• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TIMS3:: Springfield, IL -- Oct. 17th

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
Team IOWA's "Monthly" Smashfest series #3 - October 2009

Date: Saturday, October 17th
Time: 10:00a.m.-11:00p.m. (roughly)
Tournament Start: Brawl/Melee Doubles starting at 12 noon, singles following

Venue Address:
Courtyard Marriott Hotel
3462 Freedom Drive
Springfield, IL 62704

Entry Fees:
Brawl/Melee Singles: $10
Brawl/Melee Doubles: $5 (per teammate)
Venue Fee: $5 (waived for bringing a setup)
(Yes, you can enter both at the same time)

Prize Payout:
1st Place: 60% of pot
2nd Place: 30% of pot
3rd Place: 10% of pot
4th Place: $10 (if the number of singles entrants > 32 for a game)

(Estimated) Schedule:
10:00 a.m. -- Begin to file in, setup equipment, early friendlies
10:30-11:00 a.m. -- Start up registration
11:30-12:00 (noon) -- End of registration, begin Brawl/Melee Doubles Pools
After Doubles Pools -- Brawl/Melee Doubles Brackets begin
Break Time (30-60 min.) -- Short break time when brackets are winding down for food, friendlies, relaxation, etc.
?:00 After the break, begin Brawl/Melee Singles Pools... then Brackets afterward
Later O'Clock -- Finish up tournament, time for friendlies
11:00 p.m. -- time to clear out, goodbyes

General Rules:
There will be pool play followed by a double-elimination tournament.
Best out of 3 games in each set, except for Winners, Losers, and Grand Finals(best out of 5).
A rematch in Grand Finals from Winners Finals will result in a best of 11 set, continuing the score from the previous set.
Other rematches in Losers will be played as new set. This would include the Losers Bracket winner beating the player from Winners in a set.
Team Attack (friendly fire) is set to ON. Life stealing is allowed.
If necessary, do Rock Paper Scissors(RPS) for controller ports. In teams, select using a Team 1,Team 2, Team 2, Team 1 order.
Stalling is banned. This is defined as prolonging the match while purposely avoiding any and all confrontation. This only applies when one player is making the game unplayable, not moving for a positional advantage. (but it'd need to be a serious offense to get warned, or cost you a game)
(Melee) Jigglypuff's rising pound and Peach's wallbombing techniques are allowed, but not when used to stall.
Infinites in Smash must end shortly after reaching 300%. Anything beyond that will be considered "stalling".
Draws in Smash are decided by number of stock, then by lowest percent.
Should there be a full tie, do a 2 minute, 1 stock rematch (with a 10 ledge grab limit for Brawl).
You are responsible for checking your name and control scheme before a game begins.
Any character disabling glitches are banned. You are responsible for knowing what your character can do!

Stage Striking will be used.
Go to Random Stage Select and turn on each stage from the list.
Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure (refer to separate stage lists, and use either an alternating 1-1-1-1-1-1 or 1-2-2-1 pattern)
3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
4. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List**
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match
**He/she may also request a port slob pick, being able to redo the port selection process at this point.

The following rules will be in effect:
Dave's Stupid Rule: no counterpicking the stage that you won on most recently in the set.
Iggy's Stupid Rule: You may not pause without first getting consent from your opponent.
(failure to comply could result in the loss of the current game in the set)
Stupid Fastliketree Rule: Throwing round-robin matches may be grounds for disqualification.
(failure to comply would mean you are placed last in your pool and will not advance to brackets in that event)
Color Blind Rule: While playing a teams match, you can request a specific team color, if suffering from a color-based disability.
The Mages DQ Rule: 2 minutes late = warning. 4 minutes late = loss of 1st game of the set. 6 minutes late = loss of the set.
Drugs and Alcohol will be PROHIBITED in the venue. You will be kicked out for violating this rule.

Brawl-specific Rules:
Roughly following SBR Recommended ruleset, but using 7 starters and stage striking.
8 Minute Timer
3 Stock Matches
Items are set to "off" and "none".
Round robin pool settings: 2 stock, 7 minute timer. (Best of 3)
Starter Stage List:
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Halberd
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium 1
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Island
In picture form (thumbnail):

Counterpick Stage List:
The starter stages (above) plus...
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

Use of Meta Knight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned.
King Dedede's standing infinite and short-step infinite are banned.
Bowser wins any "Sudden Death" finishes caused by his "suicide klaw" (side-b) special attack.
50 ledgegrab limit. Should a game time out and one player has over 50 ledge grabs, he will lose.
If both should, the winner will be decided by stock, then lowest percentage.

