• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time of Smashing

Talwind

Smash Cadet
Alright so my goal for rest of the year is to hold as many tournaments as I can lol. I'm planning to run it the same way as I ran Talwind's, unless theres some big objections.

A week after Pound, I figure everybody wants to Melee some more. Prove me right.

Chibo's helping me do this thing too.

Date

Saturday
February 26th, 2011

Venue

La Salle University (1900 W. Olney Ave)
La Salle Union, Music Room(2nd Floor)
Philadelphia, PA 19141

Obviously most of those chairs will be gone to free up room, The room is bigger than it looks, apparently it can hold like 100 people, but i doubt ill get even half that to come lol.

Directions
I am not good at telling directions at all so if you are driving there, Google Maps can explain it better than me but I'll try my best to answer questions. If you're taking the public transport in Philly, you can get on the Septa Northbound subway train to Olney TC, from there you can walk a bit west down Olney Ave and you'll see a gate opening to the school. If its not open(I'm not sure it opens on weekends) you can just keep walking turn the corner and go through the car driveway on the left.

http://www.lasalle.edu/campusmap/Campus_Map_2010_Sept.pdf

This is a map of our campus, and the tourney would be at 48.

Parking
If you look at the map to the far left theres a big parking lot that isnt too far from the venue, if you're lucking u can find a parking spot in front of the university where that gate entrance is.

My Contact Info

Phone : 609 470 0597
AIM : TalwindeX
Email: deryced1@student.lasalle.edu

Contact me if your running late, etc.

Entry Information

Venue Fee: $3
Doubles - $5/person, $10/team
Singles - $10/person

Not bad right
Payout

I'll pay out more than top 3 if we get enough people. I don't want to make any promises yet though. This all depends on how many people show up the day of. Same goes for teams. There will probably be some scrubs that enter from the university, so yeah..more money for the pot.

Schedule

Alright guys, we have this venue from like 10am - 11pm. I want to try and get through everything as fast as possible and if everything is done by like 9, I want people to try and leave so we make a good impression for next time. Here's the schedule:

11am - 12pm : Friendlies and Doubles Registration
12pm - 3pm : Doubles Tournament
3pm - 7pm : Singles Tournament
7pm - 10pm : Draft Crews (time permitting)

Towards the end of doubles or whenever you have time, feel free to sign up for singles so we don't have to set aside time just for people to pay for singles, that would be a waste. If we're going to do draft crews, once again we'll start setting this up during the end of singles.

Setups
The venue can provide me with two or three CRTs and I have a Wii and melee. Obviously we're gonna need more than that. I want to have like 8 setups at this thing, at least. Bring everything you can, no matter what. Surge protectors, TV's, cubes/wii's, copies of smash, everything. You bring a full setup, I'll waive the venue fee.

Setups

Me(x3 TVs, 1 Wiis, 1 Melee)
Chibo(x3 TVs, 1 Cube, 1 Melee)
John Buch( 2 TVs, N64, Smash 64)
Metal Reaper(1 Cube, 1 Melee)
SneakyDave(1 Cube, 1 Melee)

Who's Coming

Me
Chibo
John Bucholski( Not sure of tag)
Vino?
Ranmaru
CanISmash
No Cash
Palpi?
Metal Reaper
jreed
j1zz
Eggm
StriCNYN3
SneakyDave

Rules

Please, no stupid ****.
No drinking or smoking inside the venue.
No illegal activities. I know the melee communities pretty mature so there shouldnt be any probs.

Standard MBR ruleset.
MBR Recommended Rule Set
Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Singles and Teams)

This is the updated and simplified recommended rule set for Super Smash Bros. Melee. This rule set is strictly recommended in an effort to maintain an encompassing standard for our vast community. This rule set is not for copying into a tournament thread, as some small personal tweaks will still need to be addressed. These are dependent solely on the Tournament Host and any authorized assistance.

Stage List

Singles

Starter Stage List:
  • Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Teams

Starter Stage List:
  • Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
  • Past Stages: Dream Land
  • Special Stages: Final Destination
  • Special Stages: Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
  • Planet Zebes: Brinstar
  • Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
  • Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

General Rules

• Items are set to off.
  • Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  • Regular sets are best of 3 matches.
  • The Tournament Host is the arbiter of all disputes.
  • Blind Picks: the first character selection of a set must be without prior knowledge of the opponent's character selection for both players.
  • Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.
  • Gentleman's clause: any stage may be played on so long as both players and the Tournament Host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR).
  • Timed out matches will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, replay that match. Any Sudden Death match is strictly not to be played.

