• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Melee Falco main

Riio

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, my dorm is running a little Brawl tournament a month from now and even though I've only played Brawl all of three times, I'd like to do well at the tournament. Only one or two people around here have played Brawl competitively before, so the competition shouldn't be that stiff. What should I know? What Falco things carry over? I've watched a couple videos and picked up on some things, like the fact that Falco's lasers and dair are still legit, and I see jabs being used as mixups, but the air dodges and stuff confuse me. educate me bros

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Instead of making this thread, you could ask questions on the Q&A.
Nice and inteligent people will answer the questions, or you can look at the Falco guide.

Life

Smash Hero
You could also try answering his question.

A lot of the combo stuff doesn't carry over into Brawl due to the hitstun/AD changes. You have chaingrabs and DACUS now, so use them.

You can airdodge out of hitstun very quickly, making combos in general difficult/impossible (why Melee players often hate on Brawl). Airdodges no longer change your momentum (just give you invincy frames), so you don't have wavedashing anymore. L-canceling is gone too.

Your down throw chaingrabs to fairly decent percent against most of the cast (and dair/DACUS can sometimes combo out of it, too). Abuse this against everyone since most noobs don't know how to avoid the grab. There's a thread for that, read up.

Phantasm is awesome in Brawl, learn to love it.

For stages, go for flat stuff like FD or Smashville (or Jungle Japes/Bridge of Eldin if the TO leaves them legal. I don't know what kind of TO you're dealing with).

Pikachu can chaingrab you for pretty massive damage. Dedede probably can, too(IDK how badly?). The noobs probably won't know this, but try not to get grabbed just in case. The competitives almost certainly will.

And of course, watch out for :metaknight:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
D3 can't CG you at all. A good Wario can, but a scrub won't because it's hard. A good ICs will tear you apart.

Jab is your best friend ever.

Your USmash is good now.

You've got all around great properties on things like your rolls and ****ing amazing spot dodge.

Short hop double laser and short hop single laser. Don't try and fastfall lasers, it doesn't work well in this game.

Marlx is a douche.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Best tip for a Melee Falco main.

Forget the game Melee exists because Brawl and its incarnation of Falco are nothing like Melee.

The only skills that really transferred in reverse seem to be angling fire bird, reversing lasers, and canceling overB. Although, I am pretty sure canceling overB is easier in melee. I have no idea why.

But just don't do what all Falco's seem to do at some point and that is over use overB. In melee, it's such a bad move no one expects you to use it randomly, and it works if you time it right. But in Brawl, everyone expects you to over use it. Getting out of grabs is another thing random difference between players. Every brawl player I have run into is great at getting out of grabs early, but melee players suck at it. Attempting for Bad DI is a thing in that game and not brawl.

Top Bottom