• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To tip, or not to tip?

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
As most people on this board know, the bulb at the end of Mewtwo's tail is disjointed. Since the rest of his tail has a hurtbox, it doesn't seem like hitting with any other part of the tail makes sense. However (and this may be wrong), it seems like some hitboxes on certain tail attacks do more damage/knockback closer to Mewtwo's body. If this is the case, in what situations do we want to tipper the tail, and when, if ever, do we want another part of the attack?

List of tail attacks:

-Ftilt
-Utilt
-Dtilt
-Uair
-Bair
-Ledge attack (sub 100%)
-Get up attack (lol)

~Frozen~

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Frozen491
3DS FC
3909-8017-8600
Ftilt and Uair are stronger at the tip, while the rest are stronger at the base iirc.

Utilt's probably the biggest example of trying to aim for different hitboxes at different times. The inner hit is the most powerful and the inverted angle allows you to combo off Away DI that's recommended for the other parts of the move. The tip on the other hand is capable of converting into moves like Fair at higher, potentially kill %'s. However, this part of the move is negative on hit at early %'s and is hilariously CC'able even at high %'s.

I'm not even sure if <100% ledge attack and getup attack have sweetspot/sourspots (I stand corrected! They do as described in InfinityCollision's post), though getup attack is still really good even with the tail size reduction.

Last edited:

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Ftilt and Uair are stronger at the tip, while the rest are stronger at the base iirc.

Utilt's probably the biggest example of trying to aim for different hitboxes at different times. The inner hit is the most powerful and the inverted angle allows you to combo off Away DI that's recommended for the other parts of the move. The tip on the other hand is capable of converting into moves like Fair at higher, potentially kill %'s. However, this part of the move is negative on hit at early %'s and is hilariously CC'able even at high %'s.

I'm not even sure if <100% ledge attack and getup attack have sweetspot/sourspots, though getup attack is still really good even with the tail size reduction.
I can see a glaring difference on F-tilt's tip, but I didn't know that Uair was the same. Explains why badly spaced float canceled Uair's are laughably CCed lol.

Top Bottom