• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It is worse than that.

This long-necked biting move. That was what I had in mind for Ekans (it is part of my Team Rocket Meowth moveset).

View attachment 174562

This spitting poison move. That was what I had in mind for Koffing (it is also part of my Team Rocket Meowth moveset).

View attachment 174565

I feel sick to my stomach.

This Piranha Plant moveset… it reminds me of that old Piranha Plant moveset I sarcastically made as a joke way back in the Nsider forums. I would rather have Tetris Block than this... and I also made a moveset for Tetris Block way back in the Nsider forums.
my condolences for meowth btw

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Personally I'm all for 'generic' Mario species being playable but a 'generic' Mario character who cannot 'jump' and it's not the Captain?

Sadly still in my top three newcomers. At least Toad's Mii outfit is also back.

Just a shame since we see the mobile site being pushed again and it's Toad Vs. Mario and instead we get the plant.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is like... every time I come up with something unique for Meowth, whether it is generic Pokémon Meowth or Team Rocket Meowth (with Ekans and Koffing), Sakurai shows a new character with some moves I had in mind for Meowth. And then I have to go back to the drawing board again.

The same goes for Toad. Piranha Plant's recovery move with the propeller leaves was what I had in mind for Toad with the Propeller Suit from New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
Lmao, we were talking about how Piranha Plant should be apart of Captain Toad’s moveset but nah son he’s being made into a fully fleshed out Smash Bros. Newcomer.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It is like... every time I come up with something unique for Meowth, whether it is generic Pokémon Meowth or Team Rocket Meowth (with Ekans and Koffing), Sakurai shows a new character with some moves I had in mind for Meowth. And then I have to go back to the drawing board again.

The same goes for Toad. Piranha Plant's recovery move with the propeller leaves was what I had in mind for Toad with the Propeller Suit from New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
boy your head would explode if cat toad got in

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Honestly I wouldn't even be mad with Piranha Plant if he came after Toad....or Paper Mario.... Or Waluigi.... or Geno. I'll probably still pick him up tbh; and I do appreciate the creativity. But c'mon man...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I still think Sakurai has nothing against Toad, but right now I absolutely cannot blame anyone for believing that.
Getting slightly harder to justify the exclusion though, right? :p
I feel bad for Waluigi fans too. And Paper Mario fans. And Birdo fans. And even King Boo fans.

Still the Plant was the most interesting thing in the Direct.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still think Sakurai has nothing against Toad, but right now I absolutely cannot blame anyone for believing that.
I mean, I understood that Daisy only got in because she was an Echo Fighter of Peach so I gave her a pass for getting in over Toad. I would also understand if the free DLC fighter was Geno since at least many people wanted him for 15+ years and Sakurai himself said he wanted Geno...

But Piranha Plant? A generic enemy? A generic enemy that doesn't walk, let alone jump, gets in Smash? A generic enemy that didn't even get a support thread on SmashBoards or anywhere else? It isn't like Wii Fit Trainer since she at least is the main character of her own series. It just boggles the mind. I thought Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Wii Fit Trainer were WTF characters... but Piranha Plant is in a league of its own.

I just don't understand why Sakurai would rather put in Piranha Plant over Toad. The only thing that would explain why is if Sakurai absolutely hates Toad. Sakurai was going to keep Toad as Peach's meat shield and the only reason he made Toad do punches and headbutts was to throw a bone to the Toad fans who have been begging for a playable Toad for 19 years... and boy, did we devour that bone for a while!

Oddball

Smash Lord
I just don't understand why Sakurai would rather put in Piranha Plant over Toad. The only thing that would explain why is if Sakurai absolutely hates Toad. Sakurai was going to keep Toad as Peach's meat shield and the only reason he made Toad do punches and headbutts was to throw a bone to the Toad fans who have been begging for a playable Toad for 19 years... and boy, did we devour that bone for a while!
I can.

Piranha Plant is a character everybody knows, has interesting moves, and is one NOBODY EVER saw coming. Three perfect reasons to add anything.
Plus it's just hilarious.
Smash Bros wouldn't be what it is if they always used the safe predictable characters.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, and now Piranha Plant. Sakurai always has something up his sleeve that no one could possibly predict. This one feels different, though. The others at least represent a franchise or a part of Nintendo history that hasn't had representation before. Piranha Plant is just another Mario character. And while I don't think it was Sakurai's intention, I do feel like Toad is being disrespected when someone as iconic as him gets passed up by a nobody from his series. I'm not mad. I'm never fully satisfied with the final roster of a Smash game, and I didn't expect this time around to be any different. But the Piranha Plant thing definitely confuses me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the worst thing about Piranha Plant is not because it got in over Toad but that it opened the floodgates to generic Mario enemies.

