• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilt Stick or Smash Stick for Marth?

Arcane_

Smash Cadet
I've been debating on switching to tilt stick for my Marth after using smash stick for a while. I know tilts are better for starting combos and are less easy to punish, but I'm not sure going through the effort to adjust is worth it. Any thoughts?

Diarkia124

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
JMAN#346
Definitely change to tilt. Makes them more consistent and honestly would be worth the trade off of adjusting.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Almost every character in this game wants tilt stick. Marth wants it even more than most. You can easily Utilt on demand for anti-air and run into Utilt to get under somebody. Ftilt is your best move and you can pivot cancel it, which will be half your kills. Dtilt has kill setups past 100%.

And Smash attacks are far easier to input in this game than they used to be (changing control stick sensitivity makes them even easier to input, so do that too).

Phatty

Smash Cadet
To add to what Viper said, when I want to do up or down tilts out of a run I crouch then flick the C-stick either up or down. It's a thing melee players do without tilt stick but I've always found doing tilts with the control stick to be somewhat inconsistent. This is especially true since I have the stick sensitivity turned to high. You can always use A+B smash if you want a single input Fsmash. That's what I tend to do if I want a quick Fsmash out of parry or something.

One thing I'm curious about is how you currently use smash stick. Would using the control stick and attack button for smashes be a big shift for you? What are your personal pros and cons about changing?

Sweetmamaschili

Smash Rookie
Marth's uptilt is a wonderful kill move. If the opponent is at 120+ then it'll likely delete them instantly. Even if it doesn't it's easy to get a huge juggle going on with it. I highly recommend tilts on the right stick.

Arcane_

Smash Cadet
To add to what Viper said, when I want to do up or down tilts out of a run I crouch then flick the C-stick either up or down. It's a thing melee players do without tilt stick but I've always found doing tilts with the control stick to be somewhat inconsistent. This is especially true since I have the stick sensitivity turned to high. You can always use A+B smash if you want a single input Fsmash. That's what I tend to do if I want a quick Fsmash out of parry or something.

One thing I'm curious about is how you currently use smash stick. Would using the control stick and attack button for smashes be a big shift for you? What are your personal pros and cons about changing?
I mostly use aerials anyway, and after switching I noticed a big improvement actually. I had a tendency to mash smash attacks out of desperation on the ground in times when up tilt does that better and is much harder to punish then fsmash. It also helps me start combos better.

Arcane_

Smash Cadet
Marth's uptilt is a wonderful kill move. If the opponent is at 120+ then it'll likely delete them instantly. Even if it doesn't it's easy to get a huge juggle going on with it. I highly recommend tilts on the right stick.
After some testing I've determined up tilt is a better option 9/10 times than up smash or forward smash. I feel like the kill hitbox is easier to hit than fsmash anyway.

Fizz-sama™

Smash Rookie
Switching to tilt stick was the best decision I've ever made tbh. There was a drastic improvement in my Lucina gameplay. I'm gonna assume Marth will perform just as well with tiltstick.

Dilan Omer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dildry
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
Like everyone else here said. Tilt Stick is the way to go

You can more easily and quickly use your two best moves in neutral. Which is down tilt and forward tilt

Top Bottom