• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To the seasoned Ike's here

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
I'm a player who loves using Ike. I love how much of a rarity he is and how different he plays. I've used Ike since early Brawl, but I feel like my progress in gaining skill with him has always been very slow. I don't have access often to offline play, so I'm stuck with for glory. I win a majority of my matches, but when someone good shows up, I struggle to maintain consistent victories.

I don't utilize boards like this because of anxiety, but I'm working that out now. To the seasoned players who would consider themselves high level, or even anyone who feels they've progressed a considerable amount: What do you all do to get better? On or offline.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Other than character knowledge/optimizing your inputs.

Many, many maaaany times of "oh, that works? What if I move around this way... Oh, that doesn't really work that well" over and over again until you're good. Just have to keep questioning your option choice.

Of course, knowing your own character is really your first step. Making sure your controls are on point is the second (I recommend C-stick set to attack for most Ike players. I personally also have L as jump to help with combos).

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I've mained Ike since Brawl too. Haven't even considered dropping him since I picked him up.

My advice:

1. Play the game/practice regularly.

2. Read the stickies.

3. Ask questions or discuss.

4. Watch other users of the character play.

In no specific order, but I'd highly prioritize number one. Implement what you learn, and learn even more from it. Experiment.

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
Other than character knowledge/optimizing your inputs.

Many, many maaaany times of "oh, that works? What if I move around this way... Oh, that doesn't really work that well" over and over again until you're good. Just have to keep questioning your option choice.

Of course, knowing your own character is really your first step. Making sure your controls are on point is the second (I recommend C-stick set to attack for most Ike players. I personally also have L as jump to help with combos).

I have c-stick to attack, x set to grab, z set to shield.

I have jump set for L, but for no particular reason... I almost always use y, unless I'm scratching my nose. How do you benefit with L being jump? I feel I have quick enough access to it on y.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I have c-stick to attack, x set to grab, z set to shield.

I have jump set for L, but for no particular reason... I almost always use y, unless I'm scratching my nose. How do you benefit with L being jump? I feel I have quick enough access to it on y.
If I need to double jump+aerial(c-stick), I press Y and then L + C-stick around the same time.

Always give this video. Ike vs fast characters shows how Ike can still play even if you minimize his moveset to only his fastest attacks most of the time. Generally, you want to play like this against most characters unless you have a good grasp on exploiting your opponent's weaknesses.

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
If I need to double jump+aerial(c-stick), I press Y and then L + C-stick around the same time.
Ah I've never thought of that. What cases would you need access to double jump that quickly?

Another question, I seldom put time into other characters. I'm considering learning sheik or fox, as much as I hate using popular characters.I feel the speed would help my dexterity and mindset when using Ike. Do any of you use subs and feel they've helped your gameplay with Ike?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ah I've never thought of that. What cases would you need access to double jump that quickly?

Another question, I seldom put time into other characters. I'm considering learning sheik or fox, as much as I hate using popular characters.I feel the speed would help my dexterity and mindset when using Ike. Do any of you use subs and feel they've helped your gameplay with Ike?
You need to have full control over your double jump for almost every throw, nair, and dtilt combo. If someone DIs in, you can just jump with Y and L and use the c-stick, while you would've missed if you used controlstick forward+A or took too long to tap the c-stick forward.

It's incredibly difficult to have more than 1 tournament-viable character unless you're already a high level player. Sub-characters however are very good at teaching you different aspects of the game that you may seldomly experience with your main. I use Gunner as a secondary to help develop my tech skill and traps for instance. Be prepared if you really want to use more than 1 in tournament.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
@ san. san. I've been having trouble optimizing my buffering, and hadn't thought that my control scheme could actually be part the problem (No Johns here). Having a second jump button available on the shoulder logically seems like a good way to optimize our ability to perform rising aerials. (For those at home, this is attacking while rising from a jump to help minimize or even cancel out landing lag.) Do you tend to use a Grab button, or use the Shield+A combo for your grabs as Ike?

