• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Time to Tip the Scales Again! - Robin Social Thread

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman

Summary
Robin is the Avatar character in Fire Emblem Awakening and a newcomer in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. Appearing as not only a sword fighter, but as well as a unique tome user - this tactician brought the mage perspective of the Fire Emblem series to Smash with various spells. Since then, Robin has continued to remain fairly popular and has made appearances in multiple FE titles since Awakening.

Robin has returned for a second time as a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as well. Both male and female incarnations of the Avatar return as well while sporting slight variations to their respective alternate costumes.

Moveset

Specials:

Neutral Special: Thunder

"Lightning magic that can be charged to cast Elthunder, Arcthunder, and Thoron."

Up Special: Elwind

"Cast wind magic downward, dealing damage and boosting you into the air twice."

Side Special: Arcfire

"Cast a spell to throw a ball of fire. When it hits, it triggers a pillar of flames."

Down Special: Nosferatu

"A dark curse that steals the life force of enemies."

Extras
Alternate costumes:

Let's use this thread to discuss Robin and any changes you'd like to see with the character. Share your strategies, keep positive, and have fun in your future battles! Keep this civilized fellow tacticians!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Robin was really a cool choice with the sword and magic set. I’d love to see him come back!

Derp, can't spell...

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Kind of unsure on Robin's chances on making it into Smash Switch. Could make a case for either way really. But ultimately character representation in this game largely boils down to the dev team's philosophy on overall roster size, what criteria they use for who gets in and who doesn't (both in general and per franchise), the time and resources available to them, etc.

But as for a wishlist of things I'd like to see for Robin if she indeed does make it into the game (without going super crazy):
-jumpsquat 7f-->5f
-Bronze Sword matches length of the Levin Sword, hitboxes changed to match new length
-Arcfire does a better job at keeping people stuck inside it a la Arcthunder
-a new Utilt; basically make it something like....well basically most other swordie Utilts really

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Was wondering when someone would post this thread. Robin is definitely mine favourite Smash character of all time. Nobody else on the roster feels more natural to me. That said, I really hope he doesn't get cut. Non-clone characters have been cut before.

Fire Emblem Fates is the first Fire Emblem game since Gaiden to feature unbreakable weapons. That said, I wonder if this will be the same for future Fire Emblem titles. If so, then I would deeply appreciate the removal of Robin's limitations. I dare say, running out of Wind magick at the wrong time is not convenient.

I really wish Arcfire and Arcthunder had less endlag. It would make follow ups so much easier. Furthermore, I really didn't like the change to his jab in patch 1.1.5. They should have increased the hitstun, not the knockback. That would have made his fire jab that much more reliable. Overall, I feel Robin needs a lot more polishing, and I'm hoping he does get polished in Smash Switch--assuming, of course, he returns.

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
I feel Robin is one of the most safe newcomers from Smash 4 to return. He/she does rep the game that made Fire Emblem break into mainstream and also forfills one of Sakurai's most important criteria, namely a character that stands out in the roster due they have a unique moveset due their gimmick (in Robin's case him being a Mage character and the weapon breaking)

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel Robin is one of the most safe newcomers from Smash 4 to return. He/she does rep the game that made Fire Emblem break into mainstream and also forfills one of Sakurai's most important criteria, namely a character that stands out in the roster due they have a unique moveset due their gimmick (in Robin's case him being a Mage character and the weapon breaking)
While I do agree that Robin fits the criteria quite well, I am somewhat worried given the excess nature of Fire Emblem in Smash. I highly doubt Robin is the character that will be cut, but the potential is definitely there if they want to keep Corrin to "represent" Fates and Lucina can more or less do the same for Awakening. I would not even count out Chrom this time around either. All I am saying, in a world where Mewtwo was cut... Twice, anything can happen.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
So while I know that Lucina is much more popular as a character, Robin is so unique and such a breath of fresh air for the FE reps. I'd be really upset if they didn't come back.

Personally, I wasn't great with Robin at first, I really had to work at it to git gud, but I felt like the effort was worth it. Plus Awakening is a perfect game so don't betray me again Sakurai I've got my eyes on you

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Robin was my personal favourite newcomer in Sm4sh, and I too really hope he returns.

Robin just fit my playstyle very well - I found it brilliant how even spells like Nosferatu were implemented (despite him being inspired from the tactician class ) as well as the breakable tomes. Additionally, Robin draws the fine line from a swordsman from the FE series with a good mix of mage elements as well - making quite a unique combination imo.

While there are areas about Robin's kit that could certainly be improved, I really enjoyed maining him in Sm4sh and would love to see the strategist return in the next entry. :4robinm:

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
If Robin returns I hope he gets more diversity in hair styles and faces since he is an avatar

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
All in all, I'm not too worried about Robin's chances. A standout newcomer with a very unique moveset from a series that grew to prominence at the very same time, his odds of being cut are near zero. Assuming there are cuts at all, and who knows if there will be if this thing started as an enhanced port.

Should be interesting to see what changes are made, though. Somehow, Robin ended up with the frame data and animation of a ranged grab (think Greninja), but the hitbox placement of a melee grab, despite not actually grabbing with his hand. Then there're other touch ups I wouldn't mind, like making Arcfire's hitboxes a little bigger to make it more reliable at trapping and setting up followups, or fixing Robin's jab so that both finishers actually work well in the same patch for the first time ever. Or if they're up for something more dynamic, how about giving the end of Elwind what Olimar's up special has, where he doesn't go into freefall immediately and can perform one action before freefall kicks in? Would let him cover his ascent with a well timed Levin aerial and not have to rely on maneuvering around edgeguards all the time.

That said...I'm still worried about if it'd help people's views on Robin in the long run. From observing things over the last few years, I've realized his viability is actively harmed by how he was perceived from the get go. Considered too slow to be a threat despite not wanting to rush people down, too campy despite preferring to fight at midrange and not long range, too spammy despite his mix of swordplay and spells being some of the most complex and versatile zoning in the game. His aerials, deemed too slow to keep people out despite being nigh unpunishable when used correctly. Arcfire, nothing more than a bad, laggy wall despite actually being built for situational trapping and not for use in neutral.

In truth, most Smashers saw Robin, expected Toon Link or Duck Hunt, saw he didn't do Toon Link things or Duck Hunt things very well, then declared him a lost cause before ever bothering to look up what Robin things were. Part of me worries that no matter what buffs he receives, he'll never see the top half of any tier list ever unless those buffs are specifically to his run speed and startup to make him more like what he was expected to be rather than accentuate what he was meant to be.

But, look at me, prophesying doom like this. Not very tactician-like, is it? After all, we're not pawns of some scripted fate.

On a brighter note, it'll be interesting to see if any of Robin's palette swaps get changed up. Could we see one based on Kiran's colors, from Heroes? Could female Robin's pink variant see an upgrade to look more like Katarina's colors? And what if we see more extensive alternate costumes this time around? I doubt I'm the only one hoping for a Grandmaster outfit.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot imagine Robin being cut; Sakurai flat out said that he adds the essence of Fire Emblem games to Smash, and additionally inspired the infamous quote about needing to see characters dance in his head to work.

Robin is not going anywhere.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I had this idea, and let me hear your thoughts, guys.

Not to steal the "thunder" of ideas from the newcomer speculation in regards to Celica, but an idea I had seen tossed around was recoil damage from using spells.

The lands of Valentia and Archanea are located in the same world, meaning the events of both continents co-exist. This applies to Awakening as well, since the land of Ylisse is merely Archanea in one millennium. In Valentia, the mages used spells without tomes or staves. This had a cost; their life force.

This got me thinking, if a mage in Fire Emblem is to use a tome, they can cast that magic (as long as they know it) without consuming their life energy. Hence why each tome has a specific number of uses, because each use consumes a portion of the book which is magically designed to protect the life energies of the users.

With this in mind, it can technically be implied that mages who use tomes can also cast that magic without the tomes, at the cost of life energy.

