• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

blazefan519

Smash Ace
So I guess Nintendo is intending on making Captain Toad his own character with his own series of games now? With the new icon that's coming from the Switch update that's what I'm thinking at least. So hopefully that means that if Captain Toad gets added, he's considered to be in a separate series than Mario like Yoshi, Wario, and DK.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I can't believe I haven't posted in here before. I'm a HUGE fan of Captain Toad and think he deserves to be in Smash. I'm rooting for the little guy (even if he is a part of New Donk City stage apparently). Would love a Captain Toadette alt as I would much prefer to use her than the actual Captain. I love Captain Toad so much I bought both Wii U and Switch versions on launch. Hell IMO Captain Toad was a more fun game than BOTH 3D World and Odyssey IMO. So count me in as a supporter. If he is not base roster I hope he gets in as DLC (maybe to tie in to a Captain Toad sequel).

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
So I guess Nintendo is intending on making Captain Toad his own character with his own series of games now? With the new icon that's coming from the Switch update that's what I'm thinking at least. So hopefully that means that if Captain Toad gets added, he's considered to be in a separate series than Mario like Yoshi, Wario, and DK.
So glad that we can finally equip a Captain Toad/Toadette icon at last! Been waiting for this since launch. xD Seems like we get 6 icons as a whole dedicated to Treasure Tracker including Draggadon and Wingo!

Seems like TT did pretty well on the Switch/3DS as ports, so I'm also rooting for the series to grow bigger in the future! If the CT series gets represented in Smash, perhaps a mushroom logo/Toad head with a headlamp or a super gem might work as its own icon?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I can't believe I haven't posted in here before. I'm a HUGE fan of Captain Toad and think he deserves to be in Smash. I'm rooting for the little guy (even if he is a part of New Donk City stage apparently). Would love a Captain Toadette alt as I would much prefer to use her than the actual Captain. I love Captain Toad so much I bought both Wii U and Switch versions on launch. Hell IMO Captain Toad was a more fun game than BOTH 3D World and Odyssey IMO. So count me in as a supporter. If he is not base roster I hope he gets in as DLC (maybe to tie in to a Captain Toad sequel).
shall i add you to our list?

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I have been more vocal with my support for other characters recently, but Toad/Captain Toad will always be a top newcomer pick for me, alongside a new Wario rep, Isaac, Arle Nadja or Rex & Pyra.

Not gonna lie though, seeing him on the New Donk City stage has been pretty deflating, there's always the chance that he can pull a Toon Link/Alfonzo and that the whole thing is just a sneaky fake-out, but I'm cautious with how much I want to expect from that idea.

I dunno, I just really want Toad to finally get his dues and his more active and dignified role in Peach's moveset is at least an appreciated improvement, but I'd be lying if I said that my expectations and hopes for a playable Toad weren't at an absolute low point.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I have been more vocal with my support for other characters recently, but Toad/Captain Toad will always be a top newcomer pick for me, alongside a new Wario rep, Isaac, Arle Nadja or Rex & Pyra.

Not gonna lie though, seeing him on the New Donk City stage has been pretty deflating, there's always the chance that he can pull a Toon Link/Alfonzo and that the whole thing is just a sneaky fake-out, but I'm cautious with how much I want to expect from that idea.

I dunno, I just really want Toad to finally get his dues and his more active and dignified role in Peach's moveset is at least an appreciated improvement, but I'd be lying if I said that my expectations and hopes for a playable Toad weren't at an absolute low point.
you want on the support list too?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Quite fascinating it is indeed to see the series is given this sum of establishment and push from Big N. Depending on what Captain Toad's final role is, I hope it tells Sakurai that maybe he brushed someone rather profilic on their own too early...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Quite fascinating it is indeed to see the series is given this sum of establishment and push from Big N. Depending on what Captain Toad's final role is, I hope it tells Sakurai that maybe he brushed someone rather profilic on their own too early...
sakurai seems set in his way with regards to certain characters, bowser and luigi seem to be treated different than in every other game to me

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Since the dust has settled a bit on Treasure Tracker, was curious as to what you folks would like to see in a sequel once again. Personally, I feel the series has room to grow and would love to see the following features implemented over time:

*Seems the turnip shooter 2nd player feature has its fans so while it's nice to maintain in the main story mode, would love to see a multiplayer mode where up to four Toads can play on larger levels to have a treasure hunting competition. Turnips, pickaxs, double cherries and so on could even be enabled in a frantic race for treasure. Captain Toad, Toadette, Hint Toad, Yellow Toad and Banktoad all being playable characters would be a neat touch in this mode.

*Implement a Hub area. While the main menu does have that easter egg where Captain Toad can interact with the other Toads a bit while viewing a giant 3D sprite of iconic power-ups, would be nice to have a Hub area where we can view how much treasure we collected. Perhaps akin to the Starship Mario from SMG2, but instead with a giant version of the Starshroom? While the storybook level sequence was a very cute idea for the original game, an area to connect the game's level sequences could potentially add up to the experience perhaps. This leads to my next point...

*Add more collectibles. This would be akin to another treasure collect-a-thon series, Wario Land. Perhaps Captain Toad can also find artifacts or iconic objects from other Nintendo series/Mario games while seeking out treasure. This could potentially add more replayability and satisfy a treasure hunter's heart. Would be a bonus if you could even decorate your Hub area with such collected items as well. More collectable items I feel would really add to the experience - especially if these are recognizable items from Nintendo's rich history of games.

*Mailtoad? While it seems Toadette did replace him in CTTT, it still feels quite odd to not have him around. He apparently even returns in Odyssey! Regardless, even if he doesn't adventure alongside the other members of the Brigade, maybe a cameo featuring him delivering mail (a classic nod to his original role) for unlocked levels/dlc/etc could be a nice touch.

*More bosses and less repetitive fights? Draggadon and Wingo were great bosses...however, they did end up becoming quite repetitive for about 2-3 times. Perhaps for the next game, we can see a larger cast in bosses. This is a feature I liked as it somewhat reminded me of how Wario's Woods had bosses while also being a puzzle game. Perhaps a section of the final boss battle where Captain Toad/Toadette must ride a minecart to avoid the boss's incoming attacks/chuck turnips at the boss could be such an idea of expanding the more harder boss fights.

*Perhaps a bit more of a story than just the rinse/repeat of the Toads being kidnapped by Wingo in the same stage over and over? :p

*Bombs. I feel an additional item that should have worked in the game could have bombs to detonate certain areas with large amounts of blocks/underground digging levels. Could be a nice nod to WW too.

*Bonus Odyssey/next Mario game levels. Having the Captain Toad series being a side-story to the events of the Mushroom Kingdom is a very interesting touch. Goes to show how other residents of the MK are coping with such events - Captain Toad is just doing his best to seek treasure to his heart's desire while almost being oblivious to Peach's kidnapping in Odyssey. Though that doesn't mean that he won't help as he does aid Mario with a couple moons during the game - what a generous little guy! Would love to see more of his perspective on smaller variants/sections of the larger Mario platforming levels.

*A few levels where Captain Toad takes off his backpack and starts platforming so CaptainToadcan'tjump naysayers for Smash can be rebutted. Though in reality, would be interesting to have a few bonus levels feature a riding companion like Yoshi where Captain Toad can break the limits of his own game by platforming for a bit. :p

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Since the dust has settled a bit on Treasure Tracker, was curious as to what you folks would like to see in a sequel once again. Personally, I feel the series has room to grow and would love to see the following features implemented over time:

*Seems the turnip shooter 2nd player feature has its fans so while it's nice to maintain in the main story mode, would love to see a multiplayer mode where up to four Toads can play on larger levels to have a treasure hunting competition. Turnips, pickaxs, double cherries and so on could even be enabled in a frantic race for treasure. Captain Toad, Toadette, Hint Toad, Yellow Toad and Banktoad all being playable characters would be a neat touch in this mode.

*Implement a Hub area. While the main menu does have that easter egg where Captain Toad can interact with the other Toads a bit while viewing a giant 3D sprite of iconic power-ups, would be nice to have a Hub area where we can view how much treasure we collected. Perhaps akin to the Starship Mario from SMG2, but instead with a giant version of the Starshroom? While the storybook level sequence was a very cute idea for the original game, an area to connect the game's level sequences could potentially add up to the experience perhaps. This leads to my next point...

