• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A tactician should summon 3 pegasus knights and have the triangle attack as the final smash. :awesome:

Junahu

Smash Ace
Not quite how it works. Tactician can actually fight and it wouldn't make sense for the Tactician to summon Roy/Lyn/etc.
So the plan is to just have him use magic, and ignore the very real fact that he is a tactician that commands others? He needs to be commanding at least one other person (Chrom?), otherwise you might as well be using an actual character mage.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think the tactician would be better as a Story mode element, advising Marth, Ike and others on how to defeat a boss.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If the tactitian were a character, he would have to use his magic, otherwise him commanding another character, such as Chrom would be stupid. You'd be playing as Chrom, not the tactitian, which would defeat the purpose of the character. If he were to command characters to do something as his final smash, then that would make much more sense.

I still would prefer Chrom though. If they made the tactician into a unique character, then I may support it.

EDIT: @Junahu, him advising anyone would make his character redundant. Playing as the tactician who advises Chrom, who you actually play as? Just make Chrom the character.

Junahu

Smash Ace
If you're not going to use the Tactician's ability to offer tactics and strategy, then why use him at all above actual magic users with established faces, names and histories?

I admit that the idea of him strictly being in command of a Pokemon Trainer style 3-man-band moveset is a little half-baked, but surely there are any number of sparkling alternatives that we've yet to think of. Surely there's a way to give the Tactician an in-match unit to command and lead, whilst also maintaining his ability to physically contribute using magic. I refuse to immediately jump to the conclusion that the Tactician absolutely must be a normal moveset.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Instead of offering tactics to others, he instead could require tactics in combat. Such as a lot of moves that require set up before execution. Traps and the likes

If he's just going to sit back and control Chrom, he's not needed

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I should have been more clear. I was comparing the Tactician's role to the pokemon trainer's role in their respective games. Not necessarily a comparison to possible smashbros fighting styles.
The only way him commanding other characters in smash would make sense is if he commanded multiple units like he would in game. But controlling multiple characters wouldn't work. Otherwise I think it would just look silly commanding one single unit.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I've updated a few things on the first post. I'm looking for some potential supporters who would like to contribute the the first post. Any points you'd like to take out, reasons you'd like to add, pictures that need to be shown or any other content changes to the first post you think would be good, just speak up and I'll edit the first post.
I, myself am planning to add more content and possibly update/add to my posted moveset. Some other things might need to be reworded.

Anyways... Bump.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But Roy was planned to be included in Brawl. So I would say they will get at least one. Either Chrom or Roy.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I honestly think the Tactician would make for a great assist trophy tbh. He comes out and combos with an attack that you do, just like in Awakening.

That would be if he wasn't in as a character.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I am going to guess two FE reps. Marth and Ike. FE had its party.
That's not really much of a reason to stop at two.
Most roster predictions I've seen have had 3 or 4 FE characters.
I honestly think the Tactician would make for a great assist trophy tbh. He comes out and combos with an attack that you do, just like in Awakening.

That would be if he wasn't in as a character.
Well It is a good idea for an assist trophy. I'll still have my fingers cross otherwise. :p

If the tactician does become playable, that assist trophy role could be taken by some minor character. Probably a highly ranked one in the popularity polls.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
I don't see why this is so far-fetched, actually. With Awakening's critical acclaim and commercial success, it's almost definite that there'll be a character included. It could very well be Chrom, but who knows - it might even be both. We can dream.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
With Awakening's critical acclaim and commercial success, it's almost definite that there'll be a character included.
Sales mean less than you think. Path of Radiance was one of the worst selling Fire Emblem games, yet Ike still made it in to Brawl.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Sales mean less than you think. Path of Radiance was one of the worst selling Fire Emblem games, yet Ike still made it in to Brawl.
Sales do not matter, but they are evidence of something that does. Awakening is a great game so its likely to be represented. Certain zelda games are given more recognition than others because they are good, not necessarily for sales but for the content in the game.