@ B Baggy Playing as other characters is a great way to get a grasp of their limitations and strengths, which Ike needs to have a good grasp of if he wants to punish his foes for their mistakes. Once you feel like you've got Ike's character specifics down, I'd recommend playing the different modes on random (yes, even For Fun and For Glory if you feel comfortable) to see how well you can adapt to change and get a wide variety of MU personal experience. It helped me before the 1.0.4 patch when I was learning to fight against Geninja. As for a Sub, that seems to be something personal for some, but logically speaking it's an ideal once you've mastered Ike to the point where his weaknesses (and every character has them, even the almighty :4sheik:) are hurting you against some Match-ups. Since you are starting out, don't worry about that yet. You'll have plenty to learn by mastering Ike and using random to familiarize yourself with your opponents. :estatic:

Last edited:

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
@ san. san. I've been having trouble optimizing my buffering, and hadn't thought that my control scheme could actually be part the problem (No Johns here). Having a second jump button available on the shoulder logically seems like a good way to optimize our ability to perform rising aerials. (For those at home, this is attacking while rising from a jump to help minimize or even cancel out landing lag.) Do you tend to use a Grab button, or use the Shield+A combo for your grabs as Ike?

@ B Baggy Playing as other characters is a great way to get a grasp of their limitations and strengths, which Ike needs to have a good grasp of if he wants to punish his foes for their mistakes. Once you feel like you've got Ike's character specifics down, I'd recommend playing the different modes on random (yes, even For Fun and For Glory if you feel comfortable) to see how well you can adapt to change and get a wide variety of MU personal experience. It helped me before the 1.0.4 patch when I was learning to fight against Geninja. As for a Sub, that seems to be something personal for some, but logically speaking it's an ideal once you've mastered Ike to the point where his weaknesses (and every character has them, even the almighty :4sheik:) are hurting you against some Match-ups. Since you are starting out, don't worry about that yet. You'll have plenty to learn by mastering Ike and using random to familiarize yourself with your opponents. :estatic:
I only use shield+A for shield grab. I use the grab button for dash grab, pivot grab, and boost pivot grab. For standing grab, I may use one or the other, doesn't really matter. Finding the control scheme where you feel you can do everything you want easily can trump a lot of labbing and practice time.

All good advice. Sometimes you may not know that the character is stuck in lag in the air until they land for instance. It's up to you to figure a lot of that out and memorize.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
Best advice I could give is try and watch alot of good players and read as much as you can. Don't mimic the videos you watch, because that isn't thinking. It's copying, but use it to get an idea of how to improve your game.

Learn how to use your grabs because they are very good and most importantly know what you can do at different %'s. With that knowledge you will make your moves count and you have purpose to what you are doing. Condition your opponent to your advantage and pick up on habits. If you realize that when you approach with an aerial it gets shielded, try and empty hop to grab. Now they have to fear an attack or a grab when you jump. Things like that help your game and setups.

Learn how to edge guard. It's important. Learn the timing of the eruption edge guard and if you can't figure it out ask questions. Everyone here is really nice and is always open to help. If you wanna ask questions you can tweet me too @gnavas103 if you use twitter.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
There's a free e-book I read called "From Masher to Master: The Educated Video Game Enthusiast's Fighting Game Premier"

It's mostly about Street Fighter, particularly Street Fighter II, but the principles can be applied to any fighting game. Frames, spacing, zoning, cross-ups, etc, but what stood out most to me was when it discussed movesets.

It basically says that yes, your character has a butt-ton of tools and attacks, but when you get down to it there's really only 6 attacks you should be focusing on. Not to say that these other moves are useless, but there's usually these 6 attacks that are the best go-to options for most situations.

This is essentially adding on to what @ san. san. said about minimizing your moves. Jab, Grab, D-Tilt, N-Air, F-Air, and B-Air are what I'd consider the 6 main options for Ike, so I'd recommend focusing on those moves when you start using Ike.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
^Gotta put Uair in there after the most recent patch. Too good not to be a need to use move. Meaning Ike has 7 moves he should stick with because really, all of those moves are great.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
^Gotta put Uair in there after the most recent patch. Too good not to be a need to use move. Meaning Ike has 7 moves he should stick with because really, all of those moves are great.
U-Air is definitely really good, but I wouldn't consider it a "go-to" move since I *mostly* wouldn't be approaching with it, using it OoS, or trying to wall out my opponent with it.

Definitely great for killing off top, juggling, and reading air-dodges. You can even U-Air FF and get some combos, but that's all MU specific.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It's Ike's best platform pressure tool and juggling tool. Better than Nair and Fair at both of those things. And its one of the best anti-airdodge moves in the game period.

Considering how common juggling, platforms, and airdodging are, I'd say that makes it a go-to move. And after the last patch, I'd say its one of his top killing moves. Possibly THE killing move now outside of Eruption.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
It's Ike's best platform pressure tool and juggling tool. Better than Nair and Fair at both of those things. And its one of the best anti-airdodge moves in the game period.

Considering how common juggling, platforms, and airdodging are, I'd say that makes it a go-to move. And after the last patch, I'd say its one of his top killing moves. Possibly THE killing move now outside of Eruption.
Ok, I can see your point now. For the most part you'd still want to stick with the 6 moves mentioned, but for those situations U-Air takes the cake.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
The way i learned Ike was just learning his hitboxes first to find sweet spots, then looked up his good combos then fooled around with him in training. Since the 1.0.8 patch he is more viable than ever and now has a crazy aerial game and one of the earliest killing dash attacks

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
I would go Ftitl as well. It's fast, rangey and kills
Yeah I was wondering why f tilt wasn't mentioned, but all great advice.

Anyone here play online often? I'd like to play some of you and learn from you guys as well.

And also to you doom dragon, as far as videos go, I'm only familiar with Ryo. Any other players I can keep tabs on?

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
Yeah I was wondering why f tilt wasn't mentioned, but all great advice.

Anyone here play online often? I'd like to play some of you and learn from you guys as well.

And also to you doom dragon, as far as videos go, I'm only familiar with Ryo. Any other players I can keep tabs on?
Ryo is pretty much the only Ike player that is somewhat known. If youre up for it ill play you

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ftilt is a good tool, but its a lot more niche than the 7 things mentioned.

Think of it this way: tally up how many times you use each move in a set. Ftilt is going to be pretty low compared to those 7.

Baggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Baggysama
Ftilt is a good tool, but its a lot more niche than the 7 things mentioned.

Think of it this way: tally up how many times you use each move in a set. Ftilt is going to be pretty low compared to those 7.
Good point, you're right. It's useful, but more situational than the ones mentioned.

Some more questions for you all (sorry for so many): I very much prefer FD stages over platforms in all matchups solely because it's the kind im most comfortable and familiar with. I'm sure I'm wrong in thinking this way though. Are there stages that Ike benefists most from? How do platforms assist him?

And I've met @ PyroTakun PyroTakun and he's seen me play. He's brought to my attention that I have a habit of exclusively using up-throw instead of down throw unless I'm at kill percent. I had the mindset of keeping d-throw fresh so that it'll be more guaranteed to kill when I'm at that range. Am I overthinking the knockback staling on Ike's throws?

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Ike has one of the best platform pressure tools in the game (Uair, can shield poke and punish spotdodges/rolls on a platform). Out of a short hop, Fair can reach high enough to hit somebody on the top battlefield platform. Utilt and Usmash are both useable platform punish options as well.

While on a platform, Ike's Uthrow -> Uair is going to kill sooner, same with just Dthrow. He can also do walk-off Bair to somebody below him or try to Dair them through the platform. If it lands, you'll have additional combo options.

Platforms also mean more QD landing spots when recovering from high off stage. More options = less damage taken.

Dreamland 64 is his best stage most likely overall. Wind doesn't bother him much. Halberd is pretty great with the low ceiling same with Delfino. Battlefield is a good staple.

After the patch Smashville isn't terrible for Ike. I personally find it too small however. Awkward to space on against some characters. And don't take Sheik there. Ever.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Ike has one of the best platform pressure tools in the game (Uair, can shield poke and punish spotdodges/rolls on a platform). Out of a short hop, Fair can reach high enough to hit somebody on the top battlefield platform. Utilt and Usmash are both useable platform punish options as well.

