• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Tired of losing, want to be better.

Kainomura

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-5969-7094
I have played for around 200 hours and I feel like I haven't improved a single bit through FG.
What so ever, have no main. I played every character but none of them feels satisfying to control. Any recommendation to start with is highly appreciated.

I don't have a Wii U. I just got Smash 3ds through eShop with a discount price.

Much appreciated,

Kainomura

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Improvement does take time, but y'all should spend more time in practice mode to work on techniques and what-not. Of course, these won't do much unless y'all can adapt to your opponent online, and this is what any Smasher will tell you.

As for choosing a main, y'all can check out the Mains Advice Thread to decide on a main character.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I have played for around 200 hours and I feel like I haven't improved a single bit through FG.
What so ever, have no main. I played every character but none of them feels satisfying to control. Any recommendation to start with is highly appreciated.

I don't have a Wii U. I just got Smash 3ds through eShop with a discount price.

Much appreciated,

Kainomura
The most important thing to remember when trying to get better is to simply practice and be patient.

200 hours may seem like a lot, but it's not. You should also be aware that given For Glory's nature it's not the greatest way to practice. It lacks character variety and normally For Glory players aren't the greatest. I suppose it depends on how lucky you are when it comes to the match making process, but you can end up facing a lot of terrible opponents (spammers, etc) without fail.

The perks it DOES give however, is the fact you can find matches just about instantly and are able to practice against human opponents, no matter how good or bad they may be. It's a good alternative if you don't have anyone to play Smash with.

Just keep in mind you might end up having lousy luck and know there's not a lot of variety there character wise.

As for tips on how to get better...?

1. Read up on Guides and/or look at Videos on Youtube
Reading guides or watching videos can help a bunch as they can give you a wide variety of information on characters, techs, and more that you may of not previously known about. Please keep in mind to always check the date though! We've received a lot of updates since its release, so a guide dating back from two years ago might not be very useful to you. There's a lot of them!

2. Observe Your Flaws!
We all have habits. Each and every one of us does something that we may not even be aware of. It's important to recognize your flaws. Watch replays, or better yet, get someone to watch them for you and give you advice on what you did incorrectly or right.

3. Always try to Practice against Human Opponents
CPUs really aren't that helpful, even if you bump them up to the highest difficulty. CPUs simply don't take advantage of what a human player might take advantage of. A prime example would be a CPU Bayonetta. It doesn't recover correctly with her, nor does what she's capable of at all. Besides, a human player can read you and adjust their habits to make them unpredictable as well.

As I mentioned earlier, For Glory isn't the best but it can be used when you really want to do quick matches. I would suggest to use SmashBoards instead though. We have Threads for both the 3DS and Wii U that's strictly for finding opponents. Use them!

4. THE BIGGEST AND MOST IMPORTANT THING LIKE, EVER: ... Remember to Enjoy Yourself
A lot of people focus so much on trying to get better they start getting stressed or impatient. They expect it all to happen instantly and they start doubting themselves. Point is, most focus so much on improving they stop enjoying the game and start hating it.

Please, PLEASE be patient. We all get better through time. This game doesn't control your life or impact it whatsoever.

Remember to have fun, and remember it's going to take time. Even if you don't see yourself improving, you probably are.

Last edited:

Kainomura

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-5969-7094
Much appreciated with your feedbacks.

First I looked deeper at a very important step, to which charcater that looks interesting. I think Falco, Pit, Mario and Roy are interesting characters. Mostly Falco because I like his personality and attitude, same could go to Roy because his sword of seals looks awesome.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Get the character you're most interested in playstyle-wise, and fight lvl 3 CPUs with them (1v1). Do so for 10-15 mins until you have a "flow" with them.

Then crank the difficulty up a lil higher (lvl 5-6 or sum) and pick a stage like battlefield or sum, and try to avoid the opponent as much as possible (play really lame, "cowardly," etc... run away as much as possible). The goal here is to avoid getting hit. Practice your movement, learn the pivots, learn to dashdance, and other tricks. Alternative between those two things until you feel comfortable with your character.

Now, either play and grind on For Glory (until your win rate goes way up, or delete your online stats and start over. Reason being you get paired with stronger people when you go on hot streaks (in my experience, this happened a ton). The trick to getting quality matches in FG is to use the name "3/5" on weak opponents in order to keep focused and not waste time ( on stronger opponents, play them until they leave or you start to hit large streaks on them). The goal is to fight someone stronger than you so you can level up.

Or play on smash ladder. This is less accessible, but better quality on average. You don't have to setup a proper regimen like the above, but you just have to be consistent with going on the website to play with others. If you don't think that can happen, just get your setup together on FG just in case and apply the above.

Record every match that shows you losing (you shouldn't worry if it was fraudulent. If you were focused it won't be). Watch the vids until you understand what you're doing wrong. If you just can't understand, watch pro vids and see what they do. Don't just imitate, understand, challenge, and integrate it into your gameplan with wisdom.

Resources:

Last edited:
Top Bottom