One of my reasons for the tactician's inclusion is not because he/she was in a good game and therefore the game deserves two reps. The MyUnit function was in put into two game and FE11 had unused files suggesting that it was planned for that game as well. What I'm trying to get at is that these avatars are starting to become a trend in FE games. They're not really normal lords but more like a new category. They're an important part of these new games and have received a lot of praise from the fans. That's why I think it would be a good idea to include one of the avatars. Of the two, the most recent is the more prominent one.

Those reasons plus some other stuff I've explained before.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I updated the moveset to be a little more... thoughtful. Also I added smash attacks and grabs. I'm not planning on getting into normals, aerials, and specific damages. That's a bit hard to create something balanced.

Here's what I added.

The Tactician is a medium weight. Neither fast and weak or slow and powerful like you would expect.

Specials
Down B: Rally
Robin raises his blade high in the air and he radiates with momentary green glow. This move takes quite a bit of time to use and it cannot be canceled so players must find a safe opportunity to use it. Once it is used the Tactician will be in a rallied state. This will change the effect and power of his next special attack excluding rally itself. Once a special is used he will need to rally again to receive the effects.
In addition to the move specific effects each rallied special will deal 2% more damage than usual. If the tactician has allies/partners on his team they're special attacks will deal 1% more damage and receive 1% less damage for 15 sec.
B: Thoron
After a decently long windup Robin shoots a horizontal lightning attack across the stage. It has bad launching capabilities and deals a moderate amount of damage for as far as specials go. While in air, this move will fire downward at a 20 degree angle. If the bolt hits a wall or the floor the area will emit an puff of smoke and the beam's impact point will have great launching capabilities being very deadly.
If this move is used while rally is in effect the beam will momentarily stun the target (shorter than ZSS's fully charged laser)
Side B: Fire
Robin swiftly waves his arm in front of him and there is a combustion 2-3 meters in front of him. This move is quick and is mainly for dealing damage. It will cause the enemy to flinch but will not launch the target. Additionally there is a safe spot between the tactician and the flame but this move is quick enough that its not that punishing.
With rally, this move has the ability to launch a target and potentially kill them at high percentages.
Up B: Arcwind
A wind spell is cast at Robin's feet, launching him into the air. This move can be slightly controlled: Holding back will launch Robin straight upward at 90 degrees. Holding forward will launch him at 45 degrees. Pressing no direction will launch directly between the two. There is a small powerful hitbox close to the character when the spell is cast, you nearly have to occupy the same space for this to hit. Being hit by the Tactician himself while he is being launched will deal damage but its not very powerful.
With rally this skill acquires a large damageless gust of wind that will push the enemy outward from the casting point. Opponents will sent in that direction similar to how the gale boomerang pushes players.

Smashes
Up: Think about Samus's up smash. The tactician holds his hand at his side then raises it, dealing multiple powerful fiery attacks.
Side: Robin holds his blade back then slashes. Really exciting.
Down: Robin throws his hands down unleashing a powerful burst of wind at the ground.

Grabs
Up: He picks the enemy up with one hand and hits them with the other, creating a small explosion on impact.
Forward: Holding the target Robin turns around and throws the enemy over his back.
Back: Robin takes a large step backwards and with his arm fully stretched out he slings the enemy in that direction.
Down: The tactican leans the enemy back and stabs them with a lightning bolt and drops them on the floor. This will not launch the enemy.

Additionally I added some extra pictures and other useless sections (those sections are below the moveset)

I want some opinions about the specials though. Do you think they would work, or are the unbalanced and flawed?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I updated the moveset to be a little more... thoughtful. Also I added smash attacks and grabs. I'm not planning on getting into normals, aerials, and specific damages. That's a bit hard to create something balanced.

Here's what I added.

The Tactician is a medium weight. Neither fast and weak or slow and powerful like you would expect.