*Add more collectibles. This would be akin to another treasure collect-a-thon series, Wario Land. Perhaps Captain Toad can also find artifacts or iconic objects from other Nintendo series/Mario games while seeking out treasure. This could potentially add more replayability and satisfy a treasure hunter's heart. Would be a bonus if you could even decorate your Hub area with such collected items as well. More collectable items I feel would really add to the experience - especially if these are recognizable items from Nintendo's rich history of games.

*Mailtoad? While it seems Toadette did replace him in CTTT, it still feels quite odd to not have him around. He apparently even returns in Odyssey! Regardless, even if he doesn't adventure alongside the other members of the Brigade, maybe a cameo featuring him delivering mail (a classic nod to his original role) for unlocked levels/dlc/etc could be a nice touch.

*More bosses and less repetitive fights? Draggadon and Wingo were great bosses...however, they did end up becoming quite repetitive for about 2-3 times. Perhaps for the next game, we can see a larger cast in bosses. This is a feature I liked as it somewhat reminded me of how Wario's Woods had bosses while also being a puzzle game. Perhaps a section of the final boss battle where Captain Toad/Toadette must ride a minecart to avoid the boss's incoming attacks/chuck turnips at the boss could be such an idea of expanding the more harder boss fights.

*Perhaps a bit more of a story than just the rinse/repeat of the Toads being kidnapped by Wingo in the same stage over and over? :p

*Bombs. I feel an additional item that should have worked in the game could have bombs to detonate certain areas with large amounts of blocks/underground digging levels. Could be a nice nod to WW too.

*Bonus Odyssey/next Mario game levels. Having the Captain Toad series being a side-story to the events of the Mushroom Kingdom is a very interesting touch. Goes to show how other residents of the MK are coping with such events - Captain Toad is just doing his best to seek treasure to his heart's desire while almost being oblivious to Peach's kidnapping in Odyssey. Though that doesn't mean that he won't help as he does aid Mario with a couple moons during the game - what a generous little guy! Would love to see more of his perspective on smaller variants/sections of the larger Mario platforming levels.

*A few levels where Captain Toad takes off his backpack and starts platforming so CaptainToadcan'tjump naysayers for Smash can be rebutted. Though in reality, would be interesting to have a few bonus levels feature a riding companion like Yoshi where Captain Toad can break the limits of his own game by platforming for a bit. :p
These are really great ideas!

While I think it's highly unlikely, imagine if Nintendo announced a Captain Toad sequel coming out next year! I feel like if he gets a sequel, Sakurai will have literally no reason to not put him in Smash. He would have everything going for him at that point.

Besides a Captain Toad sequel, is there anything Toad related in the direct tomorrow? Maybe they'll announce that New Super Mario Bros U Port that's rumored and we can see Toad and hopefully Toadette in all their glory then.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
sigh if geno's revealed tomorrow ill be annoyed but what can you do, hopefully we'll see a mario game with major toad role in the direct tomorrow

we might see luigi's mansion 3ds where toad plays the important role of save point

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

*Bank Toad and Yellow Toad(he needs a name) to actually do something. Hint Toad is the only real aide in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, so it'd be nice if the other two brigade members did something even if it was just run a shop. I feel like they didn't really have a role in the game.

*Have the coins unlock things; Odyssey showed the power of costumes for example; having Captain Toad being able to unlock various new outfits(with the crown being the final unlock again) would be pretty fun.

*Have more references to past Mario games. Have Captain Toad explore for example, a level in Isle Delfino, a planet from Galaxy, maybe a location even from Paper Mario.

*More bosses. With Wingo and Draggadon as the only two true bosses in the game at current(you never fight/beat Cookatiel), we could do with a few more. I still want Wario to be a surprise secret boss that you have to race down the Mine Carts collecting as many coins as you can. Honestly I think bringing back Wario's Woods rivalry between Captain Toad and Wario as rival treasure hunters would be great.

*A level based off Wario's Woods. Yep. Whether it's using the old Wario's Woods monsters as antagonists, including the wall walk ability, or requesting you stack a certain combination of enemies together to obtain a gem, I want some sort of level based on Toads first game too.

*MailToad and Toadsworth to also appear as NPCs.

These are really great ideas!

While I think it's highly unlikely, imagine if Nintendo announced a Captain Toad sequel coming out next year! I feel like if he gets a sequel, Sakurai will have literally no reason to not put him in Smash. He would have everything going for him at that point.

Besides a Captain Toad sequel, is there anything Toad related in the direct tomorrow? Maybe they'll announce that New Super Mario Bros U Port that's rumored and we can see Toad and hopefully Toadette in all their glory then.
The return of 3D World's levels as free DLC to the Switch and 3DS games would be wonderful. Actually I'd love it if 3D World got ported alongside the New Super Mario Bros. U port that's rumoured.

Captain Toad being added to Mario Tennis/Kart would be awesome but very unlikely. Maybe the announcement of the Mii outfits returning for Smash including Mii Brawler's Toad one?

D

Deleted member

Add me to the support list! I'd like to see another unique Mario character. :)

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Maaan.
My hype for this game crashed so hard after last month's direct. I haven't looked at the website at all. And this is the first time I've been back to this page since the direct last month.

With Toad's disconfirmation... I just can't get excited for this game anymore. And it sucks.

This is the fastest Toad/Captain Toad has been disconfirmed. So at least they didn't drag us all the way until December.

It was nice to see that you guys are still having Toad discussion, and it was nice to read your discussions!
Maybe I'll hang out around here a bit more often than I have been recently.

Maybe you guys can help pull me out of my slump. Cause at this point I don't even know when I wanna pick up the game. I'm not going to preorder it and I'm not gonna go out and buy it at launch.
My hype has crashed so hard that my mindset now is along the lines of "Eh. If I see it on the shelf and I happen to have 60 dollars in my pocket that day I'll pick it up."

Gah.
It sucks. And I wish I didn't feel this way. But I do.
Keep holding on to optimism for me guys! The Toad Brigade continues to stand strong!

D

Deleted member

Maaan.
My hype for this game crashed so hard after last month's direct. I haven't looked at the website at all. And this is the first time I've been back to this page since the direct last month.

With Toad's disconfirmation... I just can't get excited for this game anymore. And it sucks.

This is the fastest Toad/Captain Toad has been disconfirmed. So at least they didn't drag us all the way until December.

It was nice to see that you guys are still having Toad discussion, and it was nice to read your discussions!

Maybe you guys can help pull me out of my slump. Cause at this point I don't even know when I wanna pick up the game. I'm not going to preorder it and I'm not gonna go out and buy it at launch.
My hype has crashed so hard that my mindset now is along the lines of "Eh. If I see it on the shelf and I happen to have 60 dollars in my pocket that day I'll pick it up."

Gah.
Keep holding on to optimism for me guys! The Toad Brigade continues to stand strong!
Well mate I can certainly say that there is still plenty to be excited about in this game that's not the roster. The way things are shaping up this is looking like the best Smash game to date. New mechanics and such should make it loads of fun. Having a character you love with a slim chance to get in is rough, trust me I know I am a Waluigi fan. But if you love Smash before you should love this one as much if not more! Go into this with an open mind! The grass is always greener on the other side. Stay optimistic, it'll be a good time.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Maaan.

Gah.
Whilst I admittedly feel similar, this is the best representation of Toad to date in Smash. He's now standing strong, ready to bodyguard and throw fools who dare stand in his Princess's way instead of being forced haplessly to take hits. We're likely to get the Mii costume back too with any luck, and whilst the good Captain is most likely out for the base, the sales of Treasure Tracker will hopefully make Sakurai raise an eyebrow and at least acknowledge Captain Toad's popularity and success.

Stay strong buddy, the good Captain has a future, and Toad will no doubt continue to inch ever closer to playable fighter.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Has the topic arisen yet of that ad that was used back for the Sm4sh ads in Japan? Where Captain Toad said something along the lines of "waiting for tne next game?"
It was not so directly blunt, i"m just curious if that has been the topic of any conversation.

Captain Toad is not my most wanted character, but he is the current most blatant omission. He, even with a Toadette alt, seem like necessary pieces of Nintendo to have playable. But Toadette is just because it is possible and more variety. The Captain needs to rise.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Has the topic arisen yet of that ad that was used back for the Sm4sh ads in Japan? Where Captain Toad said something along the lines of "waiting for tne next game?"
It was not so directly blunt, i"m just curious if that has been the topic of any conversation.

Captain Toad is not my most wanted character, but he is the current most blatant omission. He, even with a Toadette alt, seem like necessary pieces of Nintendo to have playable. But Toadette is just because it is possible and more variety. The Captain needs to rise.
it was certainly discussed when it first appeared back in the day

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
it was certainly discussed when it first appeared back in the day
Seems to have more merit nowadays.

I'm not one to call this game a port, but I will say it was evidently in development long ago. It is the one time the Smash game was undoubtledly considered while the former one was in development. The ballot, the character dialogue (Join the batlle another day?), the call for Smash 6 jobs.

Let's talk about Captain Toad's former statement, if we have not yet.
If we have. Lets start again. This thread should be massive (well, does not need to be to mean anything), but bigger can help... until it hurts.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seems to have more merit nowadays.

I'm not one to call this game a port, but I will say it was evidently in development long ago. It is the one time the Smash game was undoubtledly considered while the former one was in development. The ballot, the character dialogue (Join the batlle another day?), the call for Smash 6 jobs.

Let's talk about Captain Toad's former statement, if we have not yet.
If we have. Lets start again. This thread should be massive (well, does not need to be to mean anything), but bigger can help... until it hurts.
it does give you the sense that there are people at nintendo who want toad in smash

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
If you or anyone else could dig it up, that'd be great. I can vaguely remember this happening but it's not quite hitting me.

Something I kind of remember that I'm sure was discussed on this thread is that Kinopio-kun (LINE Toad) was discussing some of Nintendo's upcoming releases, and something like he usually mentions that he won't be in the game (if it's Fire Emblem or something), but with Ultimate he didn't mention that. It could very well have been an overlook, but it certainly is interesting...

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman

If you or anyone else could dig it up, that'd be great. I can vaguely remember this happening but it's not quite hitting me.

Something I kind of remember that I'm sure was discussed on this thread is that Kinopio-kun (LINE Toad) was discussing some of Nintendo's upcoming releases, and something like he usually mentions that he won't be in the game (if it's Fire Emblem or something), but with Ultimate he didn't mention that. It could very well have been an overlook, but it certainly is interesting...
I don't think I have heard of this ad before. and definitely don't remember seeing it.
so yeah, if you or someone else could dig it up, I am quite curious

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I don't think I have heard of this ad before. and definitely don't remember seeing it.
so yeah, if you or someone else could dig it up, I am quite curious
Captain_Toad_explorer_Japan_event.png

TIME TO SEARCH!!!

So I had a bit of an explore, because as pupNapoleon pupNapoleon mentioned, this was indeed a thing. Around the time of Smash's release, the above image was released alongside this one:

oyasumi_chara.png

For those who are wondering exactly what that unique kanji in the little thought bubble is? Captain Toad is dreaming about competing in Smash Bros:
ridley112.png 1447816138864.jpg zqsbAql.jpg

As you can see that unique font is the same wording!

I'm trying for the life of me to remember what this originated from, whether it was the Captain reviewing other games(he was the spokesperson for Nintendo for a bit there) or Captain Toad Treasure Tracker promotion. Either way, someone at Nintendo gave the go ahead for the above image.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 162370
TIME TO SEARCH!!!

So I had a bit of an explore, because as pupNapoleon pupNapoleon mentioned, this was indeed a thing. Around the time of Smash's release, the above image was released alongside this one:

View attachment 162371
For those who are wondering exactly what that unique kanji in the little thought bubble is? Captain Toad is dreaming about competing in Smash Bros:
View attachment 162372View attachment 162374View attachment 162376

As you can see that unique font is the same wording!

I'm trying for the life of me to remember what this originated from, whether it was the Captain reviewing other games(he was the spokesperson for Nintendo for a bit there) or Captain Toad Treasure Tracker promotion. Either way, someone at Nintendo gave the go ahead for the above image.
i think it was on their website for smash or something

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Aha! So my mind wasn't playing tricks on me after all. Thanks for your expert tracking work, YoshiandToad YoshiandToad !

So it's yet another instance of Toad/Captain Toad fans being teased about a playable Smash role...honestly, will we ever catch a break? I want to know if there's another character who's gone through as many ups and downs as he has who isn't already in Ultimate (honestly, even before Ultimate I don't know if he had much competition for that title.)

I also have to wonder: did Sakurai ever seriously consider Toad/Captain Toad?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Toad ( ordinary Toad, not captain ) was my most wanted for Smash 4 ( at least he was my most wanted that didn't get confirmed. Thanks for Little Mac Sakurai!!! ) ...Always considered him one of the most essential Mario characters considering his near perfect attendence, he even had his own game before Captain Toad in Wario's Woods. Not to mention being playable in the most main line Mario games just behind Mario and Luigi. He certainly seemed more deserving than Rosalina and Bowser Junior imo. I even did a little bit of rallying for him on tumblr. Started an ask blog with artwork and everything to raise appreciation ( had to abandon it because it attracted too many weirdos and it stopped being fun. ) But think I have to accept that he's just never going to break free of Peach's moveset... I'm happy that the little guy is actually fighting the good fight with Peach instead of just flailing around as a scared meat shield. Makes me want to try to main Peach again after I abandoned her during Brawl ( for no particular reason )

Captain Toad would be a great consolation prize though... I don't want to count him out of the race because of the New Donk City thing just yet. There's precedent for background characters to still be eligible fighters. People joke about the alphonso thing a lot but I don't see why that's not viable when it's actually a real thing that happened ( not to mention dedede, villager, duck hunt, and donkey kong all being in the background of stages, and power-suit samus being part of Zero Suit Samus's final Smash. )

Add me to the supports.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Toad ( ordinary Toad, not captain ) was my most wanted for Smash 4 ( at least he was my most wanted that didn't get confirmed. Thanks for Little Mac Sakurai!!! ) ...Always considered him one of the most essential Mario characters considering his near perfect attendence, he even had his own game before Captain Toad in Wario's Woods. Not to mention being playable in the most main line Mario games just behind Mario and Luigi. He certainly seemed more deserving than Rosalina and Bowser Junior imo. I even did a little bit of rallying for him on tumblr. Started an ask blog with artwork and everything to raise appreciation ( had to abandon it because it attracted too many weirdos and it stopped being fun. ) But think I have to accept that he's just never going to break free of Peach's moveset... I'm happy that the little guy is actually fighting the good fight with Peach instead of just flailing around as a scared meat shield. Makes me want to try to main Peach again after I abandoned her during Brawl ( for no particular reason )

Captain Toad would be a great consolation prize though... I don't want to count him out of the race because of the New Donk City thing just yet. There's precedent for background characters to still be eligible fighters. People joke about the alphonso thing a lot but I don't see why that's not viable when it's actually a real thing that happened ( not to mention dedede, villager, duck hunt, and donkey kong all being in the background of stages, and power-suit samus being part of Zero Suit Samus's final Smash. )

Add me to the supports.
youre added watch out for the turnips we throw

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Aha! So my mind wasn't playing tricks on me after all. Thanks for your expert tracking work, YoshiandToad YoshiandToad !

So it's yet another instance of Toad/Captain Toad fans being teased about a playable Smash role...honestly, will we ever catch a break? I want to know if there's another character who's gone through as many ups and downs as he has who isn't already in Ultimate (honestly, even before Ultimate I don't know if he had much competition for that title.)

I also have to wonder: did Sakurai ever seriously consider Toad/Captain Toad?
I think it's fair to say Ridley went through similar pre Ultimate, but currently I don't think there's much competition.

I wish someone would question Sakurai about Toad. We've never been addressed!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This. I feel like the Nintendo Pantheon is incomplete without Toad and Meowth. Two famous Nintendo characters not yet in Smash and they get little demand. It's upsetting.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Thanks for the dig!

If I recall, this advertisement came out during the Smash advertising in Japan. Either in a magazine, or on subway billboards. Back when they had the four characters versus each other plastered all over train stations.

But it was a whole 24 months ago so who could really remember at all?

letsgetsmashing letsgetsmashing Welcome to the Toad conversation! I know you made a new thread that was closed, so please feel free to join us here.
(Also, friendly statement: the wall of text was visually very painful to read, it can be easier to digest a long post if you break it up with spaces and slightly more formatting).

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
*Bank Toad and Yellow Toad(he needs a name) to actually do something. Hint Toad is the only real aide in Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, so it'd be nice if the other two brigade members did something even if it was just run a shop. I feel like they didn't really have a role in the game.