Now Toad suddenly has to compete with generic Mario enemies like Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Boo, Cheep Cheep, etc.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I can.

Piranha Plant is a character everybody knows, has interesting moves, and is one NOBODY EVER saw coming. Three perfect reasons to add anything.
Plus it's just hilarious.
Smash Bros wouldn't be what it is if they always used the safe predictable characters.
Well, definitely no one saw it coming. Only small benefit is Petey sort of gets a playable role in it. Biting and spitting liquid is nothing new though, but at this point very little is going to be.

It being able to change it's colour and ability reminds me of when Toad fans suggested he use some of the unused powerups but were shot down because it'd change his look too much.

...Piranha Plant changes a lot as it turns out.

In other non plant news; Peach's Final Smash still wasn't shown. Bets on Toad army?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think the worst thing about Piranha Plant is not because it got in over Toad but that it opened the floodgates to generic Mario enemies.

Now Toad suddenly has to compete with generic Mario enemies like Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Shy Guy, Boo, Cheep Cheep, etc.
It certainly makes me feel like DLC might be such a wacky box of chocolate that it's dreadful.

Now we can add generic enemies or other "beyond left field"-characters to the list of DLC that might contain 3rd Parties or another FE-rep?

On the other hand, I guess I could attempt rallying for Koopa Troopa in the future...

But again, he's gonna have some serious competition:

cybersai

Smash Ace
I think Toadette's rising stardom will definitely get her and Captain Toad in Smash.

Toadette is now in every Mario game. She's in Odyssey, Mario Kart, Mario and Rabbids, Captain Toad, the sports/party games, and now New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. I can easily see Captain Toad and Toadette being male/female alts of each other like Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, etc.

I suppose they have a chance for DLC, Captain Toad being in the background of the New Donk City stage doesn't mean much.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
This is the most insipid garbage. It isn't even a ****ing echo. I could have thought it was funny if it was an echo.
But no. They spent the dev resources of a full character, the kind of resources that could have made Toad, Waluigi, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Ray, Impa, or so many others, on a ****ing Piranha plant. Any stage would be a more worthwhile use of dev resources.
This is going to ruin my whole day. I have school **** to do today. What were they ****ing thinking.
You've read my mind. That entire direct was a sea of good & bad to me, but THIS was just....

I'm gonna echo what someone on DK Vine said & say that this might be the closest a video game series has gotten to jumping the shark....

Edible daisies?

OK.

Very nice. Just bursting with creativity & effort...

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm gonna echo what someone on DK Vine said & say that this might be the closest a video game series has gotten to jumping the shark....
Perhaps. It more just upsets to see all naysayers on the Plant be referred as ones that take the series too seriously and can't enjoy it for what it is, hence "deserving what they just got."

Me, I just wish there were other ways this could have been handled. I already didn't want to bother with Toad for a while, but it's pretty impressive to watch how just deep this managed to go regarding many other highly wanted characters. If they spread certain characters more for the final hype ender, it would have made some of these inclusions less messier to take in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Either this was a prophetic dream or a leak.

1541101688058.png

I guess Sakurai saw that episode.

1541102879422.png

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
The weird thing for me is that I honestly like Piranha Plant for being such a wacky fighter, I just find it disappointing to see characters like Toad or Issac relegated to non-playable roles once more, when one is among Nintendo's biggest characters and the other is not only the mascot for one of the GBA's most notable first party franchises, but also commands a huge and loyal following.

I'm all for Sakurai's wacky antics, we likely wouldn't have characters like Mr. Game & Watch as fighters if it wasn't for him, but the glaring exclusions bite especially hard now or at least I feel like that now.

I actually liked a fair few things about the Direct, I always liked Ken far more then Ryu, again I actually like Piranha Plant and seeing Wario Land characters as spirits feels like a huge victory to me, but my heart sunk hard when Isaac came up as an AT and I honestly don't want another Smash hype cycle to wait for him and Toad, only to get possibly disappointed again.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
How I like to think Piranha Plant got into Smash
Toad: Alright, a Smash invitation to... a Mario character?
Waluigi: Well clearly it's meant for me, everyone loves WALUIGI!
Geno: Hey, I've got loads of supporters too!
Toad: Well I have the history, it's clearly meant for me!
Geno: Alright, we'll settle this the old fashioned way... rock paper scissors!
Toad&Waluigi: Agreed!
Rock paper scissors session
Toad: Ha, my rock beats your scissors, Waluigi!
Geno: Well, my paper beats your rock!
Waluigi: My scissors cut your flimsy paper, stupid puppet!
Toad: Look, this clearly isn't working. We need another way to... wait, where'd the invite go?
Piranha Plant Joins the Battle
Toad: Huh... we, uh, should've been watching that invite.
Geno: ...
Waluigi: ...
Toad: ... well... anyone for Rock Paper Scissors?

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I just gotta say... The anger in my heart burns with the white hot intensity of 1,000 suns.

I am just gonna leave it at that.

My hope for Toad/The Captain has just complete shattered and been ground into dust.
But I have one sliver left that I am gripping to that has “DLC” written on it.

I am not convinced it will happen, but I can’t deny that I am still holding onto this sliver of hope even though a strong breeze could pull it out of my hands.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I just gotta say... The anger in my heart burns with the white hot intensity of 1,000 suns.

I am just gonna leave it at that.

My hope for Toad/The Captain has just complete shattered and been ground into dust.
But I have one sliver left that I am gripping to that has “DLC” written on it.

I am not convinced it will happen, but I can’t deny that I am still holding onto this sliver of hope even though a strong breeze could pull it out of my hands.
Well, he's in a better place than say...Shadow, Waluigi, Skull Kid and Isaac at least.

No assist trophy to get in the way. It's something!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
anyone spot any toad spirits?
Possible hosts:
Doc Louis
Kat & Ana
Toadette
Cap'n Cuttlefish
Copper & Booker
Gravity Man
Slowpoke

I identified most of the following spirits:

1. Chibi-Robo
  2. some green creature with glowing red eyes
  3. Waddle Dee (generic species)
  4. Piplup
  5. Tails
  6. Dr. Wily
  7. Carmilla
  8. Takamaru
  9. Great Fairy from Ocarina of Time
  10. someone I don't know... maybe Metal Gear character?
  11. Centurion from Kid Icarus
  12. that shrimp character from Splatoon 2
  13. the cat from Splatoon
  14. Moon from Majora's Mask
  15. some blond girl... maybe WarioWare or Rhythm Heaven character?
  16. Knuckles
  17. Blooper
  18. Dragonite
  19. Metroid
  20. Ray MK III (I think that's the one)
  21. Captain Rainbow
  22. someone with beret and sunglasses... maybe Metal Gear character?
  23. Medusa (Castlevania)
  24. Oshawott
  25. K.K. Slider
  26. that pig villain from Star Fox
  27. some green haired person... maybe Fire Emblem character
  28. Zero
  29. Wobbuffet
  30. Resetti
  31. Rambi the rhino from Donkey Kong Country
  32. DeMille from Tomato Adventure
  33. the fish from Balloon Fight
  34. some old man with white beard
  35. some generic anime girl with brown hair
  36. Mouser from Super Mario Bros. 2
  37. Silver the Hedgehog
  38. some red-haired woman with a long weapon... maybe Fire Emblem character
  39. Dry Bowser
  40. Gooey
  41. Yuga from Link Between Worlds
  42. Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres
  43. Vulpix
  44. Cappy
  45. Pseudo Palutena
  46. that blonde woman with long twirly pigtails from Fire Emblem Fates Elise
  47. Slippy Toad
  48. Rattly the snake from Donkey Kong Country 2
  49. male Wii Fit Trainer
  50. Lip
  51. Nabbit
  52. one of those guys from that Ouendan DS game
  53. Cranky Kong
  54. Revali from Breath of the Wild
  55. Amy Rose
  56. Fortitudo (literally who)
  57. Rabbid Peach
  58. some yellow character with earmuffs
  59. Air Man
  60. Kid Dracula
  61. Primid
  62. Bonkers from Kirby series
  63. that green character with blue lips... I think he is a Kid Icarus character
  64. Balloon Fighter
  65. some strange red creature with what appear to be tentacles
  66. Polterpup
  67. Rouge the Bat
  68. Reinhardt from Castlevania 64 (can't believe they actually remembered the N64 games)
  69. some car with eyes... is that from Stunt Race FX for the SNES? F-Type
  70. Galaxy Man
  71. Octoling
  72. female Custom Robo… maybe from the N64 game?
  73. Bokolin from Breath of the Wild
  74. Smeargle
  75. Lakitu & Spiny
  76. Gordo
  77. Guts Man
  78. Owain from Fire Emblem
  79. The Imprisoned from Skyward Sword
  80. Able Sisters
  81. Hal Emmerich from Metal Gear Solid series
  82. Bullet Bill
  83. Mimikyu
  84. Guardian from Breath of the Wild
  85. Yama (literally who)
  86. Melia from Xenoblade Chronicles
  87. Dr. Lobe
  88. Leon Belmont
  89. Zael from The Last Story
  90. Prince Fluff from Kirby's Epic Yarn
  91. Mio & Maya Amakura (I think they are from Fatal Frame or something?)
  92. Jelfonzo from Splatoon
  93. that chihuahua from Animal Crossing City Folk
  94. a doodle of some chef with a mustache
  95. Yarn Poochy
  96. Poppy Bros. Jr. from Kirby series
  97. Dixie Kong
  98. some generic anime girl in school uniform
  99. Groudon
  100. Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong (surprised they acknowledged Kiddy Kong's existence)
  101. same anime girl (I think) with a spear
  102. Primal Groudon
  103. a red-haired woman in armor and lance... maybe Fire Emblem character
  104. generic Space Pirate from Metroid games
  105. not sure who this is... looks like an alien or a machine
  106. Duster from Mother 3
  107. Micaiah from Fire Emblem
  108. Clefairy
  109. Wrestler and Reporter from Rhythm Heaven
  110. Metal Sonic
  111. Urbosa from Breath of the Wild
  112. Magolor from Kirby's Return to Dream Land
  113. a sprite of a brown man in blue shirt and white pants
  114. I don't know who this robot is
  115. Leif
  116. Team Chaotix
  117. Latios & Latias
  118. Pearl & Marina
  119. Urban Champion
  120. some fish... I think it's from Splatoon
  121. Diskun
  122. Jeanne from Bayonetta
  123. characters from Hogan's Alley
  124. no idea who this is
  125. Tatanga from Super Mario Land
  126. that chameleon villain from Star Fox
  127. Napalm Man
  128. Zipper T.
  129. some red dinosaur... maybe from Fossil Fighters?
  130. Juste Belmont
  131. some black creature with white wings... looks like a dragon to me
  132. some woman in elaborate looking dress and headdress
  133. Kirby in the Robobot Armor
  134. Volleyball Player from the NES game Volleyball
  135. General Pepper
  136. Spyke from Splatoon
  137. no idea who this woman with low cut shirt
  138. Adam from Metroid Other M
Dang. I gotta go now. This list is incomplete.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Possible hosts:
Doc Louis
Kat & Ana
Toadette
Cap'n Cuttlefish
Copper & Booker
Gravity Man
Slowpoke

1. Chibi-Robo
  4. Piplup
  5. Tails
  6. Dr. Wily
  7. Carmilla
  8. Takamaru
  16. Knuckles
  17. Blooper
  18. Dragonite
  19. Metroid
  21. Captain Rainbow
  23. Medusa (Castlevania)
  24. Oshawott
  25. K.K. Slider
  28. Zero
  29. Wobbuffet
  30. Resetti
  37. Silver the Hedgehog
  39. Dry Bowser
  40. Gooey
  43. Vulpix
  44. Cappy
  45. Pseudo Palutena
  47. Slippy Toad
  49. male Wii Fit Trainer
  50. Lip
  51. Nabbit
  53. Cranky Kong
  55. Amy Rose
  57. Rabbid Peach
  59. Air Man
  60. Kid Dracula
  61. Primid
  64. Balloon Fighter
  66. Polterpup
  67. Rouge the Bat
  68. Reinhardt from Castlevania 64 (can't believe they actually remembered the N64 games)
  70. Galaxy Man
  71. Octoling
  74. Smeargle
  75. Lakitu & Spiny
  76. Gordo
  77. Guts Man
  80. Able Sisters
  82. Bullet Bill
  83. Mimikyu
  85. Yama (literally who)
  87. Dr. Lobe
  88. Leon Belmont
  95. Yarn Poochy
  97. Dixie Kong
  99. Groudon
  100. Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong (surprised they acknowledged Kiddy Kong's existence)
  102. Primal Groudon
  108. Clefairy
  110. Metal Sonic
  115. Leif
  116. Team Chaotix
  117. Latios & Latias
  118. Pearl & Marina
  119. Urban Champion
  121. Diskun
  124. no idea who this is
  127. Napalm Man
  128. Zipper T.
  130. Juste Belmont
  135. General Pepper
  136. Spyke from Splatoon
Wow, you went to a lot of work with that. Impressive, I commend you. Oh, and I can guarantee you that the green creature with red eyes (number 2 on your list) is Smokey Progg from Pikmin.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Possible hosts:
Doc Louis
Kat & Ana
Toadette
Cap'n Cuttlefish
Copper & Booker
Gravity Man
Slowpoke

1. Chibi-Robo
  4. Piplup
  5. Tails
  6. Dr. Wily
  7. Carmilla
  8. Takamaru
  16. Knuckles
  17. Blooper
  18. Dragonite
  19. Metroid
  21. Captain Rainbow
  23. Medusa (Castlevania)
  24. Oshawott
  25. K.K. Slider
  28. Zero
  29. Wobbuffet
  30. Resetti
  37. Silver the Hedgehog
  39. Dry Bowser
  40. Gooey
  43. Vulpix
  44. Cappy
  45. Pseudo Palutena
  47. Slippy Toad
  49. male Wii Fit Trainer
  50. Lip
  51. Nabbit
  53. Cranky Kong
  55. Amy Rose
  57. Rabbid Peach
  59. Air Man
  60. Kid Dracula
  61. Primid
  64. Balloon Fighter
  66. Polterpup
  67. Rouge the Bat
  70. Galaxy Man
  71. Octoling
  74. Smeargle
  75. Lakitu & Spiny
  76. Gordo
  77. Guts Man
  80. Able Sisters
  82. Bullet Bill
  83. Mimikyu
  85. Yama (literally who)
  87. Dr. Lobe
  88. Leon Belmont
  95. Yarn Poochy
  97. Dixie Kong
  99. Groudon
  102. Primal Groudon
  108. Clefairy
  110. Metal Sonic
  115. Leif
  116. Team Chaotix
  117. Latios & Latias
  118. Pearl & Marina
  119. Urban Champion
  121. Diskun
  124. no idea who this is
  127. Napalm Man
  128. Zipper T.
  130. Juste Belmont
  135. General Pepper
  136. Spyke from Splatoon
I thought I saw Mike Jones. Can you confirm?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Possible hosts:
Doc Louis
Kat & Ana
Toadette
Cap'n Cuttlefish
Copper & Booker
Gravity Man
Slowpoke

1. Chibi-Robo
  4. Piplup
  5. Tails
  6. Dr. Wily
  7. Carmilla
  8. Takamaru
  16. Knuckles
  17. Blooper
  18. Dragonite
  19. Metroid
  21. Captain Rainbow
  23. Medusa (Castlevania)
  24. Oshawott
  25. K.K. Slider
  28. Zero
  29. Wobbuffet
  30. Resetti
  37. Silver the Hedgehog
  39. Dry Bowser
  40. Gooey
  43. Vulpix
  44. Cappy
  45. Pseudo Palutena
  47. Slippy Toad
  49. male Wii Fit Trainer
  50. Lip
  51. Nabbit
  53. Cranky Kong
  55. Amy Rose
  57. Rabbid Peach
  59. Air Man
  60. Kid Dracula
  61. Primid
  64. Balloon Fighter
  66. Polterpup
  67. Rouge the Bat
  70. Galaxy Man
  71. Octoling
  74. Smeargle
  75. Lakitu & Spiny
  76. Gordo
  77. Guts Man
  80. Able Sisters
  82. Bullet Bill
  83. Mimikyu
  85. Yama (literally who)
  87. Dr. Lobe
  88. Leon Belmont
  95. Yarn Poochy
  97. Dixie Kong
  99. Groudon
  102. Primal Groudon
  108. Clefairy
  110. Metal Sonic
  115. Leif
  116. Team Chaotix
  117. Latios & Latias
  118. Pearl & Marina
  119. Urban Champion
  121. Diskun
  124. no idea who this is
  127. Napalm Man
  128. Zipper T.
  130. Juste Belmont
  135. General Pepper
  136. Spyke from Splatoon
my hat off to your work

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wait, seriously? Pics please.

If so this is potentially huge for Toad between Piranha Plant killing the generic argument and Chrom remaining a moveset character AND a playable.

ANYTHING CAN CHANGE! :ultchrom:
And Tom Nook can still get in even if he is in Villager's and Isabelle's Final Smashes.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Look at 1:57

This is also good for Proto Man fans.

Top Bottom