So, here's my suggestion: Whenever Robin fully uses up a tome, he doesn't lose access to that type of magic; he merely loses the ability to use that magic safely. Once he's used up a tome, he's still fully capable of performing that magic again without it, but it deals recoil damage that varies depending upon the strength of the magic used.

Eventually, just like in Sm4sh, he'd reacquire the tomes he's lost, and thus gain safe usage of each spell again.

I think a mechanic like this would be interesting to see, and it would automatically make Nosferatu a spell worth making stronger.

Altais

Smash Champion
So, here's my suggestion: Whenever Robin fully uses up a tome, he doesn't lose access to that type of magic; he merely loses the ability to use that magic safely. Once he's used up a tome, he's still fully capable of performing that magic again without it, but it deals recoil damage that varies depending upon the strength of the magic used.
That's actually not a bad idea. Like I said before, running out of Wind magick at the wrong time is not fun. Ergo, if nothing else, this change would make recovery that much safer. Furthermore, his jabs would still be reliable, even if his Wind or Fire tome is broken.

I approve.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
but but... throwing books at people is pure distilled charm.

I actually love the uses mechanic, means that i need to plan and manage. plus robin trash is actually great and versatile projectiles, and let you do fun stuff like turning an unsafe aereal into safe by just discarding a levinsword in someone's face.

Yeah, running out of wind charges can be annoying, but since teh recharge is so fast you only are at danger of this if the charge is lost in the middle of the move.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I just want him to not be so clunky and slow.
Also, Chrom what the hell are you doing in my Victory intro. Get your ass over to Lucina because you certainly didn't help me.

Altais

Smash Champion
Glad to know he's back--though I'm not surprised.

I deeply appreciate the weapon durability bars they added to Robin's icon. Saves me the trouble of keeping count. I look forward to seeing how he plays in this faster-paced Smash.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I'm so so SO glad Robin made it back and excited to see what kind of improvements we're getting! With just a little more speed I feel like she would be an extremely deadly character. Since Sakurai has been trying to slowly buff her up to par since her inception, I feel like he might be tempted to give her a little more nudge in that direction.

Folt

Smash Ace
Yes! My second main is back! Looking forward to using him again! (Also happy to see his green costume back! Now to see if we get White Mage!Robin as well.)

Also, his render looks awesome!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Very happy to see him back, and that Levin Sword/Tomes meter is a very welcoming change for Robin indeed!

Seems like his Elwind doesn't cover as much distance as Sm4sh, but that might just be me! Looking forward to playing the tactician once again!

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Do we know what the change to Elwind is based on the footage we've seen in his character intro clip on the website?? It looks from that one clip that the angle was changed on the second shot. Perhaps he can aim it now.(?)

EDIT: Here's the vid for those of you who haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
I am under the impression that Robin can aim Elwind, as well as the direction of his ascent. If you pay close attention, when he fires the first wind blade to the right, he rises to the left--and vice versa. I fancy that if the player holds no direction, Robin will simply go upward.

Personally, I like this change, as it not only enhances Robin's recovery, but also Elwind's offensive properties.

I also like the change to Robin's jab. Not only is the animation more dexterous, the move is noticeably faster. Hopefully the fire finish can actually true combo now.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I agree with Altais that this version of Elwind seems to provide more control of the blades itself, but looking at the brief footage again leaves me with the impression that the height distance was nerfed a bit, on account that Robin is definitely heavier...so uh, a nerf with benefits? Now I really hope those blades can be controlled.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
So I know that we haven't gotten a render for Female Robin yet for Smash Ultimate, so for my Sunset Shores stuff I basically just stole a similar posed Robin's hair from FE Heroes and threw it onto Male Robin's form... I think it works

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Speaking of art, I'm certainly loving the updated portraits of both Robins, they look like they aged about 5 years and look a bit more mature as their faces look more sculpted and defined...in an anime style way that is. Their new poses speak of their character well, at least for M Robin.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Looks like I am the new mod around here, so I guess I should make my presence known. Hi folks. :p

Like everyone else here, I was really happy to see our tacticians (and all the other FE characters too) return for Ultimate. Here's to tipping more scales for years to come!

