• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips vs. Samus?

Celerity668

Smash Rookie
I seem to have a tough time dealing with Samus, though I know it should be Puff favored. How do you guys approach the matchup?

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
Stick to the ground more than normal, but that doesn't mean don't go into the air. Don't let Samus get a charge shot, if she does get a charge shot try to bait it out some how, although most good Samus players will wait until then have an assured shot ie when you are in the air they can shoot you. This match-up in general is actually pretty close, 55-45 or something like that. It's in Puff's favor when Samus doesn't have a charge shot Puff wins the neutral, and is one of the few characters that can effectively edge-guard Samus. But when Samus has a charge shot, she wins the neutral, and can KO Puff decently well.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
My main training partner used to main Samus, so I learned a good bit about this matchup.
Don't let Samus get a charge shot
This is seriously so important. If Samus has a charge shot charged, and you get combo'd into the air, if they see an opportunity, they're gonna use it, and Puff is gonna die. Her missile spam isn't as much of a problem, you can usually just bair through them. Puff can also get some crazy combos into rest due to Samus' weight. Fair to rest is possible if they DI wrong. Just mess around, 'cause in the end it all depends on their playstyle.
but seriously don't let her get a charge shot

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
If she does get a charge shot, a useful tip to acknowledge is that your nair actually beats out the chargeshot. So if samus shoots her chargeshot, you can simply nair to nullify it.

mask1n

Smash Cadet
NNID
mask1n
3DS FC
0318-7208-5996
Which stages do Puffs like to ban against Samus players?

After playing some friendlies against a Samus who I consistently beat in tournament, the only stage they ever managed to take games off me on was Stadium. That said, I'd imagine that Yoshi's would be kinda bad as well due to the walls aiding Samus' recovery and Samus scoring earlier kills in general.

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
I think it depends on the samus player.
I do see Pokemon banned, mostly because there is a good amount of room for her to run, and the blastzones are small enough to kill you early. Yoshi's can kind of choke her out with limited space. I'd say it depends on preference

Roost3r

Smash Cadet
I play against a lot of Samus in my area, and it's winnable for 2 reasons: you edgeguard her hard and you can get easy rests. Most Samuses rely on CC downsmashes a lot when you pressure, and if shielded those are free rests. Makes me matchup super easy recognizing your rest opportunities. Also like others have said, don't let her get a charge shot

AGLET

Smash Cadet
i usually ban fountain. Samus' down smash is kind of ridiculous on fountain and she's really good at controlling the space with missiles. It's also kind of hard to kill her on fountain. Stadium is actually kind of good imo since you can make great use of the horizontal space and missiles are really easy to avoid/aerial

Massive

Smash Champion
The most important thing to remember is that you can nair through missiles (super hilariously easily) and that Samus' grab is slow and bad.

You can also jack with her bomb jump recovery pretty easily since she can't really retaliate while she's doing it.

SSS

Smash Ace
You can nair every projectile she has, a lot of her moves are slow and unsafe and easy to rest (grab especially, dsmash comes up a lot, too), she's easy to edgeguard, and your bair is bigger than her everything.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I don't think this matchup is in Jiggs favor as Samus can Bomb Recovery above and out of edge guards and use Charge Shot to prevent rests and WOP B-airs.
Puff is one of the best characters at screwing up Bomb Recoveries. Puff can follow Samus as far as you are willing to go and has many attempts at stopping you.

The part about Charge Shot preventing rests and bairs made no sense.

Roost3r

Smash Cadet
Puff is one of the best characters at screwing up Bomb Recoveries. Puff can follow Samus as far as you are willing to go and has many attempts at stopping you.

The part about Charge Shot preventing rests and bairs made no sense.
This. You can get free Bairs while Samus is offstage bomb jumping due to how predictable it is whIle out of tether/screw attack range of the stage.

Top Bottom