter despite Peach's moveset. Chrom proved that he can be a playable fighter and still be part of Robin's Final Smash... so why not Toad too?

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So how is everyone feeling about Toad/Captain Toad making it in for DLC?

I am not too optimistic. But still holding on to hope.
Some arguments against him no longer stand. Chrom is still part of Robin’s moveset.
A generic species that can’t jump is a playable fighter.
Toon Link is a background element as well as a playable fighter.

And when it comes to DLC....
I fee like more popular characters would be a better choice because more people would recognize them.
I may be the only one but I had no idea who Simon Belmont was, as well as Ken. I
wouldn’t buy DLC of a character I didn’t know.
And the Mario series is by far the most popular Nintendo series!
Have any of us seen Captain Toad make an appearance in Smash other than the background of New Donk City?
I haven’t seen any spirits of him yet!

I honestly don’t even know what characters are likely for Smash bros DLC! What are you guys thinking! My hopes would be Captain Toad, Urbosa, and Decidueye!

None of my most wanted charactes made it into the base game!

But I do want to know how optimistic are you guys feeling?
I am feeling pretty pessimistic despite the arguments against him being shattered. What do you guys think?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was thinking that maybe we could show our support by playing online with Toad Mii costume. Maybe Nintendo will notice how many fans are playing with Toad Mii costume and Nintendo might see how many fans really want to play as Toad. Who knows? Maybe Sakurai might have a change of heart and decide to finally put Toad in Smash as a playable fighter despite Peach's moveset. Chrom proved that he can be a playable fighter and still be part of Robin's Final Smash... so why not Toad too?
couldnt hurt to try, though i dont play games online so ill leave it up to the rest of you

Some arguments against him no longer stand. Chrom is still part of Robin’s moveset.

I fee like more popular characters would be a better choice because more people would recognize them.
I may be the only one but I had no idea who Simon Belmont was, as well as Ken. I
Have any of us seen Captain Toad make an appearance in Smash other than the background of New Donk City?

I honestly don’t even know what characters are likely for Smash bros DLC! What are you guys thinking! My hopes would be Captain Toad, Urbosa, and Decidueye!

I am feeling pretty pessimistic despite the arguments against him being shattered. What do you guys think?
i feel utterly pessimistic cause i think sakurai is gonna pick what ever random 3rd party characters he takes a fancy too

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet

I can only see a load of third parties being included as DLC unfortunately. But I’m not going to lose hope since a plant in a pot made it as a fighter.

NapoleonDos

Smash Cadet
I really wanted Toad. I still do want him. And he may well be a DLC- he is exceptionally iconic to media.

But PP being last doesn't seem to help him much....it may have even beaten him out of a moveset

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I can only see a load of third parties being included as DLC unfortunately. But I’m not going to lose hope since a plant in a pot made it as a fighter.
Third party characters I could see getting in as DLC:

Heihachi (Tekken series)
Lloyd (Tales of Symphonia)
Banjo-Kazooie
Geno
Steve (Minecraft) - because we always have to have a final character that causes people to be salty

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Hmm, I'm kind of split. On the one hand: literally nothing is now an issue objectively for Toad's inclusion to the point even non Toad fans are beginning to go "Yo, where the **** is Toad?" and between PP, Chrom and Isabelle all 'barriers' are now gone:

"Toad is generic"
*points at Piranha Plant*

"Captain Toad can't jump!"

"Toad's already in Peach's moveset, he can't be a fighter as well"
*points at Chrom*

"Toad isn't much of a fighter"
Patently false since we've seen Toads take down Bowser, the Koopalings, a giant deadly magical bird, a murderous dragon that can OHKO Paper Mario and last but not least the invincible antihero WARIO but *points at Isabelle*

So the only real barrier left is Sakurai himself. Which honestly has always been the biggest one, but at least cultivating a bit more fan support should be easier now all those usual arguments can be backhanded away. Toad's upgrade to Peach's throw may end up being a good start...and his Mii outfit is back for sure, with Sakurai even using Mario Vs. Toad in the last direct(imagine how much better that would have looked if it wasn't a Mii Sakurai...IMAGINE.)

