• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips against Snake?

strider2k

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
8400-7096-5138
Snake's usmash (mortar) seems to give me the most trouble. When he launches them consecutively, I have no clue on what to do? Would one of these options be viable:

1) Properly timed fsmash
2) Throw and time it correctly so I don't get hit by the falling explosive
3) Shield Breaker at the right distance

I have an idea of the general game plan by being super patient and looking out for their grenade+shield so I don't fair into it and hit us both. Plus, it's much harder online when the other player has a slower network. I'm on comcast with gigabit ($80 month).

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
What is the Snake doing after he fires multiple mortars in the air? Because that move is strictly vertical and cannot threaten or force your to approach if you just wait it out. In my experience, the Snake will get two mortars in the air to try and freeze you in place if you won't run into them, then they'll dash in for either a grab or a dash attack. Spotdodging in either case allows for an OoS Dolphin Slash to punish.
If he's using it to ledge trap, that's a whole different thing. I try to roll in at that point but it gets tricky since they usually predict that.

Flowen231

Smash Apprentice
What is the Snake doing after he fires multiple mortars in the air? Because that move is strictly vertical and cannot threaten or force your to approach if you just wait it out. In my experience, the Snake will get two mortars in the air to try and freeze you in place if you won't run into them, then they'll dash in for either a grab or a dash attack. Spotdodging in either case allows for an OoS Dolphin Slash to punish.
If he's using it to ledge trap, that's a whole different thing. I try to roll in at that point but it gets tricky since they usually predict that.
What he said. At the ledge you could jump and air dodge in, he may expect the aerial once he sees the double jump bubble and it could get you out of trouble, and also be aware of the range snake is using mortar at the ledge, its easy to catch them mis-spacing and interrupt the up smash with the new invincible ledge attacks.

Also quick tip for beating grenades, if they're holding the nade a bit and facing you, do a tipper fair. If their back is to you, go for grab or D tilt if they're in within teching range. Snake holds his grenade behind him when he first pulls it out, so its good to read where the nade is and which of your hitboxes wont give you a bad trade.

Last edited:

strider2k

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
8400-7096-5138
It depends on the snake player. Played a bunch in a row online. The variants are:

1. Nikita
2. Dash attack
3. Trolling me by doing mortar all day cuz he’s up a stock and I fall for it.

A properly spaced dtilt or shield breaker will work though right? I can try OoS next time.

I haven’t seen them use it when I’m offstage. They usually use Nikita.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think Shield Breaker can reach through the mortar and hit him. Doesn't need to be charged, just work on the timing and spacing it like you said.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
To beat mortar: take him to battlefield instead of FD.

Lol but seriously one general tip for Marth/Lucina against snake is to aim for his headband (rather than the center of his body). It requires precision, but this is the best way to not detonate his grenades when you hit him.

strider2k

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
8400-7096-5138
Haha sometimes I cannot control the stage selection when playing Quickplay online. For the most part, it's either Battlefield or FD. Thanks for the headband trick as that'll come in handy. I'm currently at 3.75M in GSP so I've been playing smarter Snakes. The earlier iteration were much simpler but definitely starting to get a handle of the match up now.

Top Bottom