Specials
Down B: Rally
Robin raises his blade high in the air and he radiates with momentary green glow. This move takes quite a bit of time to use and it cannot be canceled so players must find a safe opportunity to use it. Once it is used the Tactician will be in a rallied state. This will change the effect and power of his next special attack excluding rally itself. Once a special is used he will need to rally again to receive the effects.
In addition to the move specific effects each rallied special will deal 2% more damage than usual. If the tactician has allies/partners on his team they're special attacks will deal 1% more damage and receive 1% less damage for 15 sec.
B: Thoron
After a decently long windup Robin shoots a horizontal lightning attack across the stage. It has bad launching capabilities and deals a moderate amount of damage for as far as specials go. While in air, this move will fire downward at a 20 degree angle. If the bolt hits a wall or the floor the area will emit an puff of smoke and the beam's impact point will have great launching capabilities being very deadly.
If this move is used while rally is in effect the beam will momentarily stun the target (shorter than ZSS's fully charged laser)
Side B: Fire
Robin swiftly waves his arm in front of him and there is a combustion 2-3 meters in front of him. This move is quick and is mainly for dealing damage. It will cause the enemy to flinch but will not launch the target. Additionally there is a safe spot between the tactician and the flame but this move is quick enough that its not that punishing.
With rally, this move has the ability to launch a target and potentially kill them at high percentages.
Up B: Arcwind
A wind spell is cast at Robin's feet, launching him into the air. This move can be slightly controlled: Holding back will launch Robin straight upward at 90 degrees. Holding forward will launch him at 45 degrees. Pressing no direction will launch directly between the two. There is a small powerful hitbox close to the character when the spell is cast, you nearly have to occupy the same space for this to hit. Being hit by the Tactician himself while he is being launched will deal damage but its not very powerful.
With rally this skill acquires a large damageless gust of wind that will push the enemy outward from the casting point. Opponents will sent in that direction similar to how the gale boomerang pushes players.

Smashes
Up: Think about Samus's up smash. The tactician holds his hand at his side then raises it, dealing multiple powerful fiery attacks.
Side: Robin holds his blade back then slashes. Really exciting.
Down: Robin throws his hands down unleashing a powerful burst of wind at the ground.

Grabs
Up: He picks the enemy up with one hand and hits them with the other, creating a small explosion on impact.
Forward: Holding the target Robin turns around and throws the enemy over his back.
Back: Robin takes a large step backwards and with his arm fully stretched out he slings the enemy in that direction.
Down: The tactican leans the enemy back and stabs them with a lightning bolt and drops them on the floor. This will not launch the enemy.

Additionally I added some extra pictures and other useless sections (those sections are below the moveset)

I want some opinions about the specials though. Do you think they would work, or are the unbalanced and flawed?
mm..me gusta. Especially Rally as a down B.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
My ideas for special moves:
B: Thunder Magic- an electric attack that works like Samus's charge shot
B side: Elfire- a shield of fire that prevents damage
B up: Ignis- does damage plus a sixteeneth of the damage done to the opponent
B down: Armorslayer- does damage regardless of weight

Personally, I'd like Tactician but I'd prefer Chrom because Chrom is the main character. If Tactician was DLC however...

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
The moveset is good. In particular, I like the smash attacks. :)
Side smash is my favorite. :p

My ideas for special moves:
B: Thunder Magic- an electric attack that works like Samus's charge shot
B side: Elfire- a shield of fire that prevents damage
B up: Ignis- does damage plus a sixteeneth of the damage done to the opponent
B down: Armorslayer- does damage regardless of weight

Personally, I'd like Tactician but I'd prefer Chrom because Chrom is the main character. If Tactician was DLC however...
I'm going to add your special moves to the front page if that's fine with you.

Edit: I'm not sure why but the collapse tag is suddenly working correctly there. I'm going to see if I can get the rest to work as well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Instead of offering tactics to others, he instead could require tactics in combat. Such as a lot of moves that require set up before execution. Traps and the likes

If he's just going to sit back and control Chrom, he's not needed
Every character requires tactics and it's not like setup characters in the past have had the need to be openly talking about strategy. Honestly, such a thing is much better suited for Olimar.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
That's what he/she says when he gets a critical right? :p
Yeah you're right.
I was just a little confused, I was thinking that it was some response to what KumaOsa is talking about.
I was thinking that quote in particular would be good for whatever his final smash would be. Unless they decide the he/she is going to be silent.