Am I hopeful for DLC? Ehhh....50/50. I think we're in a better position than say Waluigi and Toad would certainly sell going by the sheer amount of Toad merchandise out there, but whether or not Sakurai decides to go back to the ballot and focus entirely on third parties could be the undoing of the likes of Toad and Dixie Kong.

Part of me also thinks we're in a slightly better position than Bandana Waddle Dee since apparently Mario cannot be overrepped at all, and honestly between the two 'generic' characters despite Dee's popularity Toad is still a bigger name. I say that as a Bandana Dee fan too, but I just can't see Dee getting in before Toad even after weird picks like Piranha Plant and Doctor Mario made it before bigger names. If Dee does appear before Toad I'll not be disappointed, just mildly surprised.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm, I'm kind of split. On the one hand: literally nothing is now an issue objectively for Toad's inclusion to the point even non Toad fans are beginning to go "Yo, where the **** is Toad?" and between PP, Chrom and Isabelle all 'barriers' are now gone:

"Toad is generic"

"Captain Toad can't jump!"

"Toad's already in Peach's moveset, he can't be a fighter as well"
*points at Chrom*

"Toad isn't much of a fighter"
Patently false since we've seen Toads take down Bowser, the Koopalings, a giant deadly magical bird, a murderous dragon that can OHKO Paper Mario and last but not least the invincible antihero WARIO but *points at Isabelle*

So the only real barrier left is Sakurai himself. Which honestly has always been the biggest one, but at least cultivating a bit more fan support should be easier now all those usual arguments can be backhanded away. Toad's upgrade to Peach's throw may end up being a good start...and his Mii outfit is back for sure, with Sakurai even using Mario Vs. Toad in the last direct(imagine how much better that would have looked if it wasn't a Mii Sakurai...IMAGINE.)

Am I hopeful for DLC? Ehhh....50/50. I think we're in a better position than say Waluigi and Toad would certainly sell going by the sheer amount of Toad merchandise out there, but whether or not Sakurai decides to go back to the ballot and focus entirely on third parties could be the undoing of the likes of Toad and Dixie Kong.

Part of me also thinks we're in a slightly better position than Bandana Waddle Dee since apparently Mario cannot be overrepped at all, and honestly between the two 'generic' characters despite Dee's popularity Toad is still a bigger name. I say that as a Bandana Dee fan too, but I just can't see Dee getting in before Toad even after weird picks like Piranha Plant and Doctor Mario made it before bigger names. If Dee does appear before Toad I'll not be disappointed, just mildly surprised.
yeah bandana's main problem is sakurai prefers to ignore the kirby games made with out him

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Is anyone else cautiously optimistic for Captain Toad? I could see DLC being something along these lines:

Bandana Dee
Elma
Captain Toad/Wonder Red/Paper Mario/Impa
Two Third Parties: Sora/Geno/Banjo/Steve/Rayman/Crash/Tails/Eggman/Shadow/Sans

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
cant speak for everyone but nope
Its sad to say, but I feel the same. There was a part of me thinking Toadette had a shot at DLC (and with Toad as her echo fighter), but Pirahna Plant chomped down those hopes. There is also the fact that we could very well get Geno as DLC, and that would mean two out of the six DLC characters were Mario characters, and I highly, highly doubt that half of the DLC slots would go to the Mario series.

However, I am thankful that Toad is at least shown in a more positive light in this game (him pummeling opponents as part of Peach and Daisy's moveset), as well as the fact that the Toad Mii costume is very likely to return as well. At least Toad got some sort of acknowledgement in this game, and is technically a somewhat on the battlefield of Smash Bros. (through Peach/Daisy and the Mii costume). You cannot say the same for Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, and Elma (though the latter two probably have really good prospects for DLC considering their spirits have not even been spotted yet).

In general, Ultimate has given nearly every sort of minor Nintendo franchise and notable character within a major Nintendo franchise some sort notable content within the game. Panel de Pon was given a Lip Mii costume. Custom Robo was given a Ray MKIII Mii costume. Chibi Robo was given a Mii costume. Lots of characters given Assist Trophy roles. It truly is Ultimate.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Funny to say, but looks like this game's Cloud is Piranha Plant.

