• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok people im kick starting a new toad support thread lets face we all support both of them so they might as well have a join thread

now then toad/c. toad has got plenty of moveset potential as im sure my fellow supporters know hes had speed, strength, fire flowers, ice flowers, boomerang flowers, super picaxes, throwing turnips, shooting himself out of canons all great choices for moves he could swing around sport utensils suddenly drive around a kart or maybe even throw mario party dice

toad is a character with large moveset potential so let us discuss how that can be put in smash

moveset ideas
mine
combo: a few jabs with a royal guard spear
strong side: simple kick
strong up: headbutts with large hat
strong down: plant pluck (like villager's)

dash: slides across ground similar to when going down a slide in 3d world/TT
side smash: swings down pickax
up smash: swings pickax over head
down smash: strikes both sides with pickax

neutral air: flails a bit
forward air: spear jab
back air: p. plant attack
up air: hat jab
down air: diamond drop

grab: potted piranha plant
pummel: p. plant bites down on foe
forward throw: p. plant headbutts foe
back throw: p. plant throws them behind
up throw: spins foe round throw them up
down throw: drops foe toad hits them with pot

neutral special: item throw, generates a random item and throws it, a turnip, a diamond, a bomb, enemies from TT & WW
side special: mine cart dash, charges forward in a mine cart, works similar to jr's but can be turned around
up special: propeller spin, shoots upwards using the propeller suit
down special: luck cat slam, turns into a cat toad statue and slams downwards (like kirby's)

final smash: toad brigade, he jumps into a starshroom and flies off screen, then the entire toad brigade each piloting their own starshroom tear through the stage rapidly at random places flying towards the background

and how do they jump with that back pack? they've got a feather from super mario kart in there

Laniv's
Jab: A simple one-two jab, followed up by a headbutt. 2%, 2%, 4%.
Forward Tilt: Toad rears back and slams his head, similarly to DK’s headbutt. 7%.
Up Tilt: Performs a short little hop, taking Mario’s iconic jump pose. 9%.
Down Tilt: As he crouches, Toad slides forward headfirst. This moves him forward in the direction he’s facing. 7%.
Dash Attack: Super Star: Toad runs forward with arms spread like an airplane, glowing with the power of a Super Star. He is completely invincible during this attack. 10%.

Forward Smash: Super Hammer: Using the Super Hammer, Toad swings a hammer as big as he is. 16.4%.

Up Smash: Toad points upwards as two mushrooms sprout up on either side of him. (think Squirtle’s up smash, but with mushrooms). 3.2% (initial hit), 14% (clean), 8.7% (late).

Down Smash: Boomerang Toad: Using the Boomerang Flower, Toad faces the screen and throws two boomerangs on either side of him. 15% (max range), 10% (point blank). The boomerangs go farther the more the move is charged.

Neutral Aerial: Toad releases spores in a quick burst around himself. 11%.
Forward Aerial: Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it forward. 7%. Toad will move forward slightly if he uses this attack.
Back Aerial: Reverse Raccoon Toad: Using the Super Leaf, Toad grows a raccoon tail and whips it behind himself. 8.3%. Toad will move backward slightly if he uses this attack.
Up Aerial: A headbutt, like what Ness and Lucas do. There's a sweet spot on the center of his head that releases spores. 17% (sweet spot), 11% (sides of head).
Down Aerial: Statue Toad: Using the Statue Leaf, Toad transforms into a statue and slams down hard. A meteor smash. 12.2% (clean), 8% (late). This move also has light armor for up to 9%. Try not to use this move offstage.

Grab: A standard grab with one hand. Nothing special here.
Pummel: Toad headbutts his opponent with his mushroom head. 1.2% per pummel.
Forward Throw: Toad lifts the opponent over his head and throws them with both hands. The animation resembles that in Super Mario Bros. 2. 10%. This is a kill throw!
Back Throw: Toad turns around to throw the opponent with both hands. 11%.
Down Throw: Toad drops his opponent on the ground, then hops and headbutts. 1.1% (first hit), 7% (throw).
Up Throw: Toad drops the opponent and points upward as a mushroom sprouts underneath, popping the foe upward. 12.4%.

Neutral Special—Poison Shroom: Toad throws a Poison Mushroom that looks markedly different from the item. It slowly moves along the ground in the direction Toad was facing when he used the move. If an opponent touches it, the Poison Shroom will explode in a small burst of spores, paralyzing the foe. At higher percentages, this move may poison the foe. 13% (initial hit), 4.5% (spores), 1.7% (poison damage)

Side SpecialGolden Mushroom Dash: Toad rushes forward at high speed, colliding with foes. Unlike with Banjo and Kazooie's Wonderwing, Toad can turn around up to two times. The attack gets weaker the longer he runs. However, as he runs, he is capable of outpacing many characters, even Sonic!

