• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Summit 3: To the Moon

In a little under an hour, the final votes will be tallied for the third iteration of Smash Summit. Among the 4 players left is Ryan “The Moon” Coker-Welch, a top Marth talent from the East Coast. Having played only since 2011, The Moon has taken sets off of top talent, been one of the most electrifying personalities on and off the mic, and below is his case for why he wants your votes for Smash Summit 3.

Rising Moon

Having been introduced into the scene by Tarik “Luck” Johnson, The Moon was in the right place at the right time to be caught up in the whirlwind that is competitive Melee. “(Luck is) a good friend of mine from college. He taught me the basics of Melee and later I met D'Ron "D1" Maingrette in our college and became great friends. I later started to practice with Hendrick "DJ Nintendo" Pilar and the rest was history.”

Photo Credit: Matt Demers via Flickr. CC BY 2.0 , modified for cropping .​

Waxing and Waning

While Melee may be 15 years old, The Moon likes to look at Melee from a fresh and exciting point of view. “The evolution of the game and community is young. The replay value alone keeps my drive alive, especially when there’s so many ways to play this game.” Plus, honest as always, The Moon added in: “plus, nostalgia. Who doesn’t like Nintendo characters?”

As for his spot in the summit, the Moon has no concerns for whether or not he deserves it. “I have what it takes to compete with the 15 other players in the house, and getting invited alone would give me a great opportunity to showcase my skills and challenge myself among the greatest players in the world. I also love to interact with the Twitch chat and have an amazing personality to bring to the table.”

In addition to his personality and desire to grow as a player, the Moon has been a tidal force of terror this year for anyone he’s faced in bracket, defeating Lucky (The Big House 6), Kels (BH6), Westballz (WTFox 2), Dizzkidboogie (WTF2), and Duck (WTF2), as well as taking Mango to game 5 as recent as the Big House 6, a few weeks ago.

Photo Credit: MeleeEveryday and Ayub Arain via Facebook. CC BY 2.0 , modified for cropping .
Full Moon
The Moon is known for many things - his play with his infamous White Marth, his commentary, his devastating doubles team “Grab and Go” with DJ Nintendo; and now, you have the power to send this mainstay of Melee to the Smash Summit.

If you think he’s earned it, head over to smash.gg now and submit your votes for the last stage of Summit voting; and of course, The Moon would love to thank everyone who’s supported him so far, especially his New York friends for giving him the pep talks he needed to throw his hat into the ring for Smash Summit Voting.

_________________________________​

Until next time, I’m PlayOnSunday, and no matter how you vote, use your votes wisely!

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

Top Bottom