• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips against roy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
I've never found anyone in person who's better than me at melee (pretty much everyone on here seems to be better though lol). My brother is always really close but on average i'm slightly better. Lately i've found kids in my school who are good but still not better

anyway this one kid who thinks he can beat most people in anything says he's amazing and will **** me. Honestly no one i've met in person even seems to know what l-cancels and wave dashing even are (except one other kid) so i doubt he's that great but still i want to make sure i win.

He says he plays as roy so are there any tips you guys have for fighting a roy? Unfortunately with the sword i doubt i'll be able to spike him down near the edge.

Thanks

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
alot of roys moves are fairly laggy...he's liek a pseudo fast faller so you can combo him fairly well..abuse your laser...jab to dsmash i found is a good finisher, but dont forget to edgehog

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
alot of roys moves are fairly laggy...he's liek a pseudo fast faller so you can combo him fairly well..abuse your laser...jab to dsmash i found is a good finisher, but dont forget to edgehog
alright. he's definitely the kind of kid who will call me cheap for using a bunch of lasers so thats annoying but whatever.

You basically land a dair and you win.
haha i'll keep that in mind

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
wow i got way too used to my brothers fox with falco. He switched to for practice and beat me the first 3 battles or so. I eventually got used to it and was winning but its weird to see how much worse i did when facing a character i wasn't used to while i'm falco.

now i'm worried i'm gonna lose friday :(

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
dude just im me if you have questions...i have alot easier time helping individuals if they im me.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling he won't be very good at tilts. I hate the grabs though

**** one thing i can't stand (and it's probably why i heard this kid is cheap) is roys edgegaurding. What do i do about this? I played my brother and half the time he would get me off the ledge i would die at like 35-50% because he would just nail me with his sword with B or over A when i try to get back

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
go low and use your up+b. Aim for the ledge and try to sweetspot it. If he tries to hit you out of it, you need to press tech it to survive.

You can also use your illusion and align yourself with the edge perfectly. You can go under fsmash and neutral B this way.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
i actually had the same problem yesterday, with absolutely everyone lol.
i went to a tourny and they were all so much better than me.
but i made a friend who mains roy, and i learned a few things about him just from the friendlies and talking.
the thing that i found most irriatating and ultimately what dealt a fair amount of damage to me was his side b.
since marths hardly use it, you may not be used to seeing the entire combo from it.
if u get stuck in ur shield for the first hit, stay in ur shield, cuz theres a good chance he'll follow up with the rest of the combo.
also as raynex said above try to stay away from phantasms when recoverying, all roy has to do is neutral b and ur done.
come up with firebirds and try to sweetspot or walltech if u miss it.

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
go low and use your up+b. Aim for the ledge and try to sweetspot it. If he tries to hit you out of it, you need to press tech it to survive.

You can also use your illusion and align yourself with the edge perfectly. You can go under fsmash and neutral B this way.
I saw that in a video yesterday it was really impressive. I don't understand how he did the tech though, just press L when you get hit?

skajester

Smash Rookie
If you really want to beat this kid you should learn to tech. Easiest way to learn should be all over this place but here it is (its how I learned)
Have that handy brother of you pick Peach, or even stick with his fox and go into training mode, have him stand on the ledge and you just try and upb back on over and over again. When you come up have him only edgeguard with dsmash. Pretty much as you reach the sweetspot, or as he hits you press L or R. You'll know if you've done it right. Get used to pressing toward the stage when you do it, that will make you jump tech. Honestly its worth knowing just cause its fun. It works on just about any move if you time it right.
Oh and spam that laser...If he can talk **** he can eat ****.
Avoid the blasted dtilt. If the kids any good he'll spam it.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Huh? Easiest way to practice/learn by yourself is to go into either training mode or vs a level 1 CPU with mines. Up+B into them.

As you're about to get hit, hit L and slam the stick into the wall. It helps if you press L /R a little before you Tech, since you have around ten frames to do so... so a ten frame range from when you get hit. Under a hundred percent, you can also Up+B while holding the Cstick into the stage to ASDI, and then just hit the L/R button at the appropriate time.

