• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for dealing with Kirby?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I'm aware I'm probably asking this in the wrong place, but how does one deal with Kirby? Most of his moves are a massive pain in the ass to me, but it's his Dair that gives me absolute hell whenever I'm up against him. It just feels so hopeless, like I can't do anything to defend against it; even if I try to shield/dodge it, I just end up getting hit by something else anyway. The worst part is that I can't punish him for anything either since his hurtbox practically sinks into the ground after he does anything. Quite frankly, it's making me question why Kirby is a perceived "low-mid tier character," noobish as that probably sounds. The reason I ask about this is because one of my friends practically solo-mains Kirby and regularly kicks my ass when I feel like he shouldn't, and it's starting to get on my nerves. So yeah, help? If it means anything, I mostly use R.O.B. and sometimes use Mewtwo and Pac-Man.

Last edited:

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
You can shield his dair and punish it if you time it correctly. Same for bair, same for fair, same for nair, same for up air (ok it can be kind of safe when reversed). You can actually just drop your shield and jab / jump and use a move (frame 3 nair?)/ grab. Also you should not approach Kirby, he has no approaches, is slow and lacks range.
Kirby is pretty gimpable since he's so slow and his final cutter is so predictable. Abuse that.

With ROB using your projectiles wisely and running away from him will help a lot, also Kirby can't do much to your autocancelled nair.
Mewtwo's dtilt annihilates nearly (if not) every ground move Kirby has.
I don't know much about Pac-Man, but I believe you should be able to spam projectiles (his neutral b) with him too.

Overall you'll need to play pretty safe in this MU. When Kirby's above you and lands with an aerial on you you could easily up tilt with ROB for example (use anti aerial / disjointed moves or just shield) . Many beginner Kirbys stay above their opponent although it's not a good position for Kirby.

I know there's more to say, but I don't have much time, hope my advice will help you!

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I'm aware I'm probably asking this in the wrong place, but how does one deal with Kirby? Most of his moves are a massive pain in the *** to me, but it's his Dair that gives me absolute hell whenever I'm up against him. It just feels so hopeless, like I can't do anything to defend against it; even if I try to shield/dodge it, I just end up getting hit by something else anyway. The worst part is that I can't punish him for anything either since his hurtbox practically sinks into the ground after he does anything. Quite frankly, it's making me question why Kirby is a perceived "low-mid tier character," noobish as that probably sounds. The reason I ask about this is because one of my friends practically solo-mains Kirby and regularly kicks my *** when I feel like he shouldn't, and it's starting to get on my nerves. So yeah, help? If it means anything, I mostly use R.O.B. and sometimes use Mewtwo and Pac-Man.
With what character(s)?

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Be careful if you end up behind him when he lands with d-air, because he can continue his pressure immediately with up tilt.

If your character has a fast grab, go ahead and shield grab him.
If not, get out of his range and space him out with attacks.

I say this as a Kirby main myself.

D

Deleted member

You can punish a whiffed smash, dsmash is the easiest. If you try to punish dair, look for a time to charge up a move with little to no lag. A projectile might work with all your characters as the all have decent quick punish options.

breadstick24

Smash Rookie
R.O.B. ... well, the bad news is, I consider this one of Kirby's better match-up's. ROB doesn't have much to challenge approaching D-Aair and Kirby's combo game on ROB is pretty lethal. That said, Rob's D-smash out of shield will punish D-air but the timing is tight. That's pretty much the game changer in this match. If you can punish D-air with D-smash consistently you'll soon realize that as annoying as it is to hit kirby, you don't actually have to really do anything to kill him. Up-angled F-smash at 80%? yeah that'll kill. Don't forget grab. Grab also kills stupid early on Kirby. Once off stage, umm... well, uhh, try going as high as possible before getting above stage? A recovering ROB is something that reminds me why I main kirby in the first place. It's just so easy...

Top Bottom