• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips with fastfall up air?

SackThing101

Smash Rookie
For some reason, after all time I used Greninja, I cannot fastfall up air, especially after a fullhop. I also switched from a Classic Controller to a Gamecube controller, so that even worsens it for me.

So do you guys have any tips for fastfall up air, mostly from a full hop?

Onyxsbayne

Smash Cadet
It's easier to perform if when you short hop, use the c stick to perform your up air as opposed to hitting up A on your analog stick.

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
Left thumb down, right thumb up! The only issue really is figuring out what button to map jump to, some folks put it on L so that they don't have to move their right thumb from Y to the C-stick. Personally, I don't mind moving my thumb from Y to C.

I'd recommend going into training mode and just short hop fast fall uair across the stage until it feels natural.

SackThing101

Smash Rookie
The thing is, whenever i have the opponent in my uair, Greninja doesn't fastfall when he's hitting the opponent. Am I supposed to fastfall before the uair orrr....

Also, whenever I go from Y to the c-stick, I usually end up doing a special attack whenever i slide it down. Perhaps I do need adapting to the new controller, maybe.

This is irrelevant, but setting L as jump makes nair to footstool a lot easier, imo, but it doesn't really help me with full hop fast fall uair.

Crudele

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xbulsajawnx
The thing is, whenever i have the opponent in my uair, Greninja doesn't fastfall when he's hitting the opponent. Am I supposed to fastfall before the uair orrr....

Also, whenever I go from Y to the c-stick, I usually end up doing a special attack whenever i slide it down. Perhaps I do need adapting to the new controller, maybe.

This is irrelevant, but setting L as jump makes nair to footstool a lot easier, imo, but it doesn't really help me with full hop fast fall uair.
Be sure to input the uair at the very top of your jump. If you happen to be rising with it, chances are you're committing to the last hit of the uair, which you don't want if you're trying to drag folks down.

Shiki does it well in this video, at 0:24

Makani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CLF.Makani
If your opponent isn't DIing you can just hold down on the control stick, that way you can input your UAir and immediately fastfall without too much timing. The most important thing to get used to are the setups though, you can set it up from a dash attack pretty easily from low to mid % on most characters. You can also set it up from a sourspot nair at mid % on most normal weight characters. Once you start entering high % territory you'll have to switch to doing DAir spike to fastfall UAir.

SackThing101

Smash Rookie
Oh, so I have to wait at the peak of my jump? Thanks for the advice you guys, I will keep this in mind when playing in a tournament I'm going to (my first one in fact), so that's why I really need to master this.

Also, before I gone to bed yesterday, I did a full hop rising uair with the training CPU DI'ing as usual, and I timed down on the analog with the hits Greninja was doing and I fastfell with the uair. Can anyone confirm that this works, or was I like at frame one on the top of my jump?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Make sure you do the U-Air BEFORE you fast fall. Sm4sh has a mechanic where if you fast fall, then do an aerial, you're momentum will return to normal fall speed, so to keep the fast fall speed, you must input the aerial first.

Enigma227

Smash Rookie
Just go into the lab and practice it on different weight classes until you can hit it at most percents. It takes a while to get pretty good at it but once you do it's very worth it

cdub873

Smash Rookie
Just checking–You have to hit the fast fall and then input the up air, right? or is the other way around, or both?

Top Bottom