• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips against Yoshi

SatsumaFS

Smash Rookie
I have literally never beaten a Yoshi in my entire life with any character. I can't help but feel that Yoshi is completely stupid with no weaknesses. Can anyone give me some advice about how I should fight against him?

It feels like there is never a good option for Pit because Pit's moves are too slow to catch Yoshi, who can move around freely and quickly both on the ground and in the air. Having a large disjoint and spacing doesn't matter because he can dip into my space faster than I can do anything. Staying in shield is also unsafe because of the command grab and such, not to mention Yoshi's aerials are all really safe to begin with. Then there's the stupid eggs.

For me, every character vs. Yoshi is like a 0-10 matchup. I am seriously lost.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
The way you fight Yoshi is basically all about baiting him to throw out a move and punish it on reaction. All you need to do is predict what Yoshi is going to do. For example, if you think Yoshi is going to command grab upon landing, simply either roll away or spot dodge and punish it with a grab or dash attack. Yoshi's down B have horrible end lag, so you can easily punish that. A lot of Yoshi's will like to space their moves out with fair, so you can duck down to avoid the hit and punish it with a dash attack. Also, you can run past Yoshi with a pivot fsmash if he tries to space you out with fair. The trickiest part of the matchup is trying to land safely. So your options are to airdodge his attacks and punish him with aerials of your own on reaction, or simply grab the ledge and reset the situation to square one. Yoshi's dair can deal a lot of shield damage, so be sure to hold it up and you can punish it with a turnaround jab (if he lands behind). The good thing about this matchup is Yoshi technically has no kill cofirms, so you have to mix up your approach options/movements to avoid getting hit by Yoshi's fsmash/usmash/uair, jab > fsmash if you can mash the jump button.

I've played plenty of Yoshi's in my area and I know how stressful it can be to fight good Yoshi's.

knepsis

Smash Rookie
Adding to what chompy said, if you do get the punish try to throw him offstage and footstool him

Top Bottom