• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To combo with marth?

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
Hi, so I've been trying to get back into smash and I've been playing some project M (it's become my favorite as of now) and I want to know some things about Marth.

So I see people in Melee comboing with Marth like hell, and while I know half of it is skill, but the other half is knowledge I'm assuming

Knowledge about canceling certain frames I suppose?

Because, for instance, comboing after a grab or being able to jump up, attack, and then go back down immediately... it doesn't seem to be working for me.

When I play PM or Melee the same issue does occur, I can't get down quick enough with Marth to jump up and attack again for continuous combo potential. I would just like to understand the possibilities that could be the reason why I'm doing poorly. If there are cancels I should know about then please tell me them

(I know about L Cancel but I don't think that would help me as it is used for landing lag after a move which is not my issue. I'd just like to know the cancels that Marth players use to make comboing easier, if there are any.)

D

Deleted member

Try to connect things logically. You are somewhat correct, but the knowledge would be mostly knowing where/when to sweet/sour spot.
For example: Fair (Tippered) would knock up, so i would use the range of Fair to connect a half sour/sweet fair to knock horizontally.

masterpad

Smash Journeyman
the tip of the sword should be avoid at the beginning of the combo, of course FastFall+lcancel helps

Gen.Excel

Smash Rookie
It's all pretty much muscle memory of what move to use off knowing opponent's percentage, following their DI after being hit, and so on.

For example, upthrow a fox onto a platform. To get that shorthop upair to follow three out of four of his tech options you need to actually delay the fast fall slightly which a lot of marths find hard to do. I suggest this thread for more examples, it has really helpful explanations on how to optimize your marth play.

Marth is all about timing, and as long as you have opponents to grind combos out on, you'll get better and learn what works and what doesn't.

Top Bottom