• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on Fighting Palutena

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Paluntena is very lagless and her projectiles are hard to read. Like the explosion one she does I dont see any indication when its about to happen or how far it will be. I play as young link. If i could understand her projectiles play I feel it would more feasible to beat her . Any advice?

Last edited:

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
There's a flash before her explosive flame, so you can usually react to it if you're watching for it. The only thing "lagless" about her is her aerials, but if you make her whiff one, you can still punish it with nair/jab/arrow. Everything else is actually pretty laggy.

If you want to beat her as YL, all you need to do is spam arrows and be wary of the reflect. She can't get out any projectiles fast enough to stuff it, and will have to rely on jumping autoreticle or running in. Don't try to fire an arrow if she's in dash attack range, though, since she can just plow through it and hit you. Also be wary of her shield during bair/dash attack; she'll win most any trade with those moves.

YL arrow startup: 14f
YL boomerang startup: 27f
YL bomb pull: 39f
Palutena AR startup: 24f (for the first projectile to fire)
Palutena EF startup: 28f

As you can see, YL wins the range game by sticking with arrows, and only pulling out boomerang or bombs when he already has frame advantage. You can also do a jumping boomerang if you want to try throwing it out in neutral, since at least that lets you retain your mobility.

Once you manage to approach (or better yet, make her approach you), you're at advantage. Palutena's melee options aren't very fast, so getting in her face is generally very effective. If you can get her into the air, she's incredibly vulnerable from below, with only her fairly poor dair to protect her, or airdodge/upB.

Last edited:

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
There's a flash before her explosive flame, so you can usually react to it if you're watching for it. The only thing "lagless" about her is her aerials, but if you make her whiff one, you can still punish it with nair/jab/arrow. Everything else is actually pretty laggy.

If you want to beat her as YL, all you need to do is spam arrows and be wary of the reflect. She can't get out any projectiles fast enough to stuff it, and will have to rely on jumping autoreticle or running in. Don't try to fire an arrow if she's in dash attack range, though, since she can just plow through it and hit you. Also be wary of her shield during bair/dash attack; she'll win most any trade with those moves.

YL arrow startup: 14f
YL boomerang startup: 27f
YL bomb pull: 39f
Palutena AR startup: 24f (for the first projectile to fire)
Palutena EF startup: 28f

As you can see, YL wins the range game by sticking with arrows, and only pulling out boomerang or bombs when he already has frame advantage. You can also do a jumping boomerang if you want to try throwing it out in neutral, since at least that lets you retain your mobility.

Once you manage to approach (or better yet, make her approach you), you're at advantage. Palutena's melee options aren't very fast, so getting in her face is generally very effective. If you can get her into the air, she's incredibly vulnerable from below, with only her fairly poor dair to protect her, or airdodge/upB.
Appreciate it Leafgreen that was very insightful. When playing her I see alot of aeriels used thats probably why I thought she was lagless but now I understand her more. This was a big help

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Your bow is faster than her ranged options. Palu is likely to feel the burden of having to approach as long as your bow usage isn't predictable. She still has a reflector, so you can't telegraph your bow or she will just send it back.

With bombs and boomerangs, you need a different approach here. Instead of targeting her directly, you should be using your bombs and boomerang to limit her choices for movement. Palu is very comfortable in the air, so Z-Drop your bombs to deny safe landings, aim the boomerangs high to discourage jumping and leverage the returning rang to limit her options so that she can't move comfortably. This makes it easier for you to predict where she goes so that you can counter air movement with your sword. Young Link has the advantage of a disjoint in the air, so you should be able to use FAirs to contest her air game. She will have trouble landing against you, since you have that disjointed UAir that practically forces her to Warp/Airdodge to get back to the ground. Your bombs and boomerang can limit the places where she can safely land as well.

If you use your projectiles and aerials well, she will be forced to a ground game. Nothing is straight forward on the ground for either character; her tilts have a lot of range and her dash attack is good. Your sword isn't as oppressive here. However, her tilts are not particularly fast, so your job is to be up in her face and make her feel pressure. This way, she won't be as comfortable with sending out a tilt. If you let her get too comfortable, she sit outside your sword range to throw out her best attacks, but not far enough to let you pull bombs or rangs safely. Palu will be looking for jabs, grabs and dash attacks to get you off of her. However, your grabs, SH Fairs and dash attacks have a lot of range, so use that to your advantage.

Essentially, try to be far away so can play your projectile game, or be so close that she can't play her keep away game. The middle range is her domain in this matchup, so limit her ability to be in that comfort zone.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
Your bow is faster than her ranged options. Palu is likely to feel the burden of having to approach as long as your bow usage isn't predictable. She still has a reflector, so you can't telegraph your bow or she will just send it back.

With bombs and boomerangs, you need a different approach here. Instead of targeting her directly, you should be using your bombs and boomerang to limit her choices for movement. Palu is very comfortable in the air, so Z-Drop your bombs to deny safe landings, aim the boomerangs high to discourage jumping and leverage the returning rang to limit her options so that she can't move comfortably. This makes it easier for you to predict where she goes so that you can counter air movement with your sword. Young Link has the advantage of a disjoint in the air, so you should be able to use FAirs to contest her air game. She will have trouble landing against you, since you have that disjointed UAir that practically forces her to Warp/Airdodge to get back to the ground. Your bombs and boomerang can limit the places where she can safely land as well.

If you use your projectiles and aerials well, she will be forced to a ground game. Nothing is straight forward on the ground for either character; her tilts have a lot of range and her dash attack is good. Your sword isn't as oppressive here. However, her tilts are not particularly fast, so your job is to be up in her face and make her feel pressure. This way, she won't be as comfortable with sending out a tilt. If you let her get too comfortable, she sit outside your sword range to throw out her best attacks, but not far enough to let you pull bombs or rangs safely. Palu will be looking for jabs, grabs and dash attacks to get you off of her. However, your grabs, SH Fairs and dash attacks have a lot of range, so use that to your advantage.

Essentially, try to be far away so can play your projectile game, or be so close that she can't play her keep away game. The middle range is her domain in this matchup, so limit her ability to be in that comfort zone.
Absolutely one of the most isightful brakdowns I heard . Yeah I notice after playing with her the range of her projectiles so what you say makes so much sense. Keep far away or really close. I often fear of getting too close because she seems to outrange my sword attacks but now atleast I have a real strategy to facing her. Thanks Fishkeeper

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Its a tough matchup for YLink, she has every tool a character could want in this game, he has a short sword and some projectiles haha, gl.

Top Bottom