Still waiting on that female Robin render, though. Nintendo pls

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Like everyone else here, I was really happy to see all FE characters return for Ultimate. Here's to tipping more scales for years to come!
Long time no see!! I was overjoyed to learn of everyone's return. The roster is almost complete, now. Now we just need Takumi, Chrom, Hector, Ephraim, Tiki, Cordelia, Celica, Morgan, and Innes. Then we'll have everyone we need.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hi there Robins.

I'm kinda somewhat of a Robin player. Pocket to be moreso accurate. I dabble with the character occasionally on For Glory.

I'm fond of Awakening and a FE fan since Path of Radiance. The oldest I've finished was Binding Blade and am going through Genealogy of the Holy War atm.

I watched this thread so I hope I can meet you all and make friends.

What up though.

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
So.... We haven't seen Chrom yet. Does this (perhaps) mean new final Smash for our High Deliverer :ultrobin??? Maybe even Chrom as an Echo fighter :ultike:???

Hi there Robins.

I'm kinda somewhat of a Robin player. Pocket to be moreso accurate. I dabble with the character occasionally on For Glory.

I'm fond of Awakening and a FE fan since Path of Radiance. The oldest I've finished was Binding Blade and am going through Genealogy of the Holy War atm.

I watched this thread so I hope I can meet you all and make friends.

What up though.
Greetings!!! I love seeing new people drawn to our fold. We're all very different people from very different places and backgrounds, but we all have one thing in common: we loves us our Smash, and we loves us our Robin!!!

I've mained Robin since the Smash 4's been out; he's easily my favorite character to play. Which is really saying something, since I've been having fun with just about every character on the roster since Melee, and they're all great in Sm4sh. It's great to see him return; he's easily the best rep the FE series has had, as he represents so much of the core gameplay of FE games in his moveset.

Not to mention WIZARDS!!!

It's always good to see another Rabinz fan jump aboard our weaboat (AKA the ship ship.)

Nah

Smash Champion
So.... We haven't seen Chrom yet. Does this (perhaps) mean new final Smash for our High Deliverer :ultrobin??? Maybe even Chrom as an Echo fighter :ultike:???
I think it's too early to tell. The big info dump from E3 was only a week or two ago, and while we saw some character's final smashes, there's also still plenty that we didn't see. Maybe Robin's getting a new one, maybe not.

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Though I doubt it will happen, I think it would be cool if both Robins had an alternate costume based on the Summoner from Fire Emblem Heroes. Speaking from experience, Fire Emblem Heroes is an excellent game, so that would be a great way to promote it.

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Summoner_(Heroes)
That would be interesting. It begs the question: how much mobile content representation will we get in Smash Ultimate?? I don't expect too much, as Sakurai hasn't even mentioned mobile games as having any impact or relevance on Smash yet. But we'll see.

Thoughts??

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
That would be interesting. It begs the question: how much mobile content representation will we get in Smash Ultimate?? I don't expect too much, as Sakurai hasn't even mentioned mobile games as having any impact or relevance on Smash yet. But we'll see.

Thoughts??
Why would he need to mention it?

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Robins spells and levin sword look incredible with new fuzzy windwaker style and those explosive sounds are really cool. I also loved his artwork. I will take robin in my radar ^^ now have to narrow down between peach ike corrin and robin :/

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Why would he need to mention it?
I feel like mobile games are a bit of an iffy territory to traverse in Smash Bros. He might want to focus primarily on content that's appeared on main games of core series and on Nintendo consoles. Save for the third party characters, but they've always been exceptions to the general rule.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I feel like mobile games are a bit of an iffy territory to traverse in Smash Bros. He might want to focus primarily on content that's appeared on main games of core series and on Nintendo consoles. Save for the third party characters, but they've always been exceptions to the general rule.
My point still stands. If he was going to include content from mobile games, he wouldn't need to mention it.

Top Bottom