• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for competitive smash

ShadowCalibur

Smash Apprentice
Essentially just post tips of what to do to improve whether it be learning combos how to read correctly or anything like that. I too will post some tips but be open to criticism and things like that

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Don't get hit. Hit them until they lose their stock.

Don’t learn advanced tech until you learn fundamentals. There are five core fundamentals. Neutral, spacing, punishing, reads, and tech skill.

Firstly, pick a character that exposes your strengths as a player. Are you a combo dervish, pick bayo, Falcon, or Sonic to boost your punish game.
Maybe you like to poke out the neutral, and slowly break down your opponent. You can play a character like Marth, Link, or Samus to outlast them.
Just remember to try to pick a top tier, or someone who has potential to be one. You wanna have a mindset to either win, or advance the game. Or maybe being a low tier hero is your thing.

Last edited:

ShadowCalibur

Smash Apprentice
characters i have 3 mains ( i play them all with equal skill) Cloud, Ike, and Roy. my ike i survive longest with, roy i kill earliest with, Could goes either way. depends on mathchups.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
One tip I have is for off-stage gameplay, and that is test your limits in friendlies. Go for crazy stuff and see if you make it back or not. If you SD, then you passed your character's limits, and if you don't, then keep pushing it until you do.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Before I was joking around but now I'm serious. You should get online friends who are roughly the same skill level as you and main someone different than your main. Then practice against the player to practice counter play against that specific player. In my opinion you should at least the the top tier people first.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Keeping a secondary is a good thing for mid tiers. It's always good to have a for fun character, and a set of aerious characters.

I recommend you play Cloud/Ike to get a grip on fundamentals. Roy is the harder of the bunch

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Little Mac. Are you the c-stick warrior type? Or a serious user?

You wanna be careful with Little Mac. You can't really study recovery or edgeguarding, both very important competitive skills. Also, it's very easy to exploit his attacks, but you have to be smart with your movements

Link is definitely a good start, and Bowser might also be a choice, though combos hit you really hard.

Last edited:

ShadowCalibur

Smash Apprentice
serious i use more than just smashes. with mac I use everything i have to my disposal except i try to stay out of the air. I mercilessly abuse anything with super armor because im very good with timing so i know when i should use my smashes. Link i love his projectiles and his bomb setups are really good for combos and pressuring. Bowser because why the hell not. He hits like a truck can obliterate shields and has some good combos and gimp options too i use Ganondorf to but as a disrespectful one because i love seeing just how bad people can be on fg.

Top Bottom