Melee-specific Rules:
Roughly following SBR Recommended ruleset, but using 7 starters and stage striking.
8 Minute Timer
4 Stock Matches
Items are set to "off" and "none".
Round robin pool settings: 3 stock, 7 minute timer. (Best of 3)
Starter Stage List:
  • Battlefield
  • Dreamland 64
  • Final Destination
  • Pokémon Stadium
  • Yoshi's Story
  • (Fountain of Dreams)*
  • (Kongo Jungle 64)
In picture form (thumbnail):

Counterpick Stage List:
The starter stages (above) plus...
Brinstar
Corneria
Green Greens
Jungle Japes
(Kongo Jungle 64)
Mute City*
Poké Floats
Rainbow Cruise

()'s indicate the stage is not a starter for doubles
*'s indicate the stage is banned for doubles
Wobbling is banned.

Other Stuff:
Bring your own controller (BYOC), and you are responsible for any additional setup required(Wiichuks, etc)
Any non-cosmetic controller modifications are subject to be inspected. (removed trigger springs are ok)
If you choose to use a Wavebird, it's your own fault if the frequency/whatever is screwy.
No harassing other players, either physically or verbally. I can (and will) kick you out for being violating this rule.
This would include, but not be limited to bothering players because they only play either Brawl or Melee.
Should the commentary be distracting to those being recorded, they hold the right to ask you to shut up (politely).

(Suggested) General Rules for Crew Battles (should they happen):
$1 entry per crew (more of a pride thing, anyway)
20 Stock/Crew (Melee)/ 15 Stock/Crew (Brawl)
4-6 Crew Members, with an option to have one member sit out (for crews with 5 or 6 players)
No single player may be allotted more than 1 stock beyond what another crew member has. (ie. one player can't have all but 3-5 stock)
(Brawl) Random stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville
(Brawl) Counterpick stages: Delfino, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium 1, Yoshi's Island
(Melee) Random stages: Battlefield, Final Destination, Dreamland 64
(Melee) Counterpick stages: Fountain of Dreams, Kongo Jungle 64, Pokémon Stadium, Yoshi's Story
Losing side player allowed to counterpick a stage when coming in.
If they do, the winning side's player may change characters before the losing side's player selects his/her own.
Electing to re-random the stage instead of counterpicking is allowed, however you must notify your opponent beforehand, else be forced to keep the previous stage.
"JV-X stocks" do not give you an additional stock to use against your next opponent.

Contact Info. & More Stuff
Should you get somewhat confused on your trip here, I'll be glad to give directions.
Nick (or "Oranos") (217) 801-5897 (please limit calls to relevant hours and calmly explain who you are when I pick up)
Brett (or "(2nd)samurai") (217) 836-4955 (also limit calls to relevant hours)
(Does somebody else local wish to volunteer to give directions?)
Housing situation seems very limited (and full) right now, check back in for possible updates.
The venue will a hotel though, so I'll check on their rates and others' around here.

Attendee Tracking: (rough estimation)
  1. _OraNoS_ (Brawl/Melee)
  2. Doomshroom (Melee)
  3. tdk_Samurai (Melee)
  4. kourck, more locals (idk)
  5. Cody (Melee)
  6. ook/other Chicago brawlers (Brawl)
  7. Kirk (Brawl)
  8. Dark Kakashi
  9. Dart1337 ("EPsucks1337") (Melee, Brawl dubs)
  10. An8676 (Both?)
  11. Ripple (Both)
  12. Chewyy (Brawl, maybe Melee?)
  13. Deez?, other Champaign players (Brawl)?
  14. Kief (Brawl)
  15. BlackPanther (Melee)
  16. Gooeybanana (Melee)
  17. other Peoria people (Mixed?)
  18. iamthemicrowave (Melee)
  19. Iggy (Melee)
  20. Kso (Melee)
  21. Anubis Ocelot (Melee)
  22. NJzFinest (Melee)
  23. Sveet (Melee, maybe Brawl dubs)
  24. darkatma(Melee, maybe Brawl dubs)
  25. Geno (Melee)
  26. brawlpro (Melee?)
  27. Legan (Both?)
  28. Nuris
  29. Lixivium (Melee)
  30. Toga
  31. Blitz
  32. Book
  33. Mentok
  34. Future
  35. [as many as 4-5 (other) St. Louis players (Mixed)]
  36. _marth1_ (if somebody can pick him up)
?'s for unconfirmed players
I'm gonna have to kick folks out (for sure) if we have over 60 entrants.
aka I'm hoping this list is as accurate as possible.