Additional Rules for Teams Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed
  • Set team attack to ON

Redwood Counter Pick System

1. Blind Picks character selection.
  2. Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage. Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
  3. The first match is played.
  4. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage.
  5. The losing player of preceding match picks stage for the next match.
  6. The winning player of preceding match picks character.
  7. The losing player picks character.
  8. The next match is played.
  9. Repeat 4-8 for all consecutive matches as necessary until the set is complete.

Recommendations to Tournament Hosts

• Players are responsible for their own general welfare in regards to the tournament. In other words, players are responsible for:

1. Being familiar with the rule set and stage list
    2. Entrance and venue fees
    3. Arriving on time
    4. Maintaining personal hygiene
    5. Controllers and Character Knowledge
    6. Minimizing Johns

• Sets are usually based on brackets which may be seeded at the Tournament Host's discretion. If your tournament is any other format, make a note to advertise it accordingly.
  • Some kind of stalling prevention is highly recommended. Since a definition of stalling is too potentially ambiguous here, all instances of stalling are determined by the Tournament Host.
  • Unnecessary delays in a set should be discouraged. This can occur before (not playing a match) or during (taking an unnecessary amount of time to counter pick) and after (not reporting) a set that has been called. The Tournament Host is recommended to keep tabs on set completion.
  • No more than the previous match should be replayed in the event of a rule violation and it is recommended that any disputes be brought promptly and quickly to the Tournament Host's attention.
  • When running a pool, the game count of each set in pool play should be recorded (i.e. whether the set was 2-0 or 2-1). Ranking in a pool is determined by the number of sets won. In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker is the win/loss ratio of the individual games, where the higher ratio wins. In the event of a tie in both set victories and match-up ratios, the player who won the set between the disputed players should advance.
  • The semi-final and championship sets should be in at least best of 5 format.
  • Wireless controllers should be discouraged or banned because of interference, unreliability (battery life), and time hindrance.
  • The Tournament Host reserves the right at any time to make anyone leave the premises of the tournament.
  • For all Melee tournaments, use of the character Metaknight is banned.
Wobbling banned.

EVERYBODY COME.

Vino

Smash Cadet
I'll go if enough people enter :/
Do you have to sign up or do you just say your coming and pay when you get there?

Talwind

Smash Cadet
I havent been able to update in a while due to being busy but Tournament time guys! GET HYPE.

ALSO, SETUPS!!! need more melees and cubes.

johnfive

Smash Rookie
i will be there. I hope there will be people there who like to play and are good at smash for N64.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'm there. I will **** hopefully. : D

Eggm

Smash Hero
I'll be here with stric 9. Hopefully Cactus comes to team with me otherwise i'm claiming stric 9. :)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Chibo you better upload vids this tieeeeeeeeeeeeem PLZ

SneakyDave

Smash Cadet
does a "full setup" entail TV and GC?
I can bring GC+melee to waive venue fee pls :)

edit: i could also bring my dazzle recording thing if someone wants to use it

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
How many people does it look like are coming to this? I could always bus up. Would just need housing. =)

Talwind

Smash Cadet
does a "full setup" entail TV and GC?
I can bring GC+melee to waive venue fee pls :)

edit: i could also bring my dazzle recording thing if someone wants to use it

I consider that full setup, so sure I'll waive that. I'll waive the hell outta dat.

can't come =/ goin home this weekend
Breaking my heart man :[

MOAR PEOPLE, MORE SETUPS(Melees and systems especially)

Also, me and chibo in teams will destroy everything.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Sorry ma dude Talwind. Can't make it to this, next time man :)

@Eggm, Marquise can't make it, he's going with his mom to NY.

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
Maybe depends if Cactuar is goin cause he owes me money lol ;) Same deal though that I work till 12 so will be there after I get off work...

StriCNYN3

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually coming to this.
Also, does anyone care if I bring a PM setup? I feel like getting some matches recorded just for the hell of it

Top Bottom