*Have the coins unlock things; Odyssey showed the power of costumes for example; having Captain Toad being able to unlock various new outfits(with the crown being the final unlock again) would be pretty fun.

*Have more references to past Mario games. Have Captain Toad explore for example, a level in Isle Delfino, a planet from Galaxy, maybe a location even from Paper Mario.

*More bosses. With Wingo and Draggadon as the only two true bosses in the game at current(you never fight/beat Cookatiel), we could do with a few more. I still want Wario to be a surprise secret boss that you have to race down the Mine Carts collecting as many coins as you can. Honestly I think bringing back Wario's Woods rivalry between Captain Toad and Wario as rival treasure hunters would be great.

*A level based off Wario's Woods. Yep. Whether it's using the old Wario's Woods monsters as antagonists, including the wall walk ability, or requesting you stack a certain combination of enemies together to obtain a gem, I want some sort of level based on Toads first game too.

*MailToad and Toadsworth to also appear as NPCs.

The return of 3D World's levels as free DLC to the Switch and 3DS games would be wonderful. Actually I'd love it if 3D World got ported alongside the New Super Mario Bros. U port that's rumoured.

Captain Toad being added to Mario Tennis/Kart would be awesome but very unlikely. Maybe the announcement of the Mii outfits returning for Smash including Mii Brawler's Toad one?
Indeed, having a throwback to Wario being Toad's rival would be excellent! It would truly be quite like Wario's Woods to have a Treasure Tracker sequel eventually reveal the true mastermind behind the schemes to being Wario attempting to thwart Captain Toad's expedition. Wario's Woods could certainly use some more recognition - loved this game so much as a child.

In general, more replayability to unlocking costumes, accessories, etc would be a welcoming change. Also I wouldn't say no to a cameo from good ol' Toadsworth - it's been a while since this guy has showed up in a 3D Mario title! Perhaps some of the SMB2 bosses could make a return as well - Mouser, Birdo? I can just imagine a boss sequence where Captain Toad/Toadette must pluck bomb plants (akin to either SMB2 or WindWaker) in order to fight a Mouser chucking bombs at the shroomy hero.

Also I totally get what you mean @ jreed3842 jreed3842 - as someone who has anticipated for Toad since the Melee days, it really does sting to see Sakurai simply brush Toad off like this each time. Ridley fans also had a similar treatment, but this time around...we are just getting passed over by newer characters in the Mario series with not a single Toad even being on the roster as of yet. Sometimes I ponder how tough it is being a Toad fan, but seeing all the optimism from the Toad Brigade really does make me smile and keep supporting our favourite little shroom!

There are no other characters in the game so far that resemble Toad at all whatsoever, and it's odd to think one of the earliest Nintendo characters that I fell in love with is not even playable yet in a game celebrating all things Nintendo. Yes...he's no longer only a meat shield, but Toad is still not on the roster with the other big Mario characters. Despite countless playable appearances in the platformers and even starring in two of Nintendo's own games as the main character. Smash is a great series and I really do appreciate the amount of work they put into Ultimate...it's simply staggering! While I'll be picking up the game for sure, I still continue to hope Captain Toad is DLC despite his cameo in the background of New Donk City. Sakurai has done crazier things in the past...however, it's disturbing to think such a major character and species in the series is hardly even mentioned compared to the likes of Geno/Waluigi. Toad is the Nintendo character I want that has yet to make it onto the roster after being apart of this series for over a decade.

He might be a simple looking mushroom with just a headlamp, but I really hope Captain Toad pulls it through for all Toads! If not Smash, let's hope the success of Treasure Tracker does continue to make a lasting effect for both Nintendo and even Sakurai. Let's hope for the best! :D

Last edited:

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
It's weird to me that a lot of people don't find Toad's absence from Smash surprising. To me, he's the biggest and most iconic Nintendo 1st party not currently in the game. Toad's been playable in almost every Mario game and even starred in his own. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker to me is severely underrated as the title was so unique, which is not easy to do nowadays in gaming. I've still got a bit of hope that Toad just might get in this time around. And sometimes, a little hope is all you need. King K. Rool joined the family. Ridley got his day. The Belmonts finally made it. It's Toad's Time now.

Top Bottom