These players still need a teammate:
  • An8676 (for Melee)
  • Anubis Ocelot (Melee)
  • Dart1337 (Brawl)
  • Ripple? (Melee)
  • (tdk)the2ndsamurai (Melee)
  • kurtzmann (Melee)
  • [Probably a few stray locals who need teammates]

Setup Tracking: (+ = full setup, * = partial setup, ^ = recording setup)
I'm looking for at least 4 full setups per game
  • _OraNoS_ +(1 TV, Wii/Cube, Brawl/Melee)
  • Dark Kakashi + (?)
  • Dart1337 (1-2 TV's, Wii/Cube, Games?)
  • Chewyy * (Wii, plus power strips/extension cords)
  • Kourck + (TV, Cube, Melee)
  • [4(estimated) setups from StL :) (4 TV's, 2 Wiis/Cubes)]
  • the2ndsamurai (at least a partial setup, Cube/Melee)
  • Kirk + (TV, Wii, Brawl)
  • An8676 ^
  • (I need more on this list, please post any info.)
Current Estimated Totals:
Full Brawl Setups: 4 (looking for: 4)
Full Melee Setups: 5 (looking for: 4-6)
Unpaired TV's: 0?
Extra Wiis: 1-2
Extra Gamecubes: 2-3
(Updating weekly, power strips appreciated)

tio AiB Link: [HERE]
Please do me a favor and say "I'm attending this", so I can have a better idea of who's coming, or at least some of the tio work finished beforehand.

All entrants are responsible for knowing the rules, and should be expected to keep up to date with them. There should be copies of the rules at the tournament. No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the TO's attention. We (the hosts) won't be held responsible for any damage/etc to any setups, but are planning to have a well-organized setup station to prevent any issues that could arise.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
Please forgive me for any errors I have sitting up there right now, I'll update that first post when I'm less sleepy.

This post will be for helping you guys keep track of any noteworthy edits in the first post.

Noteworthy Edits:
9/15 -- Lazy edit to Attendees & Setups
9/?? -- added in the note about shorter pools (1 less stock, 1 less minute)
*should we need to do elimination pools, it'll be back to full stock, full time
9/30 -- Players added to attending list, I'll edit the setups section after class.
10/1 -- Update to setup tracking, added a players needing a teammate section and section for general rules for Crews(not updated)
10/5 -- Minor update to entrants/setup tracking. (Thanks Nuris)
10/9 -- Updated venue's address, updated players with games they're entering, the doubles partners list
10/13 -- Updates to attendee list & setup tracking.
10/16 -- Added in note about potential 4th Place payout, update to attendee/setup tracking.

ook

Smash Lord
It's the weekend before my birthday :bee:
and the name of the tourney is my name.
woah

I gotta come to this!!

it'll be nice to play some more IL people

Dart

Smash Lord
It's the weekend before my birthday :bee:
and the name of the tourney is my name.
woah

I gotta come to this!!

it'll be nice to play some more IL people
Brawl? :ohwell:

anyways finally! if you start posting more T.I.M.S's on here you'll get a helluva lot more turnout.

Btw i can bring two tvs possibly *one for sure* and both my wii and cube

hunger!

Smash Champion
$10 a person ($20 a team)

ill most likely be coming to this if i can find some sort of housing for the day before. IL help me out ^_^ ook, arty, quik, DK, ? ? ? ? ? ^_^

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
hmm, this tourney needs a cool subtitle, a catchy one, one that won't get me yelled at by oranos, how about...............The Bus City Massacre!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
sorry guys but I went back to DK in melee. no one is taking me down

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I am coming to this for melee.
I'll make sure BlackPanther comes, too. I'll talk to chicago and champaign and purdue
sparklemotion, I don't lose to DKs. MINDGAMES, nick has informed me ripple=sparkle motion
my statement stands lol

also, accepting cash battles.
quaz?
edit-WTF
no drugs?
You already know I'm powering up Nick. lol. I will keep it out of the venue though

I WILL SPEAK WITH MY MOTHER ABOUT HOUSING PEOPLE. I WILL ONLY HOUSE SOMEBODY WHO I HAVE MET BEFORE.
It needs to be noted I live 45 minutes away from springfield, however. Keep that in mind should you want housing.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I'll most likely come, only things holding me back is my manager saying I can't get that day off, and my parents being nonlogical pansies. Typical excuse from them, "Seeing as you got school Mon & Wed, you should be working on weekends." Dear god, when did Tuesday and Thursday disappear???

Probably won't need housing, I'm almost positive if I do go I'll be driving home late in the night because I'll have work the next day.

kourck

Smash Cadet
I'm coming to this, bringing my nutmeg-infused A-game.

Perform Chesterfield Slims Iron Lung Fuel Flip Synergy Ignition!

Dart

Smash Lord
Wow...Regional finals or Smash. Wtf well it looks like *IF* my soccer team manages to qualify for regional finals i won't be going to this at all. Wow

Kirk

Smash Champion
Hunger/Wisconsin I can house you guys if you need it. Just give me an estimated number of people and I'll see if I can arrange something.

I can probably have another smashfest on that Friday or something too.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Yo, me george and anubis most likely are coming to this. (haven't talked to anubis yet but he sounded interested)

Lookin' forward to it, fellas.

_OraNoS_

Smash Ace
If I do melee doubles, and so does eighteenspikes.. you two would not make doubles finals lol

yer just jealous of a guy who has a teammate :p

p.s. Are you actually coming Ripple?

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
god, tomacawk always bringing the topic of illegal narcotics into every tourney thread.

And marijuana is not decriminalized, my friend did say that if you had like less than a nicklebag, that its only a fine, any more its 25 to life in prison, fo sho.

EDIT: F*** I just made a post dedicated to a discusion about marijuana, and not the tourney, I'm kinda embarassed.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
if say one person has 2.5 on them and another person has 2.5, they dont call that 5g do they?

kourck

Smash Cadet
if say one person has 2.5 on them and another person has 2.5, they dont call that 5g do they?
No.

Also, the details are being worked out for a real life grudge match between TDK Samurai and I, we will be doing a bare-knuckle, first-blood style bout after the tournament. Side bets are welcome.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
fwew! i dont think 2.5 can last me through this tournament, i might have to bring friends along just to hold my weed.

kourck

Smash Cadet
Drugs are bad, especially caffeine and acetaminophen. Advil kills!!!

The only thing worse than that murderous drug Advil is not coming to this tournament, cause I'm going to make one (1) deer steak for each person that comes, and then I'm going to give it to you, with tongs and a small paper plate. You will have to eat it with your hands, though. It's also important to wash your hands afterward to keep your controller **** and span, and to do your part in diminishing the prevalence of communicable diseases. My dad always said, wash your hands or I'll kick your ***!! One time he put on a pair of brass knuckles and they could barely fit over his gorilla hands, so I reckon I was pretty scared.

yoshq

Smash Master
Drugs are bad, especially caffeine and acetaminophen. Advil kills!!!

The only thing worse than that murderous drug Advil is not coming to this tournament, cause I'm going to make one (1) deer steak for each person that comes, and then I'm going to give it to you, with tongs and a small paper plate. You will have to eat it with your hands, though. It's also important to wash your hands afterward to keep your controller **** and span, and to do your part in diminishing the prevalence of communicable diseases. My dad always said, wash your hands or I'll kick your ***!! One time he put on a pair of brass knuckles and they could barely fit over his gorilla hands, so I reckon I was pretty scared.

what? o.o

also, drugs are bad. mmkay. if u do drugs ur bad. mmkay. marijwana is bad. mmkay. drinking is bad. mmkay.

Top Bottom