• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips and Tricks for the Discerning Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Forgotten

Smash Rookie
Here are my tips for those who are new to Mario and are considering him as a main. If you're an experienced Mario player, you might find this tips useless to you. But if you're inexperienced, I'd recommend you take a look.

Some Good Tips:​

1. Be Relentless - Never stand still in a match. Always be jumping, dodging, attacking, or defending. It's okay to plan ahead, but don't be idle. Juggle opponents, chase them off of the edge, throw Fireballs... do something to keep the opponent guessing, and don't use the same plan twice.
2. Keep on Moving - There's danger in being still. It gives the opponent a chance to set up a trap, or recover. When edge-guarding, throw lots of Fireballs. When thrown into the air, move around. Don't let the opponent predict you.
3. Don't Give Up! - Mario is full of surprises. His N-Air, B-Air, U-Air, and Side Special are great defensive tools, so even if you can't save yourself, bring the opponent down with you.

A Couple of Useful Tricks:​

1. Juggling - Mario has great juggling potential. His D-Throw and sometimes a landing F-Air are good for setting up opponents. His U-Air is a must, and his B-Air and N-Air can finish up the technique. Also, on another note, his dash attack can be followed up with any sort of aerial attack, usually a B-Air or U-Air, or a quick U-Smash at lower percentages.
2. Edge-Guarding - Mario has decent edge-guarding abilities, especially against bigger, heavier characters. His Fireball, for starters, is a good tool, and can be spammed. His N-Air, which is a Sex Kick, is a great defensive attack. His B-Air is powerful, but is a more situational edge-guard tool. His Cape can flip the opponent and their momentum backwards, which can limit recovery options for most characters. Mario's F-Air, while only a mediocre meteor-smash, gets decent horizontal knockback if not downwards. (However, that can be dangerous because of it's ending lag. I'd recommend practice using that move.) Finally, F.L.U.D.D. can be used defensively against characters who are in helpless state.

I hope these tips help those who are looking at Mario. Please comment if you have something important to add.

Forever Forgotten

Smash Rookie
By the way, I know there are many, many more tricks to using Mario. Remember that this is a beginner's guide, not an expert's guide. And, a lot of things have to be experimented with; it's impossible for everyone to learn everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom