• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TioPro tournament organizer: rising from the ashes (CHARACTER ICONS - 12/19)

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Version 2.1.0, released 12/19/12: plugin system, eSports plugin
Major features:
*Bug fixes:
** TioPro would sometimes freeze when deleting a team from an event's "Entrants" page. Has been corrected.
** Issue when deleting a team from the "Players" tab has been fixed.
** A rendering issues within double elimination brackets has been corrected. Swapping players beyond the first round now works as intented and doing so will no longer corrupt your file.

*Plugins!
**TioPro has a new plugin system like your favorite Internet browsers and games, allowing software developers to extend the program's functionality in many exciting ways. Plugins can be managed and downloaded via your TioPro "Tools" menu.
**To celebrate this release, we are offering a free eSports plugin for video game tournament hosts. Just head to your "Tools" menu on your copy of TioPro to download it today.

------

There once was a program called tio tournament organizer, developed by a Smash community member and used by thousands of tournament hosts worldwide to run the largest events in the community.

After 3 years of inactivity and countless people wondering "WTF is going on with tio?", we're BACK with a new release of the re-branded TioPro. A crazy amount of work has gone into this release to make the program worthy of today's tournament scene.

Run brackets the way you want them to be run. Use advanced seeding methods to get the most accurate results possible. Keep track of where matches are being played and monitor their progress remotely. Use your Twitter account to post bracket images and make announcements to your fans. Impress sponsors and media with the best-looking bracket solution on the Web.

Everything you need for your tournament to be a success -- make it happen with TioPro.

Visit our website at http://tiopro.com
Follow us on Twitter @TioPro

And most of all, Download TioPro today

Quick overview of features:

• Three bracket types: single elimination, double elimination, and round-robin.
  • An intuitive bracket viewer for easily managing and updating brackets with the mouse or keyboard.
  • Manage money issues with entry fee tracking and customizable award amounts.
  • Integrated station manager for tracking which game stations are in use and where each match is being played.
  • Detailed results for each entrant, including overall placing and complete match history.
  • Power features like multi-monitor support, fast keyboard navigation, advanced seeding methods, and score reporting.
  • Keep track of entrants by marking them as "Away", "Disqualified", and get notified when scheduling a player in two events at once.
  • Much more!

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
More testimonials: This is the best software I've ever used to run a tournament. Not only that, it's free unlike Tournament Maker 3 and the other stuff out there.

einthesuperdog

Smash Journeyman
I haven't used any other program so I can't make comparisons, but tio works well for me. Is there some place I should go to make technical feedback? I don't want to spam unnecessarily.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tio helped me pay for college, cured up my acne, and solved my marital problems. Thanks Tio!

But seriously, Tio is really good. But it doesn't have a Linux version does it? Open source would be awesome. :)

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I used it at my recent local tourney, and it was hot. It seemed tailor made for smash tourneys which was nice. the only problem i had was trying to figure out how to use pool play results automatically feed into a double elimination bracket. i got the impression that it was possible, but i couldnt figure it out.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
It is indeed possible :). On a round robin event's Options area (Details section, below where you set the event name & game) there is a button called Advanced Winners to a New Bracket (or something like that). Just follow that process :).

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
^ That's actually very depressing. :(

And while I'm here, I might as well ask if there are alternatives to "tio" capable of use on a Mac. Are there any? Or anything even close?

X_A

Smash Rookie
AHH! So THAT is how you do pools to brackets - oi!

Anyway - love TIO! Oklahoma is slowly converting totally to it :) I have to thank the Norman group and some AZ players for turning me on to it at OHSNAP03 - and have been using it ever since! Great stuff!

X A

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
do u know if there r any good tio for macs??? if not i will just use my friends laptop for organizing a tourney

mickpalmer

Smash Rookie
This TO software looks interesting... I wouldn't neccessarily call it the most advanced though. I use a software that's developed by Upper Deck Entertainment (UDE) for card gaming tournaments called Mantis. Granted it's not generally for anything outside of theri card games but it allows for enough customization for tournaments to on any game to be held on it.

What also helps out the most with it is that it offers me the swiss format which I prefer to use in a large scale tournament. Round Robin is great and all, but it's always better I feel when you can play ANY player in the tournament before a playoff bracket, not just those in your assigned pool. It makes it interesting to both the staff and the players involved as no one knows who they may face next.

Now the swiss rounds are paired based on records from the previous rounds (with round 1 completely random, round 2 pairing winners of round 1 against each other and losers of round 1 against each other) and unless you're in the last swiss round when there should only be two undefeated players playing each other anyways... you really have no clue who you might face, you just know it's someone of the same record. So most players end up trying to guess who they may play and it gives that suprise element that can make things even more exciting.

If you're interested in checking that out you can find it at http://www.ude.com/mantis

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
This TO software looks interesting... I wouldn't neccessarily call it the most advanced though. I use a software that's developed by Upper Deck Entertainment (UDE) for card gaming tournaments called Mantis. Granted it's not generally for anything outside of theri card games but it allows for enough customization for tournaments to on any game to be held on it.

What also helps out the most with it is that it offers me the swiss format which I prefer to use in a large scale tournament. Round Robin is great and all, but it's always better I feel when you can play ANY player in the tournament before a playoff bracket, not just those in your assigned pool. It makes it interesting to both the staff and the players involved as no one knows who they may face next.

Now the swiss rounds are paired based on records from the previous rounds (with round 1 completely random, round 2 pairing winners of round 1 against each other and losers of round 1 against each other) and unless you're in the last swiss round when there should only be two undefeated players playing each other anyways... you really have no clue who you might face, you just know it's someone of the same record. So most players end up trying to guess who they may play and it gives that suprise element that can make things even more exciting.

If you're interested in checking that out you can find it at http://www.ude.com/mantis
Tio isn't only for round robins.

Sengin

Smash Ace
tio is pretty great, I have to say. Lovin' the tutorials as well. Very good idea for getting used to it.

I did find one typo in the Entry Fees and Payouts Tutorial under the title "House Cut." "You can reserve some of the pot money for the tourament host [...]." Just wanted to point it out since it's in beta (or at least the downloaded zip says it was). Also, one of the original tutorials tooltip box went off the screen on the bottom and I wasn't able to read it all. Is there a way to make tooltips draggable? Another one happened in the seeding tutorial, it seems to happen on the bracket tab, where the tootip "points" to a location in the middle of the tab (vertically), which blocks out part of the text. Note: I am running a screen resolution of 1680x1050.

Anyway, those are small problems. Thanks for this nice piece of software. I'll be using it at my tournament on the 24th.

Also, are you the developer, nealdt? If so, what language and IDE did you develop it in? I'm just curious.

Edit: I currently cannot finish the round robin tutorial, as the tutorial will not recognize when I move to pool 4 (after you create the bracket, it asks you to use the up/down buttons to select pool #4 and even though I have done that, it won't show the next tooltip). Is there a way around this, or am I missing something?

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
There's no way around the RR tutorial bug, unfortunately. I'll have a new release ready fairly soon (doing final testing on Allisbrawl). Yes, I did all the development on the program, using C# and Visual Studio .NET (2002; though I've since migrated to 2005).

Sengin

Smash Ace
Is the RR tutorial bug fixed in the new version you're testing? And do you have a potential release date for it? I'm just asking because I'd like to use tio for my tournament next Saturday.

Sengin

Smash Ace
I'm making a new post so that it'll show that there's a new post, which may be of help to you, nealdt.

For the RR bug, I unchecked the "use station manager" checkbox in a new event (not the round robin one) and it advanced the tutorial tooltip to the next one (about interpreting the bracket). I tried this within the RR tutorial event, and it didn't work; it only worked if I had created another event, added the entrants, generated a bracket, then unselected "use station manager" for that event. I don't know if this will help you (if you haven't figured out the bug already).

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Mines isnt working. I cant get my tio to work
It says some bull about it cant "Intizilize"
You got a soulution?

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm proud to present the next release of tio tournament organizer, version 1.2.0! Download it from tiopro.com.

I wrote a long post about this release but lost it when I clicked the wrong button on my browser. Gah! So let's cut to the chase.