While on a platform, Ike's Uthrow -> Uair is going to kill sooner, same with just Dthrow. He can also do walk-off Bair to somebody below him or try to Dair them through the platform. If it lands, you'll have additional combo options.

Platforms also mean more QD landing spots when recovering from high off stage. More options = less damage taken.

Dreamland 64 is his best stage most likely overall. Wind doesn't bother him much. Halberd is pretty great with the low ceiling same with Delfino. Battlefield is a good staple.

After the patch Smashville isn't terrible for Ike. I personally find it too small however. Awkward to space on against some characters. And don't take Sheik there. Ever.
Yeah I'm going to agree that DL/BF are amazing stages for Ike, especially Dreamland. Platforms have always been a staple for Ike. Helps keep the enemy in that constant "above you" state that he loves so much. Up throw up air is probably one of my favorite kill setups in the game. It's about as satisfying to get an airdodge read with up air as it is to get an airdodge read with a knee. There's just something about the hangtime or something, it just feels and looks awesome.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
If you want some Ike specific information about stages, we have a Stage Discussion thread that's been stickied I'd recommend looking at. It's still a little young, so the number of stages covered isn't as high as I'd like but it does cover some of the more popular picks Ike players will use for Stages. As you play more, you can help us fill it in. The goal is to not only keep open discussion on Ike's changes for Stages (currently we just finished re-evaluating Final Destination), but to also have a compiled pros and cons list to skim over for our reference during tournaments.

Any other players I can keep tabs on?
Ryo is good. Videos on Ryuga and Stark have been floating around that have some good stuff to watch. Our video thread also has some videos from _Rango_ and a few others that show some good stuff. (That thread is for asking advice on play style and such, but quite a few videos and their follow-up discussions can show some good MU specific strategies.)

Last edited:

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
U-Air is great for platform pressure, U-Smash reaches the entire platform on stages like Battlefield and Lylat, and I've had some success with U-Tilt too.

As for the throws, it's like I explained before, D-Throw is the better throw with guaranteed follow-ups until around 40% or so, then you can switch to U-Throw. Don't worry about making any of his throws stale, and I forget the percentages, but I believe U-Throw into U-Air works until like 80 or 90%, and kills if you get it on a platform.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
There's a free e-book I read called "From Masher to Master: The Educated Video Game Enthusiast's Fighting Game Premier"

It's mostly about Street Fighter, particularly Street Fighter II, but the principles can be applied to any fighting game. Frames, spacing, zoning, cross-ups, etc, but what stood out most to me was when it discussed movesets.

It basically says that yes, your character has a butt-ton of tools and attacks, but when you get down to it there's really only 6 attacks you should be focusing on. Not to say that these other moves are useless, but there's usually these 6 attacks that are the best go-to options for most situations.

This is essentially adding on to what @ san. san. said about minimizing your moves. Jab, Grab, D-Tilt, N-Air, F-Air, and B-Air are what I'd consider the 6 main options for Ike, so I'd recommend focusing on those moves when you start using Ike.
When should I use f-air? Is it only good for edgeguarding?

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
When should I use f-air? Is it only good for edgeguarding?
F-Air is just an overall good tool. It combos off of D-Throw,U-Throw, D-Tilt and sometimes N-Air, creates a wall for spacing, good for edgeguarding, etc

The more you use it the more you'll see the flexibility of the move and when to use it.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
F-air is a great tool, though I'll say be careful not to fall into the trap of over-using it. Combos, edgeguarding and as a defensive tool (Retreating F-airs are a lovely thing!) I find are the best uses for it. I don't recommend it much for an offensive starting tool (for starting combos, especially on a grounded target), except for maybe some platform play. For example if using F-air to cover ground on a stationary target, you'll find yourself shield-grabbed pretty fast. At max reach you can sometimes be safe against slower characters, but a large part of the cast can punish you if they power shield it.

Don't fall into the trap of having F-air being your default offensive opener, like I did. It's a hard habit to break.

Prepare_Yourself

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-6422-0231
I use it out of down throw and as an edgeguard tool (with a baited airdodge on the side, when I can). I'll have to try it as a defensive option while retreating.

Top Bottom