Captain Toad may get a promotion from a background element.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I am 100% without a shadow of a doubt that Sakurai absolutely hates Toad.

He would rather put in Piranha Plant in Smash over Toad.

The only good thing about this is that it destroys the "generic species can't be in Smash" argument.

I get the feeling that Sakurai wanted to put Petey Piranha in Smash but he is too big so he decided to put in Piranha Plant instead.

Ridley would like a word with you.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Its sad to say, but I feel the same. There was a part of me thinking Toadette had a shot at DLC (and with Toad as her echo fighter), but Pirahna Plant chomped down those hopes. There is also the fact that we could very well get Geno as DLC, and that would mean two out of the six DLC characters were Mario characters, and I highly, highly doubt that half of the DLC slots would go to the Mario series.

However, I am thankful that Toad is at least shown in a more positive light in this game (him pummeling opponents as part of Peach and Daisy's moveset), as well as the fact that the Toad Mii costume is very likely to return as well. At least Toad got some sort of acknowledgement in this game, and is technically a somewhat on the battlefield of Smash Bros. (through Peach/Daisy and the Mii costume). You cannot say the same for Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, and Elma (though the latter two probably have really good prospects for DLC considering their spirits have not even been spotted yet).

In general, Ultimate has given nearly every sort of minor Nintendo franchise and notable character within a major Nintendo franchise some sort notable content within the game. Panel de Pon was given a Lip Mii costume. Custom Robo was given a Ray MKIII Mii costume. Chibi Robo was given a Mii costume. Lots of characters given Assist Trophy roles. It truly is Ultimate.
the toad mii fighter costume is in it was in the direct

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
What's really odd to me is that we haven't heard anything about Captain Toad since the New Donk City Hall stage was shown. Even when the stage got a spotlight, it focused entirely on Pauline and The Super Mario Players...which is just crazy to me. Hell, he wasn't even in the reveal; we had to scout him out ourselves for a two second cameo on the website. It's clear that he's there, but what he's going to do (if anything at all) is left uncertain.
And is anyone else confused as to why Toadette is the Spirit Mode treasure-hunter? Not that I mind – I love Toadette to death! – but Captain Toad does feel like the more obvious choice here (maybe they pair up to lead this segment, who knows?)
Also, I don't think spirits necessarily deconfirm any characters. There was a tour of the shop and it seemed like you could purchase a Daisy spirit.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, I don't think spirits necessarily deconfirm any characters. There was a tour of the shop and it seemed like you could purchase a Daisy spirit.
We will know in a month if they de-confirm. If Elma and Bandanna Dee also show up as spirits (the two notable DLC characters left without any sort of known appearance in Ultimate), then it might be safe to say spirits do not de-confirm. However, until then, the answer is unknown.

SUPER SMASH TOAD

Smash Rookie
Hey! New to this forum, but just popped in to say I am an avid Toad/Captain Toad supporter! Though never posting, I always read through this thread just to see what other Toad supporters are up to, and their thoughts on the upcoming Smash Ultimate game.

Though Toad seems unlikely (as dictated as part of Peach's moveset), I do believe Captain Toad has a chance for DLC. In addition to being a well-known character, he also would have both a stage (something from CT:TT) and music (also CT:TT) as included with each DLC character. Furthermore, though he *briefly* was seen on New Donk City in an image (possibly from early development?), there is new footage of that stage, during which Captain Toad is NOT seen once. I don't want to get my (or anyone's) hope up for DLC, but I thought this was a good sign. Here's hoping!

https://youtu.be/YNXcAm1gWM8?t=669

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
What's really odd to me is that we haven't heard anything about Captain Toad since the New Donk City Hall stage was shown. Even when the stage got a spotlight, it focused entirely on Pauline and The Super Mario Players...which is just crazy to me. Hell, he wasn't even in the reveal; we had to scout him out ourselves for a two second cameo on the website. It's clear that he's there, but what he's going to do (if anything at all) is left uncertain.
And is anyone else confused as to why Toadette is the Spirit Mode treasure-hunter? Not that I mind – I love Toadette to death! – but Captain Toad does feel like the more obvious choice here (maybe they pair up to lead this segment, who knows?)
Yeah,I found this to be quite odd as well. Not even a passing mention/reference of Treasure Tracker at its launch (port) either on the Smash blog at the time.

