• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To people experienced w/ character design: Cinderace Critique?

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
Been thinking of making a video for a while now on my problems with the character Cinderace: Pokemon from the newest gen/ Smash hopeful. I'm guessing you all know her/him/them

So my issue is I've got some points for the vid but no good actually design/visual critique. Anyone here with experience care to give some critique on the character for me? What does the design say to you? Does the design stick out from other Pokemon to you?

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Been thinking of making a video for a while now on my problems with the character Cinderace: Pokemon from the newest gen/ Smash hopeful. I'm guessing you all know her/him/them

So my issue is I've got some points for the vid but no good actually design/visual critique. Anyone here with experience care to give some critique on the character for me? What does the design say to you? Does the design stick out from other Pokemon to you?
Cinderace's design is heavily based on professional soccer players. Hence the shorts and even the red hair mimicking some of the hairstyles that they tend to have. A lot of his animations replicate soccer players, from how they kick a ball to how they celebrate.

The thing about character design, or design in general, is how well the design's purpose is fullfilled. Cinderace is a fire rabbit based on soccer players. I'd say personally the design does well based on this intent.

I have an issue with how saturated it looks, though that's based on the entire game rather than just Cinderace itself. There's also the issue some may have with anthropomorphizing the starters but that's mainly due to personal preference.

Put Out <3

Smash Rookie
Cinderace's design is heavily based on professional soccer players. Hence the shorts and even the red hair mimicking some of the hairstyles that they tend to have. A lot of his animations replicate soccer players, from how they kick a ball to how they celebrate.

The thing about character design, or design in general, is how well the design's purpose is fullfilled. Cinderace is a fire rabbit based on soccer players. I'd say personally the design does well based on this intent.

I have an issue with how saturated it looks, though that's based on the entire game rather than just Cinderace itself. There's also the issue some may have with anthropomorphizing the starters but that's mainly due to personal preference.
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time and offering some defenses of Cinderace.

That said, is anyone able to offer me some criticisms of its design? Surely even with these defenses it's not as if everyone sees the design is flawless. So I'm curious

also to reply to the other thing you said, I don't recall saying anything about finding Cinderace's color palette over saturated. Is that a criticism you've heard others parrot?

Top Bottom