When you hit Roy off the edge, you get the **** on that ledge. Roy's recovery SUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKS. Almost as much as Falco's. Then all you have to do is pick the right time to Roll, and fsmash him while he's in his Up+B lag. Get on the ledge again, repeat.

EDIT-More useful to learn how to tip a Marth Fsmash <.<;;

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
it depends
its best to sdi into the stage
then press L
and that wouldn't just make you do an air dodge and die?

If you really want to beat this kid you should learn to tech. Easiest way to learn should be all over this place but here it is (its how I learned)
Have that handy brother of you pick Peach, or even stick with his fox and go into training mode,
you can go into training mode with 2 people?

have him stand on the ledge and you just try and upb back on over and over again. When you come up have him only edgeguard with dsmash. Pretty much as you reach the sweetspot, or as he hits you press L or R. You'll know if you've done it right. Get used to pressing toward the stage when you do it, that will make you jump tech. Honestly its worth knowing just cause its fun. It works on just about any move if you time it right.
ok i definitely have to try it. Im surprised it doesn't just make you do an air dodge though, thats what im worried about...messing up the timing and just falling and dying.

I know for a wall jump i press away from the wall and jump but for this i press towards the stage and press L? ok

Oh and spam that laser...If he can talk **** he can eat ****.
Avoid the blasted dtilt. If the kids any good he'll spam it.
Yea i definitely will even though he'll call me cheap.

haha i don't think i'll have a problem now. In class today some of us were talking and me playing him and this is the type of kid who thinks he's good at everything. Turns out he hasn't even played brawl since the summer and melee, which we'll be playing, since way before that.

Huh? Easiest way to practice/learn by yourself is to go into either training mode or vs a level 1 CPU with mines. Up+B into them.

As you're about to get hit, hit L and slam the stick into the wall. It helps if you press L /R a little before you Tech, since you have around ten frames to do so... so a ten frame range from when you get hit. Under a hundred percent, you can also Up+B while holding the Cstick into the stage to ASDI, and then just hit the L/R button at the appropriate time.

When you hit Roy off the edge, you get the **** on that ledge. Roy's recovery SUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKS. Almost as much as Falco's. Then all you have to do is pick the right time to Roll, and fsmash him while he's in his Up+B lag. Get on the ledge again, repeat.

EDIT-More useful to learn how to tip a Marth Fsmash <.<;;
i'll try that thing with the mines later today.

one thing though, you said i should press L/R before that tech, isn't pressing L/R what causes the tech in the first place?

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
Nope, you are in your Up-B so you cannot airdodge. And after he hits you, you are in hitstun so you won't airdodge but you can tech.
oh ok. I tried it with my brother about an hour ago. Couldn't get it so i guess i need to work on that.

Basically im doing firebird up and hitting towards the edge with the control stick and L right as im getting hit right? I'll have to work on that

HiIH

Smash Lord
If you do it slight before or right as you smash the stick, you'll make sure you're not too late.

CandyAppleBlueCherry

Smash Cadet
This may be too late, but, to tech you can hit L/R before you get hit and it'll still work.

As for vs Roy, if you think he can chaingrab, use lasers to stay out of range... actually, lasers can keep Roy pinned down pretty well, and limit his movement severely. As others have said, edgeguarding him is crucial, because it leads to easy kills. If, as I'm guessing, he's not really that great though, then you can pretty much shine combo him all day long. I find him almost as easy to combo as Fox :p

Hope this helps ^^;

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
This may be too late, but, to tech you can hit L/R before you get hit and it'll still work.

As for vs Roy, if you think he can chaingrab, use lasers to stay out of range... actually, lasers can keep Roy pinned down pretty well, and limit his movement severely. As others have said, edgeguarding him is crucial, because it leads to easy kills. If, as I'm guessing, he's not really that great though, then you can pretty much shine combo him all day long. I find him almost as easy to combo as Fox :p

Hope this helps ^^;
yea im thinking he's not that great but i'll use lots of lasers and shines anyway

I'm gonna have to practice the teching later today, Idk if i'll need it much but that would be pretty crazy if i ended up using it in the match lol. I noticed yesterday i was accidentally tech-rolling a few times when playing my brother.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I see this thread so much and still can't believe its alive.

Just spam dair, shine and grab. Honestly...

Roy:

-has horrible aerials

-has horrible defensive options

-has 1 reliable kill move. 2 if you count dsmash...but the lag is ridiculous.

-has a lulzy combo game, that is semi-effective on fast-fallers and completely ineffective if your opponent knows how to d.i.

-Can't edge-guard particularly well OR recover himself. Man Roy sucks.

Things that are good?

-He has a cape

-He is sort of quick...I guess

-Lol fire

-Counter

-Lol fire

-taunt?

ggs.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
O_o Roy is hard to beat?

Just take him to Final Destination every match if you can and laser camp him >_> that's all.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Falco vs roy its not really a hard match-up. Roy cannot approach a Lazer camping falco. Falco's pillars **** roy. And If the falco can space his dair well he can avoid being sheild grab. Watch out for down tilts at higher percents. SWEET SPOT the ledge always unless you want a counter delivered in your face. CC kills roy overall. Watch Out for DED (Double Edge-Dance) They will go for Side, up, side. Amd if roy starts chain grabbing you go behind him with double stick di. Roy shouldn't be a probelm

smasher91613

Smash Journeyman
I see this thread so much and still can't believe its alive.

Just spam dair, shine and grab. Honestly...

Roy:

-has horrible aerials

-has horrible defensive options

-has 1 reliable kill move. 2 if you count dsmash...but the lag is ridiculous.

-has a lulzy combo game, that is semi-effective on fast-fallers and completely ineffective if your opponent knows how to d.i.

-Can't edge-guard particularly well OR recover himself. Man Roy sucks.

Things that are good?

-He has a cape

-He is sort of quick...I guess

-Lol fire

-Counter

-Lol fire

-taunt?

ggs.
lol im not the one keeping this thread alive. I think i can win, just want to do it in a way i wont be called cheap. His friend says he's really good and they would play 3 on 1 on him but i dont think that really means all that much, its about whos best 1v1 and he hasn't played in months (so he says)

O_o Roy is hard to beat?

Just take him to Final Destination every match if you can and laser camp him >_> that's all.
yea thats the plan. FD is really the only place i fight so hopefully i wont hear him ***** about it

Falco vs roy its not really a hard match-up. Roy cannot approach a Lazer camping falco. Falco's pillars **** roy. And If the falco can space his dair well he can avoid being sheild grab. Watch out for down tilts at higher percents. SWEET SPOT the ledge always unless you want a counter delivered in your face. CC kills roy overall. Watch Out for DED (Double Edge-Dance) They will go for Side, up, side. Amd if roy starts chain grabbing you go behind him with double stick di. Roy shouldn't be a probelm
honestly i'd be surprised if he even knows what that stuff is. The only thing im a little concerned about is him edgegaurding me cause im not sure how to always sweat spot and im guessing he'll just stand by the side every time i get off so he can fsmash me

when you guys say CC are you saying its good for roy to cc or for you to CC against roy? I'm thinking you meant against him

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
against him. Because his moves have virtually no knockback when you are at lower percents, you can CC them and sit there and do an attack. Shine/grab/dsmash/dtilt...ANYTHING. Its so silly.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
against him. Because his moves have virtually no knockback when you are at lower percents, you can CC them and sit there and do an attack. Shine/grab/dsmash/dtilt...ANYTHING. Its so silly.
Yeah roy combo's are based on ariels that lack knockback. So hold down. Except at higher percents

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
PTZR is amazing at SH-B.
no CC when ur at 100% vs DED btw.
or a slightly charged B

anyway, fox can grab, and laser camp.
i found it effective against ptzr to CC an ariel attack, then run away before he does his next move lol. ROY IS SO SLOW!! XD

but dont get d-tilted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom