• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for a noob Marth?

AznGabe

Smash Rookie
Hey y'all,

I'm a relatively noob Marth. Been practicing some basics for about a month now and have been trying my hand at Netplay. Can you guys give me some video analysis on what I'm doing wrong? Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnwnDa1VUdY

Sorry about the length, but i'm sure you can get the gist after a few games.

PkHk

Smash Rookie
I'm also a noob, but there are a few things i think i know what i'm talking about.

You hug your opponent too much. Keep space between him, especially when he's at lower percent. use his wavedash and dashdance to keep space between you two. You want to really abuse the tipper.

Practice your punish game, you dont really punctuate on your combos. make sure to use the tip of the blade at earlier percents.

I didnt watch all the matches so idk if you do know how to chaingrab, but learn to chaingrab spacies. its not too hard actually. just get on the 20xx pack and grab a bot on fd training mode. react to the side the bot DI's to and immediately try to grab in that direction.

Practice your L-cancels and techs more

you eat those lasers like twinkies too lol. practice avoiding them

thats all i got, hope this helps ^-^

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
So right off the bat your movement is choppy and you don't do basic movement tech (like L-cancels and wavedashing). When ever you went for a tilt or grab, you would stop moving entirely then F-smash when he got close. To solve this, mess around in the 20XX hack pack and start learning the timings for those sorts of things. Watch smash tutorials on guides for those sorts of things as well.

I rarely say this but just casually play against level 5 or 6 CPU. You should get the hang of what Marth can do as a normal character at a basic level. Playing others as of now isn't very effective, you won't really learn how to move Marth himself but how to deal with other players. Also to mention, if you have definitely decided that you will main Marth, don't really experiment with other charaplayersYou should first completely master a main before getting a secondary. They are for matchups Marth is not great at or just another you have fun with.

Don't take this too harshly but you should just start out casually, learn what tech you have available and search for Marth guides. Learning the basics is the foundation for everything, you have a lot to learn! Don't let this discourage you either!

Last edited:

AznGabe

Smash Rookie
Yeah thanks for the tips guys! I practice a lot of wavedashing and l-cancelling on my own but seem to have a hard time applying it in the match. Like i get tight and then i forget the techs.

Smashplayer11

Smash Rookie
Get a crt if you want to learn tech get a crt. But let me tell you something tech is really overrated and it sould not be the first thing you learn. Try to Lear SHop double f-air or SHop N-air or fox trotting with marth is probs the most important. Also fox trot to down tilt or to shield grab it to any SHop interaction.

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
A comment on you dash dancing:

You seem to just be moving back and fourth in place because. It needs to come with a purpose. You should be weaving in and out of Falco's range, trying to bait him into doing an action (shine, short hop dair, etc.) and then you dash back in when he whiffs. You can then get a grab, spaced down tilt, short hop fair, reverse up-b. Marth's biggest asset is his smooth, quick movement. As others have mentioned, your movement seems choppy and slow. It can be improved, however. Try fifteen minutes of deliberate practice just moving around the stage. Dash dance from one side to the other. Dash dance on a platform, never falling off, but always hitting the edges. Do short dash dances. Do long ones. Do a mix. Fifteen minutes, no stopping. Then work in wavedashing with the dash dancing. Try to flow.

The 20XX Green Standstill mod will help a lot with this. No green. It is not allowed. Once you become comfortable, you should incorporate SH Fair and SH Double Fair into this.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRnhBYquweA

Cressel

Smash Rookie
You use dair way too much on neutral, try not to since it is laggy and whiffing it means you'll get punished.
Your dash dance still needs work but it's definitely better, try to work on different lengths of dash dance and being able to move left and right while doing it smoothly(making the dashes shorter in one direction). Also try to incorporate wavedashing with your dash dance, it helps a lot imo, and remember that after a wavedash you regain all your options so try to always end your movement there so you can dtilt/utilt/whatever to cover unless you're searching for a grab or aerial.
You respect the edge too much, edgeguard or at least threaten them, don't go back in the center and let them in for free. Stay close and dtilt, short hop last second dair, fsmash, anything but make them scared not to sweetspot.
Never try to approach from above, I saw you do it a few times, full hop dair or whatever. You always wanna be under your opponent not the other way around.
Work on your ledge game, I saw you stay at the ledge without refreshing a few times, and just roll back in or whatever. Mix it up, learn to refresh correctly (Under the stage to avoid a gimp), normal get up is hella good if unexpected it has a lot of invincibility, ledgehop nair is good, ledgedashing and hax dashing can mix up too if they're waiting.

I personally hate marth dittos, it's yucky. The marth you were playing seems to know a few things so if you know him you can learn a lot from him actually. Basically aim to Dtilt to stop the opponent from dash dancing, they'll start throwing more aerials and you can now punish that. Try to search MU specific punishes since marth is so punish heavy you need to know what to do after confirming things.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
dtilt more,
dont attack while recovering form off stage, ledge so much.
dont dair so much
do LITERALLY ANYTHING when they're off stage
upair more, you would fair the marth in the air and put them off stage but you don't edgeguard. It's better to get more percent by keeping them above you and upairing if you can't follow up the fair in any meaningful way.
don't dthrow/bthrow facing away when by the ledge. upthrow them to get a follow up upair or fthrow if you think they won't expect it and you can get a fsmash. have to condition them to DI the upthrow for this
fullhop is bad in neutral
learn to jump cancel grab.
DI fthrow down and away.
dont approach with fair, only good if you read a dtilt or dash in
You got caught DDing by dtilt often. Try to shield if they are getting close and don't seem very grabby.

kaz99

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
KAZ#306
Switch FC
SW-3846-9922-7779
Something to be wary of is your double jump. When you get comboed by falco or are attempting to recover, you seem to preemptively double jump. Marth's double jump is very important to save since his recovery becomes limited otherwise. Work on your DI against comboes and mix up your landings as an alternative so you don't have to use your double jump very early

Top Bottom