• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips, Tricks and Combos with Dedede

CuteDogIRL

Smash Rookie
If you have any tips, tricks or combo's you can do with Dedede you can post it here. Doesn't matter if it's something well known or something you found out about you can post it here, I hope that both players trying to pick up Dedede and ddd veterans will find use in this thread. Doesn't matter if it's something you use all the time or if it's situational, if you think it comes in handy for some people even if only in rare instances you can post it here.

Examples for things to post: how and when dthrow -> grab works, tips for comboing fastfallers, tips for gimping, tips for techchasing after dthrow, L-cancelled dair into grab is guaranteed, etc.

Video evidence is appreciated but not necessary.

Previously you could post this type of stuff in the general discussion, but not many people were doing that and there are a lot of other subjects there. Or you could make a guide (like this one http://smashboards.com/guides/a-beginners-guide-to-king-dedede.109/ ) but I think that's to much work for most people. So I feel like having a place where players are encouraged to post some random helpful thoughts would be nice.

Last edited:

trusty

Smash Apprentice
I find that Marth is a very tough matchup. However, if you can get a side throw of the ledge and follow with a fair it's almost a guaranteed kill or easy set-up for an edge guard kill

RomulusPM

Smash Rookie
Co-main of Ivysaur/Dedede here. I've been trying to think of follow-ups from down throw depending on which way they tech/miss tech. This is what I've come up with (feel free to yell at me if there's a better option!)

Tech in place: Regrab? or f-tilt (not too sure on this one)
Tech roll away: Walk up f-tilt (or standing f-tilt) or Down-B if you're adventurous
Tech roll behind: Down smash (or turn around down smash for a faster hit)
Missed tech -> Roll away: Down-B (feels super good to call them on the roll away)
Missed tech -> Roll behind: Down-B or Down smash
Missed tech -> Standard getup: Down-B or f-tilt or regrab
Missed tech -> Getup attack: Stay out of range and punish with grab/f-tilt/whatever
And of course you can always just chain grab if they DI wrong.

How does this look? Any changes you'd make? I'm not that experienced of a D3 player but I do have a little bit of experience with it.

CuteDogIRL

Smash Rookie
Here are a couple of things you can do when playing Dedede which have been useful for me:

-L-cancelling a dair into grab, if you're above an opponent this can be a good option. If someone is either in the air but close to the ground or on the ground you can drill them into the ground for a guaranteed grab. Make sure you land before the last hit comes out otherwise the opponent will be popped up (which you can sometimes also follow up with an aerial attack). The biggest drawback to this that I've found is that it can be baited out with dashdancing or simply blocked and it's pretty punishable when that happens.

-On some characters it's possible to do jab->jab->grab/dsmash. I'm not entirely sure what makes this works or not but I think that the character you use it on has to be somewhat floaty and not crouch cancelling for this to work.

-For most characters if they DI up you can do dthrow -> grab. And for the floaty characters even when they don't DI but they can still DI away/down to get out of the chaingrab. The opponent isn't going to DI up when they know the dthrow is coming, but they are going to DI up if they expect a f-throw/b-throw at relatively high percents. So if you can trick your opponent into DI'ing up when they are thrown you can get a free grab. Or if they are expecting a dthrow you might get them to DI away at a f-throw/b-throw which makes for an easier edgeguard or even a kill right away. Also if the Jigglypuff player I played against online was telling truth, it's a true combo on Jiggs.
EDIT: Jiggs can DI down to escape however DI'ing down is very dangerous because you can also side throw so it's still useful in the matchup just not a true combo.

-Waddle dash into grab can be really good at midrange. It's pretty fast which is nice just try to resist the temptation to do it every time there is a waddle between you and you opponent because it can become predictable.

I find that Marth is a very tough matchup. However, if you can get a side throw of the ledge and follow with a fair it's almost a guaranteed kill or easy set-up for an edge guard kill
This isn't really what I had in mind for this thread. This would fit better in the matchup thread however if you could give some tips on how to get the kill after the side throw it would fit better in this thread. What are Marths options are and how do you counter them, that type of stuff. Marth can go really low and still recover with the up-B so that can be tough to hit with a fair. You don't have to do that now though because someone already made a thread for marth like recoveries here: http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-cover-a-low-recovery.402586/ but if that wasn't there already you could post that type of content in here.

Last edited:

CuteDogIRL

Smash Rookie
Woops I meant to edit the other comment not reply to it ignore this.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
One of my favorite aspects of his combo game is the amount of DI mix ups he has. Easiest and most rewarding on ffers, his up throw sets up directly for a very good DI guessing game. Let's say I up throw a ffer. I've got a few good combo options to follow up with, such as nair and utilt. Now both of those moves have KB angles in opposing directions (nair has a 70ish degree angle, with utilt having a 100ish degree angle), which means that DIing away on one of them means that you could be DIing inwards if the other one is performed instead.

Now let's say the opponent is in the air (from a uthrow or otherwise) and they think I'm going to try and continue the combo with a Nair, causing them to DI away. If instead I throw out a down b, they've just DId down and away on a 37 degree angle move, with pretty decent KB to boot. This mix up is devastating to ffers because of the low angle. If they always try to avoid it and just DI in, they are going to eat a chain of Nair's and a good chunk of damage

Downb works very well when it comes to DI mix ups. Another example might include follow ups from jabs (follow up with down b vs dsmash/grab>bthrow).

Chef BoyarDedede

Smash Rookie
One thing that works pretty while as a waddle dash approach mixup is instead of throwing the waddle forward to cover your immediate approach, you can throw them up while you waddle dash in, increasing the amount of time it takes for the waddle to land where it would have with a forward toss. This is useful because if the opponent grabs you or reacts fast enough to stop your approach, you have the waddle coming down on them which can get you out of a sticky situation. This also helps me with waddle dash --> forward tilt or jab, because I won't just throw the waddle again :p

This doesn't apply to many situations, but one thing I did the other day was while my friend was by ledge, I dashed up and cancelled dash by charging down smash. I spaced it so that he couldn't roll, jump back, and if he jumped up I'd just release the smash. I think this is usually one of the worst options you could use, but it did work out pretty well that time.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
One thing that works pretty while as a waddle dash approach mixup is instead of throwing the waddle forward to cover your immediate approach, you can throw them up while you waddle dash in, increasing the amount of time it takes for the waddle to land where it would have with a forward toss. This is useful because if the opponent grabs you or reacts fast enough to stop your approach, you have the waddle coming down on them which can get you out of a sticky situation. This also helps me with waddle dash --> forward tilt or jab, because I won't just throw the waddle again :p

This doesn't apply to many situations, but one thing I did the other day was while my friend was by ledge, I dashed up and cancelled dash by charging down smash. I spaced it so that he couldn't roll, jump back, and if he jumped up I'd just release the smash. I think this is usually one of the worst options you could use, but it did work out pretty well that time.
This is way underused. Using the diagonal angles to cover a little space is also helpful sometimes. It works offstage when you don't want the full length of the waddle dash too. ALSO GREAT NAME AND PROFILE PIC

Chef BoyarDedede

Smash Rookie
This is way underused. Using the diagonal angles to cover a little space is also helpful sometimes. It works offstage when you don't want the full length of the waddle dash too. ALSO GREAT NAME AND PROFILE PIC
Aha thank you. I actually started maining D3 cuz i came up with the name xD

and yeah, off stage and edge guarding diagonal tosses I find are super good for limiting your opponents options

trusty

Smash Apprentice
Uthrow, uair, bair, side b or waddle air dodge and fair/or camp on stage and f smash. works wonders.

Top Bottom