Robin is my choice if Micaiah doesn't get in. Gives us a sword/mage/tactician character.

My roster (as of now) is:

-Marth
-Micaiah
-Chrom
-Robin

Possibly with two console exclusives (Micaiah for Wii U and Robin for 3DS)

Of which they can be transferred over later

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Personally for Fire Emblem, I think it should get as much characters as Mario and Pokémon.
My Characters:
Marth
Roy
Ike
Micaiah
Sothe
Chrom
Tactician

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally for Fire Emblem, I think it should get as much characters as Mario and Pokémon.
My Characters:
Marth
Roy
Ike
Micaiah
Sothe
Chrom
Tactician
Woah!

Mario has at most had 5.

Pokemon has at most had 6.

That's more than 6 characters.

Fire Emblem will get four characters max! Three is much more likely.

Besides, why Sothe?

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
Woah!

Mario has at most had 5.

Pokemon has at most had 6.

That's more than 6 characters.

Fire Emblem will get four characters max! Three is much more likely.

Besides, why Sothe?
I say DLC! Also, these are the characters I want in. I'd like any variation of them.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
I added two sections, signatures generously provided by Frost (without permission, but I think hes okay with it :p) and a section about Robin's name which hasn't been consistant.
I'm curious what other people think. Grant that he/she gets added to SSB4, which name will be displayed?

Here's the info I added about each name I've heard used. If you have something I missed, speak up and I'll include it.

Name:

As I made apparent in the introduction this character has the interesting issue of deciding what to call him/her. Here are the four names and why each one is used.
This name is more-so recognizing the mechanic of this character. Avatar is a commonly used term for the graphical representation of a person. Because of this fans often refer to your character in FE13 as the Avatar. This is further supported by text in game like "Create an Avatar", when you first create your character or the "Avatar Logbook", which can include your own and other players' Avatars. The downside of this name is that, when taken out of the context of FE13, it doesn't make sense. There is nothing in the actual story that refers to him/her as "avatar" that would justify it being the real name. In smashbros the character wouldn't actually be specifically your avatar, so I tend to stay away from this term. On top of all this, the name can be easily confused with other things.
My Unit (MU):
The term My Unit was coined in FE12, when the avatar functionality was first used. In this game avatar was instead referred to as My unit. Naturally this name was carried over from FE12 to FE13 despite never being used in Awakening. Many fans simply use this name as short-hand, typing "MU". Overall, its not very name-like and its not likely to appear on the smash bros roster.
Robin:
This name is the default name for the your character. Its similar to how in the Legend of Zelda the name Link is always left in the name slot before you give him a new one. Most people prefer the change the name of FE13's avatar but plenty of people seem to agree that this is the character's official name. One of the best things about this choice is that its an actual name. The bad part is that the name isn't consistent among all versions of fire emblem.
The Tactician:
A name rarely used, but I've heard people other than myself refer to the character as the Tactician. This name comes from his/her class and role in the army. There are many points in the plot that your character is referred to as Tactician too. The Pokemon Trainer is popularly named Red, yet in smashbros he was simply called the Pokemon trainer. I see this as a similar situation to the name Tactician. "Tactician" also eludes to the tactician in FE7 and fire emblem's strategic roots, making it an excellent contender. The downside is the name isn't popularly used. [/collpase]

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
While I admit I think Robin would be a good/interesting addition, personally I feel his/her chances are dependant on a lot of unknowns. The big one is whether or not Sakurai sees him/her as their own character or as a player avatar. If it's the latter, then IMO Robin likely has very little chance.

If Sakurai does see Robin as his/her own character, then IMO s/he has a fair shot. If Sakurai wants an Awakening rep, but feels that Chrom/Lucina wouldn't be interesting or unique enough, then he might look towards Robin as a playable rep.

Top Bottom