• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips based on video

FanGoH

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-0717-4583-9400
I found this pretty good Ness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPkQfLPAm8
I'm no expert or anything, but there are still pretty interesting things that can be found here, so I would like (if possible have some discussion)

I'm still not sure if as a Ness main I should play neutral defensively or offensively, Awestin does both pretty great, but I believe he goes way more offensive, with great tools, I noticed the spaced and air Pk Fire, short hoped Nair and Fair (that can combo pretty well), what do you think is rewarded the most, defensive or offensive?
I also liked the way he made a lot of pressure with the PK thunder, however, Is there an effective way to expect the angle the opponent is going to get launched?
What about the spammed PSI magnet, It's effective in neutral?

Also, something I noticed, Which moves are better for stopping Ness aerial momentum?

It's better to jump and then PK Thunder? Is something that Awestin does very consistently through the set, the only guess I have, is that maybe the aerial landing lag is better than the normal endlag.

Dash attack should be avoided in neutral? I noticed that most of the punishes he got where because of the endlag of the dash, personally, I think it's a great move, but seems (from the outside) somewhat easy to punish

Thank you for watching the thread

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Awestin is one of my favorite Ness mains to watch. He’s super good at relentless pressure.

Ness is usually too slow to dictate the pace of a match, so you need to learn both offensive and defensive measures to counter different character archetypes. Against zoners, you need to play more aggressive. Ness has good projectiles, but they’re usually too slow/short range to outgun a zoner like Link, for example, so you need to learn to get in and prevent them from setting up. Against aggressive characters like Fox and Chrom you need to be more defensive and use your disjoints and projectiles to keep opponents out because they can punch harder in a close up fight.

PKT as a projectile will send the opponent in the opposite direction they were hit from at a diagonal upwards angle. This can actually lead into aerial follow-ups at kill percents if you know where and how to hit them.

PSI magent can mix up your movement and can confirm into drag down aerials which in turn lead into grabs. You can use it to cancel your double jump and slow your fall speed.

PK flash is a hard air stall that can throw off an opponents attempted edgeguard, and PSI magnet will slow your descent.

Jumping can help to avoid being interrupted by off stage opponents (such as WFT’s soccer ball) or attacks that go through ledge.

Dash attack can be used to punish rolls and landings relatively safely, but it’s not great on shield and doesn’t hit as hard as Ness’s aerials so it isn’t seen too much in neutral.

Top Bottom