• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Dair or not to Dair

StylesUponStyles

Smash Rookie
NNID
An_Entire_Banana
So in my usual sparring with my more knowledgeable friend, I was informed about meteor cancelling. Coming from a Smash 4 background primarily, this mechanic surprised me. More than that though, it made me wonder.

If Dair can be meteor cancelled, when is the appropriate time to use it when off stage, if ever? I know it has some great utility when still on stage for bouncing the opponent around and setting up combos, but is it as useful off stage? Should other off stage options be considered more strongly? Perhaps Dair should only be used when it's unexpected.

Really though, I guess I'm just looking for community thoughts. When do you think Dair the correct decision off stage?

PurpSSB

Smash Rookie
The only time i use stomp offstage is if a spacey is recovering with up B below me i ledge hop stomp or stomp right at the ledge to send them back down. it forces them to meteor cancel and if they get it then i have time to grab the ledge or stomp again or whatever i want to do, and if they miss it then its a free stock.

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
It takes 16 frames for a meteor cancel to come out in PM, which lets your opponent fall quite a distance.

Dair is very useful against characters with lackluster vertical recoveries, such as DK, Bowser, Mario/Peach/Squirtle/a lot of characters without a double jump. Done low enough (I'm talking around stage level), many characters are forced to either not reach the ledge or have reaching the ledge as their only option.

Of course, the hitbox comes out at frame 16 (at least it did in Melee, and I'm confident it hasn't changed), so opponents can easily interrupt it with an aerial hitbox. Once it does come out, it has a decent disjoint. For a given character, try to find situations in which they can't put out a big enough hitbox or any hitbox at all so you can send them down.

Styro

Smash Rookie
I would say don't constantly go for the Dair off stage, but use it as a mix up. Every once in a while you can catch your opponent with it and they will miss the meteor cancel. I especially like Dthrow to Dair when close the ledge.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
ummmmm
meteor canceling is definitely in smash 4

And also you can't always meteor cancel falcon's dair. The fire hitbox spikes.

You can use dair to cover ledge, through the stage sometimes.

Xtra_Crispy

Smash Cadet
Always. Use. The nipples.

But dair edgeguards (or more of comboing into a dair offstage falco style) is decent against spacies because of the startup on their upB. Since it takes so long, it gives you enough time to readjust and continue the edgeguard even when they meteor.

Against falcon and ganon, ledgehop dair for swag can work on low recoveries since if they meteor cancel, odds are they will grab you and you can techjump knee but again, that's nowhere near optimal. Then again, who plays falcon and doesn't style?

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
ummmmm
meteor canceling is definitely in smash 4

And also you can't always meteor cancel falcon's dair. The fire hitbox spikes.

You can use dair to cover ledge, through the stage sometimes.
I don't think meteor canceling is in smash 4. You can wall tech it, but you can't jump cancel it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom