• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time to Get the Ball Rolling! - Glover for Smash Ultimate!

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
SUPPORT GLOVER FOR SMASH ULTIMATE!
DY1KtA8VAAAnhcM.png

Who - or What - is Glover?

Glover is the titular main character of a cult classic platformer for the Nintendo 64 called "Glover". He's the disembodied hand of a wizard who rolls around balls and attempts to restore his owner (the Wizard)'s castle to its former glory after an unfortunate potion-crafting accident. To do this, he must navigate through several different worlds, looking for bits of a crystal and roll them back to the Wizard's Castle.
...Yeah, it's a weird game.

What makes Glover a good choice for Smash Bros.?

There are multiple reasons why Glover is a good choice for Smash Bros! For starters, he's a character which originated on the N64 - something Smash Bros. desperately and glaringly lacks! Second, he'd be a Hasbro Piko Interactive (a small company known for its completion and licensing of old, unfinished games) rep, which is also something we don't yet have in Ultimate!
The most important and unique aspect of Glover that makes him a great choice for Smash Bros., however, would be his very large moveset potential!

What would Glover even do that makes him so special?

Glover is not dependent on his ball to move around, but it would serve as his main projectile weapon. This means Glover could have a very unique moveset that changes depending on whether or not he is currently on the ball or separate from it! For instance, his down aerial with the ball would slam the ball down on a platform and then bounce back up. But if Glover is on his own, however, he would merely slam himself down and hit the platform without bouncing off.

He could also throw the ball in an arc and slow his descent using his neutral B, similarly to Yoshi's up-B. His neutral B allows him to spawn another ball (since he does not start with one) after a short cooldown, and his down-B allows him to switch between the Standard Ball, the Marble (which is smaller but lighter), and the Bowling Ball (which is much heavier but also much stronger).

However, while on the ball, Glover cannot ledge-grab without losing it, and his momentum and weight are both significantly increased. Also, opponents can knock away the ball with enough hits, so be careful!

This makes for a special playstyle based on managing your main weapon, which is also a disjointed projectile, while also playing keep-away with your opponent! This is a playstyle and concept significantly different from both any other fighter currently on the roster, as well as any other major possible addition to Smash!

Supporters:
fleshdude.gov fleshdude.gov
smash puffle smash puffle
Luigifan18 Luigifan18
C chocolatejr9
ItsMeBrandon ItsMeBrandon

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I support this as well — I've played this game a lot. I never could beat it without cheat codes, though...

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I've decided that I'm gonna start nominating Glover for the RTC thread every day until he's reached enough votes to be voted on!

Hopefully that'll help drum up some interest and support for Glover!
The little guy needs all the help he can get...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm willing to support. I'm a bit of a sucker for obscure platformer characters. I should probably mention, though, that I think Glover is owned by a company called "Piko Interactive", though I don't necessarily know if they own the full rights, or just the rights to rerelease the original and finish Glover 2.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I'm willing to support. I'm a bit of a sucker for obscure platformer characters. I should probably mention, though, that I think Glover is owned by a company called "Piko Interactive", though I don't necessarily know if they own the full rights, or just the rights to rerelease the original and finish Glover 2.
Thanks for informing me! I updated the OP with this info.

Looking into it, they say they have the full distribution rights to the licenses they manage, so I think they now own the Glover franchise rights.

https://twitter.com/Pikointeractive/status/976518896680407041

Also, check out this twitter post from March of last year from Piko themselves!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Oh man, I remember playing Glover on my N64 back in the day. Not exactly a direct competitor to Mario 64 or Banjo-Kazooie, but it had a lot of charm, and I enjoyed the pure platforming gameplay quite a bit. I was even really sad to learn later that a sequel had been worked on but was ultimately cancelled.

I don't think Glover has a chance of anything beyond being a spirit, but count me in as a supporter. Glover's ball mechanics would be super fun to use in Smash, and I'd just be down with any and all Glover representation in Ultimate.

Top Bottom