This release of tio fixes a lot of important bugs and introduces several new features to make your life as a host more convenient. Among the bug fixes are some big items like fixing the "attempt to separate by location" crash, as well as enabling the Import Players menu item again. Beyond those are a number of UI tweaks and changes under the hood to support some exciting new features coming your way soon. I'll attach the (mostly) full list of changes below, but trust me when I say that a lot more work went into this release than might be immediately evident. The most significant addition to this release has to be the Metrics section, which will estimate how long your specific bracket will take to run given the number of TV stations in use. It's a tremendously useful tool.

We've previewed quite a few features for this release, but unfortunately a few had to be cut, along with some older features that no one really used. We'll be adding these back in as soon as we can, but for the meantime they were causing some problems with some of the code changes I've made to the application. Rather than take a few months to get them ironed out, we decided to put this version out now to get it out there and in use by other communities.

So check it out at http://tiopro.com! You can download it directly from that site, through the "tio" link on the AiB Tournaments menu, or by running your current version of tio and saying "yes" to the prompt to download the update.

Changes:

• FIX: fixed a crashing bug when using the Recent Tournaments menu while an unsaved tournament was open.
  • FIX: fixed an occasional crash when using the Attempt to Separate by Location option.
  • FIX: the Tools->Import Players menu will now do something.
  • FIX: you will no longer be able to change an event's seed type if the event has an active bracket.
  • FIX: removed a crash when trying to open a file and clicking "yes" to save the current tournament when that tournament has not been saved before.
  • FIX: can now progress through the full Round Robin tutorial.
  • NEW: advanced "Metrics" system for calculating how long an event should take to complete based on the stations in use and several configurable "efficiency" parameters.
  • NEW: can zoom in and out of elimination brackets.
  • FIX: fixed many behaviors of DE "swap player" options.
  • FIX: if you delete a player, you will afterwards be able to create a new player with the original's name without receiving an error.
  • FIX: app will not crash when double clicking a SE match with no players.
  • NEW: the Find Player bracket feature (Control+F) will auto-complete player names as you type.
And more.

Smash Rookie
Hello everybody! I'm new to the tourney scene and am looking into dipping my toes into organizing with a small local. Anyway, I love TIO but have a problem.

I want to use TIO in my laptop. My laptop has a VGA output so I thought I would use my desktop flatscreen monitor to output bracket information so that other players can see the information on matchups without crowding around my laptop.

In the "Bracket Viewer" section of the user's guide, it says : "Clicking the "Launch in a new window" button will create a second bracket viewer in a separate window. You can move this window to a second monitor if you have one. The window can also be linked to the main bracket viewer, so any changes (scrolling, match selection, updates, ect.) will affect both the main and second viewers."

I do not see any button that will open a separate window.

Also, the Menu Reference section says that I should have something called "View Stations" under "Tools". I do not have that listed as an option.

Thanks for any help!

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Those two features had to be removed in the latest release due to compatibility issues. We are working on getting them back in.

Smash Rookie
Those two features had to be removed in the latest release due to compatibility issues. We are working on getting them back in.
OK, so I'm not going crazy. :laugh:

Is there an ETA on when those features will be added back in? The dual monitor is a feature that I would love to use in my tourney because, as it says in your user guide i think, it cuts down on all the questions about the brackets/matchups, etc.

cyborgcheetah

Smash Rookie
We won the first game, the combatants we should have fought against didn't show up, so Cyborgcheetah and Tangofango is the winner of the first round winning against Stelzig and Navn. Thanks for the quick combat :)

-!-

Smash Lord
Simply the best, I had look around for other programs but none work as good as T!O.

it's just too good!

Gwobo

Smash Rookie
Rofl on what Nealdt said. PC boot camp would be lol material.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Any plans to release a kit so we can incorporate result uploading to our own sites? :)

pockyD

Smash Legend
i know how to run swiss, but just like running pools/round-robins (which are easy to do even by hand), it's much better when it's all integrated in one application, along with being able to store/view the results on AIB, use the swiss results to seed a bracket automatically, use the same entrants database, etc.

Top Bottom