• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on grabbing?

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
It's widely known that Bowser Jr's grab is utter garbage and with 12 frame startup, pathetic range, and no guaranteed follow ups, you aren't going to be using it as much as other characters.
That being said, what tips do you guys have for getting reliable grabs in with this character?
I try my best to use pivot grab or empty hop grabs, but pivots are somewhat predictable and empty hops are easily punished with jabs, tilts, or even smashes by some of the faster characters like mario or Yoshi.
Sometimes I try to grab people out of the initial hits from mechakoopa, but of course it's not guaranteed, especially if they pick it up first.

What do you guys use?

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I usually grab when they're blocking the MK.
Glide toss down > grab is good because they mostly expect you to throw the MK at them and block.

Do a bair before landing so the move comes out but not the hitbox nor landing lag. That can trick your opponent into blocking.

Jab > dash grab.

Nagalfar

Smash Rookie
Side B > Empty Hop > Grab
Enjoy annoying people who like shielding too much by dealing them a whooping 12% damage every 15 seconds because they're not going to let you have a hit confirm in hell. I'm calling Sakurai over to complain about too much DK favoritism when it comes to grab.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Honestly, I hardly ever do a normal grab (forget about dash grabs).

Pivot grabs can be ok I guess, but the bad range + slow startup + high endlag just makes me not want to grab. Also since you don't have good followups

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Dtilt into grab at low%s is something you should be doing consistently to rack up early damage and gain stage control. Extremely low% is the only time when dthrow is useful since its high base kb allows for a guaranteed safe mk deployment, so that works in this situation.

Last edited:

aircaves

Smash Rookie
if there is a mk out I like to grab them and pummel until the mk comes and hits them I then usually f throw or b throw for this it gets a good 18% + pummeling if done right.

tips on getting the grab either wait for shield on the mk or pivot are my best suggestions

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Empty hopping and jct'ing are Bjr's best shots at getting grabs. The jct makes using grabs for the sake of getting extra damage added by the mk pointless, but forcing shield through empty hops works well for it.

Side b jump cancel into zdrop mk is a really good way to get a grab. People often shield in this situation making the grab free. And when they don't you can get damage from the mk drop or even a nair. Bjr cant get grabs if your mixup game isnt on point. Just don't be predictable and good things will come to you.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
if there is a mk out I like to grab them and pummel until the mk comes and hits them I then usually f throw or b throw for this it gets a good 18% + pummeling if done right.

tips on getting the grab either wait for shield on the mk or pivot are my best suggestions
I like to do this too as it is a good way to rack on extra damage.
Sometime it's also possible to pummel the opponent into a grab release and make the Mechakoopa knock them away before they are able to act so you can follow up with a aerial combo, even though it is a bit situational.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I have great awareness of what's going on in matches, so often I'll let loose a mechakoopa and then grab+throw the opponent into the mechakoopa. It's pretty funny.

One time I actually did that and acted quick enough to shoot off a cannonball at them as they flew back toward me. I'm a big fan of the cannonball

Last edited:

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
just remember a dair confirms into grab from low to mid%s for quick bthrow %

DonutsKy

Smash Rookie
At low percentages, if the mecha manages to attach to the opponent and then explode, you can successfully get a free grab while they're falling to the ground. The timing is a little tricky, but its a nice follow up/set up to get a grab.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
At low percentages, if the mecha manages to attach to the opponent and then explode, you can successfully get a free grab while they're falling to the ground. The timing is a little tricky, but its a nice follow up/set up to get a grab.
not guaranteed. if they're falling, they're not in hitstun. If they're not in hitstun, they can jump away or aerial while you try to grab.

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
not guaranteed. if they're falling, they're not in hitstun. If they're not in hitstun, they can jump away or aerial while you try to grab.
actually, its completely guaranteed but he worded it wrong. the pop up height is still in our grab range

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
actually, its completely guaranteed but he worded it wrong. the pop up height is still in our grab range
You're referring to an earlier part of the move than he is, then. The pop up part is fine. It's if the MK explodes and they are falling after being hit by the explosion that I believe we were referring to.

Top Bottom