Up SpecialPropeller Mushroom: Using the Propeller Mushroom, Toad flies upward while spinning. The propeller damages opponents multiple times, and he descends slowly. Tap down to use a Drill Spin meteor smash! 2.3% (propeller), 6.4% (Drill Spin)

Down SpecialMystery Block: A ? Block appears above Toad, who bashes it to receive a power-up! Toad can get:

Fire Flower: Gives him a Fire Flower item to hold and use.
Super Mushroom: Gives him a Super Mushroom item, so that he may grow.
Green Shell: Gives him a Green Shell item to hold and use.
Super Star: Toad receives the power of a Super Star, making him invincible
Poison Mushroom: Shrinks Toad.

In order from most common to least common: Fire Flower, Green Shell, Super Mushroom, Poison Mushroom, Super Star.

Final SmashWarp Whistle: Toad takes out a Warp Whistle and plays that familiar tune, summoning a tornado that scoops opponents up and whisks them away! This Final Smash is very effective on stages with low upper blast lines. 34%.
swaps
mine

yoshiandtoad

Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma

fan made stuff
the toad medley march of the toads by pixel pasta

animated moveset by yoshiandtoad

fan newcomer poster by me

support list
Louie G.
YoshiandToad
_Sheik
08skidoosh80
25%Cotton
Albo
APC99
Arcadenik
Ariand/AEM
AustarusIVAustarusIV
Azure Warrior
BandanaDee
BandanaWaddleDee
Ben Holt
Berserker01(Leader of the Toad support thread)
BigAxle
BlueBubbee
BluePsychic
Brawler610
Brickbuild101
Captain Toad(whoa!)
Chandelure
Cheesedork
CliffJumper
Cobalsh
Con0rrrr
Craxian
Derposaur
Diddy Kong
domokl
Dragoncharystary
DukeNapoleon
Epic Neal Time
Falkoopa
FEEHEELINGGS...Wo Wo Wo
FireTheWFT
fogbadge
Gene
Geno Mallow
GM_3826
GreenReaperGod
Gold_Jacobson
GunGunW
HotNTasty
IceAnt573
Iggy K
Iko MattOrr
Inawordyes
JaidynReiman
Jigglover
jreed3842
Juliusaurus
KeniththeGatherer
Keybladeguy
Kirks21
Komenja
Kon*
kylexv
L2 Sentinel
LEGOfan12
Lord Goomy
Lucimar
Luigi#1
MagnusD3
Mask O' Gears
Megadoomer
memoryman3
Sir Gengar de Èctoplasma
Munomario777
NATGamer
Oz37
Pacack
Pikablu Pikachu
Pokechu
POKEMANSPIKA,
Princess Toady
Propeller Toad
Protom
random rendum
Reila
Reserved
Rosalina
Rasumii
Ridley_Prime
R.O.B.
Autumn ♫
Second Power
Servine
Shiny Porygon
Skyfox2000
Smashchu*
smashkirby
SmashRiver64
SmashWarrior202
sonicbrawler182
Sonic Poke
Spinosarus
Sun & Moon
SuperBrawler
T the Mewtwo fan
TCT~Phantom
Tepig2000
The Drilling Juggernaut
Thelimomon
TheNerdyOne_
UseHydroPimp
waichingliu81
warelander
Wintropy
wizardto1
WT!
Yetiplays
Yosher*
Young Horsetail
Zap tackle
zoroarkrules25
Zzuxon
Tortilla Noggin
Laniv
admN30
nimbostratus
CrossDispatcher
bowserlick
radical-beam
austarusiv
dr-turtle
CrusherMania1592
Lampy
nonno-umby
GalacticPetey
zack4812
smileMasky
Sailor Waddle Dee
Coofle DeDoofle
PsySmasher
AuraWielder
CWCPT00
gravitypuff
SEGAGameBoy
RandomAce
MBRedboy31
T-Donor66
TumblrFamous
Ed-boy
Cart Boy
ThoughtfulWanderer
Dan-Dude
Peridorito
Questionmark222
Hot_N_Tasty
DarthEnderX
TreeBranch
blazefan519
BonafideFella
Rocker
Mariomaniac45213
Groomer
thirsty-pocket
Golden Icarus
SUPER SMASH TOAD
RedDragon64
Lenidem
LH LH
Handy Man
Some Beedrill
TheBeastHimself
JDCabrera
kaithehedgefox
Dreamking
Cyborg Sun
RetrogamerMax
GoodGrief741
SpiritOfRuin
TheCJBrine
Amped_Form
Perkilator
janx_uwu
otoad64
crazybenjamin
doc-monocle
Yiptap
subterrestrial

Last edited:
One of my most wanted.

My perfect scenario would be Toad with a captain alt, as well as toafette alts, as unlikely as that is.

Treasure Tracker is one of the best hidden gems (heh) of the wii U
:061:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I still support Toad for Smash. Definitely. I also hope Captain Toad would be ported to the 3DS.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's think, how can Captain Toad jump, without jumping himself? My best idea is a spring comes out his backpack, downwards and sends him skyward.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's think, how can Captain Toad jump, without jumping himself? My best idea is a spring comes out his backpack, downwards and sends him skyward.
Maybe Captain Toad could pull out the Carrot (from Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins) to become Bunny Toad so he can jump.

Why not? Captain Toad already pulls out Turnips. Pulling out Carrots make sense too.

But he could also get the Frog Suit (from Super Mario Bros. 3) to become Frog Toad so he can jump and swim.

Oh, and I think Captain Toad 2 should be on Switch.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Re-release, sequel, I just want more of Captain Toad's adventures regardless.

And Toadette too. It was nice how they made her a secondary playable character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Re-release, sequel, I just want more of Captain Toad's adventures regardless.

And Toadette too. It was nice how they made her a secondary playable character.
It's nice that Toadette is playable in Captain Toad and Super Mario Run. I think Toad and Toadette should have been playable in New Super Mario Bros. games instead of Blue Toad and Yellow Toad.

I think Super Mario 3D World 2 should have a playable Toadette... and a playable Yoshi and a playable Birdo. This way, the game would have 2 plumbers, 2 princesses, 2 mushrooms, and 2 dinosaurs. Yes, I think Super Mario 3D World 2 should happen. :awesome:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It's nice that Toadette is playable in Captain Toad and Super Mario Run. I think Toad and Toadette should have been playable in New Super Mario Bros. games instead of Blue Toad and Yellow Toad.

I think Super Mario 3D World 2 should have a playable Toadette... and a playable Yoshi and a playable Birdo. This way, the game would have 2 plumbers, 2 princesses, 2 mushrooms, and 2 dinosaurs. Yes, I think Super Mario 3D World 2 should happen. :awesome:
Even better. Linear or not, I wouldn't mind if another follow up to 3D World were to happen.

Agreed. Toad and Toadette easily would have been better than the random Yellow and Blue Toads.

Oh, and I think Captain Toad 2 should be on Switch.
Heck, I'd take a Captain Toad re-release.
Maybe even a bundle with both games?

Agreed. Toad and Toadette easily would have been better than the random Yellow and Blue Toads.
I third this. They could've given Toad his Captain oufit to differentiate him from the NPC Toads.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe it would be nice if we got something like New Super Luigi U but with Captain Toad as the lead... call the game Super Toad Brigade or something.

Super Toad Brigade could be like New Super Mario Bros. games but all the playable characters are Toads. Captain, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, Purple, and Toadette all band together to save Mario, Luigi, and Peach from Bowser.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just finally want this to happen, Toad is a damn Nintendo classic All Star. One of the very few left actually. So I'll always support him.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I support him wholeheartedly, just like the old days. Too bad I can't be put on the supporters list though, since I'm already on there with my old name XD

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It baffles me to no end that Toad isn't already in the game.
Because Sakurai decided he should be an attack and Ganondorf and he's a stickler for traditions.

I wonder if Sakurai doesn't see Toad's moveset potential? I mean, prior to Captain Toad's debut as a playable character, Toad's abilities were mostly same as Mario and Luigi's (aside from sport games).

Still, if this is the case, Treasure Tracker should definitely make him realise Toad's potential.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I wonder if Sakurai doesn't see Toad's moveset potential? I mean, prior to Captain Toad's debut as a playable character, Toad's abilities were mostly same as Mario and Luigi's (aside from sport games).

Still, if this is the case, Treasure Tracker should definitely make him realise Toad's potential.
nah he just doesnt like toad

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Hello! I've never been on your support-list before, but I've always felt that having Toad act as a shield for Peach in a recycled counter move was a very big missed opportunity.

He was always "one of the gang", right alongside Mario, Luigi, and Peach, back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, as a result of Super Mario Bros. 2, after all!

