• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TO Talks: PG | Bear On Vegas Cup And More!

Welcome to our first TO Talks! In this series, we will talk to famous tournament organizers on upcoming events, recaps from majors, tournament tips, and more. For our first TO talks we got Vegas TO Bear. Bear is a manager for Panda Global Gaming, one of the tournament organizers for Genesis 3, and a local TO in Vegas. Bear gives his tips on time management, talks about his history hosting, and discusses the upcoming tournament series Vegas Cup.

---​

SmashCapps: So Bear, introduce yourself to anyone who doesn't know who you are!

PG | Bear: My name is Bassem Dahdouh, most call me Bear in the Smash Bros scene. I dabbled with competitive Smash Bros back in 2007 and 2008 with Melee & Brawl. Nothing bigger than locals and store tournaments.

SmashCapps: So what got you into TOing over playing?

PG | Bear: I saw how tournaments ran and thought that I could do a better job because I really enjoy planning and running events. I did so all the time during college and my workplace for non Smash Bros events. TOing came to me naturally in 2014 when I decided to get into the competitive Smash Bros scene with Smash 4 in Las Vegas.

SmashCapps: So tell me, what was the first event you hosted and how have your events grown over time?

PG | Bear
: My first tournament I ever hosted alone was Double Vegas Down Attack #1 in October 2014 for Smash 4 on the 3DS. It was a solid group of 17... Well at first that was plenty for me when I began. Each Double Vegas Down Attack tournament series grew bigger and bigger. #2 had 27, #3 had 32, and then #4 was the first Wii U version with a whopping 114 entrants in November 2014. I thought that was great, but I was wrong.

SmashCapps: You were wrong? What was larger than that?

PG | Bear: The largest Smash 4 tournament in 2014 was actually Double Vegas Down Attack #5 with 220 entrants. It was honestly the most overwhelming experience as a TO, but it was very rewarding as I fell on my face but had good people to consult me and bring me up stronger for 2015. We had the most stacked tournament that I did no expect at all. Notable names were: ZeRo, Sky Williams, FOW, Tyrant, K9, Rich Brown, SS, BAM, MJG, DSF, SK92, Nexus, Zex, DeLux, Z and many more. We went to 4AM for Grand Finals, and I still remember walking into my house with my dogs ready for their morning walk. It was worth it. Even with the long one day tournament, people still appreciated my effort and still came back for the next ones after that.

Miracle Mile Shps, Partner Of New Series Vegas Cup

SmashCapps
: And now you're hosting a brand news series in the Vegas Cup. What kind of work does it take to start something that big?

PG | Bear: #VegasCup is starting off very humble, but is definitely going all out in every aspect to ensure a total complete experience for the competitors, spectators, stream and overall event. I have wonderful new partners with Gouki.com and Anime Revolution at the Miracle Miles Shops in Planet Hollywood. We aren't just planning to run Smash 4 tournaments, we are going to incorporate a series system to alternate FGC games every week or so (depending on schedules) to bring a true Friday/Weekend fighting game night right on the Las Vegas Strip.

SmashCapps
: What inspired you to start a new tournament series?

PG | Bear
: I wanted to start a new series at a new location because I wanted to run a FGC tournament event in Las Vegas on the actual Las Vegas Strip to break the notion that Las Vegas is a July only time of year to visit for FGC. The city thrives on tourism, and we cater to it 100%. We are the best hosts in the world, and we can definitely show a grassroots combination of a FGC TO like Gouki from Gouki.com and a Smash 4 TO like myself can deliver an exceptional experience.

The tl;dr of what people really want to hear is the following:

• Guaranteed pot.
  • Pot bonuses.
  • Cosplayers on site as characters related to the game that night.
  • National sponsorships in the works with partners.
  • Weekend events on the Las Vegas Strip
  • A reward system in works for those who frequent the series.
  • Smash 4
  • SFV
  • FGC

Some of the cosplayers set to be at the event with TO PG | Bear

SmashCapps
: This sounds like a LOT to organize. As you're also doing work for Genesis 3 and have a job among other things, how do you manage your time? I bet that's a TO secret a LOT of people would LOVE to know

PG | Bear
: The secret is I go 0-2 at tournaments for a reason.

SmashCapps
: whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat (laughs)

PG | Bear: Well honestly it's time management. I work full-time at the airport in Las Vegas under the Terminal Operations division, just finished my master degree at UNLV, planning a wedding with my fiancée, Genesis 3 TO work, Vegas Smash 4 admin, and the #VegasCup tournament series startup. And yes I do still have time for family, including my dogs, and exercise. A lot of yoga and lifting heavy weights helps me cope with the sheer volume of work I try to tackle.
Writing it down is the best thing. Having a planner where I have chunks of time dedicated to a purpose is really important.
This applies to everything that just a TO. You can do it as a top player, a streamer, and a writer.

SmashCapps: Do you have any priorities that come before eSports?

PG | Bear: For me I do have priorities that do take precedent over eSports
  • Family & Dogs
  • Work
  • Health
  • eSports
I always put my family before anything. I dropped out of many locals and didn't travel because my dog was extremely sick in March, April, and May. Thankfully the big lug is doing great after raising funds amongst the local Vegas Smash community at a few of my tournaments and holistic treatment.

PG | Bear's Two Dogs Dressed For The Holidays

SmashCapps
: One interesting thing on the Vegas cup is it's limited to 32 entrants for the very first one, can you explain why it's so low? Will spectators still be allowed to watch?

PG | Bear: It's due to the space of the store and to appease investors. We want to obey fire codes, but we are eager to prove to the management at Planet Hollywood to have a bigger space and hopefully be able to have a ballroom in the future for the #VegasCup series.

SmashCapps: So 32 is definitely not the cap limit for the future if all goes well. How big do you hope this eventually will be?

PG | Bear
: I used to run 128+ tournaments regularly. Our goal is to go big. It's Vegas. It's not difficult if I have the space and the setups. That's all that matters to me is a comfortable overall experience.

SmashCapps: Will people at home be able to tune in and watch the event, get a taste of Vegas Smash? any big names coming thus far?

PG | Bear: It should have Should have Z, Lycan, Sk92, and most likely FOW. We will have a live stream via Goukitv.

SmashCapps: Any last big things you want to plug before our talk after G3? Sage words of TOing wisdom?

PG | Bear: Support your local scene and don't shy from helping a TO. Always take criticism gladly and be humble people actually show up to your events. A TO is absolutely nothing if no one believes in you and likes your way of organizing. For an odd reason, people really enjoy my TO experience and I attribute that to be many years of customer service experience and just my openness and personality. I'm forever grateful for the local Vegas Smash 4 scene in believing in me. And without them I'd be nothing.

---​

A special thank you to Bear for agreeing to this interview. To help promote the store and new tournament series a giveaway is taking place that's details can be found here. To catch up with Bear himself be sure to follow him on Twitter. Our next TO talk will be after Genesis 3 to get Bear's thoughts on the tournament after the event. Have a question for Bear? Let us know in the comments below and you might be featured in our next TO Talks!

Comments

Love you Bear! Do a video next time though so I can hear your beautiful voice and see your doggies! You're the best!

Hopefully my horrible work schedule won't stop me from being able to make it to these, but I'm not holding my breath.

Top Bottom