Despite this, would be brilliant if we got a Captain Toad pack with a stage such as Mushroom Mesa that features touchstone platforms that rise up and down along with Flaptors flying about/Shy Guys roaming occasionally. A perfect representation of the colourful world of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Or perhaps Wingo's Watchtower as the stage moves horizontally while rising up per every turn of the tower in order to finally reach the top where Wingo gleefully watches. Throughout the stage, perhaps the pesky bird might even blow wind gusts to interrupt recoveries and slow down fighters as well!

Of course, this wouldn't be complete without the iconic Treasure Tracker main theme as well as perhaps the Wingo boss fight theme as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNDfhLaHoI - Main theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml6utFxxUoo - Boss Road (Wingo theme before final battle atop tower)

Also very fond of the Blizzard on the Star Express theme as well myself. ;)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWLB7LCymYE

The victory jingle from Treasure Tracker would also be perfect for Captain Toad/Toadette if DLC as well. Also perhaps an entrance animation could either include Captain Toad/Toadette falling out of a runaway minecart or even being dropped off by Wingo in a comedic fashion (think of Condor dropping Ice Climbers, but instead Captain Toad/Toadette is panicking as he/she is dropped off onto the stage by the giant bird's leg!).

Last edited:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Hey! New to this forum, but just popped in to say I am an avid Toad/Captain Toad supporter! Though never posting, I always read through this thread just to see what other Toad supporters are up to, and their thoughts on the upcoming Smash Ultimate game.

Though Toad seems unlikely (as dictated as part of Peach's moveset), I do believe Captain Toad has a chance for DLC. In addition to being a well-known character, he also would have both a stage (something from CT:TT) and music (also CT:TT) as included with each DLC character. Furthermore, though he *briefly* was seen on New Donk City in an image (possibly from early development?), there is new footage of that stage, during which Captain Toad is NOT seen once. I don't want to get my (or anyone's) hope up for DLC, but I thought this was a good sign. Here's hoping!

https://youtu.be/YNXcAm1gWM8?t=669
First off, welcome!
You make a pretty interesting point. If DLC packs are themed around a certain character, that definitely boosts Captain Toad's chances since he has his own themes and locations that could be pulled from Treasure Tracker. That alone could boost his chances well above many other candidates; hell, perhaps he could be classified in his own subseries! If DLC packs aren't, though (say, we could get a Zelda character, a Mother stage, and some Kid Icarus music), then Captain Toad would probably still be fairly level with the others, if not lower. Just from what I've seen around social media, Toad/Captain Toad doesn't seem to be an especially popular choice: that usually goes to the likes of Bandana Dee, Geno, Shadow... the usual.

That being said, perhaps that's a call to promote the little guy some more! It might take a bit of convincing, but it's definitely possible! I'm personally wary of using Piranha Plant as evidence for Toad's inclusion considering they're obviously a joke character, but that just proves Smash is eternally unpredictable, right?

Last edited:

SUPER SMASH TOAD

Smash Rookie
I agree! CT:TT has such good level-inspiration as well as music, that I feel it would go well as a DLC bundle. Imagine having Shy Guys as enemies chasing smash fighters across the stage! Though we don't know if all DLC (character, level, music) will all be for one character, I believe that is what happened (for the most part) with Smash Wii U (ex. Ryu, Ryu stage, Ryu Music, Cloud, Cloud stage, Cloud music, etc.), so I do feel that might be what is planned to happen now...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I agree! CT:TT has such good level-inspiration as well as music, that I feel it would go well as a DLC bundle. Imagine having Shy Guys as enemies chasing smash fighters across the stage! Though we don't know if all DLC (character, level, music) will all be for one character, I believe that is what happened (for the most part) with Smash Wii U (ex. Ryu, Ryu stage, Ryu Music, Cloud, Cloud stage, Cloud music, etc.), so I do feel that might be what is planned to happen now...
care to be on our supporters list?

Top Bottom