Please add me! :grin:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hello! I've never been on your support-list before, but I've always felt that having Toad act as a shield for Peach in a recycled counter move was a very big missed opportunity.

He was always "one of the gang", right alongside Mario, Luigi, and Peach, back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, as a result of Super Mario Bros. 2, after all!

Please add me! :grin:
done, welcome aboard out starshroom of supporters

Laniv

Smash Lord
Oh, I support both Toads!

(Would prefer regular Toad, but Captain Toad's still cool!)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have some ideas what moves Toad / Captain Toad could have in Smash.

Dash Attack: Pickax
This move is similar to Luigi's dash attack where instead of swinging his arms around like Luigi does, Toad swings his pickax around.

Side Smash: Bomb Kick
Toad places a bomb in front of him and kicks it. The distance the bomb travels depends on how long the player charges the move. This move is based on Wario's Woods.

Up Smash: Somersault Kick
Toad squats and charges then he jumps high and does a somersault kick (like Guile's Flash Kick). The height of Toad's jump depends on how long the player charges the move. This move is based on charged jump animations in Super Mario Advance.

Down Smash: Poison Spores
Toad remembers how it was like to be Peach's bodyguard in past Smash games. Toad scatters poison spores around him.

B: Iceball
Mario throws red fireballs. Luigi throws green fireballs. Dr. Mario throws pills. Toad throws iceballs. Iceballs bounce like Mario's red fireballs but they freeze opponents like Lucas's PK Freeze.

Side+B: Double Cherry Pass
This move works similarly to Greninja's Shadow Sneak but Toad sends out a Toad clone instead of a shadow... and the Toad clone disappears when he tackles the opponent or when the player lets go of the B button.

Up+B: Propeller Toad
Toad propels very high while the blades on the propeller helmet hits opponents. Toad can descend slowly like Peach or speed the descent by pressing Down+A to drill down like Kirby's Aerial Down+A. It works just like it does in New Super Mario Bros. games.

Down+B: Turnip
It's the same as Peach's Vegetable move but Toad pulls turnips faster than Peach does just like in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Final Smash: Turnip Cannon
Toad gets in the turnip cannon and starts shooting turnips at wherever the aiming cursor is at. The player can control the aiming cursor with the control stick and shoot turnips with a button.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really would love SSB5 to have the following stages:

Super Bell Hill
Wario's Woods
Kingdom II (past stage from Melee)

I have some ideas what moves Toad / Captain Toad could have in Smash.

Dash Attack: Pickax
This move is similar to Luigi's dash attack where instead of swinging his arms around like Luigi does, Toad swings his pickax around.

Side Smash: Bomb Kick
Toad places a bomb in front of him and kicks it. The distance the bomb travels depends on how long the player charges the move. This move is based on Wario's Woods.

Up Smash: Somersault Kick
Toad squats and charges then he jumps high and does a somersault kick (like Guile's Flash Kick). The height of Toad's jump depends on how long the player charges the move. This move is based on charged jump animations in Super Mario Advance.

Down Smash: Poison Spores
Toad remembers how it was like to be Peach's bodyguard in past Smash games. Toad scatters poison spores around him.

B: Iceball
Mario throws red fireballs. Luigi throws green fireballs. Dr. Mario throws pills. Toad throws iceballs. Iceballs bounce like Mario's red fireballs but they freeze opponents like Lucas's PK Freeze.

Side+B: Double Cherry Pass
This move works similarly to Greninja's Shadow Sneak but Toad sends out a Toad clone instead of a shadow... and the Toad clone disappears when he tackles the opponent or when the player lets go of the B button.

Up+B: Propeller Toad
Toad propels very high while the blades on the propeller helmet hits opponents. Toad can descend slowly like Peach or speed the descent by pressing Down+A to drill down like Kirby's Aerial Down+A. It works just like it does in New Super Mario Bros. games.

Down+B: Turnip
It's the same as Peach's Vegetable move but Toad pulls turnips faster than Peach does just like in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Final Smash: Turnip Cannon
Toad gets in the turnip cannon and starts shooting turnips at wherever the aiming cursor is at. The player can control the aiming cursor with the control stick and shoot turnips with a button.
Those are really good ideas. In addition to those, I think the headlamp could be used in the moveset in some way, as well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Those are really good ideas. In addition to those, I think the headlamp could be used in the moveset in some way, as well.
im sure im not the only who's suggested smacking people with that headlamp

I really would love SSB5 to have the following stages:

Super Bell Hill
Wario's Woods
Kingdom II (past stage from Melee)
super bell hill would be a fun stage

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Count me as a supporter! Toad is long overdue.

Top Bottom